ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FLORIDA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

We made 19-of-20 at the FT line....that’s pretty remarkable to me. Probably the most stunning stat of the whole game, IMO.

One other thing, while I was a bit surprised we came back against Texas, their youth makes it more likely. But Florida, I was really surprised to see their panic and being so discheveled the last four minutes, all while the youngest team in the history of the Duke program looks incredibly poised.

We’re probably going to win Wednesday night in Indiana, but it might be sloppy. Just saw the team will land in Durham sometime around 10:30 tomorrow morning and turns around less than 24 hours later for Bloomington. These kids are more mentally spent than physically right now.

That free throw shooting made a difference. Especially Gary's at crunch time. OFC

I love this team. I will never give up on a Duke team until the final buzzer. I've seen too many explosive runs by Duke teams that I know a game isn't over. When they lock in and it's win time, this team brings it. We get stops and we make shots/free throws. Free throws were clearly mental early on. Bagley and Carter both have good form on their shots. They will get that percentage up as the season goes along and they get comfortable with the atmosphere.

-I don't know why people are so hard on Trevon. He is a key piece to this team. His defensive ability at the point guard spot is very critical. Yes he will make mistakes because he's trying to grow into being a true point guard while on the job at Duke. He has done great so far this year. I've seen people complain about him on a night where he had 6 assists and 2 turnovers. I'll take that line. I hope he keeps shooting and don't shy away when he's wide open.

-Gary Trent is a defensive stopper. I made it a job to watch him on defense and that kid is an elite defender. He's strong and his lateral quickness is really good. When his shot is falling we can really be unstoppable. He's the one that will take us over the top.

-The frontcourt looks good. I love this group. They are the best front court Duke has ever had. Bagley is a force. Carter is elite when he's not in foul trouble. Javin is the energizer bunny and he always seem to make a few steals at the right time. Bolden is giving quality minutes off the bench. His motor is getting much better. I like how he's aggressive in getting his shot. They will fall eventually

I love this team. I will never give up on a Duke team until the final buzzer. I've seen too many explosive runs by Duke teams that I know a game isn't over. When they lock in and it's win time, this team brings it. We get stops and we make shots/free throws. Free throws were clearly mental early on. Bagley and Carter both have good form on their shots. They will get that percentage up as the season goes along and they get comfortable with the atmosphere.

-I don't know why people are so hard on Trevon. He is a key piece to this team. His defensive ability at the point guard spot is very critical. Yes he will make mistakes because he's trying to grow into being a true point guard while on the job at Duke. He has done great so far this year. I've seen people complain about him on a night where he had 6 assists and 2 turnovers. I'll take that line. I hope he keeps shooting and don't shy away when he's wide open.

-Gary Trent is a defensive stopper. I made it a job to watch him on defense and that kid is an elite defender. He's strong and his lateral quickness is really good. When his shot is falling we can really be unstoppable. He's the one that will take us over the top.

-The frontcourt looks good. I love this group. They are the best front court Duke has ever had. Bagley is a force. Carter is elite when he's not in foul trouble. Javin is the energizer bunny and he always seem to make a few steals at the right time. Bolden is giving quality minutes off the bench. His motor is getting much better. I like how he's aggressive in getting his shot. They will fall eventually
We all love this team. We aren't the only ones hard on Duval. K gets irritated at him and takes him out for stretches. That's called tough coaching or tough love. It's because he has it in him to be a great point guard. K is teaching him, and apparently when he yanks him out, it's the best way he feels to get him to understand. I'm a little hard on him, but it's for same reasons as other posters, we know how good he is and more importantly, how good he can be.

On Duvall, I agree a lot with what Chov said in another thread. If you watch a lot of Duvall's highlights from before Duke, he looks best as a slasher and penetrator. Our bigs have the lane so clogged up that he is having to change the way he is used to playing and figure out what THIS team needs from him. He will get there. Just my take.

Reactions: Showenuff
Grayson leads all scorers and we win a nerve wrecking battle.
Duke 82
Fla. 79

Hey Skysdad, I didn't have the score correct but I had the spread and the nerve wrecking battle part down. Probably doesn't rate a chicken dinner, but can't I get some cookies or something? Maybe a pack of all red m&m's????

Reactions: skysdad
Hey Skysdad, I didn't have the score correct but I had the spread and the nerve wrecking battle part down. Probably doesn't rate a chicken dinner, but can't I get some cookies or something? Maybe a pack of all red m&m's????

How about a MacFish. OFC

Three hours of sleep. My azz is hurting here at work. Longest day ever, but worth every bit of it. My tarhole coworkers are very quiet today. The silence is golden.

It's budget time of year for me, so I've been analyzing numbers most of the day at work. That's actually made the day go by at a pretty decent clip. I'm tired, though.

Reactions: QC Dukie
I realize that Bagley put up 82 points in the last three games, but does anyone else think we're still not looking to our bigs enough? Particularly last night when Duval kept trying to push a drive into the lane.

Our win probability of coming back from both Texas and Florida was 0.04%.

2.9% being down 16 with 10:06 left.
1.5% being down 17 with 9:54 left.

It's a short list of UNC fans that can do this math.

Where did you get these numbers?

I saw it on a graph ESPN had last night on SC following the game, then also saw it in a tweet this morning. Pretty remarkable. Admittedly, I might have gave them less of a chance last night with about 10 minutes left.

Reactions: dukephysics
Well, we kept the Gators 25.5 points below their scoring average at the PK80 too. :)

OFC

I realize that Bagley put up 82 points in the last three games, but does anyone else think we're still not looking to our bigs enough? Particularly last night when Duval kept trying to push a drive into the lane.

Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that I do think we can pound the ball inside more. No, in that the problem in two of the last three games is that our best natural post scorer was in foul trouble. Marvin is splendid, too, in the post, but he plays a more diversified game than Wendell. I just don't think Javin and Marques are consistent options quite yet. So, IMO, I think Wendell being out played into that some.

Also, if Duval, and even Grayson, can work their way into the lane it creates openings....meaning, going over the top of the defense or freeing up our shooters on the perimeter.

Reactions: Mpm277
Our win probability of coming back from both Texas and Florida was 0.04%.

2.9% being down 16 with 10:06 left.
1.5% being down 17 with 9:54 left.

2.9% x 1.5% = 0.0435%.
But this is correct only if you make another assumption that these two come-backs are "independent" random events. Maybe there is something in our boys' blood that make these "correlated" events!

Now the list of UNC fans understanding this may be even shorter?

Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that I do think we can pound the ball inside more. No, in that the problem in two of the last three games is that our best natural post scorer was in foul trouble. Marvin is splendid, too, in the post, but he plays a more diversified game than Wendell. I just don't think Javin and Marques are consistent options quite yet. So, IMO, I think Wendell being out played into that some.

Also, if Duval, and even Grayson, can work their way into the lane it creates openings....meaning, going over the top of the defense or freeing up our shooters on the perimeter.

I wonder what our best offense is in a half court. Would it be better to 1) go inside first and then kick out (if necessary), or 2) better to drive to collapse defense and then drop off/kick out (if necessary)? Regardless 1) or 2), the guys w/o ball cannot just stand and watch.

I saw a few possessions where Grayson put up tough low percentage shots and also another time when Bagley did the same. But the difference was that Grayson was under single coverage, and almost by definition, Bagley shot would never be a bad shot under single coverage.

So I guess I like inside-out a bit more than driving the lane. (Of course, we should mix it up.) With inside-out, if our other guys can move w/o ball, I feel our offense would be very hard to stop, while attacking the lane may not work against a good defense. Even more so when Tre is doing the driving, since defense can sag.

Also love Tucker's attitude. Seems genuinely happy (all the time) even though he is not yet seeing the floor. Hope he can pull through.

We all love this team. We aren't the only ones hard on Duval. K gets irritated at him and takes him out for stretches. That's called tough coaching or tough love. It's because he has it in him to be a great point guard. K is teaching him, and apparently when he yanks him out, it's the best way he feels to get him to understand. I'm a little hard on him, but it's for same reasons as other posters, we know how good he is and more importantly, how good he can be.

Yea he's learning on the job so I expect mistakes. He's going to take ill advised shots or make risky passes. I expect that especially in the first month of the season. I see him doing more good than bad though. That's just me

Also love Tucker's attitude. Seems genuinely happy (all the time) even though he is not yet seeing the floor. Hope he can pull through.

Is this the same Tucker that was rumored to be transferring a week ago. OFC

Reactions: dbav
Let's all pray we never have a game that late again. After I gave up during texas, I kept telling myself, no matter how bad this Florida game get's I'm not going to stop watching. Thankful I kept watching!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT