ADVERTISEMENT

Giles knee surgery

Sounds like it was planned and needed to clean up prior knee (the first knee surgery). Sounds like it wasn't rehabbed the same as this knee surgery. From what Coach K stated, it was needed so he could be 100% for the season. It was a knee scope on his left knee, expected to be out six weeks.

Reactions: skysdad and mdowdy
Yea, the first knee didn't get the "Duke treatment " . It was just a scope so he'll be up and running pretty soon. It's a setback but a small one. I just hope it doesn't have a change of flow affect when he finally joins the team for regular games. It will be a different kind of game play bringing him in late and surely an adjustment. Good news is, we are loaded. Grayson will be great. Tatum is going to be amazing. Bolden looks huge and everyone at the practice said Franks looked amazing handling the ball and his on the ball D was epic. And then there is Amile. He's going to be Superman this year. I just really wanted Harry for Kansas but it's not how we start, it's how we finish .

Yea, the first knee didn't get the "Duke treatment " . It was just a scope so he'll be up and running pretty soon. It's a setback but a small one. I just hope it doesn't have a change of flow affect when he finally joins the team for regular games. It will be a different kind of game play bringing him in late and surely an adjustment. Good news is, we are loaded. Grayson will be great. Tatum is going to be amazing. Bolden looks huge and everyone at the practice said Franks looked amazing handling the ball and his on the ball D was epic. And then there is Amile. He's going to be Superman this year. I just really wanted Harry for Kansas but it's not how we start, it's how we finish .
Finish with a six win run and none of the rest matters all that much. Go Duke!

Reactions: dbav
I worry about little setbacks like this, probably more than I should but its because of the uncertainty, the not knowing how much of a setback it is. My greed wants to see Giles making life miserable for Roy and all of the UNC "family". Its all part of my love for Duke and personal and selfish expectations for all of my fellow Dukies. I hurt for Giles and will be so damed happy to see him showing the Duke haters just how good he is.

Reactions: hart2chesson
One of the guys I work with has a son that plays football. He tore up his knee soph year. Surgery of course but right before his jr. year he had the same thing Giles just had. Everything went ok and he had a great year and is having a an awesome senior year. OFC

sucks for him. Hope he recovers to his full potential, looks to be a special talent. Always wanted him badly at UNC.

So you think he'll miss the Kansas game?

Was this surgery planned for Giles all along or did he do something in his rehab to reinjure himself? Anyone know of any players to go through the same type of injury process?

Reactions: skysdad
Was this surgery planned for Giles all along or did he do something in his rehab to reinjure himself? Anyone know of any players to go through the same type of injury process?

That's a good question. I'll go over to thr and see what the guru says. Be right back. OFC

Reactions: nickris
That's a good question. I'll go over to thr and see what the guru says. Be right back. OFC

Ok I'm back. Nothing yet from the guru but the rest of the posters there have been very kind with the exception of one who took the opportunity to post another classic which should make it's way to the thr thread. OFC

I think he will okay by the Kansas game, however I wouldn't want to rush him in.

Agreed with this post... I think it's one of those times where he dresses but doesn't play... season is a marathon not a sprint... I'm curious to see if Javin can get on the court for some minutes in the front court rotation Jefferson/bolden and Javin/Chase

Agreed with this post... I think it's one of those times where he dresses but doesn't play... season is a marathon not a sprint... I'm curious to see if Javin can get on the court for some minutes in the front court rotation Jefferson/bolden and Javin/Chase

Even if they hold Harry out until the ACC season it's ok with me. I agree with those who feel he will be brought along slowly. His stats mean nothing to be truthful about it. His ticket has already been stamped. There are some about the boards who are comparing him to Greg Oden which is not fair to either. Oden's story is a sad one but Harry is not in his situation. This may give others on the team more minutes early in the season to show what they can do. OFC

Reactions: gottagonow
Even if they hold Harry out until the ACC season it's ok with me. I agree with those who feel he will be brought along slowly. His stats mean nothing to be truthful about it. His ticket has already been stamped. There are some about the boards who are comparing him to Greg Oden which is not fair to either. Oden's story is a sad one but Harry is not in his situation. This may give others on the team more minutes early in the season to show what they can do. OFC

I am in complete agreement with you Sky. We have the depth (sorry I know I sound like a broken record) this year. There is no reason to rush him back.

As for the Oden comparisons, I don't see that at all! Just because he had a multiple knee surgeries? This one just sounds like a clean up nothing more. Having the Duke medical staff and trainers working with him too will help

This isn't good and there is no way to deny that. I hope many of you are accurate in your assessment that this is more a "clean it up preemptively" measure. I think this all but insures he will miss the bulk of the non-conference slate. Even after that 6 week period I would think they would want to ease him in for obvious reasons.

Luckily, Duke is still in great shape. A team that consists of Grayson Allen, Jefferson, Jones, Tatum, Jackson, Kennard, Bolden, and Jeter is still probably the best team in the country. Let's hope the off-season positivity about Bolden and Jeter is true (and I think it will be).

They will not rush him back. It serves no benefit to anyone and most importantly him to rush him back. They'd never put the kid in that position.

I could put this in the THR thread but it's just as good here. No surprise that guy's like Steat are using this as an opportunity to claim he should sit out the entire year, as to not risk anything. Predictable. Think my favorite is DSouth who claims that the "dukies were all saying that Giles was 100%. And that now we dont know what we're talking about."

I have been on this board nearly every day over the off-season and i can honestly say i dont remember a single person on this board or on premium claiming that Giles was 100%. Not one.

Anyone that would claim a kid coming off an ACL tear wouldn't be 100% at this point. A lot of times it takes 2 years to get back to full strength. But hey, keep telling us what we said dude.

Get well soon, Harry. There is no doubt in my mind he will have a massive impact on our season.

It's his other knee....the knee he injured almost three years ago. All reports seem to indicate his rehab on his most recent knee injury is coming along just great.

I feel bad for the kid. This is something I just don't want to him to have to deal with over the course of his career. Unfortunately, even with the technological advances, Harry kind of has the status of knee injuries being his derailment. Again, this recent procedure seems to be minor, but his young knees have already taken a toll.

Best of luck to him as he makes his recovery.

The staff recruited Bolden hard for several reasons....one being to piss of the Kentucky fan base and to have insurance if Giles wasn't ready on Day 1. Having the luxury to allow him to get better is a great thing to have.

Never thought I would agree with this guy but:

@GottliebShow: In regards to Harry Giles. This situation is the exact reason you choose Duke. Lifetime of benefits

Lots of people freaking out over this. He'll be back in 6 weeks which brings us to November 14th. That means he has about 7 weeks after that to get back in shape and be ready to go for when conference play starts. Personally I don't care if he doesn't play a ton until late Jan early Feb. I just want the team to be at 100% in March.

Last edited:
Can someone lay out the injury history and put the recent procedure in context? It is probably out there somewhere, but someone who knows what has happened, could you spell it out for us? LIke the first injury, the one that is now being reworked, what was it? ACL? MCL? Complete or partial tears? And then the second injury to the other leg. What exactly went on there? And the most recent scope - for cartilage? bone fragments? scar tissue?

just got an update that Giles had knee surgery and is out 6 weeks... get better Harry! Glad we have depth!
Hope Harry is 100 % soon. Yet, bringing him along slowly with our depth is a good idea. Even if he can contribute later in the season do you think this might influence him to stay a second year at Duke? A second year would be really nice especially when totally healthy.

Hope Harry is 100 % soon. Yet, bringing him along slowly with our depth is a good idea. Even if he can contribute later in the season do you think this might influence him to stay a second year at Duke? A second year would be really nice especially when totally healthy.
There is a better chance of me suiting up for duke next year than harry.

Reactions: dbav
I doubt he would come back for a second season. I think even if he were to sit out this season, it would be to stay healthy and prepare for the draft. I doubt he would ever consider a second season but I could be wrong. It would be nice though!

Don't think there's any possible way he would come back for a second year and risk another injury that could cause permanent damage to his draft stock. Even with this latest injury, there's a great chance that he's still a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft.

I also think it would be unlikely he comes back, but it should be a consideration to some extent. I absolutely expect him to play this season, but, hypothetically, if he does not, he would be 2 years removed from a competitive game of basketball.

He would get drafted on healthy potential alone, but I think some might think twice. Then again, I've never had to make that decision, haha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT