ADVERTISEMENT

Gottfried

They have the money to hire a big time coach and all though it's been a while they still have 2 national championships. They have a good facility, fan support , good location , great tradition and in my opinion had the greatest college basketball player I've ever seen in David Thompson . They are founding members of the best basketball conference in the ACC. With all that why they can't hire a top of the line coach is beyond me. Who's out there now that would bring them back into a consistent top ten team and contender. Maybe a real young guy who is successful ai a lower level school. I just don't know. Got to be frustrating for Wolf Pack. OFC

They have the money to hire a big time coach and all though it's been a while they still have 2 national championships. They have a good facility, fan support , good location , great tradition and in my opinion had the greatest college basketball player I've ever seen in David Thompson . They are founding members of the best basketball conference in the ACC. With all that why they can't hire a top of the line coach is beyond me. Who's out there now that would bring them back into a consistent top ten team and contender. Maybe a real young guy who is successful ai a lower level school. I just don't know. Got to be frustrating for Wolf Pack. OFC

I hope they get a real good hire. I worry about yow since it appeared rumors last go round was Gary williams threw her under the bus to anyone who would listen

State has as good a fan base as anyone. It just seems they've accepted mediocrity at best. They need a coach that really has an identity. My younger brother is a state fan and he's numb to losing. Duke fans go nuts when we lose a game. Get someone in there who will roll up his sleeves and demand his kids fight for 40 minutes. Gottfried ain't the answer. If Bennett can win where he's at, there's no excuse why state can't

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I want them to be good too. I hope they get a good hire! I think they need to target Tubby, I've wanted him in the ACC for a long time now and he would get them competitive and make it more lucrative for a younger guy when he retires.

I truly don't understand why they're not an upper echelon program in the ACC. It isn't a priority for the university, it's the only reason I can think of.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Archie Miller, current Dayton coach and former NC State player, would be the obvious choice for a lead candidate. Would Archie leave Dayton to take over a struggling program? I think for the right amount of money he would.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I truly don't understand why they're not an upper echelon program in the ACC. It isn't a priority for the university, it's the only reason I can think of.

OFC

I think State has a problem giving their coach full control of disciplining the kids. Back in 2000 I lived off campus near NC State. We had a huge party and so did the people next door. About 3am we hear a knock at the door. The two girls who lived beside us in the town home asked if we could help get their friend in the car. In the front yard wasnthis huge man laying face down passed out drunk and it was Damon Thornton. 9 hours later he was playing basketball on TV. IMO, you have these coaches who try and do well but they don't have full support of the school. I could be wrong but it's what I see. As long as they beat Duke/UNC in basketball and Florida State in football they're happy. It seems that's the mentality of the fans as well as the staff.

That makes sense, but I thought they just gave him an extension. That's a lot of money they'll have to pay him not to coach. It's too bad they couldn't do it last season and hire Josh Pastner, now at GT. I think he could do a decent job at a school like State.

Not that Archie Miller will come, but if State fires Gottfried, he would fit not only because he played there, but his wife is from North Carolina about 2 hrs west.

I was told yesterday Yow only has 1 more year on contract. She was a terrible hire.
Pure speculation but I was told Wolfpack big donors do not want her involved and they were hoping she would be gone before new coach was hired.
Either way if line is UNC -10 or less I am betting on Tarheels tomorrow night.

I have never liked Gottfried. Saw him coach at Alabama for several years.

He's not a great coach but a very good recruiter. He can land some players that are surprising but then his teams rarely over-achieve though he had a couple of good runs for NCSU.

State is in a tough situation (so is Wake). They get squeezed for players with Duke and UNC right there. Tough to have 3 top programs in the area and Duke and UNC have outstanding traditions as two of the 5-6 best programs in NCAA history. But, NCSU is a different culture from both and I would think that they could also draw players.

The challenge with these programs like NCSU is that they might land a 5 star player here and there but that's not enough to compete with Duke/UNC. Dennis Smith may be the best freshman in the ACC but he's not going to single-handedly take down these other schools on a consistent basis. I think NCSU needs to think more like a mid-major (like a Dayton / Butler / Gonzaga / etc.). Get some quality 4 star guys in. Keep them 3+ years. So they grow, age together, and you can have a consistent 20-25 win team that will periodically make a big run.

Reactions: diehardDUKIEnKY
Archie Miller, current Dayton coach and former NC State player, would be the obvious choice for a lead candidate. Would Archie leave Dayton to take over a struggling program? I think for the right amount of money he would.
Archie has to be pissed at them right now though. Since it's been leaked to the media that he is their first choice, he is going to have to be fielding question about that until the end of the season. I'm sure he wants the focus to be on Dayton and not him and state. Another thing to consider is that the AD will be leaving soon. An AD likes to hire their own coaches, so whoever the next hire is will be on a short leash.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Archie has to be pissed at them right now though. Since it's been leaked to the media that he is their first choice, he is going to have to be fielding question about that until the end of the season. I'm sure he wants the focus to be on Dayton and not him and state. Another thing to consider is that the AD will be leaving soon. An AD likes to hire their own coaches, so whoever the next hire is will be on a short leash.

Add to that, there's a lot of speculation that Matta might be on the hot seat at Ohio St. and Miller is their first choice, too.

While I think State is an attractive job, as someone mentioned above, they also have Duke and UNC in their backyards....and I don't see State ever being able to reach that level. Ohio St. might be more attractive for Miller.

State has seemed so irrelevant for what has seemed for years, that I failed to realize when I was reading an article about this last night that until last season Gottfried had them in the NCAAT the previous four seasons. So he's had a somewhat decent run, on could say. Didn't they make the Elite Eight once as like an 8- or 9-seed?

Reactions: Dad2ze
I think sweet 16 was as far as Gott made it but I'm not positive.

Yeah, you're right. I was just remembering the year they beat Villanova (who was the #1 seed) and I thought maybe they got the next one too, but they didn't. They lost to Louisville.

Gottfried took State to the Sweet 16 his first year as well, as they upset San Diego State and Georgetown in the opening two rounds. He's always had above average talent, but his teams never fared particularly well in the regular season. State doesn't want to be viewed as a little brother anymore; they want to be equals with Duke and Carolina. Not an easy task for any coach in America.

While I think State is an attractive job
I think it is in theory, but for whatever reason they always manage to screw something up. Not just in basketball either. They suck at almost every sport they have, which is why the UNC-duke rivalry will always be the bigger overall rivalry. Both schools are almost always in the top 25 in most of their sports, so when we play it actually means something.

Its not like its IMPOSSIBLE though...It seems like a few years ago folks were saying Duke football would never be relevant again, and the Devils wouldnt be a player in the triangle. Forget about Duke-UNC, it was UNC-State.....Duke's taken 3 of the last 5 from UNC, and frankly I never thought I would see such a day again..

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
I think it would be a great time for Archie Miller to take over at State. Like I mentioned earlier, he played there and his wife grew up 2 hours from Raleigh. The bigger reason though, is the timing is perfect. How much longer will K and Ol Roy coach? Archie is 38, and can come in and not have to face K and Roy for too long. State is foolish to not pursue him, and with job he's done at Dayton, he might want to step up like his brother and see what he can do big time.

I think this is a great idea. Problem with NCSU is that they are in a 3-4 year tunnel to rebuild the program. It's one thing when you have a Roy Williams that can survive a drought, but it will be tough for any newbie to make the changes needed and get the recruits and keep alumni happy.

Hard job. Don't know how well his current gig is going, but nothing would suck more then to come home and settle in and then you're told to leave in a couple of years.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Just read where Gottfried may be fired this week if they get pounded by Holes. The source for the info said Archie would not take the job. Talk about a total mess in Raleigh!

I'm sure their will be a couple of coaches that would flirt with the chance to coach in the ACC at this point.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I'm not sold on Archie sure he wins at Dayton but is that really a barometer for the ACC?

I'm sure their will be a couple of coaches that would flirt with the chance to coach in the ACC at this point.

I'm thinking the opposite. You're just down the street from Duke and UNC who for a good while is going to clean your clock. You've got UVA and Notre Dame and FSU that aren't far behind. It would take a man of great ego and patience AND a very solid employment contract to get him to come fix and thrive at NCSU -- and that's a shame. The better NCSU is, the better the ACC is.

I think they get another mediocre guy and kick the can down the street.

Last edited:
That's one concern. Or another....does he want to be the next Sidney Lowe if it doesn't work out?
It hasn't worked yet because State hasn't brought in a good coach yet. The best they've had since Valvano was Sendek, and he was ok at best. Fan base is there, great facility, and 2 NCAA titles. A driven young coach with charisma could win there.

It hasn't worked yet because State hasn't brought in a good coach yet. The best they've had since Valvano was Sendek, and he was ok at best. Fan base is there, great facility, and 2 NCAA titles. A driven young coach with charisma could win there.

I thought herb was good. Always competitive and in the tourney and made a lot of sweet 16s. They fired him for greener grass and haven't even made it back to where he had them 10 year ago

I thought herb was good. Always competitive and in the tourney and made a lot of sweet 16s. They fired him for greener grass and haven't even made it back to where he had them 10 year ago
Herb was as dry as a popcorn fart. They need a coach with a little attitude and confidence

Herb was as dry as a popcorn fart. They need a coach with a little attitude and confidence

How about Frank Martin. He's kind of exciting. I think he would love coaching in the ACC. OFC

How about Frank Martin. He's kind of exciting. I think he would love coaching in the ACC. OFC
He definitely wouldn't be intimidated. Someone with a set on em that refuses to be a doormat to the other 2 neighboring schools.

I heard it again last night on WTVD (I think) in Durham that NC State might not wait until the end of the season. This might even be old news by now because that was 15 hours ago.

I am not trying to be a wise arse but how about the anointed one in Boston, Brad Stevens. I bet he would love a challenge. Many, many at UNC, UK and Duke always throw his name out when its discussed who their next coach should be. NC State has pretty deep pockets with mucho coin and a beautiful facility. I'm half way kidding about this but it others can wish, I guess so can NCSU.

Reactions: pisgah101
I heard it again last night on WTVD (I think) in Durham that NC State might not wait until the end of the season. This might even be old news by now because that was 15 hours ago.

I am not trying to be a wise arse but how about the anointed one in Boston, Brad Stevens. I bet he would love a challenge. Many, many at UNC, UK and Duke always throw his name out when its discussed who their next coach should be. NC State has pretty deep pockets with mucho coin and a beautiful facility. I'm half way kidding about this but it others can wish, I guess so can NCSU.

I'm not sure Stevens would want to wait that long to build a contender there. The cupboards going to be pretty bare when Smith leaves. If he does returned to college bb it will be a team that already has talent and talent on the way. unc nation seems to think he their man but it doesn't seem hof coach roy williams is anywhere near leaving and Stevens is not going to just wait around for that to happen plus why would they want to give old hubert the shaft. OFC

I've seen very few UNC fans think their next guy is going to be Stevens.

To be honest, I'd be shocked if either Duke or UNC went outside the family tree on their first hire. Just doesn't seem possible.

Also, no chance Stevens even answers the phone call from Yow.

I've seen very few UNC fans think their next guy is going to be Stevens.

To be honest, I'd be shocked if either Duke or UNC went outside the family tree on their first hire. Just doesn't seem possible.

Also, no chance Stevens even answers the phone call from Yow.

Quite a few heel fans talk about Stevens here in tar heel county North Carolina. Not a lot about davis though. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT