ADVERTISEMENT

Former Pro Scout point of view

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
I was able to have a great conversation with a National Scout who gave me his thoughts on the 2016 Duke class. Although, my interview and write up is for another service, and not about Duke, I'll share my side conversation.

Frank Jackson
Q: How does Frank compare to the other elite guards in the class?
A: When you see Frank he's very physically developed and uses those physical attributes with that top notch athleticism and quickness to overwhelmed guards. He's so strong. His basketball skills are elite. He can score bucket to bucket with guys like Smith (NC State commit), but what Frank is very unrated about is his ability to be locked in as a defender and I think that will make him a better Pro at the end of the day.

Q: How do you see Frank fitting in at Duke?
A: He's explosive. He will fit right in next to Derryck, Luke, Matt, and Grayson. He can take on running the team or being off the ball. He will easily fit on the court with all of those guys. I think he will be able to jump right in and play. He has that type of ability. Like I said, he might earn his time initially from his ability to defend and his scorers mentality.

Q: What areas of his game will he need to improve on?
A: Point guard skills. Decision making when running the team. Getting other players involved and when to facilitate the offense verse get his own looks or points. He's showing more of an ability to do all of that recently. But I would have to say his feel for the point guard position

Jayson Tatum
Q: So much is said about him as a player, what are your thoughts?
A: A Pro from day 1. He's that good. Once he gets physically a little stronger, he's in the conversation as the #1 overall pick in the (NBA) draft. When I saw him he looked bigger, thicker. Solid 6-8 maybe 6-9 and I'd say 205-210. (Josh) Jackson and (Harry) Giles get more hype as the potential #1 pick but Tatum is right there.

Q: Same question. How do you see him fitting in at Duke?
A: Better with the ball in his hands and a better defender than (Jabari) Parker. I know that's lofty, high praise, but he's just that good. He will do it all at Duke and slide between the 3 (his NBA position) and the 4. He will definitely be loved at Duke.

Q: Areas he would need to work on?
A: He could play now at Duke or in the NBA, but I would say just him getting stronger and adding good weight.

Harry Giles
Q: Do you see the second ACL injury
Influencing his game or his draft stock?
A: No. Period. He is my pick to go number 1. Nothing the kid can't do. He could play on one leg and still be a Pro, he has that much talent.

Q: Same Duke question.
A: He's best suited to play the 4 next to another big guy who could do the banging in the paint against other centers. But in college he could see time at both the 4 and the 5. Now in the NBA he's a 4. I think Coach K will utilize him in mismatches.

Q: Areas he can work on?
A: Just rehabbing that knee and keeping both knees healthy. But as for his game, getting stronger as most players coming out of HS, but believe it or not I would say cleaner footwork in the paint. He's such a bouncy active guy (which makes him great) but I could see some travel calls early on in his career.

Javin DeLaurier
Q: Not as highly touted as the other guys but your thoughts on him?
A: I hear comparisons to former Duke guys but I don't see it. He's has more of a Brice Johnson (UNC) type game with a much better motor and better defensively coming out of HS than Brice. I like him. In fact I just talked to a coworker about him and he said that Javin has caught the eyes of people because his game has gone from dunking everything to showing good stuff in the paint. He has a pretty good face up game too. I like him.

Q: And at Duke?
A: This might be sticking my neck out a bit but I think he exceeds expectations as a Freshman and earns good minutes. He needs too because Duke looks thin in the front court. (Unless the add a player like Bolden or Fernandez). I think his career will look like (Amile) Jeffersons' but I think Javin has a higher ceiling.

Q: And to better his game?
A: I think he will continue to work on his entire game and not change how he's going about it now. He's really coming on. He's got a 7-2/7-3 wing span and has to be now a solid 6-8/6-9 and about 220. I think he could get to 225 by the time he arrives at Duke.

Jake as always, good stuff. Miss that type of info from you on the premium board. Thank you!

Denn, I would still be on the prem board but lost a big part of my income and had to make some life adjustments.

Reactions: johnl1219
I understand that Jake, and I am sorry to hear that. You were a valuable member over there. As any of us who are premium members would agree with. My email address is jdee34@rocketmail.com. Get a hold of me sometime.

Last edited:
Denniden. I sent you an email but it was rejected by my server

Thanks for posting the info. Great to hear about our guys.

Jake? From State Farm ? What are you wearing? Haha, jk, man, if you lost your home at another board we'd love to hear from you here and often. Thanks for that great report.

Reactions: pisgah101
Denn, I would still be on the prem board but lost a big part of my income and had to make some life adjustments.

Was wondering what happened to you. Glad I stopped by this board, as I don't do very often. Good stuff. Maybe Denn or myself could cut and paste it to the premium board if you don't mind?

Nice post, really enjoy reading about future Duke stars. Interesting read on Javin, better than I thought it would be, but he does have a great motor. Impressive to see him get up and down the floor for a big man, will be great in transition.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Good stuff. That Tatum/Giles combo is going to be special.

Superb stuff. Hang in there. Things have a way of turning around.

I like seeing the name Grayson when talking about who Frank will be playing with. And I like the progress that Javin is making.

Reactions: Dattier

Jake, sorry to hear that as well. I, too, have enjoyed your commentary on the prem board as well. That said, I'm sure you will fit in with this board as well.

Thanks for the great info.

Tatum/Giles will be a ridiculous combo next year. Question for you guys though: I'm sure I haven't seen as much of Tatum as you guys have. I've heard his handling and passing is excellent. Is he kind of a point forward a la Ben Simmons or more of a scorer like Jabari Parker was?

Jake I've said it before and I'll say it again, your post are always top quality on DI. Your awesome man.

Hope life starts trending upwards for ya friend.

Tatum/Giles will be a ridiculous combo next year. Question for you guys though: I'm sure I haven't seen as much of Tatum as you guys have. I've heard his handling and passing is excellent. Is he kind of a point forward a la Ben Simmons or more of a scorer like Jabari Parker was?

I'd say he's a cross. Not the scorer like Jabari or the passer of a Simmons, but he's better than efficient at both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT