ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS FLORIDA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
This should be another good one - and another battle against a top team that should continue to prepare us for the upcoming conference season.

Offensively, we're almost unstoppable. With our front court size and athleticism and our athletic backcourt, offense will continue to be where we hang our hat. Much like the 2015 NC team, defense, however, is where the biggest improvement needs to come. Once the 15' team bought in defensively, it never looked back. I see many similarities this year...

Today's championship game will be a late one - tipping at 10:30pm est and will air on ESPN HD. Duke comes in as a -1 1/2 point favorite and despite Friday's game going to OT in which Duke trailed much of the game, they covered again Friday leaving only the Southern and Portland State games as the two games it hasn't. I like our chances again...

Duke 88

Florida 83

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: skysdad
Need to slow down their guards. I don’t know how this will turn out but our kids have shown a ton of fight. I am worried about the late start tonight and the travel home, then turning around and going to Indiana Wednesday.
Win or lose should be a great game tonight!

Really looking forward to the game tonight, should be a "white knuckler"! I really don't think a lot of people realize the significance of the comeback against Texas, that was huuuuuuge against a team playing their best. Don't know how many teams could have come back like that, given the way Texas was playing, but it wouldn't be many. So proud of these kids.
Lastly, I think the way Grayson played when he came back in the 2nd half, might be an omen of what is to come tonight. I really feel that he will be at his best tonight, and if Trevon can play even with Chiozza and limit turnovers, I like our chances. Duke will limit the Florida's 3's and pull this one out.
Go Duke!
OFC

Our defense isn't what it needs to be, yet, so we have to rely on our offense. Once Duval went out of the last game and Allen ran the point, he drove into the lane every single position and it completely changed the game. He fouls out and Duval goes back to swinging it around and trying to dump it down low. Hopefully Duval learned over the last 48 hours that this team can get anything it wants offensively if he just drives the lane and draws in the defenders.

At the end of regulation against Texas, a fan next to me told Bagley he "settled on that jumper." He definitely took notice, and dominated the first few possessions in OT. Hopefully he comes out with that same intensity from the beginning. No one can stop him.

Reactions: PHXDukie
Here’s what worries me. It’s not that Florida is better than we are. I just think we’re tired. We’ve already played 7 games. It seems like every team we’ve faced the past two weeks have played 2 or 3 less games. And a bunch of our games have been the past two weeks. I kinda think it’s why we’ve been sluggish to start games. Hopefully Duke wins but they need some rest.

The Gators have the potential to make anyone look bad the way they can shoot the 3...just like some of our past teams have had. That said, to win they will have to make quite a few 3's ('cause they shoot a bunch), and we can win without making many. I like our chances especially with this being the 3rd game in 4 days...heavy legs. And I'm sure K and staff have shown them some film of their terrible transition D against Texas.

Oh, and I'll mention Texas just once more here. To emphasize what Duke accomplished in the 2nd half against the Horns is that they are the #5 rated defensive team in the country per Kenpom...and that's after the Duke game was included.

Duke 86
Florida 80

OFC

Duke is in for a battle. I’ll link the game from last season. Florida has a very similar team in terms of personnel, but they’re more seasoned and are a better shooting squad. We didn’t separate last season until Tatum and Kennard took over, so we’ll need a strong balanced effort again. I think we can beat them. I think we will beat them.

Duke - 89
Florida - 78

Side note: My daughter was born that night so maybe there was some helpful karma as well. :D

Is anyone actually going to be able to stay up and watch this entire game? I mean it won't tip off till sometime after 11:00 EST and won't be over until after 1:00am

I'd love to watch but 4:30 comes too early to stay up past 1:00am...don't understand why championship wasn't last night

Hope to wake up to a Duke win tomorrow...but this will be a tough game

Reactions: dukehokie
I think the key is going to be rebounding Florida's missed 3's (I hope they're not red hot). If we give them multiple shots on their possessions, it's going to be a dog fight. Theyre not going to be able to check Bags and Wendell. I'm picking us to win 90-82.

Is anyone actually going to be able to stay up and watch this entire game? I mean it won't tip off till sometime after 11:00 EST and won't be over until after 1:00am

I'd love to watch but 4:30 comes too early to stay up past 1:00am...don't understand why championship wasn't last night

Hope to wake up to a Duke win tomorrow...but this will be a tough game
I'll be watching every second! I'm semi retired now. I use to take me a preface nap when Duke played a late game if I had to get up early the next day. I'm looking forward to watching the Holes lose and us win!

Talent wise, Duke has the most in the country. What K and all of us fans are banking on is all our freshmen learning how to play team defense.
We have one senior, and he has to be good, better than he has been.
If Duke plays close to potential, we are hard to beat. The only reason we're worried is our d has been a little shaky.
Duke 89-83

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
If Grayson & Trent can hit a few 3's, with our inside strength, I think we win. It's going to be a battle! GO DUKE!!!
OFC

I know nobody wants to hear it, but this is our first loss. Our defense will get better down the road for all these freshmen, but right now, we ain't there. Florida by 8 -10. Our only hope is if Trent starts hitting the long ball and Grayson gets back to normal. Got my fingers crossed.

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
So freaking late! I think we watch the final four tonight though honestly..

Duke-85
UF-77

Hopefully UNCheat will lose and their fans won’t wanna linger around and be Florida fans for 2 hours

I’m guess anyone not wearing Duke Blue will be rooting against us, but why should tonight be any different

I know nobody wants to hear it, but this is our first loss. Our defense will get better down the road for all these freshmen, but right now, we ain't there. Florida by 8 -10. Our only hope is if Trent starts hitting the long ball and Grayson gets back to normal. Got my fingers crossed.

I ain't staying up that late to watch us lose Show. We're gonna win for that reason. OFC

Duke by +12....IF:

1. Grayson finds his groove AND
2. Duval plays the role of the pass-first PG we saw in the first two games AND
3. We play better defense. Especially on the perimeter — not seeing the zone on this game as much.

The shots will come. The FTs will get better. And the bigs will be fine.

I’m expecting a dominating game on our part.

I think we lose this one. Things have been trending in that direction. Not a big deal tho. Hopefully UNC does too. Gonna be tired tomorrow.

I think tonight is a wake up call for this team. They haven't been playing to their potential the last 4 games (at least a significant portion of each game) and have still been rewarded with wins. I don't think that'll happen tonight. If we bring it from the opening tip and make good decisions with good defense, then we can definitely win. But the last few games makes me hesitant to say we come out firing on all cylinders. If so, Florida better watch out. If not, our guys will be getting their first L.

Reactions: Showenuff
Duke by +12....IF:

1. Grayson finds his groove AND
2. Duval plays the role of the pass-first PG we saw in the first two games AND
3. We play better defense. Especially on the perimeter — not seeing the zone on this game as much.

The shots will come. The FTs will get better. And the bigs will be fine.

I’m expecting a dominating game on our part.

I don’t even think needs to be strictly pass first. If he attacks the basket to score AND facilitates, we will win probably 99% of the games we play.

If he wastes possessions practicing his 3 ball for the scouts, then we come down 2-3 notches.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Florida on this. Our current defense has not inspired me to believe we will win. But I love Duke and I'll be pulling for them hard!

Hopefully in the off day some defensive concepts were discussed including “want to”. If they can chase Florida off of the 3 point line I like Duke 85-77

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT