ADVERTISEMENT

***Post Game Thread - KANSAS***

I too think he will continue to give 9 time. I think Jeter's minutes will get squeezed, but he isn't completely going anywhere. He has earned time.

He still has the fire. No doubt about that. He does seem to get down a lot more this year. just doesn't seem to be having as much fun. But he has a lot of pressure right now with all of the injuries. I think he is settling some this year. But I don't blame him. Right now if he goes down then we are in big trouble. His shots will start falling. He is too good with too many weapons offensively to be down for long

Those shots were halfway down and out. Talk about offline. I'm not worried if he keeps shooting it like that because those will start to fall.

Definitely wanted to see how Javin does against better competition. I don't know how the rotation is going to be. Lol K was stingy with them minutes last night ha ha

Reactions: hart2chesson
Ahh, the ole I don't agree with the post so I will delete it. It's okay and actually healthy to have differing viewpoints. Don't abuse your power because you don't agree with someone's point or comment.

There's plenty of discussion on the game thread about it. Join in over there. No need for a whole thread jumping a player who didn't do anything to deserve that. Your Bilas post is still standing isn't it?

The "you don't agree, you're abusing power" act is old. News flash, I'm a moderator on a messageboard. If you saw the paycheck we got, you'd realize how stupid it is to complain about power abuse. I'll give you a hint: $0. Hahaha so lame.

Yeah something seems to be off. I'm not sure what it is. Being the Preseason NPOY you have to have better performances against top level competition or else perception becomes reality.

I can get pretty worked up over losses... but this one, I just shrugged, grinned, thought "That was close!" and turned off the TV.

I feel like these games, with so many guys out... they matter, but they don't MATTER. You know? Like... we stuck with a team that will contend for a title without three of our top four guys, including most of our interior D, which will be huge in helping to stop drives. We only ran six deep, and our guys just got exhausted.

Anyway else feeling that way right now? I just can't get worked up over this loss; the boys played a hard game and almost came away with a win that should NEVER have happened. Right now is just about getting guys reps, getting them in situations to get experience... a loss is fine; it grinds the gears of the guys who played and annoys the guys who didn't.

I haven't been so NOT upset at a game since the 102-100 Duke/UNC game.

Agree. I cared less about losing this game than I cared about winning it. But only as long as something is learned from it.

I am not saying I am worried about Grayson as a player, I am just saying something seems not quite right and I am not sure what it is.
Last year my 9 year old son wrote a young authors story about Grayson for school and with everyone on this boards encouragement I sent it to him. About 3 months later my son got a hand written letter from Grayson telling him how much he appreciated the story.

I think no one is harder on Grayson than Grayson. In my opinion he will calm down and realize he doesn't need to do it all and will be fine.

Given our thin roster, Kansas was the worst possible matchup for Grayson. Their guards are older than him, and 2 of the toughest, most physical guards in the country. Plus with Amile and Chase out there, Kansas's bigs were always staying around the rim whenever Grayson drove.

He will be fine.

Given our thin roster, Kansas was the worst possible matchup for Grayson. Their guards are older than him, and 2 of the toughest, most physical guards in the country. Plus with Amile and Chase out there, Kansas's bigs were always staying around the rim whenever Grayson drove.

He will be fine.
Again, I am not worried about Grayson as the "player", there are nights when things do not go well.

There's plenty of discussion on the game thread about it. Join in over there. No need for a whole thread jumping a player who didn't do anything to deserve that. Your Bilas post is still standing isn't it?

The "you don't agree, you're abusing power" act is old. News flash, I'm a moderator on a messageboard. If you saw the paycheck we got, you'd realize how stupid it is to complain about power abuse. I'll give you a hint: $0. Hahaha so lame.
Fair enough, but I'd imagine there will be no threads whatsoever about the KU game then? Everything about the game should be posted in the game thread?

We lost because of depth issues, rebounding, and turnovers. I would figure that 3 lottery picks (2 of them big guys) would negate those issues.

We lost because of depth issues, rebounding, and turnovers. I would figure that 3 lottery picks (2 of them big guys) would negate those issues.

Not to mention a guy with the offensive skill set of Tatum would really aid in those stretches where Duke was struggling to score.

Not remotely worried. The role he spent the entire offseason expecting to have, and the entire preseason preparing for, is now on hold. Even so, if a few of those that were halfway down go on in the basket, this conversation probably isn't even happening.

Reactions: dukiejay
Being down three potential game-changers is reality, it's not an excuse. That said, we can't account for how or if it changes the team dynamic. I'm comfortable in saying that with the three of them in the game we probably win last night....at the same time, if Kansas makes a couple jump shots or shoots a respectable percentage from the free throw line we get blown out.

As I said in another post, "excuse" was not the correct wording. Most of you on here were not making excuses but I was looking at twitter this morning and it seemed like that was all I saw.
Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: dbav
As I said in another post, "excuse" was not the correct wording. Most of you on here were not making excuses but I was looking at twitter this morning and it seemed like that was all I saw.
Sorry for the confusion.

I followed what you were saying....so don't worry about it. In a way, I'm in the same boat as you. While I want all three of those young men in the lineup, the reality is that right now they're not. We have to play, win or lose, with the cards we're dealt. That's our reality.

Don't get me wrong, I loved our team something fierce last year....but they had deficiencies. Last night, with those three freshman, I saw those same deficiencies. And while I'm not sure those three cure all the problems, I do think it gives us a better chance to mask them.

Perhaps there should be a daily podcast focusing on how much Matt Jones sucks. It could be produced by 2 skerz 3, Get Nasty, and Pisgah.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
Not remotely worried. The role he spent the entire offseason expecting to have, and the entire preseason preparing for, is now on hold. Even so, if a few of those that were halfway down go on in the basket, this conversation probably isn't even happening.

Spot on, IMO. I'm not worried at all. Grayson is a great player who last night wasn't great. He'd be the first to tell you that.

I think you pointed out what I touched on in another thread....last night Grayson had to revert to the Grayson of last season. He gets a couple of those jumpers in the first half to fall (they were pretty much right on, btw) and it could have been a completely different night. We also have to remember that teams have made it their focus now to key on Grayson. KU was throwing two and sometimes three guys at him to make anyone else beat them. And we almost did. But almost doesn't count.

Reactions: HuffyJB
No, shots just aren't falling right now for him. He didn't play well last night, but he's the least of my concerns.

Baller, agree as he needs to start hitting some shots. He will and this team will only improve once the bigs get back.

What Coach K said after the game rang true. Grayson needs to work harder without the ball and stop looking for contact on drives as opposed to trying to score.

I'm certain his shot will come back. He's historically too good a shooter.

I remain a big fan of his. One of my top 5 all-time Duke players (which is probably more like a top 10 when I really think about it).

Reactions: Quavarius
Fair enough, but I'd imagine there will be no threads whatsoever about the KU game then? Everything about the game should be posted in the game thread?

I'm going to start creating a post game thread. I'll make one for KU this afternoon. I actually tried to move your thread to the game thread but it ended up deleting instead. And I made the decision I made after that. My bad for not communicating that.

For a lot of guys looking good at the fact that we were missing 3 big pieces helps to not feel so bad about the loss, which is reasonable but also true.

Is there any team in college basketball that could bench 3 of their top players and not miss a beat? I think we did pretty well last night and I agree it's not excuses, it's reality.

Kansas is actually ranked 7th but thanks! I'm pretty pumped for this season! Best of luck to you guys as well!

The people that have nothing but negative things to say about Matt do not see the little things he does to contribute to a winning team. It's easy to remember a missed shot or turnover, but how about a key defensive rotation or hustle to the ball? These things may seen insignificant at first glance, but are essential to any winning team. Amile is constantly praised for these things and deservingly so, but it blows my mind that Matt is not appreciated for them as well. Matt deserves significant minutes on this team and he will get them. It's obvious that Coach K truly appreciates his game just like the rest of us should as well.

Don't agree with this at all. It's not excuses, it's just being realistic. A lot of props were given to this Kansas team for a good win and especially Mason for looking like one of the best players in the country. At the end of the day, everyone knows that this Duke team will look significantly different shortly.

I actually felt encouraged after the game. Without three of our best players and Grayson having a subpar game, we still took them to the wire. Kennard looks primed for a big year and Chase looks greatly improved. Can't wait to see how this team looks like at full strength.

I saw someone mention that Tatum was out there warming up with the team during the shoot around earlier in the day. Got me really excited, but still thrilled that hopefully it means he's not too far away from making his return.

I'll go out on a limb and say I believe Matt Jones is the biggest over-achiever on this team given physical abilities. The way he moves is almost cringe-worthy but he finds so many ways to contribute and he does many of the things that don't show up in box scores. I for one really like him as a player.

Reactions: Dukesince90
I totally agree as well. I usually get STEAMED after a loss but I couldn't bring myself to this time. I went into this game thinking we had a shot of winning but wasn't just totally expecting it. With 3 guys the caliber of the ones we have out right now, what the heck can ya do?? People at RR and THR actually seem a little annoyed that Duke took it to the wire with those guys out. Now many of them are holding onto the blind HOPE that when Bolden, Giles and Tatum get back it might actually hurt Duke because team chemistry will be affected. They are all gonna be sooooo pissed....Can't wait!

No excuses here, in fact I think the game was still very winnable w/o the 3 amigos, so to speak! K made a very good observation postgame about "we didnt share the ball well." To that point, just a personal observation- I think Luke gets a few more shots last nite and we win...

OFC

Tough game for grayson....he may have some tough going without Mt. PlumLee screening for him....he will be okay

This will be where after wins and losses we can dice things up. No point in having 16 different threads that hoer around the same topic.

It didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was when my stupid ass coworker said "What happened to Duke last night?" I just responded, "we will have something for Carolina when we play you guys." I just want to win our last game.
GTHC GTH!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT