ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke @ GT

Back to back losses. This team make struggle all year long. Really poor execution on our last possession. Scheyer is going to start taking some heat.

It’s like I said before. We SUCK. And it’s 100% on scheyer

He’s the man who built this team, who’s basically had first pick of who comes to Duke . He’s the man who’s been in charge of team development. And he’s the one who’s in charge of the product on the floor. Disgusting. Now I know why the boozers questioned if he could really coach. This team returned way too many players to suck this bad
In my honest opinion I think last year was fools gold.

Only time will tell. However the nice guy rah rah approach works for awhile given how strivk K was.

Being disciplined is what it takes to win at high levels though. I don’t think Jon is very disciplined and the team is regressing because of it.

Guess we will see if it changes at all.

The tech reeks of an undisciplined team….and that begins with coaches.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
watching Duke over the last few years has been very frustrating....lauded recruiting classes that dont show up on the floor...the principles we used to live by eroded...defense and intensity were our calling cards, now its sub par 3 pt shooting and losing the hustle battle...the program is a shadow of what it used to be

Amazing who shows up here on game day .

It’s been visible since southern Indiana the three guard line up wasn’t going to work unless guards are hitting outside shots . Flip had I think 15 points they doubled him the entire game like Arkansas and Southern Indiana did .

With out a big next to Flip and guards hitting threes this is what this team is .

Amazing who shows up here on game day .

It’s been visible since southern Indiana the three guard line up wasn’t going to work unless guards are hitting outside shots . Flip had I think 15 points they doubled him the entire game like Arkansas and Southern Indiana did .

With out a big next to Flip and guards hitting threes this is what this team is .
Simple. Direct. Accurate.

Reactions: sheyduke
Worse, way worse. Unc will absolutely throttle this team
I said last year UNC team that didn’t make the tournament and made history as being the first preseason #1 to not make the dance. Unfortunately Duke was preseason #2 and well on its way to repeat UNC fate. Yes UNC this season is way better than Duke and it’s not even close. They are top ACC Duke is middle of the pack.

Yeah, armchair coaches love to show up in losses. They have all the answers.

We don’t have the answers to fix the team but the problems are evident.

Like really what does this team do well? We all knew we were going to have major rim protector problem this year… scheyer should’ve known since lively committed ( everyone knew it was a one year deal). It was obvious we needed help and I don’t want to hear “ well we couldn’t get anyone because flip was coming back”

If that’s true how did scheyer convince flip and lively to play together ? We convinced foster to come with guys like roach and proctor returning.

You can’t tell me the team looks better from last year. What have guys like proctor/mitchell really improved from last year? Yes I know proctor didnt play much today, but he looks the same.

The problem starts with the coaches. The start to the season has been absolutely embarrassing and totally on them.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
The team and coaches figured it out today. The loss was unfortunate but there was a turning point today in my humble opinion. I saw the game within the game. I have been as critical as anyone. But i am telling you,

Proctor (when he is better)
Roach
Power
Mitchell
Flip
———————-
Foster
McCain
Stewart
Young (in spots)

We haven’t run any lineup like that all year until late 2nd half this game and the difference was STARK. Mitchell looked aggressive in the interior, Power looked comfortable great shooter, Roach looked more comfortable with the ball more in his hands. More rebounds and tap outs.

Duke is going to win games moving forward. Those of us that have been discussing it, lets just weather the storm.

Last edited:
We don’t have the answers to fix the team but the problems are evident.

Like really what does this team do well? We all knew we were going to have major rim protector problem this year… scheyer should’ve known since lively committed ( everyone knew it was a one year deal). It was obvious we needed help and I don’t want to hear “ well we couldn’t get anyone because flip was coming back”

If that’s true how did scheyer convince flip and lively to play together ? We convinced foster to come with guys like roach and proctor returning.

You can’t tell me the team looks better from last year. What have guys like proctor/mitchell really improved from last year? Yes I know proctor didnt play much today, but he looks the same.

The problem starts with the coaches. The start to the season has been absolutely embarrassing and totally on them.
He convinced Flip and Lively to play together because Flip is more a pf then center and lively is a pure center and rim protector . They thrived off each other . That and it’s kinda hard to block out two seven footers around the basket .
Mitchell was also better on defense and rebounding because he was mainly only switch from the 1-3 spots. His game strength was and is and always will be playing around the basket . Bully ball and it’s easier to do when you’re surrounded by guards and not actual bigs .
You got Foster to come even with Roach coming back and McCain and Proctor being here because he can play on or off the ball and you sold him as roach and McCain being combo guards while him and proctor are point guards .

The Arkansas loss was at least understandable, but this one is head scratching. If we can't beat GT I'm not sure the Pitt and Syracuse games are wins. Our players might want to avoid social media this week as there be a lot of "what's wrong with Duke?" articles. Any word on the severity of Proctor's injury? Guess we will have to wait until he gets an x-ray.

Social media is a cesspool of toxic behavior. The sheer number of Twitter posts by people calling for Jon to be fired is ridiculous and one of the many things wrong with sports fandom today. Especially when 99% probably never played organized sports in their lives.

When Proctor went down, I didn't have a ton of hope. But I saw things today in the second half that impressed me. Honestly, I love Mark, but his boneheaded mistake cost us the momentum. Because it definitely swung it all back to them, and we never recovered.

Had Mark handled that better, we may have still lost the game, but I do feel like we had something positive going out there late, and it was just snuffed out by his choice to taunt; they tied it, and then Mark turned it over—just a shitty last two minutes after that.

But Power and Foster both showed me a lot. The team had moments after going down on the road by 10. We could've packed it in, and we didn't. I'm pissed about the loss, but I can't ignore those positives. Hopefully, Tyrese is okay because we can't turn it around without him.

He convinced Flip and Lively to play together because Flip is more a pf then center and lively is a pure center and rim protector . They thrived off each other . That and it’s kinda hard to block out two seven footers around the basket .
Mitchell was also better on defense and rebounding because he was mainly only switch from the 1-3 spots. His game strength was and is and always will be playing around the basket . Bully ball and it’s easier to do when you’re surrounded by guards and not actual bigs .
You got Foster to come even with Roach coming back and McCain and Proctor being here because he can play on or off the ball and you sold him as roach and McCain being combo guards while him and proctor are point guards .
cool points, but my point was that he could have convinced a center to come play with flip just like he did with lively. He just didn't.

As far as the guards there are only 2-3 spots of available playing time still. Again it just isn't a valid excuse that we couldn't get a center just because flip was coming back

Ugly from the start. Mitchell is a major liability on offense. He’s hurting us bad, as are our guards. All of this is putting too much on Flip. He’s good, but not that good.

As of today, I think only Flip would start on any top 10 team. Some of this has to fall on Jon.

Losing Proctor rocked this team early on. I put the 12-2 start more on that than preparation.

Lose is on Mitchell, so stupid. This team is so overrated and is in serious trouble
No, it’s not on Mitchell. Dumb move, but it’s not what cost us the game. What cost us is having our top 3 offensive plays start with “undersized guard dribbling into traffic and then either (a) having his shot blocked, (b) throwing up an off balance shot that hasn’t a prayer, or (c) frantically looking to throw it out so they can start the set again”. I hate to jump on Jon, but this 3 guard line-up needs to stop. We are so overmatched inside it’s not funny. Make Young a “2 minutes here, 2 minutes there” guy to rest others, get Stewart and/or Reeves some PT to stop the other teams that are driving to the rim with impunity, and if you’re going to put Power in, run a play for him for crying out loud, instead of telling him to just run from one corner to the next. Final observation: Foster looked terrified at the line, and proved it by throwing up 3 bricks, not even close misses.

Last edited:

Couldn’t agree more.

Hello all, I went to the game today @ G Tech. I am very disappointed with the team’s last two outings. They lack toughness, back down from physical play, too many guys are driving to the hole trying to force their offense and in return they are getting blocked at the rim or completely bricking their layups. The defense specifically, weak side help is very poor. The guys make a lot of unforced turnovers as well. Roach and Flip have been the only consistent Blue Devils bringing it on a nightly basis. In my opinion Roach and Flip should be the only starters right now for Duke, I hope Coach Scheyer makes the other 9 guys battle it out for the 3 other starting spots at practice. The Flip at the 5 experience is clearly not working. Please let Stewart and Reeves to stay in the game(s) for at least 5 minute stretches before pulling them. They can’t be any worst than what McCain, Young, & Mitchell are giving the Blue Devils right now.

I am not giving up on these Blue Devils, but they need to toughen up pronto. With how they are playing right now, they would not make it out of the 1st weekend of the 2024 NCAA Tournament.

I plan on making the drive to South Bend in 5 weeks to hopefully watch a much improved Blue Devils Team.

Losing Proctor rocked this team early on. I put the 12-2 start more on that than preparation.
Bleed...agreed here. Losing Proctor killed us and even though he hasn't been All American level like we all thought- he's still one of the better guards in the ACC. Huge loss.

In no way shape or form should any real Duke fan be calling for Jon's job, but he does look overwhelmed on the sidelines.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Bleed...agreed here. Losing Proctor killed us and even though he hasn't been All American level like we all thought- he's still one of the better guards in the ACC. Huge loss.

In no way shape or form should any real Duke fan be calling for Jon's job, but he does look overwhelmed on the sidelines.
Jimbo, I have to disagree on him being overwhelmed. I see a shitload of frustration, though. The pieces are there. I know that this team is better than what we have seen. I think Proctor going down today played a HUGE role in why we lost. We had our chances and didn't capitalize.

Yeah, social media right now is unbearable. I've seen more fire Jon posts or people questioning his abilities than I can count. By all means, be critical, but calling for his head is a joke.

Scheyer will be fine. Quick to jump on him after going undefeated at home in his rookie year and winning the ACC Tournament.
This. Good post. We have short memories in fandom. Things will get better. It's December. If losing now means growth and we look better come Feb/March, then I am good with it.

• Love
Reactions: bullcity gamer
Funny that some think it’s unacceptable that Jon is getting heat. He’s the young coach of Duke who is struggling mightily this year….he should be getting heat.

cool points, but my point was that he could have convinced a center to come play with flip just like he did with lively. He just didn't.

As far as the guards there are only 2-3 spots of available playing time still. Again it just isn't a valid excuse that we couldn't get a center just because flip was coming back
How many centers were actually shot blockers and rebounders who got their points off Lobs that even considered Duke ?

That’s the issue . Who ? What center that was in the transfer portal doesn’t play like Flip or attempts to?

He talked to five of them and the one that wanted Duke was said to not be able to get past admissions.

Just because it’s Duke doesn’t mean every center wants to come here .

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Jon has this year and one more to prove it.. if people don’t agree they’re wrong.

Maybe we can turn it around. But quite a few guys are going to have to get better. Is Stewart this far behind, or is Jon going with Young because he’s more comfortable with him? If he is playing him cause he likes him, then we got bigger problems. Maybe throw Reeves in the fire. I don’t know. But I do think Power is going to have to keep playing.

Mitchell and our guards are the major concern right now. He looks nothing like a highly rated kid, one that is a sophomore at that. Teams are sagging off of him, and other than the technical he got, he plays soft. He has to be better, or he needs to sit more.

GT had 19 assists. Duke had 11. And on top of that, they were 11-13 at the FT line, we were 12-20.

Reactions: dukesince91
I like Scheyer, but that tech on Mark Mitchell spoke volumes to me. That tech never happens under K. I can’t even think of a scenario where a player would think about doing something so stupid in that situation.

I really hope Scheyer has it in him to lay into his players and not just try to be their “friends”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT