ADVERTISEMENT

USA Basketball at the Olympics

dbav

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2014
I didn't see a thread on this so I thought I'd start one. I've tried to watch every game but missed 1 or 2.

Kyrie is playing well. I think Lowry and DeRozan are also when out there. Camelot has been on another planet in these Olympics.

Cousins is having trouble adjusting to the foul calls in the international game. But I think Jordan has been very effective.

We seem a little uninspired in the group stage, bit I think we'll hit another level in the elimination stages.

Should be better during elimination. We need to be anyway.

This team outside of two or three guys (really Kyrie, Melo, and Thompson) is really struggling playin Euro style ball and they aren't imposing their will enough to make the Euro's adjust. Australia, who plays European ball very well (as does Argentina), gave us fits with the physicality and Serbia just out worked us. The Iso ball and kick out isn't working when the shots aren't falling. Drive and dish in is the way we'll win. The defense hasn't been there either. Jordan and Cousins could be so good spelling each other but each has had their own issues with the International officiating.

This definitely the worst international team we've had since '04 and not because of the talent, but more of the fact these guys aren't playing well together and they're all isolation style players. We'll see if they can get it together but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a loss.

Paul George gave quite an interview after the game.

I like how great teamwork can trump elite talent in these situations. Team USA needs to start looking for the open man and rotating on D. Coach K keeps asking for movement, but he's only getting it 25% of the time. It was a sloppy mess tonight.

Carmelo and Kyrie were clutch against Australia, but both missed shots at the end tonight. A point of personal preference: Deandre and Demarcus should cut the theatrics and act like pros. Everyone else on the team is showing great attitudes. Loved the Serbian PG's leadership. My favorite lineup: Kyrie, Thompson, Derozan, Carmelo, Cousins.

Go USA!

Reactions: dukehokie
I think Klay has been pitiful. All around. And it's not just him. The last few games they all just stand around and watch the ball on both sides. That will get you beat in intl play. We should not have to rely on late game heroics. The shot at the end was a wide open look for SRB.

Effort level is completely inconsistent across the roster. KD has been pathetic considering this should be his team. Getting beat back door and for boards on defense should never happen. Really disappointed with these last two games and they better figure it out quickly.

I think Klay has been pitiful. All around. And it's not just him. The last few games they all just stand around and watch the ball on both sides. That will get you beat in intl play. We should not have to rely on late game heroics. The shot at the end was a wide open look for SRB.

Effort level is completely inconsistent across the roster. KD has been pathetic considering this should be his team. Getting beat back door and for boards on defense should never happen. Really disappointed with these last two games and they better figure it out quickly.

Totally agree about KD, but not so much about Klay. He's been cutting and rolling the "Duke" screen very well, but his teammates have either missed him or he's missed his shots. All will be forgiven if he hits. I would like to see him play better D though. He's a very underrated defender and he could really put this team way over with his defense.

Durant just looks uninspired. This is clearly Melo's team and I love it. He really takes ownership in Olympic play. I know when the team was picked, a lot of people poo-pooed Melo, and he looks like the best pick of them all.

Reactions: DukeDenver
And it's not just him. The last few games they all just stand around and watch the ball on both sides. That will get you beat in intl play.

That was George's entire post game interview. He seemed frustrated that no one moves on offense.

I know some arent, but I've actually been impressed by Jordan when he's in.

I'm not with you at all on Klay thus far hokie- I think this far into the four games he's been awful on both ends. Obviously we know he has the ability to be a perfect fit on this team on both ends but he's to me let his shooting affect his defense which is normally superb.

I hope this changes, and again it's not just him.

I'm not with you at all on Klay thus far hokie- I think this far into the four games he's been awful on both ends. Obviously we know he has the ability to be a perfect fit on this team on both ends but he's to me let his shooting affect his defense which is normally superb.

I hope this changes, and again it's not just him.

He's there to shoot though. And that's my point, he's put himself into position to do his job, perform in his role, but he hasn't done it consistently yet. I can understand how that's frustrating. And to be a guy who relies on passes and everything is Iso, I can see how that becomes an issue.

I do agree his defense has been bad, but like you said, so has everyone else's. And again, K might have told him to lay off so that he can focus on his scoring. He did that with JJ at Duke. I think we'll see a different team during elimination and I think Klay will be the key. Well other than HB40.

We're missing Chris Paul so badly. Kyrie should start driving specifically to draw 2 guys, then move it around the horn. Durant wouldn't be bad as a pg in stretches either. I would kill to see someone like TJ McConnell out there for the sake of argument. We could use someone to simply get everyone's eyes up. Can you imagine Tyus Jones out there? I bet he'd be great. The media would never allow it.

KD just has to be better. He is the marquee name on this team, and he has been plain bad. He was so good in the last few international tournaments, I would be curious to see what is wrong currently. Maybe he is having a difficult time transitioning to the villain role he will occupy in GS and he is in his own head a little bit. He has to figure it out quick.

KD just has to be better. He is the marquee name on this team, and he has been plain bad. He was so good in the last few international tournaments, I would be curious to see what is wrong currently. Maybe he is having a difficult time transitioning to the villain role he will occupy in GS and he is in his own head a little bit. He has to figure it out quick.
Definitely can see that. He's got to be the man. He was lethal the last few intl tournies. He's been soft all around and we need him badly to pick it up.

I feel like there is no one on this team with a killer instinct. They have allowed the last 3 teams to come back when they have had the lead (and for the most part the game at an arms reach.) There are just lackadaisical plays that are made throughout the game... This game for instance, not boxing out, that bad inbounds pass that lead to a France 3 in the 4th, Durant trying to go behind the back instead of just slowing the game down and holding the ball. Giving teams opportunities like that, if capitalized on, brings a confidence.

The main thing is getting the win, but letting these teams hang around gives confidence that the USA is certainly beatable (which they are, at the moment). Going to have to crank up the intensity, and play much better if they want to stand on the top of the podium.
Go USA!

OFC

Reactions: dbav and skysdad
It's just a shame that this team was picked as a defensive team that filled roles on offense and none of those things are being met. If they actually fulfill that, they'll be just fine. The no practice thing is obviously not working with this group and you can already see certain players not buying into their roles.

The main thing is getting the win, but letting these teams hang around gives confidence that the USA is certainly beatable (which they are, at the moment). Going to have to crank up the intensity, and play much better if they want to stand on the top of the podium.
Go USA!

OFC

Said it best ODD... We are at that point now! Survive and Advance!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Go USA!

OFC

That's right dirt. Get the win. That's the most important thing. Get to the next game. Just like in the regular season. The next game is the biggest. OFC

It's just a shame that this team was picked as a defensive team that filled roles on offense and none of those things are being met. If they actually fulfill that, they'll be just fine. The no practice thing is obviously not working with this group and you can already see certain players not buying into their roles.
Agreed. It was nice to see klay snap out of it today and shoot well but wtf was he thinking taking that three at the end of the game there? Dumbest thing I've ever seen. KD again played awful for someone that should be dominating. We could absolutely lose fellas.

The passing was good in the first quarter, then guys started trying too hard to make plays. I wish they'd just play pick up style, except try for the best assists instead of whatever we're doing now. The defense is just lazy or sloppy. Our bigs are awful at rotating.

K actually has some work to do. I think Phil's triangle might be just the medicine.

The passing was good in the first quarter, then guys started trying too hard to make plays. I wish they'd just play pick up style, except try for the best assists instead of whatever we're doing now. The defense is just lazy or sloppy. Our bigs are awful at rotating.

K actually has some work to do. I think Phil's triangle might be just the medicine.
I don't follow that at all Denver. You can't just implement a triangle offense out of nowhere. A system you don't know and no players have a clue how to run.

They need to move the ball and figure out how to play better defense and do it quick.

I don't follow that at all Denver. You can't just implement a triangle offense out of nowhere. A system you don't know and no players have a clue how to run.

They need to move the ball and figure out how to play better defense and do it quick.

The triangle is pretty simple, but you're right, nows not the time to install something like that. We just need more cutting without the ball. Our shooters arent cutting and our cutters cant shoot. We need Tyus.

The ball movement against France was a lot better. I think they had something like 32 assists on 35 field goals. Kyrie had 12 assists and no turnovers.

Their issue right now is defensively. It shouldn't be this easy to score on a team with this athleticism and depth. The international systems of constant ball movement, and five guys who can dribble/pass/shoot is different from the bulk of what they see in the NBA system-wise. It requires a level of attentiveness and engagement that they aren't accustomed to.

The triangle is pretty simple, but you're right, nows not the time to install something like that. We just need more cutting without the ball. Our shooters arent cutting and our cutters cant shoot. We need Tyus.

Not to mention K is not a big fan of the triangle. Haha

The ball movement against France was a lot better. I think they had something like 32 assists on 35 field goals. Kyrie had 12 assists and no turnovers.

Their issue right now is defensively. It shouldn't be this easy to score on a team with this athleticism and depth. The international systems of constant ball movement, and five guys who can dribble/pass/shoot is different from the bulk of what they see in the NBA system-wise. It requires a level of attentiveness and engagement that they aren't accustomed to.

I've played against Euro style teams in tournaments and there is no truer statement than the one you just made. Your communication, switching and positioning are vital to stopping the offenses they use.

And after the game Klay basically alluded to the lack of communication they are experiencing. K was flat out pissed with this team's defense after France and I would be too. This team was put together on the premise of defense, and that's the main thing they are struggling with.

Reactions: HuffyJB
Paul George has also talked about it in the last few postgames. NBA systems are largely built on creating and then capitalizing on mismatches. They want to get shots for their best players (that is one of the reasons for the success of the GSW - a level of ball movement that isn't typical in the NBA). George flat out said that in the NBA there are times where you don't have to be fully engaged on the defensive end, like if there is a ball screen or an isolation play opposite you. That isn't the case against international teams, and these guys are seeing that.

This squad plays ZERO team defense. K & Tibs looked like they were going to have a coronary yesterday. When Boogie turned the ball over, K slammed his feet & Jordan was in immediately. I expect a different K & team in the medal round.

Reactions: DukeDenver
The matchups are set for the medal round. USA opens with the only other team since 1992 to win a gold medal, Argentina. If they win there, they get the winner of the Spain/France matchup, which might be the best other two teams in the tournament. And that is just to get to the gold medal game.

The matchups are set for the medal round. USA opens with the only other team since 1992 to win a gold medal, Argentina. If they win there, they get the winner of the Spain/France matchup, which might be the best other two teams in the tournament. And that is just to get to the gold medal game.
Surprised the NCAA didn't step in and give us the easiest route.

I like us in the bracket. We have K.

^ Yeah, that is a tough complaint to lay at his feet, considering how many turned down the offer or are injured. If all the top choices had accepted, over half of the current roster wouldn't be there. But you will never hear K complain and make excuses about all that. You play with who you have.

Coach K getting some heat from folks due to the Round Mound's critique of the team's construction. Hard to blame the coach for players who dont want to play defense but the Coach K haters are ready to pile on!

http://www.espn.com/olympics/basket...oster-construction-not-good-team-put-together

Yeah, the haters are almost in glee with anticipation of a USA loss. What happened to that "just roll the ball out there" and the USA wins. Everyone and his brother thinks they know how to win the Olympics, yet it took K and Colangelo to put together a road map for making the USA a force again in international competition.
I'm hoping Team USA can impose it's will on the rest of this Olympics.
Go USA!

OFC

Coach K getting some heat from folks due to the Round Mound's critique of the team's construction. Hard to blame the coach for players who dont want to play defense but the Coach K haters are ready to pile on!

http://www.espn.com/olympics/basket...oster-construction-not-good-team-put-together
He's not necessarily wrong. There are a ton of ball dominant players. It's not like you didn't have ball dominant guys on the last team, or the team before that. But to his point, there were "role" players and more importantly facilitators on those teams (the role players didn't play much). Those teams had guys like Bron, Chris Paul, J-Kidd, etc.and this team does not have that.

Now part of playing for the USA or something bigger than yourself, you need to sacrifice. And the concern isn't necessarily on the offensive end (although he is right there is a ton of standing around). Paul George, Klay etc. all pointed this out. But Barkley is definitely right, when it's not going right, or you're not getting the rock, they tend to mope. And against teams that move the ball around at warp speed you can't take plays off on defense- looking at you KD.

The weaknesses of this team are extremely fixable- get over yourself, realize it's a one and done tourney and you're playing for the USA- you'll get your shots in the 82 game season that comes. That includes Kyrie, who needs to get people involved and help move the ball around. But it has to be on the defensive end that they change the most. Stop moping just b/c you're not getting all the shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT