ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NOTRE DAME OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

truly hoping so, as that makes the most sense to me.....i just cant phathom "this program isnt use to developing talent".....to me that means no coaching and work is being done...imo and we know thats not the case....and right before he said that, he emphasized youth
He may not have meant that they don’t develop our talent, but, this season has exposed it. Easy to overlook our bench when the product on the floor is productive, but when they aren’t? and you look down the bench and see what’s there? That should open a lot of eyes. That’s been a knock on K during his career, he’s now somewhat admitting it.

If Brad Stevens or Jay Wright we would have 2 more championships, Zion team and probably Tatum team would have won it. Now I love coach k , but games has pass him.

truly hoping so, as that makes the most sense to me.....i just cant phathom "this program isnt use to developing talent".....to me that means no coaching and work is being done...imo and we know thats not the case....and right before he said that, he emphasized youth
This. People are taking K out of context to sell their narratives.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
If Brad Stevens or Jay Wright we would have 2 more championships, Zion team and probably Tatum team would have won it. Now I love coach k , but games has pass him.
Ok mcdud

We have become, for better or worse, a reloading program. And we're reloading with multi year guys this year. And as I've said before that only works if guys stick around to develop. Right now Moore and Steward are the two guys we really need back. Moore may be playing himself into a second round pick. He's really come on the last 3 games despite our losses. Johnson is a mystery to me.

Reactions: jeffrey236
We have become, for better or worse, a reloading program. And we're reloading with multi year guys this year. And as I've said before that only works if guys stick around to develop. Right now Moore and Steward are the two guys we really need back. Moore may be playing himself into a second round pick. He's really come on the last 3 games despite our losses. Johnson is a mystery to me.

I'm afraid you may be right on Moore. I hope he returns though. Jalen is not a first round prospect in my opinion. I know it's based on his potential, just don't see it personally. Nothing against the kid. But I just don't see it right now.

Reactions: christophero
I don't like to badmouth our guys but there are clear issues with Johnson. They may just be on the court issues who knows. He has been sitting at the end of games recently, and did not start the last game. Perhaps the coaches are trying to light a fire. Still time to correct them but we are running out of time.

this has to be a Kentucky fan, because he’s writing incoherent sentences. Stick with the “Rupp’s idiots” message board.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Part of our problem is that K is right when he said we don't develop talent. We reload with OAD's and those that weren't good enough to go pro get pushed onto the end of the bench or transfer out. We've had many kids the last several years that should be better and more developed than they were year to year but weren't simply because they hardly ever played and only served as giving a breather to a OAD.

And on one hand, I get it. You're going to play the best guys the most. On the other, when you reload and they're not as good as what you're used to getting and the rest of the team are those guys that hardly ever got playing time years prior then.. well, you may find yourself at 7-8 early Feb.

My frustration with the whole thing is that I just don't like Duke basketball right now. It's nothing personal, it's not built around animosity towards individual people or players in the program. But this is entertainment for me and right now I just don't enjoy the product. Sure, it's emphasized by our losing but our losing isn't the sole reason. I don't like us having embraced OAD philosophy - it's just not as enjoyable for me as a fan. I don't like having a revolving door of players. As a fan, I don't really "get to know" them or get to experience an overarching story with them as they grow and mature from year to year. Imagine Nolan Smith or JJ Redick leaving after their freshman years and just how different your perspective and fondness for them would be.

Last edited:
I agree and just because those guys might have left early back in the day if they could have does not change the fact that they didn't; and it was more enjoyable to watch us build teams, even if it took a few years. I don't have to have a final four contender every single year. We are kind of doing that this year (building for the future) but we are not sure how many will return. I'm not interested in simply stockpiling the most young talent every year.

Last edited:
Part of our problem is that K is right when he said we don't develop talent. We reload with OAD's and those that weren't good enough to go pro get pushed onto the end of the bench or transfer out. We've had many kids the last several years that should be better and more developed than they were year to year but weren't simply because they hardly ever played and only served as giving a breather to a OAD.

And on one hand, I get it. You're going to play the best guys the most. On the other, when you reload and they're not as good as what you're used to getting and the rest of the team are those guys that hardly ever got playing time years prior then.. well, you may find yourself at 7-8 early Feb.

My frustration with the whole thing is that I just don't like Duke basketball right now. It's nothing personal, it's not built around animosity towards individual people or players in the program. But this is entertainment for me and right now I just don't enjoy the product. Sure, it's emphasized by our losing but our losing isn't the sole reason. I don't like us having embraced OAD philosophy - it's just not as enjoyable for me as a fan. I don't like having a revolving door of players. As a fan, I don't really "get to know" them or get to experience an overarching story with them as they grow and mature from year to year. Imagine Nolan Smith or JJ Redick leaving after their freshman years and just how different your perspective and fondness for them would be.

Well stated and I think more long time fans agree with this. The love of the program hasn't diminished but the product that made us avid fans has changed and its created distance between what we loved and where we are today. I hope that we can get back to the halcyon days but the way CBB is being influenced by the NBA makes me think that won't happen any time soon

It’s an easy fix to me. Let them make money at 18 like everybody ****** else! Why the hell does the “NBA”(all these filthy rich owners) $$$🙄 need a ******* 1 year insurance policy before their old ass makes an investment. Where do I sign up for some of that! Lol

I keep hearing about potential, but I’m waiting to see it. Jabari Parker was even more hyped and has never lived up to it, but he could clean JJ’s clock without breaking a sweat. A great high school career, great game against an undersized Coppin State and decent game against Pitt isn’t persuading me he’s anything to get excited about. Lots of collegians throwing up better numbers against better teams on a consistent basis.
Well if your looking for it this year forget it. Even during the ND game K said they are still monitoring his leg injury. Jabari maybe in high school could but I’ll take twenty dollars that says JJ on him in one on one is still fifty fifty .and sure some kids are putting up better numbers even way better but doesn’t mean it translates to the league .. Difference between Jabari and Jalen, atleast Jalen attempts to play defense it’s an after thought to Parker .

It’s an easy fix to me. Let them make money at 18 like everybody ****** else! Why the hell does the “NBA”(all these filthy rich owners) $$$🙄 need a ******* 1 year insurance policy before their old ass makes an investment. Where do I sign up for some of that! Lol
Last CBA, it was the players who voted to maintain the one year rule not the owners. They did so to protect veteran players being pushed out for development players teams could draft and stash in the gleague.

Reactions: IFaZe
Well stated and I think more long time fans agree with this. The love of the program hasn't diminished but the product that made us avid fans has changed and its created distance between what we loved and where we are today. I hope that we can get back to the halcyon days but the way CBB is being influenced by the NBA makes me think that won't happen any time soon

Right? I don't watch the NBA. If college basketball is just going to become a less talented version of the NBA then why would I be interested in that if I'm not even interested in the NBA to begin with? I would just keep up with the G League or something.

I was so hyped when we won in 2015. But was that ring nearly as special as 2010? Not by a mile. Have I been gutted by a tourney loss as much as I was when we lost to LSU in Redick's last game? Nope. Granted, this could totally just be a *me* issue - and I think it is to some extent because I'm older and have different priorities/things going on - but I just can't get invested in what college basketball has become the last several years. Again, some of that is on me but a lot of it is on college basketball/Duke as well.

And, honestly, I don't say that in a judgmental way. I don't necessarily think K has done anything wrong - he's playing to win; taking the best players he can get when he can get them. I totally get it. It's just college basketball itself has changed and I've never been this disinterested. It's been a long time coming and was waning a handful of years ago, had a big uptick because of Zion, but has really dropped back down again.

Well if your looking for it this year forget it. Even during the ND game K said they are still monitoring his leg injury. Jabari maybe in high school could but I’ll take twenty dollars that says JJ on him in one on one is still fifty fifty .and sure some kids are putting up better numbers even way better but doesn’t mean it translates to the league .. Difference between Jabari and Jalen, atleast Jalen attempts to play defense it’s an after thought to Parker .
IMO, comparing JJ’s and Jabari’s defensive abilities and/or interest is like comparing the speed of a snail to the speed of a fire hydrant. One may be faster but can’t brag about it.

Freshman just have trouble playing defense in Duke's system, and yet every year we roll out 3 or 4 freshman starters. Eventually this was going to happen. Zion could and Winslow could, but most struggle. it almost feels like the last 5 years we've just been trying to outscore teams.

Last edited:
Freshman just have trouble playing defense in Duke's system, and yet every year we roll out 3 or 4 freshman starters. Eventually this was going to happen. Zion could and Winslow could, but most struggle. it almost feels like the last 5 years we've just been trying to outscore teams.

Defense has to come from the desire the player and it has to come while he is in high school. 95 % per cent of high school players and it most definitely includes the best have no desire to play defense. OFC

Last edited:
Defense has to come from the desire f the player and it has to come while he is in high school. 95 % per cent of high school players and it most definitely includes the best have no desire to play defense. OFC

We need to start paying attention to who is on Virginia's recruiting list for stellar defense and land a few.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Defense has to come from the desire the player and it has to come while he is in high school. 95 % per cent of high school players and it most definitely includes the best have no desire to play defense. OFC

I respectfully disagree. Scheme and coaching are HUGE factors. There's no way Virginia just happens to find the handful of guys who WANT to play defense every year.

They have an outstanding scheme and a coach who is outstanding at coaching it.

There's a reason more and more schools utilize gap defenses. They are often very effective.

Not saying desire isn't a factor as well. It's certainly an important one.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23

I agree with your post for the most part Christophero. I think you are a great poster on here. Anyways I would also add the Jones Brothers, Carter Jr, Gary Trent Jr., Duval, Reddish, Barrett, and Moore Jr. were ready to play Defense from Day 1, I just feel like all of those guys should get their due.

as far as Virginia out producing Duke the last 3 seasons (2018-2020). They are 2-2 against each other. Virginia won it all in 2019 after being the only #1 seed to lose to a #16 in the ncaa tournament. This is not a knock on the cavs, I like Tony Bennett, enjoyed watching Guy, Hunter, Jerome and company matire into a championship contender. Duke made it to back to back elite 8s in that same time frame.

I know things look gloom this season for our Blue Devils, I am a realist. However, if things go as they should, then many of our posters will be happy with the makeup of our team next season. Imo, Duke SHOULD only lose Goldwire, Hurt, and Johnson at the conclusion of this season.

which means, Duke will return/add the following for 2021-2022:

Roach (Sophomore)
Steward (Sophomore)
Moore Jr (Junior)
Banchero (Freshman)
Williams (Sophomore)
Griffin Jr (Freshman)
Baker (Senior)
Coleman (Sophomore)
Brakefield (Sophomore)

next season, I hope many Blue Devil fans will be content with the makeup of the Duke roster they have been yearning for years. I feel Duke will be REALLY GOOD IN 2021-2022. Beat Kentucky by 40 points good in November.

Believe me, I hope that is true. But other than adding Baldwin that is a best case scenario you have mapped out. To me that is a sweet 16 team, which would be a huge improvement over this year. And that is assuming no one else leaves. Is Brakefield going to want to be a 9th or 10th man? Hopefully. It is a more experienced team, which I like. And Moore is becoming the player we thought he would be when we assumed he'd be 2 and done. This season just has taught me to temper expectations. but if the stars align we could be much improved. if we get Baldwin that would put us in a much better position.

Believe me, I hope that is true. But other than adding Baldwin that is a best case scenario you have mapped out. To me that is a sweet 16 team, which would be a huge improvement over this year. And that is assuming no one else leaves. Is Brakefield going to want to be a 9th or 10th man? Hopefully. It is a more experienced team, which I like. And Moore is becoming the player we thought he would be when we assumed he'd be 2 and done. This season just has taught me to temper expectations. but if the stars align we could be much improved. if we get Baldwin that would put us in a much better position.

my rebuttal. It’s not towards you per se, but many posters on here have clamored, “I miss the days when players stay 3-4 years or why don’t we recruit 3-4 stars instead of 5 stars so we can watch them develop even if it means going through growing pains into developing into the 2009-2010 team”. Well these next 2 seasons are the blue prints for recruiting more multi year guys as opposed to 1 and dones. Let me be clear, I loved the 2009-2010 duke team. Singler and Smith are my Co-Favorite Blue Devils of all time, Singler 1A, Smith 1B (they brought Duke back to prominence IMO). But some people forget how bad Duke was from 2006 (post Redick & Williams) - 2009 (getting moped off the floor by Villanova), do some of you really enjoy Duke not being a threat for the ncaa championship for 3 seasons? Goldwire was a 3 star and I love how he plays (tough defender and has improved every season), some posters who have wanted 3 or 4 stars for a long time bash the kid here on a regular basis. To me it seems that no matter what Coach K does, it is not enough for some of our fanbase and that’s sad. The man is in the conversation for GOAT WHEN IT COMES TO COACHING COLLEGE BASKETBALL and he deserves his due. Just my 2 cents I love Duke basketball and if any of you go to Indy for the tournament please send me a message I already have my lodging booked and would love to meet all of you if possible. I’ve got your first 2 rounds. Go Duke Always!

Last edited:
my rebuttal. It’s not towards you per se, but many posters on here have clamored, “I miss the days when players stay 3-4 years or why don’t we recruit 3-4 stars instead of 5 stars so we can watch them develop even if it means going through growing pains into developing into the 2009-2010 team”. Well these next 2 seasons are the blue prints for recruiting more multi year guys as opposed to 1 and dones. Let me be clear, I loved the 2009-2010 duke team. Singler and Smith are my Co-Favorite Blue Devils of all time, Singler 1A, Smith 1B (they brought Duke back to prominence IMO). But some people forget how bad Duke was from 2006 (post Redick & Williams) - 2009 (getting moped off the floor by Villanova), do some of you really enjoy Duke not being a threat for the ncaa championship for 3 seasons? Goldwire was a 3 star and I love how he plays (tough defender and has improved every season), some posters how have wanted 3 or 4 stars for a long time bash the kid on here a regular basis. To me it seems that no matter what Coach K does, it is not enough for some of our fanbase and that’s sad. The man is in the conversation for GOAT WHEN IT COMES TO COACHING COLLEGE BASKETBALL and he deserves his due. Just my 2 cents I love Duke basketball and if any of you go to Indy for the tournament please send me a message I already have my lodging booked and would love to meet all of you if possible. I’ve got your first 2 rounds. Go Duke Always!
Both posts, well done. If you really sit back and think about it, and you’re truly honest about where we are, were the last Decade and where we will be next year. Yeah i have a hard time trading it. This season is a shit show, but what hasn’t been in the last 12 months. Take our lumps and let these guys get valuable experience through adversity. Next years studs should be surrounded by a hungry, embattled group who’s goal is to never go through this again.

I agree with your post for the most part Christophero. I think you are a great poster on here. Anyways I would also add the Jones Brothers, Carter Jr, Gary Trent Jr., Duval, Reddish, Barrett, and Moore Jr. were ready to play Defense from Day 1, I just feel like all of those guys should get their due.

as far as Virginia out producing Duke the last 3 seasons (2018-2020). They are 2-2 against each other. Virginia won it all in 2019 after being the only #1 seed to lose to a #16 in the ncaa tournament. This is not a knock on the cavs, I like Tony Bennett, enjoyed watching Guy, Hunter, Jerome and company matire into a championship contender. Duke made it to back to back elite 8s in that same time frame.

I know things look gloom this season for our Blue Devils, I am a realist. However, if things go as they should, then many of our posters will be happy with the makeup of our team next season. Imo, Duke SHOULD only lose Goldwire, Hurt, and Johnson at the conclusion of this season.

which means, Duke will return/add the following for 2021-2022:

Roach (Sophomore)
Steward (Sophomore)
Moore Jr (Junior)
Banchero (Freshman)
Williams (Sophomore)
Griffin Jr (Freshman)
Baker (Senior)
Coleman (Sophomore)
Brakefield (Sophomore)

next season, I hope many Blue Devil fans will be content with the makeup of the Duke roster they have been yearning for years. I feel Duke will be REALLY GOOD IN 2021-2022. Beat Kentucky by 40 points good in November.
To reach that level in 2021-2022 K desperately needs to land another quality point guard. As we are finding out this year, one is not enough. To me, the problem now is that with Goldwire on the floor, opposing teams can guard us 5 on 4.

Disappointed and then impressed that they came back stronger to win it all the next year :)
No fair. You cheated here. I specifically asked about your thoughts right after the UMBC game. Remember? UVA came in as the #1 overall seed with a record of 31-2. The game was tied at 21 at the half. UMBC then dismantled UVA in the second half, 53-33. You're claiming you were merely "disappointed" that evening?

Something is amiss.
This isnt the Duke i've been cheering for and its been trending this way for 6 years.
Its just manifesting this year for all too see because of the L's

No fair. You cheated here. I specifically asked about your thoughts right after the UMBC game. Remember? UVA came in as the #1 overall seed with a record of 31-2. The game was tied at 21 at the half. UMBC then dismantled UVA in the second half, 53-33. You're claiming you were merely "disappointed" that evening?

The word right is missing :)
but...Yep..disappointed that an ACC team got bounced as the first-ever #1 seed to lose to a #16...still a Duke fan so getting UVA out was a bonus from that perspective...one less hurdle to win it all...but that didn't turn out to matter.

To reach that level in 2021-2022 K desperately needs to land another quality point guard. As we are finding out this year, one is not enough. To me, the problem now is that with Goldwire on the floor, opposing teams can guard us 5 on 4.

I would welcome a 6 year Goldwire to team up with Sophomore Goldwire to take on the point guard duties next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT