ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS ILLINOIS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

No shot. Most of these kids will think they’re good enough and inexplicably declare early. Then we still get to do it all again next year.

College basketball is going in the tank.
I don’t see anybody on Duke getting drafted other than Johnson and Brakefield( Maybe) but your right a lot of guys leave early even when advised not to, so we will see.

Reactions: christophero
Nothing easy on the offensive end and missing a lot of shots....watching other teams the offenses flow so easily....hopefully we right the ship....definitely more Brakefield, little less Goldy, more Roach...and BIGS!!!!.... ..next game equals next chance

On paper, the only OAD guy that should be leaving is Johnson, and I can see Hurt leaving too. I think were gonna see the effects this year when you go all in on OAD and only land 1 guy (Johnson: who is much closer to Winslow IMO than to Tatum/Ingram). Now, I'm fine winning in whatever matter as long as we win. If EVERYONE else comes back next year, we are gonna be absolutely loaded. I won't believe it till it happens though.

College basketball is dead. If guys like Steward, Roach, Brakefield, and Moore leave after this year, than I just don't see any way out of this mess other than to land the best of the best recruits every year. However, I'm cool taking some lumps this year if K's plan is to keep everyone around and then sprinkle in some of the best talents in the country next year.

This year for us feels like how UK has been the past few years. When you have to fill in a whole new roster basically, it's extremely difficult to do that with guys who aren't the absolute best in their class as freshman. As long as we keep getting better and are playing good basketball in March, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Game recap, and why it is too early to panic.

Nothing easy on the offensive end and missing a lot of shots....watching other teams the offenses flow so easily....hopefully we right the ship....definitely more Brakefield, little less Goldy, more Roach...and BIGS!!!!.... ..next game equals next chance

The difference in offensive flow between Illinois and Duke was stark. The team has a lot of work to do, but I am confident they will look like a completely different team by March.

On paper, the only OAD guy that should be leaving is Johnson, and I can see Hurt leaving too. I think were gonna see the effects this year when you go all in on OAD and only land 1 guy (Johnson: who is much closer to Winslow IMO than to Tatum/Ingram). Now, I'm fine winning in whatever matter as long as we win. If EVERYONE else comes back next year, we are gonna be absolutely loaded. I won't believe it till it happens though.

College basketball is dead. If guys like Steward, Roach, Brakefield, and Moore leave after this year, than I just don't see any way out of this mess other than to land the best of the best recruits every year. However, I'm cool taking some lumps this year if K's plan is to keep everyone around and then sprinkle in some of the best talents in the country next year.

This year for us feels like how UK has been the past few years. When you have to fill in a whole new roster basically, it's extremely difficult to do that with guys who aren't the absolute best in their class as freshman. As long as we keep getting better and are playing good basketball in March, I'll be happy.
Agreed. The NBA has slowly ruined college basketball.

Reactions: jwill133
I wouldn't be surprised if Hurt leaves, even if it's a mistake. He may feel by staying his weaknesses will just become more obvious and then he'll be considered "old". Kind of like Grayson.

But with Banchero coming in, our athleticism will improve and with Williams back and hopefully a lot stronger,and Coleman, we'll be fine up front, even if Tape moves on.

Another really tough game to watch. The lack of cohesion and leadership with this group is alarming. The first item you kind of accept and chalk up to being young, with the hope it improves as the season continues. The latter, however, is more worrisome. This group looks like, to me, they lack any real, true leaders.

Our defense is a little above average. Actually better than some recent teams of the past decade. Even still, it's not very good....it's just better than average. (I'm trying to find positives here.)

Our offense lacks any kind of identity right now. Maybe this falls under the cohesion I spoke about above? I don't know anymore. K always talks about playing as a fist....clearly we're not doing that. You can coach and teach offense, but sometimes it's a work in progress. Part of me thought maybe K is using tough love with this group, but after his presser last night I don't know if that's the case. Mentally tough groups can handle and thrive off that...this group might need hand-holding.

And again....watching college basketball, and really any sport for that matter, without fans right now is so boring. Don't take that to imply I think we win with fans (that's not the case)....it's just a hard watch.

Long ways to go. Hopefully we improve and guys return. I just don't see JJ as a lottery pick. He looks like a second rounder to me. That's not an insult Vern was a second rounder.

Last edited:
It seems to me K and staff have decided that the offense is to run almost exclusively thru Hurt, at least for now. I can only suspect that as practice progressed it became apparent that the other pieces were not as offensively gifted as the staff had hoped, especially the bigs and Moore who I think everyone expected to be a key spark. I think Hurt looks much improved, but I don't think he can carry the team, especially not night after night, I submit an oh-fer from three last night as evidence including a couple that didn't even catch iron.

Others need to step up. Johnson has shown potential. So have others at times. I was also encouraged by more movement on offense last night, and I think our defense is pretty good, especially last night in the second half. With Covid cancelations who knows what the ACC season is going to look like this year?? But two losses against legit E8 teams in Michigan State and Illinois is not the end of the world. There is a lot of room to improve, but we have time to pull things together for the ACC season.

Let's go Duke!

You guys have a lot of athleticism, but are looking for the 1 guy to carry. These guys haven't played together & missed out on all of their scrimmages & easier games to get into a rhythm. COVID makes it harder too. Just a lot of circumstances.

Reminds me of our 2018 Kentucky team. Knox was our "guy", but not really on that level to carry just yet. Shai Alexander stepped up and we found a way to make it work by March. You guys will be a good team. Right now, you are not, but teams with freshman have a much LARGER room for improvement....and combine that with the superior talent and coaching...big room for growth. You at least have Johnson...and that's a great building block to start from as he has some special talent.

I also see a big portion of this roster you have returning....to pair with Banchero & Baldwin next season.

This team also doesn't fit at all, when it comes to our top guys. Hurt is a 4, and Jalen is a 4, and those are our 2 best guys. Neither are vey flexible as far as being able to play other positions. Hurt can play some 5, but he's gonna get in foul trouble like last night and we need him to score, plus we then have no rim protection. Jalen can't shoot, so it really limits his position to the 4.

I don't think we can score any baskets when we have Jalen at the 3, Hurt at the 4, Williams 5. That lineup led to us being down 15-2. Williams clogs everything up, and Jalen playing the 3 allows the defense to park guys in the paint. This is a big issue and I don't have the answer for how to get around it.

Find Coach K's press conference post game....some very good perspective. He knows the issues and has some thoughts on whether we should actually should be playing during this time

Thank you. Completely agree.

Reactions: jwill133
Not to pick on Moore and Baker, but we need them to step up. We were expecting 16-20 points per game consistently between the two of them by this point. 12 and 6 sounds reasonable. So other than Hurt we got....9 points from our upperclassman(non freshman). That is not going to result in many wins as the freshman are not world beaters. The young guards did play better last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
Agree 100% on Moore/Baker. I think everyone, including the coaching staff figured the duo would be good for 15-20 points a night combined. They had a combined 4 points against MI State and Illinois. Jalen had that great opening game and then not much since. I think the staff is scrambling to find scoring when they didn't think they needed to worry nearly this much.

Find Coach K's press conference post game....some very good perspective. He knows the issues and has some thoughts on whether we should actually should be playing during this time

and those comments have been flipped

I agree with his comments but bad timing coming after a spanking. Of course the media is already running with it.

I said before the season they shouldn't play and people hammered me for it cause they couldn't go without their Duke basketball....I love it too but it's too risky IMO

And saying this the day after a beat down sounds like a cop out to me....things are going bad so "we shouldn't be playing"...come on even the most die hard K apologists can agree with this...but I'm sure most won't

Reactions: SWEc/o95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT