ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke @ GT

Eh we had Mitchell today and lost to freaking Georgia Tech. Even without Proctor, there is no way Duke should lose to Georgia Tech. And now we may be without Proctor for a while. We miss Lively more than I thought we would. I still think we are a tournament team but we will not get a good seed barring a drastic turnaround.

I think the whole “if we had Mitchell against TN we win” argument has been proven false

Hard to know, the team only lost @
Virginia last season when they had a completely healthy team. The Blue Devils we saw after the game @ Miami-NCAA Tournament is different than the one we are watching right now. Granted we had a couple 3 point shooters and good perimeter defenders in Whitehead and Grandison as well as a rim protect and lob & catch guy in Lively. Proctor was also playing at a much higher level.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Eh we had Mitchell today and lost to freaking Georgia Tech. Even without Proctor, there is no way Duke should lose to Georgia Tech. And now we may be without Proctor for a while. We miss Lively more than I thought we would. I still think we are a tournament team but we will not get a good seed barring a drastic turnaround.
Again, not the same. There's a difference between knowing your starting PG is out and preparing for it versus watching him go down 90 seconds into the game.

Last year we put together a 10 game winning streak, won the ACC TITLE, and still got dumped on seed wise. As you indicate, the "drastic turnaround" is crucial.

OFC

I’m surprised that there’s been no word on Proctor’s injury yet, or if there was, I completely missed it. Anyone have any info?

I just heard they are expecting him out for several weeks. That’s better news than season-ending, but we’re all seen how “a few weeks” turns into “a couple of months”.

Reactions: sheyduke
Hopefully he's back for Baylor. Next two games are manageable manageable. We'll atleast one would think.

I won't even watch the Baylor game. It will be like the beach scene from Jaws.
(that said I think we give them a good game. But I don't think we win.)
Clemson looks very good early on, they are now ranked.
If we do manage to beat Baylor then there is hope for a deep run.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
I think the most shocking thing of all is Sports Illustrated still exists?? Like a magazine?
It was an online article. I still see their magazine at Barnes n Noble but I haven't read it in a while. I used to enjoy reading the Sporting News. I'm pretty old school but it is at least 5 years since I have bought a newspaper.

I don’t think it’s too early to see who will come back from this team to help the 2024 team. Need some guys who can improve the 3 pt. shooting. Someone to guard the rim. A 6-8 slasher who can actually finish.

As of right now I'd guess Proctor and Flip go pro. A very recent mock draft had Flip 12 and Proctor 15. No other guys in the first 2 rounds, although the freshman guards could move up if they break out. If Mitchell leaves I doubt he gets drafted. Would be nice to have Reeves, Stewart, Blakes, Schutt, Mitchell, Foster, Power, and McCain back, but that seems like a best case scenario.
NBA Draft net has Foster and McCain late first and early second as of last week.

Last edited:
Guys, I am behind the times. Life has gotten unexpectedly busy, and I missed the last two games completely. All I will say for now is that it's a long season, and there is plenty of time to get back on track. Right now it sure seems like we more fingers than fist (K reference) and some of our fingers are underwhelming so far. Fans are passionate, I get it, but I am going to give our young coach some time to right the ship and our freshman some time to develop. Let's go Duke!

Last edited:
Losing to Ga Tech is inexcusable and a really bad sign for the future. We do not shoot the ball well and we rebound poorly. I do not see evidence that we can correct thes deficiencies other than maybe Power (if we decide to get the ball to him). It is now December, and Jon has yet to put a smooth functioning team together. By way of example, Duke shot 41.9% against Ark. and 35.8% against Ga Tech; 3pt. 27.3% against Ark. 25% against Ga tech; and FT's 67.7% against Ark. and 60% against Ga Tech. OFC

Last edited:
Losing to Ga Tech is inexcusable and a really bad sign for the future. We do not shoot the ball well and we rebound poorly. I do not see evidence that we can correct thes deficiencies other than maybe Power (if we decide to get the ball to him). It is now December, and Jon has yet to put a smooth functioning team together. By way of example, Duke shot 41.9% against Ark. and 35.8% against Ga Tech; 3pt. 27.3% against Ark. 25% against Ga tech; and FT's 67.7% against Ark. and 60% against Ga Tech. OFC
Power ain't the answer, he's some help. You're right about the rebounding. Our guards will need to aggressively rebound in order for Duke to be successful.

Reactions: Fourteen44
The more I've thought about it, the more I am convinced (and concerned) that we do have some form of turmoil within the troops. We can talk about wishing we had a rim protector, Young playing less, Reeves, Power, Stewart playing more... it's all meaningless if the team is a little dysfunctional. Unless this is resolved, this team is in a sinking boat.

The amount of talent that was brought in to go along with what we thought was really good returning players had me skeptical in the offseason. Who plays, how much does so and so play can, and apparently are, affecting chemistry.

Coaching now in this era is tough enough, but it's made even more challenging that ours is under 40, and in his second season at Duke.

Reactions: jeffrey236
The more I've thought about it, the more I am convinced (and concerned) that we do have some form of turmoil within the troops. We can talk about wishing we had a rim protector, Young playing less, Reeves, Power, Stewart playing more... it's all meaningless if the team is a little dysfunctional. Unless this is resolved, this team is in a sinking boat.

The amount of talent that was brought in to go along with what we thought was really good returning players had me skeptical in the offseason. Who plays, how much does so and so play can, and apparently are, affecting chemistry.

Coaching now in this era is tough enough, but it's made even more challenging that ours is under 40, and in his second season at Duke.
The problems are that the 4 returnees desparately need help and this years freshmen may be overrated.OFC

Reactions: jamsession2
Winning goes a long way, everyone is happier when you’re winning. Coach Scheyer needs to figure out a way to get this ship heading in the right direction. Maybe it’s a shift in playing time for some players or different lineups that will produce. The major issue has been the lack of shooting on this team. They have to start hitting their shots. And as always you win games with defense, they need to start defending and rebounding when there are misses. There is plenty of talent on this team to win majority of these games, the coaches and players need to perform up to their talents. I just hope they figure it out quickly before the train starts rolling the wrong way. Let’s start this run this weekend against Charlotte. Should be able to win with or without Proctor. And if he can’t play it’s an opportunity to get valuable minutes for our bench players to see what they can do. LFG

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT