ADVERTISEMENT

Note to VaBluedevil33

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkc1234

Recruit
Apr 12, 2007
You stated the in a thread titled Graysons Replacement the following about Mac McClung at Gate City, Va High School.
"I've seen him play a few times and he isn't D1 so no thanks", When I stated he had interest from Va. Tech and would end up getting D1 offers. You stated your contact at Va. Tech laughed and said Va. Tech has no interest in McClung. Please see following article.
2018 Point Guard Mac McClung Set To Visit Rutgers Basketball
The coaching staff are in the mix for an exciting prospect out of Virginia.
by Aaron Breitman@aaron_breitman Jun 1
While the Rutgers men’s basketball team is still looking to fill the one remaining scholarship for next season, the coaching staff continues to work on the all important 2018 recruiting class as well. While top choices Naz Reid and Montez Mathis are still in the mix, there is no denying that finding the point guard of the future is crucial for the 2018 class as well. Corey Evans of Rivals reported that an intriguing floor general is set to visit the program on Monday.

2018 @teamloadedaau guard Mac McClung will take an unofficial visit to Rutgers on Monday, per source@RichieSRivals

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) June 7, 2017
According to 247 Sports, 6’1” point guard Mac McClung holds 25 offers, including from Quinnipiac, Duquense, Air Force, Bucknell, and College of Charleston, among others. However, McClung is still waiting for an offer from a high major program, but that’s something that should happen sooner rather than later. Several high major programs are starting to take note of McClung. Virginia and Virginia Tech have shown interest and the latter has recruited players from his high school previously. Mac plays at Gate City high school, which is a smaller program in Southwest Virginia, but is a traditional state power. Per Matt Agnoli at 247 Sports, other high majors such as Arizone State, Utah, Gonzaga, Marquette and Cincinnati are getting involved as well.

McClung participated in the Virginia Top 80 event in 2016 and was named “Mr. Playmaker” based on his performance there. Patrick O’Brien of Phenom Reports wrote the following about McClung after the event:

“Every person at the event walked away talking about Mac McClung. Not many people knew about him coming in, so with the toughness and explosion in which he leads a team, it was not surprising that he was a big hit. McClung has a tough handle in the half court, with a quick first step getting into the lane, and toughness and explosion as he gets to the rim. He is one that is sure to really make a splash in recruiting this summer. A lot to like in his game.”

With the July live recruiting period set to begin a month from now, credit head coach Steve Pikiell and the staff for getting McClung on campus for a visit beforehand. While McClung doesn’t have any star rating at the moment, a lot of that likely has to do with him playing in a small school league. Regardless, he averaged close to 30 points as a junior last season, albeit against lesser competition. However, the fact is when McClung has been able to showcase his talent on the AAU circuit, where he plays for a very good program in Team Loaded Virginia, McClung has performed well. His recruiting profile could blow up during the July period and Rutgers is wisely getting involved before he does.

McClung’s cousin is rap star Riff Raff, who recently started touting his talent online and on social media. His sister plays women’s college soccer at Tennessee.

What stands out to me in watching McClung’s highlight tapes is his toughness and ability to draw contact when attacking the rim. He has a quick first step and looks to be an excellent passer. Despite being just 6’1”, McClung attacks the rim with ferocity and reportedly slammed home over 40 dunks during his junior season. I’ve said before that not only is an upgrade in talent needed on the Rutgers roster, but attitude is so important as well. Pikiell loves players who are gym rats that are fearless and McClung seems to fit that bill. Rutgers needs players with a chip on their shoulder and that play with a confidence and swagger on the court. Checks can be made across the board in regards to McClung in those areas.

I recommend watching the below highlight tapes of McClung, as his game is likely to get any Rutgers fan excited. While the staff have already offered 2018 point guards Jalen Carey, David Duke, and Martin Zegroski, credit their due diligence by pursuing McClung as well. It’s possible they will end up offering him on his visit and if they do, we will update this post.

UPDATE 4:15 p.m. on 6/12/17: McClung received an offer!

Received an offer from Rutgers!! pic.twitter.com/zGMvqGUwik

Is Rutgers technically a D-1 basketball offer?? I'd say that is actually up for debate.
The article also says Virginia Tech is interested. That is contrary to his comments. He said Va Tech was laughing when they heard his name.

If unc isn't recruiting him then he's not very good. I'll keep watch and see if he pops up on any guru gary - 7 or flatarheel's radar. OFC

If unc isn't recruiting him then he's not very good. I'll keep watch and see if he pops up on any guru gary - 7 or flatarheel's radar. OFC

Sky you forgot your obligatory HOF coach Roy Williams notation! I am STUNNED!! Lol,

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Well let's see if VT actually offers him or not...interested could mean possibly walk on and work for a free ride

I stand by what I was told he will not be offered by VT...if he is I will say me and my buddy were wrong...but I doubt it's happening

And the article says VT recruits his school....who have they recruited from GC????? I mean basketball...I know they had a few football players from there

sure did.you look like ur getting a little warm..u can turn the heat up my way I'm a little chilly anyway and can take it.take a T0. Go get some water..listen up everybody. Kyrie is better then lebron! Ur welcome :)

sure did.you look like ur getting a little warm..u can turn the heat up my way I'm a little chilly anyway and can take it.take a T0. Go get some water..listen up everybody. Kyrie is better then lebron! Ur welcome :)

And yet again you prove how clueless you really are...later

Well let's see if VT actually offers him or not...interested could mean possibly walk on and work for a free ride

I stand by what I was told he will not be offered by VT...if he is I will say me and my buddy were wrong...but I doubt it's happening

And the article says VT recruits his school....who have they recruited from GC????? I mean basketball...I know they had a few football players from there
You are already wrong. You said he would not get a D1 offer and Va Tech had no interest. In fact you said your source was laughing when his name was mentioned. Both statements are wrong. He already has one D1 and P5 offer and he has not played his senior year. He will get more D1 offers and it is evident that when his dad told me that Va tech was interested he was correct and your source at Va Tech was wrong. Your source is probably crying now instead of laughing.

Last edited:
You are already wrong. You said he would not get a D1 offer and Va Tech had no interest. In fact you said your source was laughing when his name was mentioned. Both statements are wrong. He already has one D1 offer and he has not played his senior year. He will get more D1 offers and it is evident that when his dad told me that Va tech was interested he was correct and your source at Va Tech was wrong. Your source is probably crying now instead of laughing.

I consider d1 just the P5 schools sorry...yes he has D1 offers but not from anyone of name yet...Rutgers? Lol ETSU lol

And I'll wait to see that VT offer before I believe there is any REAL interest

I consider d1 just the P5 schools sorry...yes he has D1 offers but not from anyone of name yet...Rutgers? Lol ETSU lol

You may be surprised. He has really improved. You originally said he was not D1 material and would not get a D1 offer. You now are stepping back and saying you meant P5 schools. Well Rutgers is in the Big Ten and that is a P5 conference. Sounds like alternative facts to me. However, I will be glad to bet you he will get additional P5 offers if not several.

Last edited:
considers D1 p5schools ahahahahah failed to specify that before huh ...guy thinks I'm cluesless! Well I'm glad he (thinks) that and not the other way around because everything that comes out of his mouth is a load of bull and usually incorrect:) admits the first step to recovery

The last time I checked the Big Ten was a P5 conference. Since Rutgers is a member of the Big Ten then McClung already has a P5 and D1 offer. So now I am sure you are going to try and change to say it must be UNC, Duke. UK or Kansas offer to be a legitimate D1 offer. The more you speak the more you dig a deeper hole. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
We shall see I guess...hope he does being local and all but I can't see a major school offering but who knows

For what it's worth, I'm still pretty tight with a lot of people in the athletics department at Tech and McClung is thought of very highly, but not necessarily in Buzz's recruiting plan. They're talking, but I'd be willing to bet two or three other guys at his position will be called upon first.

McClung is a fun player, but at 6'1 and a lack of length, it's tough to say he's going to be an effective scorer in college. And he's not a point guard. At least not a set up type of guy. In my opinion, he doesn't fit Buzz's style of play.

For what it's worth, I'm still pretty tight with a lot of people in the athletics department at Tech and McClung is thought of very highly, but not necessarily in Buzz's recruiting plan. They're talking, but I'd be willing to bet two or three other guys at his position will be called upon first.

McClung is a fun player, but at 6'1 and a lack of length, it's tough to say he's going to be an effective scorer in college. And he's not a point guard. At least not a set up type of guy. In my opinion, he doesn't fit Buzz's style of play.
He is an excellent combo guard that can play both the point and the 2 guard position.

He is an excellent combo guard that can play both the point and the 2 guard position.

Can he play PG in college? College isn't division 2 va high school

At etsu he probably could...at VT no way

And yes Rutgers is D1 congrats to him...he should take that offer...but I don't personally don't think he can play PG in big 10 either...time will tell

I agree...they say he is a great kid and good worker but they are recruiting higher ranked players at his position and more athletic also

considers D1 p5schools ahahahahah failed to specify that before huh ...guy thinks I'm cluesless! Well I'm glad he (thinks) that and not the other way around because everything that comes out of his mouth is a load of bull and usually incorrect:) admits the first step to recovery[/QUOTE

And the village idiot makes an appearance...good job clueless

I have nothing against the kid, I just don't think he's going to get recruited hard by Tech if all goes according to their plans. He could very well turn into a Makai Mason for all we know, but you need to be in the right situation to make that happen, and VT wouldn't be the place for that for him. He may be better off going to a smaller school where he can dictate the game.

I have nothing against the kid, I just don't think he's going to get recruited hard by Tech if all goes according to their plans. He could very well turn into a Makai Mason for all we know, but you need to be in the right situation to make that happen, and VT wouldn't be the place for that for him. He may be better off going to a smaller school where he can dictate the game.
I have never said Va Tech should recruit him. I was responding to VaBlueDevil33 when he said he was not good enough to get a D1 scholarship. He also said his buddy at Tech started laughing when he mentioned his name and that Tech had no interest at all in him. He is my neighbor and his dad told me that Tech did have an interest in him. That might not mean a scholarship offer but evidently they know who he is. His dad played football at Tech and when he told me Tech had an interest I believed him.

Reactions: dukehokie
Ready for the season to get here ain't nothing to really watch this time a year everybody getting all ancy short fused ..trolling .nothing to talk about ! Excited

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I have never said Va Tech should recruit him. I was responding to VaBlueDevil33 when he said he was not good enough to get a D1 scholarship. He also said his buddy at Tech started laughing when he mentioned his name and that Tech had no interest at all in him. He is my neighbor and his dad told me that Tech did have an interest in him. That might not mean a scholarship offer but evidently they know who he is. His dad played football at Tech and when he told me Tech had an interest I believed him.

Of course they know who he is he is a local kid

I stand by my buddy and let's see how much "interest" they really have in him...maybe they are talking to him out of respect for his dad who was a fball player there

I'm sure schools "talk" to players they know they won't give a full ride too especially when they are local kids

Reactions: pisgah101
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT