ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Where have you been, the offense does run throw them...Grayson was barely involed in the offense today.. Duval,doesn't try to get the ball to him and there have been quite a few games where Grayson has been open and din got the ball or should have been given the ball to make something happen and he hasn't...he can't get in rhythm... Duval made freshman mistakes today and we can't shoot free throws...
He really did ..kinda has all year ... surprising for the 5 star hype and number 1 pg... some great drives along the span but a lot of bad decisions

It’s not a bad thing that we lost but it is highly disappointing that we pissed the game away. I’m pissed that Allen took that 3 at the end. He’s a senior and should know what the right play was. We’re missing senior leadership and he doesn’t bring that to the table like he should. Oh well this isn’t a bad loss. It hurts our chance at a number one seed and possibly kills our chance at an acc crowd but there’s a lot of good that came out of this game and I feel good going forward.

Tough game and we lost to a close one to a really good team. It happens, go duke!

The same things that have hurt us all year costed us a game today. We don’t box out on the defensive glass, we shoot free throws poorly and we are careless with the ball.

UVA was ready to play from the tip, we showed up in the second half.

Against a lot of teams we can continue to make these mistakes and still win. But not against a Virginia. I thought we had cleaned some of this stuff up and I thought Virginia was over rated. I was double wrong today.

If you haven’t figured out the one guy on here is a troll yet idk what to tell you.
Defensive rebounds cost us squat lol..they got a few lucky bounces ...

We played very poorly the first half...very poorly...

Our defense is a sive...Bagley is a large part of that problem...he lost his guy in Man, he is screened easily in the zone for open corner threes, and he’s very late on help D or not at all...the rebounds he was beat for in the end of the game really hurt us too...he should of had a lot of those....and was beaten by much smaller UVA players for them....

Duvall needs to protect the ball....we had a chance and again he makes a careless play with the ball and that was the game...the three followed...

Allen needs to shoot...he has become beyond passive looking to score...he defers way to much to the bigs now...he really doesn’t even look to shoot...past several games he’s had a lot of good shots and he continually defers...that’s a huge problem...

We need Allen to play better and take control of this team....he needs to become much more aggressive for this team to reach its potential....

Here’s what I don’t flipping understand, how does the number 4 team in country playing AT HOME against the number 2 team in the country (who is a conference rival) show such little emotion throughout the game. Especially the first half and especially Grayson. I just don’t get it, I watched every minute of the game and kept waiting to see some consistent fire from our guys, but no dice. Drives me batshit crazy.

easy to fix TO/FT issue...for me the bigger one is the bench minutes. Total of maybe 2 mins today? The end of the year comes fast and thick with games...ACCT, NCAAT....you cannot play 5 and get through that stretch..2015 was an anomaly...its just frustrating to see that no bench development has taken place...again. Next year does not bode well either since the class is full of the best yet again who will play all the mins. This is where i despise what the one and done has made CBB. Congrats to UVA. Next game...

UVA dominated the first half.
The guards struggled.
We looked lost and flustered.
We looked tired.
We were down by 12.

All of that and we lost by 2.

Give me UVA on a neutral court, mix in zone, and Duke wins by 5-7.

On to the next one. I feel bad for ND, it may be ugly for them.

Team will be just fine. I don’t get too high or too low during January. Duke is known to lose some games in January. As long as we continue to get better and hit our peak mid-February I’m good. Grayson will be better, hopefully. If he can give us about a consistent 12 points a game then we’re good. Tre tried to make the flash play at the end. I’m not really surprised he did that. He likes to take those chances. Just have to live with it. BAGLEY AND CARTER are some beasts. Those dudes are ridiculous down low. It’s amazing to watch. We pretty much got what we wanted in the paint. Perimeter guys didn’t put the ball in the hole today. Oh well. All I know is we will SWEEP those bums from Chapel Hill.

Reactions: RanDEVILman
Last thing I’m say today is the press is frustrating knowing uva is gonna milk the clock regardless and is extremely difficult having no bench!! And wearing guys down...unless we go zone .....unlike the first half?!!! Imo adjusting is weak....Ughhh gonna be miserable week...

We played very poorly the first half...very poorly...

Our defense is a sive...Bagley is a large part of that problem...he lost his guy in Man, he is screened easily in the zone for open corner threes, and he’s very late on help D or not at all...the rebounds he was beat for in the end of the game really hurt us too...he should of had a lot of those....and was beaten by much smaller UVA players for them....

Duvall needs to protect the ball....we had a chance and again he makes a careless play with the ball and that was the game...the three followed...

Allen needs to shoot...he has become beyond passive looking to score...he defers way to much to the bigs now...he really doesn’t even look to shoot...past several games he’s had a lot of good shots and he continually defers...that’s a huge problem...

We need Allen to play better and take control of this team....he needs to become much more aggressive for this team to reach its potential....
. ^ This is 100% accurate, Allen needs to return to the Allen we saw against Wisconsin in 2015 and the Allen we saw against Michigan State in November for Duke to reach its ceiling. Wish O’Connell would have gotten more minutes and Coach would have played Goldwire 5-10 minutes.

Carter has to stay
Here’s what I don’t flipping understand, how does the number 4 team in country playing AT HOME against the number 2 team in the country (who is a conference rival) show such little emotion throughout the game. Especially the first half and especially Grayson. I just don’t get it, I watched every minute of the game and kept waiting to see some consistent fire from our guys, but no dice. Drives me batshit crazy.
Looked like Grayson's mind was somewhere else in large parts of the game.

43 -6....bench minutes UVA-Duke.....14-0 in pt production - dont care how much zone you play that isnt a recipe for long term success
Coach showed his hand in this game. From here on out if no one in the starting lineup is in foul trouble there will little to no subs from here on out this year. He will ride those five till the tread wears off. But that’s how Coach rolls.

Last thing I’m say today is the press is frustrating knowing uva is gonna milk the clock regardless and is extremely difficult having no bench!! And wearing guys down...unless we go zone .....unlike the first half?!!! Imo adjusting is weak....Ughhh gonna be miserable week...

The press was actually very successful in speeding up UVA's play in the second half. I regret not doing that, earlier! Though, our guys either need to be in elite shape or we have to sub more to run it all game.

That’s the second game this season that Duval tried to do a little too much in a late game situation where we probably should have won (Foul at the end of VT game). Can’t fault him on the effort or wanting to be the hero and i wouldn’t be surprised if as the season goes on he will be.

We pretty much did everything we said we couldn’t do before the game- bad FT shooting, nothing from Grayson and Trent, scoring below 70 and yet we still lose by 2 to the #2 team in the country. I would bet on Duke all day if we play them again in the ACCT and on every game for the rest of the season going forward.

Also, does anyone think that K has been saving the zone D for later game situations where the opponents have less time to adjust to it? I almost feel like he doesn’t want to give away all of our tricks too early when typically once we have he lead back late we have been able to finish.

Where have you been, the offense does run throw them...Grayson was barely involed in the offense today.. Duval,doesn't try to get the ball to him and there have been quite a few games where Grayson has been open and din got the ball or should have been given the ball to make something happen and he hasn't...he can't get in rhythm... Duval made freshman mistakes today and we can't shoot free throws...
Guess y'all can't se my original post. I do agree with you.

The world did not end, did it?
Coach showed his hand in this game. From here on out if no one in the starting lineup is in foul trouble there will little to no subs from here on out this year. He will ride those five till the tread wears off. But that’s how Coach rolls.

The bench has played some pretty consistent minutes the last three weeks. I would have liked to see more of them today, but I also understand they’re not going to play as much today as they do against a Wake or Pitt.

Reactions: dbav and sheyduke
The turnovers are frustrating, but we were playing an elite defense. Doesn’t mean the careless one’s don’t bother me, though. The defense is improving. It’s never going to be great, but I thought we got enough out of it today to win.

But, free throws. They’re maddening. It’s something I think most of us have taken for granted over the years because we’ve always been so good in that aspect of the game. Today we missed four out of five front-end one-and-one’s. That’s embarrassingly bad. It’s really, really hard to win six straight games in March and April when you’re not a decent FT shooting team. Games will come down to those, unfortunately.

Does anyone know how many “Blown Assists” unc had today? Could someone ask Guru Gary or his friends at Rupp Rafters?

The experience of UVA beat us as well as poor free throw shooting and stupid turnovers. They came into our house and imposed their will on us and the inexperienced team that we have bit the bait. I was hoping the youngsters would impose their will and push the pace and get UVA out of their game in our house but experience prevailed today. Might be a different outcome next time around. Only time will tell. We did have our chances to win today.

Tired legs! K has to give the starters some rest. Play Javin and Alex more than a minute each.
Year in and year out guys ride the pine in blowouts and then K has no confidence to use them when they could support their team with just a couple of solid minutes. Maybe being tired affects the free throw shooting, too.

Bagley is so amazing on offense. At one point I thought he was having an off day...would’ve guess 11-12 points...He had 23 at the time.

Defense is another story. I think we will become serviceable over time but the lvl of effort isn’t the same. One thing that has amazed me all year is how well guards shoot over his close outs. He should alter shots but he’s so late in the air...odd for someone with such a great second jump on rebounds.

Reactions: dbav
I only saw the second half, but from those 20 minutes I thought Duke was clearly better. But if they can’t make FTs, turn it over carelessly and give up easy put backs due to no box out then they’ll drop some games.

I HATE the freshman mistake excuse....they are AAU elite players, 20 games into a season - so they've played untold amounts of basketball....there are no excuses for poor entry passes, poor decisions like Duvals...missing FT's is not a FR mistake its lack of application or concentration. 3 front ends of 1 and 1's were missed...in a game of these margins that is crucial and does not come from being a freshman.
Well our freshmen got their lofty rankings because of one-on-one play, not playing team ball or having great anticipation. In one on one situations, we outplayed them. In all other phases of the game, they played pretty average. It’s the coaches’ job to get more out of them on defense. We’ve got about 10-12 more games to get better. We have some guys on the bench with better awareness than the starters, but they are inferior in other ways. I think our ceiling is being 50/50 to beat the top 10 teams in the country. That isn’t likely to win us a title, but gives us a fighting chance if multiple guys get hot.

I hate a loss, but this one doesn't bother me. UVA is legit this year. Probably better than the last two years. The young guys will learn and Grayson will get back on track...I hope. Now on to the next.

The turnovers are frustrating, but we were playing an elite defense. Doesn’t mean the careless one’s don’t bother me, though. The defense is improving. It’s never going to be great, but I thought we got enough out of it today to win.

But, free throws. They’re maddening. It’s something I think most of us have taken for granted over the years because we’ve always been so good in that aspect of the game. Today we missed four out of five front-end one-and-one’s. That’s embarrassingly bad. It’s really, really hard to win six straight games in March and April when you’re not a decent FT shooting team. Games will come down to those, unfortunately.
Yep the free throws. And Allen and Trent are the only ones we can count on hitting FT’s on the entire roster. I’m hoping Bagley and Carter can be those guys that can hit free throws when it really counts. Carter was unable to do that today

Yep the free throws. And Allen and Trent are the only ones we can count on hitting FT’s on the entire roster. I’m hoping Bagley and Carter can be those guys that can hit free throws when it really counts. Carter was unable to do that today
I agree the free throws are a concern. To me though, Allen's passive play is more disturbing. He plays better, the free throws aren't near the concern. But when all you do is go to your post guys, who are really good, it's a problem when they are almost as bad ft shooters as good from the floor.

Allen needs to show some leadership by scoring more. 5 points from a guy that was an all American his sophomore season isn't gonna cut it.

Reactions: GillJET
Had to work today and saw the game. Also watched the unc game and that really helps the hurt. I've read over most of the post and agree with them as a whole. It is what it is. UVA made us play their game the 1st half for sure. Our guys just couldn't figure it out. In the second half as we all saw we got it going and playing the Duke way. We went to that zone with pressure about half court and eventually took the lead. Then UVA figured it out. We went back to man to man and lost the lead. Missed out on some opportunities and UVA hit that big uncontested three. Missing free throws didn't help at all. Taking nothing away from UVA. They have a great coach and are very disciplined. Hope our guys learned something today. Next game OFC

Bad D and FT shooting...This team has all the makes of an early exit

My question is...everyone keeps saying "Grayson will get it together" over and over and over........WHEN? I'm sorry but I think he needs to sit a little, it maybe not start the next game or something...because what I see is a guy that really doesn't look that interested....maybe I am wrong...but just my opinion

And also...and this is just my opinion also....I don't really see what Javin brings to the table....other than an athlete that runs up and down the floor and brings little to no offense and below average defense

I agree the free throws are a concern. To me though, Allen's passive play is more disturbing. He plays better, the free throws aren't near the concern. But when all you do is go to your post guys, who are really good, it's a problem when they are almost as bad ft shooters as good from the floor.

Allen needs to show some leadership by scoring more. 5 points from a guy that was an all American his sophomore season isn't gonna cut it.
I’m with you about Allen. We need his 3-ball and his playmaking. He wasn’t good today. He really pissed me off fouling Guy on that 3 to give UVA their first points of the game. I guess his recent shooting slump has him being more passive. Idk, but I got faith in our Senior and I’m just glad we get the quick turnaround on Monday and can hopefully move on from this hurtful L

My question is...everyone keeps saying "Grayson will get it together" over and over and over........WHEN? I'm sorry but I think he needs to sit a little, it maybe not start the next game or something...because what I see is a guy that really doesn't look that interested....maybe I am wrong...but just my opinion

And also...and this is just my opinion also....I don't really see what Javin brings to the table....other than an athlete that runs up and down the floor and brings little to no offense and below average defense
There’s not a Frank Jackson on the bench to replace Grayson, so I don’t think we can bench him. Plus this is his Senior year, I think we are gonna be able to count on him.
Javin is kind of a mess lately especially with all that fouling. I hope Bolden can give us some good minutes soon

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT