ADVERTISEMENT

Last night

lyonhawk

All American
Sep 8, 2003
Felt like the kind of game we lose the last 3 seasons. Early January road game in the ACC. Opponent gets hot and we just melt. I was impressed with the guys ability to stay composed and pull this out after the disaster to start the second half.

Last edited:
Yes it is the kind of game that some years we lose. I have to give credit to Carey for not losing his cool, no matter how many times he was fouled and how many times James came over the back against him but it wasn't called. Carey will learn from this game and he will be better for it.

Man, I love this team!
Agree sir. It’s also like every decision K makes works. Javin was great at the end, coming in for Carey, but what about Jack? Sitting there most of the 2nd half, and he comes in and blocks a shot, and then hits a 3.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
5-0 so far in true road games, not bad!
Last years team actually won the first 7 ACC road games, then lost the final 2 (without Zion) at VT and at UNCheat.

I'll stick to my theory that it's easier for Duke on the road than in years past due to the insane rapid growth of Duke in popularity. Anyone else hear the "lets go Duke" chants through the TV???
And Cameron is not the massive home advantage we used to get either. Dang millenials on their cell phones instead of cheering and making noise!

Last years team actually won the first 7 ACC road games, then lost the final 2 (without Zion) at VT and at UNCheat.

I'll stick to my theory that it's easier for Duke on the road than in years past due to the insane rapid growth of Duke in popularity. Anyone else hear the "lets go Duke" chants through the TV???
And Cameron is not the massive home advantage we used to get either. Dang millenials on their cell phones instead of cheering and making noise!

Duke always takes over McCamish. Lots of Duke fans in the Atlanta and surrounding areas. I went in 2016 and 2018 and yes it was loud for a road game. The sound on the TV doesn’t do it any justice as Duke fans were able to dominate the crowd. Also, having some Atlanta area players on the team (AOC and J-Gold) doesn’t hurt. In 2018, it was Wendell Carter. I was sitting close to Mama Carter.

I don’t think we need to step on past teams to elevate this one and the success we are having. I think the last couple of years teams showed a lot of toughness in some very hostile road environments. Some memorable comebacks too. With that being said....

We dealt with some pretty serious adversity last night and grinded our a win. That’s the old “i didn’t have my A game today but found a way to win.” We had some tough tough calls go against us, some really untypical and dumb plays by some of our guys- some really awful FT shooting and Carey couldn’t buy a bucket for the most part (for him). We still found a way, even when they hit their first four threes of the second half and took a multiple possession lead to battle back and win. Shows a lot of character and guts.

I’ll say it. I like this team better than last year’s. Of course nothing is as exciting as Zion, never will be, but overall team, I prefer this one. Opponents don’t have a single target or two to try and shutdown and win the game, our scoring comes from everywhere and there’s no telling who THE MAN will be on any given night. I love that. PLUS, they can’t cheat off of Tre anymore, sag off of him now and he’s drilling a 3. This team is really fun.

Defense defense defense. This team understands that this has to be their identity to get where they want to be. If shots aren't falling the intensity doesn't fade on the defensive end.

Reactions: Liftee and jwill133

While I agree and I did hear the "Lets go Duke" chants, I attribute our recent road success (last year and this year) to our ability to defend. The old saying defense travels is incredibly true IMO, especially when it comes to college hoops. The same reason Virginia has had such an incredible run, their ability to defend, even in hostile environments. Teams are going to shoot much better at home, especially if their shots are open looks. We are going to sorely miss Tre Jone when he leaves.

Yep, I was there last night chanting “let’s go Duke” with my wife and about a thousand other Duke fans. I would say the crowd was close to 50% Duke fans in the non student sections but the GT fans were loud and great as well.

I’ll say it. I like this team better than last year’s. Of course nothing is as exciting as Zion, never will be, but overall team, I prefer this one. Opponents don’t have a single target or two to try and shutdown and win the game, our scoring comes from everywhere and there’s no telling who THE MAN will be on any given night. I love that. PLUS, they can’t cheat off of Tre anymore, sag off of him now and he’s drilling a 3. This team is really fun.
I said at the beginning of summer that this team has a chance to be a better overall TEAM. We don’t have as much talent as we did last year but we are a really well rounded team that is good in almost every aspect of the game. Last year defenses could just focus in on Zion and Rj because offensively they were basically our team. Now we have multiple threats to score and shooting which keeps the defense honest.

Reactions: Showenuff
Lots of little things coming together it seems. Even something as simple as Jack coming in, playing a workman like 8 mins and hitting a big three. Most of last year he missed that shot.

Felt like the kind of game we lose the last 3 seasons. Early January road game in the ACC. Opponent gets hot and we just melt. I was impressed with the guys ability to stay composed and pull this out after the disaster to start the second half.

Agree completely. I don’t know how many people I said this exact same thing to today, like almost word for word...great minds or something like that I guess

18-22 year olds are not millennials, technically. But yeah, they are still phone addicts.

Reactions: jwill133
Duke always takes over McCamish. Lots of Duke fans in the Atlanta and surrounding areas. I went in 2016 and 2018 and yes it was loud for a road game. The sound on the TV doesn’t do it any justice as Duke fans were able to dominate the crowd. Also, having some Atlanta area players on the team (AOC and J-Gold) doesn’t hurt. In 2018, it was Wendell Carter. I was sitting close to Mama Carter.
Same thing happened last night. We were loud and rowdy last night.

Reactions: Quavarius
Yep, I was there last night chanting “let’s go Duke” with my wife and about a thousand other Duke fans. I would say the crowd was close to 50% Duke fans in the non student sections but the GT fans were loud and great as well.
What section were you in? The wife and myself were in section 114 to the left of the student section and the right of Dukes bench. Our section and 100, and 115 were cutting up with the Let's Go Duke chants.

While I agree and I did hear the "Lets go Duke" chants, I attribute our recent road success (last year and this year) to our ability to defend. The old saying defense travels is incredibly true IMO, especially when it comes to college hoops. The same reason Virginia has had such an incredible run, their ability to defend, even in hostile environments. Teams are going to shoot much better at home, especially if their shots are open looks. We are going to sorely miss Tre Jone when he leaves.

This is the biggest thing. In 2017 and 2018 we couldn’t get needed stops at key moments. Last year and this year we do.

I still believe last year’s team was a whole ‘nother level of special. In fact, if they had found a way to win it all, I would have put them behind only the ‘91 and ‘92 in terms of special when you consider the media hype (beginning with Earn Everything), the top shelf talent, and the transcendence of Zion. The entire country was tuning in every single night to watch the most dazzling Duke team ever.

With that said, we couldn’t overcome our shortcomings and put everything together when we needed to like in 2010 and 2015. The team we have now is so dang refreshing to watch the way they share the ball and lock down on defense. I can certainly see why people would like this team more. I love the guys we have and I love that we have major contributors in every class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT