ADVERTISEMENT

Giles knee surgery

This kind of cleanup happens quite a bit with players in the NFL. The real concern is Giles' long-term knee health. One never knows with such situations.

But, if all goes well and there is not too much long term damage or deterioration that gives him bigger problems down the road ... then we should be in good shape. It will be a lot of extra work, but the season isn't won in November / December. Giles will have 7 weeks til just past Jan. 1 and by then he should have had enough time to work into the lineup as an effective contributor.

This is going to be a really interesting team.

I'm being optimistic, I think we see Giles on the court when ACC play starts in January. We see Giles the beast in February!

I'm being optimistic, I think we see Giles on the court when ACC play starts in January. We see Giles the beast in February!
I don't think that's optimistic. It should be disappointing if we don't see him by then. If we don't see him at full speed in January (doesn't mean 40 minutes/game) then there's a good chance he sits the year out and preps for draft.

I don't think that's optimistic. It should be disappointing if we don't see him by then. If we don't see him at full speed in January (doesn't mean 40 minutes/game) then there's a good chance he sits the year out and preps for draft.
I agree on the first part however I do not agree, at all, with the second part. Giles will be playing this year. He isn't going to sit out unless there was a major issue with either knee. That is not the case here.

We see him by December. No way he sits past that. Personally I expect him to play against Kansas. Everything in hearing is that the 6 weeks is a very conservative estimate. My one question though is why didn't they do this surgery in say July or August to give him PLENTY of time? Also as for the acl tear and how long it takes, the 2 year thing is laughable.. Heck the year one is laughable too. We had a guy at a neighboring high school tear an ACL in basketball and he was full speed by AAU ball so around 6 months.

We see him by December. No way he sits past that. Personally I expect him to play against Kansas. Everything in hearing is that the 6 weeks is a very conservative estimate. My one question though is why didn't they do this surgery in say July or August to give him PLENTY of time?
There may have been some swelling which started recently. Which is not uncommon.

Reactions: pisgah101
Yeah, I was thinking that it just may have been something that couldn't be noticed until now, but who knows.

Yeah, I was thinking that it just may have been something that couldn't be noticed until now, but who knows.
It is something just like that dbav. This is not a serious thing. Not to belittle any surgery, but as far as this one goes....

Makes sense
Pigsah- coming back at 100% doesn't happen in 6mo. Coming back in 6mo- depending on the severity of the tear and how a person heals is different in every circumstance. If you talk to pretty much anyone or do any research you'll see that most agree that they don't get back to full pre-tear explosiveness until the second season. So not laughable at all.

Pigsah- coming back at 100% doesn't happen in 6mo. Coming back in 6mo- depending on the severity of the tear and how a person heals is different in every circumstance. If you talk to pretty much anyone or do any research you'll see that most agree that they don't get back to full pre-tear explosiveness until the second season. So not laughable at all.
Had several knee surgeries while in college and to me it is much harder to overcome the mental uncertainty concerning the injury than the physical part

Pigsah- coming back at 100% doesn't happen in 6mo. Coming back in 6mo- depending on the severity of the tear and how a person heals is different in every circumstance. If you talk to pretty much anyone or do any research you'll see that most agree that they don't get back to full pre-tear explosiveness until the second season. So not laughable at all.[/QUOTE

I don't believe the "until the second season" at all

We will see soon enough. Love to have Harry at full strength but his health is the most important. Getting a little tired of some folks saying Coach K will encourage asking Giles to sit out and come back strong next year just because of Coach K's selfish reasons. It's hard for me to believe there are people who feel this way just like the one's that pulled against the USA basketball team during the Olympics. But like I say frequently they are tar heel fans, they can't help it, it's their nature. Bless their hearts. OFC

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
That's fantastic that you don't believe it. That doesn't make it any less true. The acl tear is a really common injury in sports like basketball. You can certainly return to competition in 6-9mos although it 1. Is Not suggested and 2. Doesn't mean (and as Topps alluded too) that your completely at 100%. Each injury, knee and each athlete are different. Some are more serious than others, some do not heal at the same rate, some have serious swelling during rehab and need to be reexamined. It is why it is so important to take the right steps during rehab and when you return to competition.

Whether you believe it or not is rather an inane point, many athletes that have suffered knee ligament tears will tell you that they really regain that pre tear explosiveness in the second season. A lot of it is mental, trust and continuing to build strength. Knees are extremely sore after competition after a major surgery like this. For many atheletes that never goes away.

I agree on the first part however I do not agree, at all, with the second part. Giles will be playing this year. He isn't going to sit out unless there was a major issue with either knee. That is not the case here.
I agree he's going to play, my point is if he's not playing full speed by January he probably had another set back and won't play at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT