ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS. UNC POST-GAME THREAD***

dukehokie

Jun 27, 2005
So there it is. The regular season is over. Duke played through a lot of adversity, didn't live up to gaudy expectations, but rebounded to finish actually very well considering. It's now nothing but win or go home.

This team has weaknesses: inability to get stops, rebounding, stretches of stagnant ball movement. It also has some serious strengths: ability to play almost any style, most talent 1-7, Coach K.

This is not about "how far do you think Duke can go". Save that for your brackets. What will it take for Duke to advance to championship round basketball in both of these tournaments, knowing the weaknesses we have and assuming something doesn't miraculously change?

Our guys played hard. Great game to watch.
Carolina went on their run with Frank sitting with about 5 minutes left in 2nd half, he finally came back in with 2 minutes to go.
On to Wednesday. I assume we play at 2pm eastern time. Is that correct? Sorry I live in Illinois so on central time.

UNC earned it, big time game both ways. I'm really disappointed right now.

So there it is. The regular season is over. Duke played through a lot of adversity, didn't live up to gaudy expectations, but rebounded to finish actually very well considering. It's now nothing but win or go home.

This team has weaknesses: inability to get stops, rebounding, stretches of stagnant ball movement. It also has some serious strengths: ability to play almost any style, most talent 1-7, Coach K.

This is not about "how far do you think Duke can go". Save that for your brackets. What will it take for Duke to advance to championship round basketball in both of these tournaments, knowing the weaknesses we have and assuming something doesn't miraculously change?
This team looked good tonight in my opinion. If Grayson was healthy then no question we win by 10. Played good defensively. Shot the ball well. Great ball movement. Missed some shots down the stretch. They struggled at times to guard down low and didn't push the ball that much with Tatum/Amile driving to the basket. (Tatum had a chance off a offensive rebound to drive back to the basket but he kicks it out and we miss the shot.) Luke played another amazing game. We should be fine. We need to focus on improving defense down low to carry us far. Nothing we can do on the perimeter that we aren't doing. Berry shot 3 shots with a hand in his face/being contested and made them.

Thought Duke played real well. Amile looks like his old self which is big. Frank makes them different and much more dynamic offensively. I didn't understand why K took him out with 5 minutes left . Allen is still hobbled. I don't care about the Acc tourney just want Duke to keep a 4 seed and get ready for big dance.

Great college BB game. So proud of this rivalry as it cannot be matched at any level by any sport. The win today means so much more because it is this great rivalry and the respect, just as the loss for us in Durham meant that much more. Tatum and Kennard are IMO both top 10 players in the nation. Let's hope for a rematch in the ACC tournament. That would be great for all. Duke showed a great deal of spirit and fight in an away game. I would not want to meet up with you in March Madness. Hey, could we both play in the final four. It would be awesome.

Amile looked better so I think he's getting healthier. Grayson looked better too, even though he looked really tired at the end...probably hasn't been practicing much either. Both of those getting back closer to 100%, plus Frank's emergence bodes well for Duke. And I think we played pretty well tonight also. No one will want to play us in the NCAA's.

OFC

We played very very well, but we lost a game we shouldn't lose. Berry was the difference. CANNOT let him get going. No excuses to be Made. Our freebies down the road we're big. Allen cost us late, but I'll go to bed feeling for him rather bash him. What a TOUGH season.

Hard to seen tonight, but tonight will be forgotten quick. Much ahead!!!!!!

Great effort by our boys! Played hard all game. I believe we ran out of gas in the last 3 minutes. Now let's rest up for State or Clemson.

OFC

I have zero problem with loss tonight. Played well against yet another ranked opponent.

At this point it's "dance with who you brung"

Great college BB game. So proud of this rivalry as it cannot be matched at any level by any sport. The win today means so much more because it is this great rivalry and the respect, just as the loss for us in Durham meant that much more. Tatum and Kennard are IMO both top 10 players in the nation. Let's hope for a rematch in the ACC tournament. That would be great for all. Duke showed a great deal of spirit and fight in an away game. I would not want to meet up with you in March Madness. Hey, could we both play in the final four. It would be awesome.

Yep. Great game and two really good teams. Not sure either are great right now....but both have the potential to be a month from now. As for playing in the Final Four....I want no part of that scenario.

Our guys played hard. Great game to watch.
Carolina went on their run with Frank sitting with about 5 minutes left in 2nd half, he finally came back in with 2 minutes to go.
On to Wednesday. I assume we play at 2pm eastern time. Is that correct? Sorry I live in Illinois so on central time.

More like 2:30 with the first game scheduled for noon tip.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Yep. Great game and two really good teams. Not sure either are great right now....but both have the potential to be a month from now. As for playing in the Final Four....I want no part of that scenario.

More like 2:30 with the first game scheduled for noon tip.
Thanks Dukej, need to get a sub for my classes on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon. Haha

Reactions: pisgah101
Great game! We played very good the past two games. We play like this and we will play Carolina Friday(and win IMO) and then roll to an elite eight. I'm happy with how we are playing

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Duke played 36 minutes of great basketball. They weren't the best team on the court tonight though. They could have won this game had a few things gone differently, but they also could have been blown out had a few things gone differently for unc. I am just ready to see how the tournament plays out.

It doesn't matter if we hit 20 free throws in a row you have to make those crunch time ones. Now on to the ACC tourney. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Matt Jones 0 points and 0 rebounds. He should be coming off the bench and Allen should be starting.

Matt is going to play. He wasn't good tonight in many areas but he also played pretty good defense on Jackson. Besides, it's not who starts. The emergence of Frank and now Grayson getting healthier will cut into Matt's minutes. Right now, we have five good offensive weapons....Matt and Harry will be counted on for their roles.

Duke played 36 minutes of great basketball. They weren't the best team on the court tonight though. They could have won this game had a few things gone differently, but they also could have been blown out had a few things gone differently for unc. I am just ready to see how the tournament plays out.
I never once felt they were going to be blown out.

I'm not looking forward to the ACCT given our seeding and our rotation. If we can somehow get by UL we will be exhausted playing UNC again. Not a scenario I am looking forward to. I do think we can make some noise in the Big Dance tho

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I wish we didn't get away from feeding Amile and hit some needed shots the last few minutes, but like others have said, we didn't play bad. Everyone is saying UNC is the best team in the country and we just played them at home and made it dang competitive.

I wish we didn't get away from feeding Amile and hit some needed shots the last few minutes, but like others have said, we didn't play bad. Everyone is saying UNC is the best team in the country and we just played them at home and made it dang competitive.
They aren't though. Still Playing them at home isn't easy.

Overall I thought we played a good game and well enough to win except for a few plays down the stretch. Hate to lose to anyone, especially to UNC but tough to be mad after that one. Not for sure what to expect in the ACCT though.

I've been saying it and tonight is proof: for this team to go anywhere, Grayson Allen has to shoot more. Hope he's healthy but 2-4 with 14 points ain't gonna cut it. Kennard has been really good, but Allen needs to look for his shot more. Tatum is not gonna be 4-13 much but if he is, Allen can't compliment that with only 4 shots. We don't play but 6-7 guys, and take into consideration that Matt won't give much offensively, where does that leave Duke? Between Kennard, Allen and Tatum, 40 shots need to be taken. Jackson will be solid but can't count on 20 from him. Amile is solid, Giles has to give good minutes from bench. Our big 3 to make a run Have to be Kennard, Allen and Tatum.

I've been saying it and tonight is proof: for this team to go anywhere, Grayson Allen has to shoot more. Hope he's healthy but 2-4 with 14 points ain't gonna cut it. Kennard has been really good, but Allen needs to look for his shot more. Tatum is not gonna be 4-13 much but if he is, Allen can't compliment that with only 4 shots. We don't play but 6-7 guys, and take into consideration that Matt won't give much offensively, where does that leave Duke? Between Kennard, Allen and Tatum, 40 shots need to be taken. Jackson will be solid but can't count on 20 from him. Amile is solid, Giles has to give good minutes from bench. Our big 3 to make a run Have to be Kennard, Allen and Tatum.
Why can't you count on Jackson ? He gets to the rim at will. I am a lot more confident is him than Allen.

I'm not looking forward to the ACCT given our seeding and our rotation. If we can somehow get by UL we will be exhausted playing UNC again. Not a scenario I am looking forward to. I do think we can make some noise in the Big Dance tho

Yeah, I want to win all games, but I'm not sure it does this team a lot of good to play 4 games or so (if we win, in such a short time) with our injury problems. I know it helps our seeding, but....

OFC

We must get a lil better on defense. I've given up a lot but a lil can happen.

Jayson also HAS to fight for rebounds, so for the stops we DO get we can make them count. Amile must get better at it too.

Finally Harry must get a lil better. Again not asking a lot. Just a lil will do good for us.

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT