ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs AZ

That was the dumbest last play that could’ve been drawn up. There’s NO WAY you’re making a half court pass. We should’ve taken our chances dribbling up the court, stupid

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
They need to adjust the lineup or it’ll be another early exit come March. I get it was close in score, but it really wasn’t that close - Duke has a significant weakness.

I also can’t wait for Young to graduate.

Reactions: mbdfan
Duke is not winning anything this year, too many holes. Very disappointing. No big man. Got exposed again. And this is why Duke needed to add a big. Got killed inside.

This one is not on Jon . Players have to defend and rebound .

Rebounding will be a problem for this team and small ball is not the answer for this team .

young is a backup period got to find a way to incorporate Reeves and Stewart

Reactions: jamsession2
It (flip playing the 5) absolutely is the issue. They need a big body for him to play around.
Respectfully disagree. Flip, like Laettner can play the 5. Its about what is around him.

In 1992, the starting lineup was

Bobby Hurley 6’0
Thomas Hill 6’5
Grant Hill 6’8
Antonio Lang 6’8
Christian Leattner 6’11

And before you say that was a long time ago, that lineup is plenty relevant today.

Duke needs athleticism, defense and rebounding

Young is a detriment in all those areas. Reeves? Big question mark.

Stewart is 6’9 and a far better basketball player than both Young and Reeves ever will be. He will help Flip more than they ever could along with Mitchell . Let them (Young and Reeves) sub in for flip but i dont see them being of use in the starting lineup and the majority of the minutes.

Respectfully

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
It's the second game of the year and we played a legit final four caliber team. Was a 1 point game with 4 seconds left. We are fine.

However, Ryan Young needs to see the court no more than 10 minutes and I was hoping for Proctor to come out od the gates blazing this year.

Reactions: sheyduke
Respectfully disagree. Flip, like Laettner can play the 5. Its about what is around him.

Bobby Hurley 6’0
Thomas Hill 6’5
Grant Hill 6’8
Antonio Lang 6’8
Christian Leattner 6’11

Stewart is 6’9 and a far better basketball player than both Young and Reeves ever will be. He will help Flip more than they ever could. Let them sub in for him but i dont see them being of use in the starting lineup and the majority of the minutes.

Respectfully
Flip can not play the five he is not Leattner . He can not take physicality.

Duke will have to rebound and the guards are not doing it the SECOND game of the season . Duke will need Stewart and Reeves !

Huh ? The only two holes is rebounding and Rim protection. That’s it .
Yeah and those are two huge holes. Duke got killed on the boards tonight 45-33. Do you think it will get any better? Flip is the only big that does anything and he isn’t a rim protector. He really needs to be at the 4 but Duke didn’t add a big.

Yeah two holes and both go hand in hand..
Well yall wanted small ball and this is what you get !!. No reason to recruit Reeves or Stewart if your playing three guards where the pg is 6’5” and the other two guards are 6’1” at best

Bobby Hurley 6’0
Thomas Hill 6’5
Grant Hill 6’8
Antonio Lang 6’8
Christian Leattner 6’11

And before you say that was a long time ago, that lineup is plenty relevant today.

Stewart is 6’9 and a far better basketball player than both Young and Reeves ever will be. He will help Flip more than they ever could along with Mitchell . Let them (Young and Reeves) sub in for flip but i dont see them being of use in the starting lineup and the majority of the minutes.

Respectfully
Are you really comparing Stewart and Mitchell to hill and Lang? Yikes

It's the second game of the year and we played a legit final four caliber team. Was a 1 point game with 4 seconds left. We are fine.

However, Ryan Young needs to see the court no more than 10 minutes and I was hoping for Proctor to come out od the gates blazing this year.
Arizona is not a FF team dude, let’s not get crazy….

Yeah and those are two huge holes. Duke got killed on the boards tonight. Do you think it will get any better?
Once again yall wanted small ball line ups . What did you think was going to happen ?

Bobby Hurley 6’0
Thomas Hill 6’5
Grant Hill 6’8
Antonio Lang 6’8
Christian Leattner 6’11

Respectfully
Flip is not Christian. Christian played his freshman year with Danny. Flip requires another BIG in the game to be effective.

Yall kill me ! You can’t look at the construction of the roster and prior stats and wonder how if Duke goes small they will win the rebounding ?

Reactions: jamsession2
I think Stewart ultimately starts. Early L to a good team, not too concerned yet but we def see the holes we have.. we also have too much firepower to only put up 73 points.. need some offensive boards to help with that.. I think we get it together. Last play of the game i think we should have just attempted a full court shot instead of the “pass”

This one is not on Jon . Players have to defend and rebound .

Rebounding will be a problem for this team and small ball is not the answer for this team .

young is a backup period got to find a way to incorporate Reeves and Stewart
He didn’t get a center in the transfer portal.
We’ve known the center spot was rough. And he didn’t exactly cast a wide net. He made this team and now he’s got to live with it. And sad to say nbonga is not the answer next year.

I don’t know why everyone’s blaming young so much. Had he made a couple of those shots, it could’ve been different . Proctor was absolutely awful today considering he’s supposed to be one of the best guards in the country. And Mitchell has no business chucking up dumb 3s quickly into the shot clock.

Arizona is not a FF team dude, let’s got get crazy….
Arizona is a blueprint of what other schools will use to beat Duke. They will tweak some things. The bottom line is Flip needs to play with a BIG. He needs to get strong too. They went at his chest all game.

It's only game 2. Jon and the staff needs to adjust. Young wasn't bad. He just needs to get comfortable.

Exciting game. We fell behind late and immediately responded after the timeout. This is Johnson's 5th season of CBB and it showed today.

Classic Arizona showboating after the final whistle. Somethings never change 😄

Welcome back to everyone! Great season ahead.

Reactions: pisgah101
I’m out, it’s always tough to see an L, but this one feels more challenging as Jon is appearing to play small no matter what. Dukes guards aren’t good enough to overcome a size imbalance in the paint.

On to MSU.

Well yall wanted small ball and this is what you get !!. No reason to recruit Reeves or Stewart if your playing three guards where the pg is 6’5” and the other two guards are 6’1” at best

We did? Small ball is fine if you’re running teams out the gym but we aren’t. Why you getting pissy?

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I think Stewart ultimately starts. Early L to a good team, not too concerned yet but we def see the holes we have.. we also have too much firepower to only put up 73 points.. need some offensive boards to help with that.. I think we get it together. Last play of the game i think we should have just attempted a full court shot instead of the “pass”
Stewart doesn't start yet. It will be either Young or Reeves. Let Stewart come along slowly.

He didn’t get a center in the transfer portal.
We’ve known the center spot was rough. And he didn’t exactly cast a wide net. He made this team and now he’s got to live with it. And sad to say nbonga is not the answer next year.

I don’t know why everyone’s blaming young so much. Had he made a couple of those shots, it could’ve been different . Proctor was absolutely awful today considering he’s supposed to be one of the best guards in the country. And Mitchell has no business chucking up dumb 3s quickly into the shot clock.
Omg who is coming to Duke with Flip Returning? Who ? He tried no one was interested you act like this is the NBA

Flip can not play the five he is not Leattner . He can not take physicality.

Duke will have to rebound and the guards are not doing it the SECOND game of the season . Duke will need Stewart and Reeves !
Not sure what you mean by Flip can’t take physicality. Mitchell killed us several times offensively. I think Stewart is the missing piece. I thought he played well the few minutes he got. This team will improve a lot throughout the season.

Reactions: Duke Blu
We did? Small ball is fine if you’re running teams out the gym but we aren’t. Why you getting pissy?
I’m not yall act like you didn’t see this being an issue . Rebounding was always going to be an issue with this team . I’m fine with the loss . Yall aren’t !

Once again yall wanted small ball line ups . What did you think was going to happen ?
Who wanted small ball, I said Reeves wasn’t ready to play major minutes and Duke needed to add someone. This will probably come back to bite Coach Scheyer.

Not sure what you mean by Flip can’t take physicality. Mitchell killed us several times offensively. I think Stewart is the missing piece. I thought he played well the few minutes he got. This team will improve a lot throughout the season.
Mitchell didn’t Kill Duke unless he’s jacking up three’s ! He’s coming off an ankle injury . Flips turn into the defender and not score is not offense . Dukes guards will have to rebound period !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT