ADVERTISEMENT

Huh? Big 12 pursuing Duke

Neue Regel

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 13, 2003
Yes the talk is out there:

“The Big XII is reportedly after Duke as it sets its sights on further conference realignment. In an attempt to continue boosting its already booming basketball resume, the league appears to be targeting a Top 5 brand in all of college hoops.

The news comes as the ACC battles affiliates Clemson and Florida State in court with both attempting to find a way out of the league in order to chase television revenue. Could a third program potentially be on its way out?

“Well-placed sources told us that the Big XII is being aggressive with ACC basketball membership and has their eyes solely set on Duke to pair with Gonzaga,” Montemayor claimed”

What would be the benefit to Duke? We are a premier team in the ACC which has 4 teams in the S16. Is it all about the Benjamins? Is there that much more money in the Big12?

What would be the benefit to Duke? We are a premier team in the ACC which has 4 teams in the S16. Is it all about the Benjamins? Is there that much more money in the Big12?
There will be when the ACC goes belly up. If FSU and Clemson get out of the contract then others are following them out the door.

I don’t see Duke entertaining it unless others in NC make a move and the league collapses. No crime to take a call about it. Everyone is eyeing the lawsuits. Big State schools aren’t the only ones with options despite what some of their fans think.

Reactions: Devilinside
Seems odd timing for this story to hit as we are getting ready to play a Big 12 team.

Would prefer going wherever Carolina ends up but this is better then being in some weird 2nd rate conference after it all falls apart

I don’t disagree but yet I’m not 100% sure they feel the same. They’ve always thought they were God‘s gift to athletics and probably think it would hurt us much more if the league imploded. I would just offer them a strong reminder on how much they have benefited from the rivalry with Duke. They have benefited in attention, money, ratings, recruiting, merchandising, etc. etc.

And take a guy like Art Chansky. One of their long time loudmouths (He was quite a crass ass back in the 90’s on talk radio. And he is actually former editor of the Durham Morning Herald) he’s written several books about the Duke/Carolina rivalry on his own and he even co-authored one with Duke’s Johnny Moore. Chansky has absolutely milked the Duke name to help stoke his pockets.

I think the Cheaters figure we need them more than they need us and when they leave us behind, we will still grovel to play them. I am so ready to substitute Kansas for the Cheaters.

Big 12 would probably love to add an elite Hoops program as the foil for Kansas.

-Duke is the 4th winningest College Basketball program of all time.

-Duke has the 3rd most Final Four appearances of all time (17) tied with Kentucky.

- Duke is tied at 4th for the most National Championships of all time. (5) (and if UConn does go past Duke in titles, well guess what that also means that they tie the Heels in titles and have two more than Kansas! So what’s those schools excuses?)

-Duke has the 3rd most NCAA Tournament wins of all time. (122)

-Duke has played in the 3rd highest number of Final Four games in history. (30)

-Duke has the 4th highest amount of Final Four wins. (17)

Noticed the trend with those significant stats? every one you throw out Duke is in the top four. The Blue Devils have now been to the Final Four in seven consecutive decades and played for the National Championship in six consecutive decades.

Big 12 has a lot of good hoops programs, but none with that kind of prestige lifting Hoops résumé outside of Kansas. I am a middle-aged self admitted sentimentalist traditionalist. And the thought of no ACC someday feels like the worst sucker punch but the flipside I’ve learned getting older is you realize that things simply change. Things can’t last forever. People you love dearly won’t last forever just as you won’t last forever. Your job won’t last forever. Your health won’t last forever and your conference won’t last forever. Change is simply inevitable.. So we’ll see what happens regarding these lawsuits and the ACC’s future.

Last edited:
There will be when the ACC goes belly up. If FSU and Clemson get out of the contract then others are following them out the door.
I don't see that happening until the next decade. F-State & Clemson cannot & will not crack the GOR until then. But if 8 teams bolt the ACC together there will be no more GOR according to the bylaws. This has to happen before Ponies, Bears & the Tree officially join 7/1/24. But all 8 of those teams have to assure guaranteed landing places first. Agree?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT