ADVERTISEMENT

Gottfried

I've seen very few UNC fans think their next guy is going to be Stevens.

To be honest, I'd be shocked if either Duke or UNC went outside the family tree on their first hire. Just doesn't seem possible.

Also, no chance Stevens even answers the phone call from Yow.
I agree with what you're saying about the Devils and Holes with the family thing but that doesn't mean Holes wouldn't love to have Stevens. How would any fan not want Stevens? Yow has to be on the hot seat as well so if anything he would at least be flattered by call

How would any fan not want Stevens?

I'm not saying he isn't an attractive candidate. He is....he most definitely is. I'm not sure that qualifies him as the best. And really, this isn't about who would or would not want him. It's more about reality. I'm almost certain he won't be Duke's choice when K retires, and I'd tend to lean the same way for UNC. Again....doesn't mean he's not a great candidate.

Yow has to be on the hot seat as well so if anything he would at least be flattered by call

Stevens gets a lot of backroom calls. And while, yes, he's probably somewhat flattered, don't mistake that to mean it's something he would consider.

For the time being, Stevens is very happy where he's at. That said, I've been told and it's been posted by others here, both on the premium and free sites, that the two college jobs Stevens would entertain, are those from UNC and Duke. Whether true or not, I don't know. But people who are pretty plugged in have alluded to that. And yet, still, the reports are only that he would entertain....not that he would say yes. He has a pretty damn good thing going right now in Boston.

I'm not saying he isn't an attractive candidate. He is....he most definitely is. I'm not sure that qualifies him as the best. And really, this isn't about who would or would not want him. It's more about reality. I'm almost certain he won't be Duke's choice when K retires, and I'd tend to lean the same way for UNC. Again....doesn't mean he's not a great candidate.

Stevens gets a lot of backroom calls. And while, yes, he's probably somewhat flattered, don't mistake that to mean it's something he would consider.

For the time being, Stevens is very happy where he's at. That said, I've been told and it's been posted by others here, both on the premium and free sites, that the two college jobs Stevens would entertain, are those from UNC and Duke. Whether true or not, I don't know. But people who are pretty plugged in have alluded to that. And yet, still, the reports are only that he would entertain....not that he would say yes. He has a pretty damn good thing going right now in Boston.

I buy it and it makes sense. Why would you possibly go anywhere else if you are him. 2 "programs" are really the ultimate destination and those are 8 miles apart with U.K. And KU being the next closest. I may be partial but I think Carolina and Duke are head and shoulders ahead of the other two as jobs come

I'm speaking from a fan's point, and I'm not saying he should or would come back to college. If he's happy at pro level, fine.

I buy it and it makes sense. Why would you possibly go anywhere else if you are him. 2 "programs" are really the ultimate destination and those are 8 miles apart with U.K. And KU being the next closest. I may be partial but I think Carolina and Duke are head and shoulders ahead of the other two as jobs come
You go to a school like State for that very reason, the challenge. A truly gifted guy that knows how to coach could look at it as an opportunity to bring a program from out of the coma. If you're good enough as a coach you would do that. It's not like State is a chump school either. Bow to no one

Just read he is fired but will coach the rest of the season... who does that?

Last edited:
I would think a Coach who has a chance to show he should have a head coaching gig next year.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I would think a Coach who has a chance to show he should have a head coaching gig next year.

I agree w/dbav....I'd try and make the best of a very bad situation. Who knows, they may pull an upset or two.... OFC

How awkward is it that Gottfried is going to finish out the season? I heard he asked if he could finish it out.

Anthony Grundy and Damon Thornton could be a good fit! Always need a school to "thug it up" a little bit. I say that because I've met both of these fine geniuses and can tell you they didn't get into State because of spelling or reading.

Anthony Grundy and Damon Thornton could be a good fit! Always need a school to "thug it up" a little bit. I say that because I've met both of these fine geniuses and can tell you they didn't get into State because of spelling or reading.
There has been a surprising lack of thuggery in the ACC lately. Louisville and VaTech need to pick up the slack.

Reactions: dbav and Dad2ze
Hi All,

Posted this on the main board but felt like I also wanted to post here considering this is the only board I've really followed for the past 10 years. First little background on myself. As can be seen, I rarely post but I’ve been a longtime reader. I grew up a Duke fan (my whole family went there and still have family there now) but went to NC State (where I received two degrees). I love NC State and believe from an educational standpoint we certainly are one of the best, especially in the state of North Carolina. I can argue this point but that’s not why I wanted to post. I felt compelled to post after continuing to see my school dragged through the mud in terms of what we should expect. What makes this easier to do is to provide a link to the following article, which puts into words feelings that an engineer such as myself can find difficult to do.

Why NC State fans act the way they do

The tough part for me is that I was barely alive the last time NC State had success and at that point I was a Duke fan going to games with my family. I was lucky enough to enjoy success through Duke in my childhood during arguably the best time to be a Duke fan which is a stark contrast to being a State fan. As touched on in the article, the frustrating part is the media/journalists continue to argue that we should be okay with mediocrity. That is certainly not how I live my life. I work my hardest to be the best at everything I do. I expect the school I attended to also strive to be the best in everything they do. NC State proved a long time ago that they had the ability to win at the highest level so why should they strive for mediocrity now? Why should any school aspire to be average? If any on this board hopes for their school to achieve mediocrity, I’m all ears as to how their mindset can be rationalized and coped with.

In an effort to aspire to be the best, I am hopeful we can get Archie Miller. This is only hearsay but I was told Debbie Yow did not even give Archie an interview during the last hiring process. I’m appalled to hear this – even if she had a zero intention of hiring Archie, why would you not at least give an alum an interview which could in turn help his career? Luckily she’s almost done. I would not blame him for holding a grudge against our lackluster AD but would hope he would not connect her actions to that of an entire university.

Does a good or even great coach mean instant turnaround? Absolutely not. But Archie is a NC State alum that played for the Wolfpack so who would be better suited for the position?

Apologies for the long-winded post. Feel like DSouth (think that's the guy that always writes books).

Enjoyed your post and hope you get your guy. I know personally I think the national writers and talking heads have done too much of a kneejerk reaction on this situation.They (Gary Parrish, Bilas, etc) seem to think the Pack is destined for mediocrity because their limited in their next hire.

Thats not true. There's tremendous history there, w/2 nattys, David Thompson and the legendary Valvano, etc.You also have some new facilities. Coach K wont (unfortunately for us) be around forever and as much as it pains me to say it, we could have a brief blip or so.

I think UNC will get hit by the COI w/ at least a one year ban, Roy will step down, and quite frankly you have a chance to hire one of your top choices.....JMO....

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I've given up thinking that UNC will have anything serious happen to them. If the NCAA had their wish, it would be over already with no sanctions. Luckily there are ongoing legal cases involving student athletes which may force their hand and plenty of crazy State fans set on continuing to shed light on their mess.

Personally its the trump card I will always be able to use in any argument with the plethora of UNC friends I have :).

Good to be posting though - have to admit throughout the years it has been very difficult to bite my tongue (especially with this UNC material and their fans reactions/posts to it). Luckily I usually can rely on Jarms to try his best to put them in place haha.

I have to stress how much I still love Duke and how big of a fan am (thankfully because State certainly doesn't give me much enjoyment haha). The Duke/NC State games are always my least favorite (fun fact - NC State hasn't won since beating Duke and Duke hasn't lost since losing to State). I make it to most Duke basketball games still (this years UNC game was one of my favorites honestly) and am usually the a-hole yelling at the refs :D.

Hypothetical here...like John C. said, what if State would do the miraculous and win the ACC tourney and then go to the Sweet 16 again. Can you back out and let him finish or do you fire him anyway??? Unless they're keeping it a secret, I don't see who State has on their radar that woulda wanna coach. They fired Herb and he went to ASUnand did really well. I still feel like one of the main problems is releasing total control to the coach to discipline the players as he sees fit.

I talked with a former football player that played when Chuck was coaching. His son and my son worked out at the same sports training facility. This player went on to the NFL and had an ok career. He told me that the coaches didn't have full control to do what they wanted and that the university would always say coaches were being to harsh. How do you as an AD tell your coach that a player shouldn't be punished a certain way???

I've given up thinking that UNC will have anything serious happen to them. If the NCAA had their wish, it would be over already with no sanctions. Luckily there are ongoing legal cases involving student athletes which may force their hand and plenty of crazy State fans set on continuing to shed light on their mess.

Personally its the trump card I will always be able to use in any argument with the plethora of UNC friends I have :).

Good to be posting though - have to admit throughout the years it has been very difficult to bite my tongue (especially with this UNC material and their fans reactions/posts to it). Luckily I usually can rely on Jarms to try his best to put them in place haha.

I have to stress how much I still love Duke and how big of a fan am (thankfully because State certainly doesn't give me much enjoyment haha). The Duke/NC State games are always my least favorite (fun fact - NC State hasn't won since beating Duke and Duke hasn't lost since losing to State). I make it to most Duke basketball games still (this years UNC game was one of my favorites honestly) and am usually the a-hole yelling at the refs :D.

We're sure glad you're still loyal to the TRUE BLUE!!!!!

OFC

Reactions: wcaffman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT