ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Goldwire

Must be awesome getting that unexpected offer! I'm happy to have him!

Must be awesome getting that unexpected offer! I'm happy to have him!

The move just looks desperate and there several other kids out there that could fill this potential hole. Guess Goldberg is this year's version of Jack White.

I like it.. he's not going to be a star but if he stays for 4 and don't get weary he'll contribute. Looks like he has good vision already

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Welcome aboard. Never count a kid out just because someone ranks him as a 3* player. These are the types that come in and work their ass off for 2 years and the last 2 years of their career in college are more valuable than a 17 yr old OAD. The thing that makes these type of players potentially great are they will listen to everything the coaching staff teaches to them where some OADs already know more than Coach when they arrive.

The move just looks desperate and there several other kids out there that could fill this potential hole. Guess Goldberg is this year's version of Jack White.

I really don't understand this thought process. Duke is covering their bases.

So...are there more talented PGs out there...sure probably...but what happens if we sign them and Duval and Frank return? Do you think they stay with the program past one year? Do they have the type of personality to keep a good attitude on the bench? Do they even risk picking Duke at all for these reasons...knowing they will continue to get recruited over every year?

For all the recruiting success that Duke has...it has to be difficult to find 4* guys who are likely stars in high school and have a chance to actually play somewhere as freshmen or sophomores...and tell them to come to Duke and get to practice for 4 years.

Actually, Goldwire's mix tape shows some good and unselfish point guard play and alert defense. I think he shows more talent than Tyler Thornton for one ever did and if he develops physically he could be a solid contributor. Let's face it, he''l give Duke more than Obi ever did and I hate to say it, more than Harry Giles did (unfortunately). I l like the signing a lot.

I always wonder the same thing Tim. I wonder what is the mindset of this type of player coming to Duke?

Don't get me wrong, I trust K and staff, and I like to see a well rounded roster. There are plenty of examples of players who were late(r) bloomers. I trust the staff sees special potential in this young man, and as a fan I look forward to watching him develop as a player and a person in Duke blue.

Alan

Reactions: topps coach
If he has Justin Robinson's attitude, then he's worth the scholarship just for that. Robinson is always there encouraging and cheering. These are program glue guys.

With regard to his recruitment...

escalated.gif

I like it. Won't see the floor until his jr or sr year but great pick up for down the road.

The kid knows who the staff is recruiting there is no doubt in that. Where else is he gonna get the chance to improve against NBA style guards even if it is practice.

He's a good addition to the team and think I saw where him and O'Connell were AAU teammates. He's probably looking at it like this, degree from Duke, Chance to learn from the greatest, chances to improve every year against the best players in college. No better way to look at it.

The kid is active on D, has a great awareness and feel for the game, and shows an ability to do some things on offense that will probably translate better by the time he is a junior or senior which is when we'd need him most. Plus, I'm sure his was a situation where he came to Duke and told them what he'd give and give up to be there. You gotta love a kid like that. And given that the PG situation in 2019 is up in the air with Tre showing a possible ability to be OAD as well as Garland, this is a future move if we've ever seen one.

I'm guessing we get a redshirt out of him and maybe Alex (though I think as a shooter he could contribute early). Having those two in the program for 5 years could really pay dividends.

Well, I know absolutely nothing about this young man, haven't seen the first minute of tape, or read anything about him, other than in this post.
Personally, I like the fact that he is a 3*, he is a true PG, and will probably be at Duke for 4 years. I see no reason to question the logic of Coach K and staff, and something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. I think it is good that it happened sooner, and hopefully we will all be surprised in a couple of years by how much he will have improved under the watchful eye of the Duke staff.
I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will be surprised with Alex O'Connell, and if he can put a little weight on his frame, I guarantee people will be surprised with him!
Welcome to Duke Jordan, hope you take advantage of this great opportunity you have.
Go Duke!
OFC

Okay. Guess I'll be the one who will say it. WHAT THE ****? TAKING A NON-RANKED PG MAKES NO SENSE AS HE WONT SEE THE FLOOR THIS YEAR WITH DUVAL EVEN IF JACKSON LEAVES.

Regarding next year, we have Garland and Jones on lock and even if Garland is one and done, would bet that Jones stays at least 2 seasons. So there are 3 years that Goldust won't see the floor. Am I missing something?

um no? we need guys to develop. We need some veteran leadership. The only thing dumb about this was that we easily could've gotten somebody better and it was obviously a desperation grab. This kinda guy wont steer duval away but we need some depth so that we wont be like last year with no pg.

im for always having a back up pg that is a 4yr guy. guy that can come in that is an actual pg and give us quality minutes. so that the starters arent playing 35 36 37 mins a game.

This had nothing to do with Duval... I will go as far as saying this has nothing to do with Jackson. My opinion it has a lot to do with next year and the following. We possibly could lose all guards we have (Allen, Duval, Jackson (if he's back this year) and even Trent. That's 4 back court players.. and with recruiting there's no guarantees that you can replace that many. Also tre jones (if he comes) has a pretty good shot at being one and done.. even garland too, We need depth and insurance incase injuries and people leaving early happens.

Reactions: Mac9192
We get Jordan, but still have to wait on Duval and Frank? Kid may play this upcoming year

Unfortunately I dont see him taking the floor at any point except for marginal minutes in blow out games - Why? because there will always be a higher recruited player who gets preference every year. I do think its a great decision for the kid, a Duke education will set him up for life. If that is why he said yes then its a great decision. If his desire is to play D1 basketball..then not so much.

It's funny how some of you just believe this dude is destined for the bench. Once upon a time Frank Mason was a 3 star and he ended up starting three years. Then he became national player of the year. This kid got recruited for a reason. He might be that hidden gem

It's funny how some of you just believe this dude is destined for the bench. Once upon a time Frank Mason was a 3 star and he ended up starting three years. Then he became national player of the year. This kid got recruited for a reason. He might be that hidden gem
He could be a hidden gem. He also will undoubtedly be sitting behind Duval year one and at least Tre Jones year two. He also knows this and is fine with it. You'd also assume we will continue to recruit the top PGs year in and year out, so it's not not a stretch. He could continue to develop and contribute at some level, however which would be great for us.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT