ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Goldwire

Unfortunately I dont see him taking the floor at any point except for marginal minutes in blow out games - Why? because there will always be a higher recruited player who gets preference every year. I do think its a great decision for the kid, a Duke education will set him up for life. If that is why he said yes then its a great decision. If his desire is to play D1 basketball..then not so much.
How do you know what we'll have on our roster in 4-5 years? I'm just sayin, any number of things could happen. Frank Mason at 5'11, was a 3 star recruit with a few offers from struggling programs, and Kansas offered very late in the game for insurance purposes. He goes on to start as a junior and senior and earns player of the year awards. It's still unlikely that Goldwire ever starts, but you never know, he has the tools.

He could be a hidden gem. He also will undoubtedly be sitting behind Duval year one and at least Tre Jones year two. He also knows this and is fine with it. You'd also assume we will continue to recruit the top PGs year in and year out, so it's not not a stretch. He could continue to develop and contribute at some level, however which would be great for us.

He's considered an hidden gem because of rankings and exposure. In these time so many of these kids are overrated. They have rankings because of the AAU club and HS.

Someone saw something and/or we desperately needed a PG. I'm excited and at this point Duval may become irrelevant.

How do you know what we'll have on our roster in 4-5 years? I'm just sayin, any number of things could happen. Frank Mason at 5'11, was a 3 star recruit with a few offers from struggling programs, and Kansas offered very late in the game for insurance purposes. He goes on to start as a junior and senior and earns player of the year awards. It's still unlikely that Goldwire ever starts, but you never know, he has the tools.

I dont know....basing my thoughts on the trend the last few years and upcoming visibility into who is being recruited. I would love for him to be a Mason or a CJ McCollum...it would be a breath of fresh air. Where in Denver are you? I'm SE....Parker

Reactions: DukeDenver
I dont know....basing my thoughts on the trend the last few years and upcoming visibility into who is being recruited. I would love for him to be a Mason or a CJ McCollum...it would be a breath of fresh air. Where in Denver are you? I'm SE....Parker
For every Mason or CJ MCCollum there are 1000 guys you never ever hear of. Hence diamond in the rough. If it happens, awesome, if it doesn't, we have a solid practice player for four years. It could be worse.

My username is actually a reference to John Denver that makes no sense. I will however be in Denver in November to speak at an Entomology Conference. I'm sure you've already got your tickets.

My username is actually a reference to John Denver that makes no sense. I will however be in Denver in November to speak at an Entomology Conference. I'm sure you've already got your tickets.

Front row....however, there are some good Whiskey bars here....keep that in mind!

He's considered an hidden gem because of rankings and exposure. In these time so many of these kids are overrated. They have rankings because of the AAU club and HS.

Someone saw something and/or we desperately needed a PG. I'm excited and at this point Duval may become irrelevant.
I agree with this right up until the end. I'm really excited about bringing on a guy who is willing to develop over the next 4-5yrs, I don't think he'll see run till at least his jr year. That still makes Duvall very important to next years team. I think we go from a top 15 team to a top 5 team with him.

Front row....however, there are some good Whiskey bars here....keep that in mind!
Funny you say that. The conference offers 5 different options for "tours" while we are there. I chose the one where we sample different Colorado beers and spirits in a "cowboy style" setting. The other options were to go look at nature or museums without the alcohol... easy choice.

Funny you say that. The conference offers 5 different options for "tours" while we are there. I chose the one where we sample different Colorado beers and spirits in a "cowboy style" setting. The other options were to go look at nature or museums without the alcohol... easy choice.
11011496-grandpa-granddaughters.jpg

I see nothing but positive having Jordan as a Blue Devil. Now I know this board if it stays it' usual course will either be blasting him or wondering why Coach K is not playing him 20 minutes. I hope we are patient with this young man and make him a real part of Duke nation. OFC

Reactions: christophero
I like his game. His is quick, tight handle and good dribbling skills. Has a variety of ways of scoring. He's going to be a good second PG who will push Duval to be better.

I don't see any reason why he couldn't be a Tyler Thornton/Dominique Hawkins/Nate Britt-type backup as a junior and senior. I don't expect him to be a rotational player the first two years, but he could prove to be very serviceable as an upperclassmen. K will only play 7-8 guys consistent minutes anyway, so it's not like we're going to take a huge hit scholarship wise.

Okay okay.... so my kids are asleep, wife is asleep and I can’t fall asleep. I remembered starting this thread when Goldwire got an offer back in 2017... and I think it’s an obvious statement but I’m glad that he decided to come to duke and play. This kid has worked his tail off to earn playing time and late last year earned it. He’s been playing great basketball for what is asked of him. He’s a glue guy on the floor and I love how pumped he gets when dunks happen and whey a great play happens... it’s rare, esp in the one and done era for these 3 star players to make a name for themselves and that’s just what Jordan has done... I know he’s been getting props lately but feel like a little more doesn’t hurt!!

Last edited:
Okay okay.... so my kids are asleep, wife is asleep and I can’t fall asleep. I remembered starting this thread when Goldwire got an offer back in 2017... and I think it’s an obvious statement but I’m glad that he decided to come to duke and play. This kid has worked his tail off to earn playing time and late last year earned it. He’s been playing great basketball for what is asked of him. He’s a glue guy on the floor and I love how pumped he gets when dunks happen and whey a great play happens... it’s rare, esp in the one and done era for these 3 star players to make a name for themselves and that’s just what Jordan has done... I know he’s been getting props lately but feel like a little more doesn’t hurt!!
He’s absolutely everything we need from a bench player. He’s a terror on defense, passes the ball well and most importantly to me, he doesn’t turn it over.

He’s s great athlete with a great attitude who is willing to play his part and not take on too much. Dockery-esque. Javin sort of fits that description too, except sometimes his hands glitch and he transforms into a bulldozer. He’s our bulldozer though and never runs out of gas.

He’s absolutely everything we need from a bench player. He’s a terror on defense, passes the ball well and most importantly to me, he doesn’t turn it over.

Duke's will to win in Blacksburg was spelled out to me in our 2nd half run in a play involving Jordan. It was under our own basket when Goldwire was fighting underneath the hoop for offensive rebound. His tenacity was sensational, as he persevered and finally got the stick back to go.

Jordan has really bulked up since his arrival in Durham. In addition to improving his game, you can tell hes been pumping the iron as well. Kudos to Jordan, and to Coach K for recruiting and developing this young man!

OFC

He’s s great athlete with a great attitude who is willing to play his part and not take on too much. Dockery-esque. Javin sort of fits that description too, except sometimes his hands glitch and he transforms into a bulldozer. He’s our bulldozer though and never runs out of gas.

Denver you nailed it with "bulldozer." Hes got that mentality, and it can be contagious to our entire team defense when hes on floor!

OFC

Just for fun I challenge all of you to go back and read this entire thread. It's interesting to go back and read the take we had on Jordan. Thanks Laettner for researching and bringing it back. OFC

Just for fun I challenge all of you to go back and read this entire thread. It's interesting to go back and read the take we had on Jordan. Thanks Laettner for researching and bringing it back. OFC

Of course sky! that’s exactly why I brought it back. Everyone thought he’d be a bench player maybe get 2-3 mins his senior year... kid played 30 mins in a conference game last night (with a full roster). Love that he’s worked so hard

Man when I first started reading this thread, I didn't realize it was from 2017 and thought everyone was super committed to their roles/the joke.

Reactions: dukehokie
Goldwire is one of my favorites because he plays at his max potential. Like Tyler Thornton & Quinn Cook did. We need multiple players like him every year to surround our star underclassmen.

Man when I first started reading this thread, I didn't realize it was from 2017 and thought everyone was super committed to their roles/the joke.

If only we had that type of organization and consistency here. It’d be brilliant hahah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT