ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
We all know not only how difficult today’s game will be, but really how the rest of the schedule lines up. This game really could help set the tempo for the remainder of the year.

It’s also interesting how this season, and this game in particular, has seen both teams not having point guard play in each game. If Ty Jerome can’t today, it will be a huge blow to UVA. Jerome controls the tempo offensively and is a great on-ball defender - they’re a different team without him.

All that said, it’s Virginia’s pack-line defense and three-point ability that has made them great. If we can run them off the line and defend like we did in game one, we will be good. This would be a huge signature game.

We come into tonight’s battle against Virginia at +2. I REALLY really like that line. Duke is too big, too strong and too fast in the open floor and I don’t think Virginia can contain that.

Tonight‘s game is scheduled to tip at 6pm est and will air on ESPN HD.

Duke 74

Virginia 70

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I do like how some commentators are mentioning Virginia’s horrible shooting night against us in the last game as a fluke without crediting Duke’s defense. Virginia had its worst shooting performance of the season against us and for those who are picking UVA to beat us say they won’t shoot that poorly again, without mentioning UVA hasn’t played a great defensive team like Duke all season.

Duke has played two great defensive teams (Texas Tech and Virginia) and is 2-0 against both.

Pumped for a great battle. Finally a worthy opponent. Duke 68 UVA 69. Classic ACC war. If Tre Stones wants to show out, we could take this one.

Reactions: Quavarius
And I picked against Duke in the pickem the first go around. No reason to change the mojo. I picked the Wahoos

You beat Virginia by putting pressure on their offense. We win again because I think we get good scoring from 3 guys tonight.

Duke 80
UVA 74

I’ll have to DVR the game because I won’t be home so I’m going to try to stay off DI and Facebook until after the game so that I won’t know who wins and I’ll be late updating the 20 point game tracker thread tonight since I won’t be home until well after the game is over.

And I picked against Duke in the pickem the first go around. No reason to change the mojo. I picked the Wahoos

JWill and Greenburg picked UVA last time as well. Hopefully, they do that again today!

It's going to come down to the final 2-3 possessions, like these games often do. I'll take us because I think we can get difficult baskets easier.

Been watching the Duke-UVA ESPN classic games today. Duke wins a lot of them and UVA really doesn’t have a great game in any of them. Something about playing Duke throws them off from their normal trouncing of other teams. Hope that continues.

We lose a close one tonight but win the rubber match in the ACC Title game

It seems as all the media experts are picking UVA. That's good then. Underdogs.

Duke 74
UVA 70

OFC

I just like how this group thrives on the big stage. It will come down to the final one or two possessions, and I like us in that scenario.

Duke 69
Virginia 66

I'm not convinced VA can guard Duke. They couldn't without Tre, and now that he's back, VA will see something they didn't last time on both sides of the ball. Tre will be the difference maker in this one. Jerome, if he's not at 100%, it will show with Tre harassing him full court on every possession. That back will be tested for sure.
Also, no injuries! Looks like Gonzaga's Killian Tillie is out with another injury. Stay healthy boys!

Look'a like the Duke/VA basketball game is not the only connected news. I didn't want to link the USA Today article, but looks like the Lt. Gov of VA sexual assault accuser is saying she was raped by a Duke basketball player in 1999 while a sophomore at the University. This will hit the headlines for sure.

Duke UVA has become the Duke Maryland of the early 2000's...notice I didn't say "rivalry"

Lol Mike Brey on playing both VA and Duke. He said two totally different styles of 2 great 1 seed teams. Brey said " the grinding and slower pace of Va and then the come-at-your-throat stuff of Duke." That was funny. Said with Duke, he has not seen a collection of bodies come thru his building like that ever before.

It's going to be tough to win this one, but we can. On the road, more negative stuff can happen...especially foul trouble. I'm sure Bennett is going to tweak that pack line defense to crowd the middle even more to stop Zion & RJ. I expect they'll be willing to 'give' the 3 to Duke, and hope to bait us into chucking up a bunch of them. And on offense they'll try to move the ball around a little quicker to set up their 3 point shots.

Duke needs to be patient on offense, and make sure Zion touches the ball...a lot. Can't just pass the ball around on the perimeter and take a 3 deep into the shot clock.

Duke 68
Virginia 64

OFC

Reactions: jcdevilfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT