ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS CLEMSON - ACC TOURNEY - OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Is Giles hitting his freshman wall now? The timing would be about right for him. He looked way better a month ago than he does now and he hasn't had any setbacks. I don't get it.

I've been holding out hope all year that we would see a different team in the postseason. But its the same team with the same issues. It has nothing to do with Grayson and Amile being injured. It has everything to do with not having a true point guard, not being able to play solid defense for stretches at a time, and not having a killer instinct (and not being able to rely on our bench or our bigs). I really feel like its too late at this point to change these issues which have been plaguing us all year.

I do, however, feel like we can beat any team on any given night. But I have zero confidence that we can sustain it for 6 games in a row.

This is pretty spot on. Regarding Giles, I think he's in an impossible spot. He only gets a few minutes here and there so it's tough to build confidence. The offense and rebounding are there you can see it. The defense is shockingly bad. He's awful in pick and roll scenarios and he's scared to death to contest anything at the rim. Coach trusts Amile much much more and who am I to doubt him. But what Harry needs, sizeable consistent game minutes, we can't afford him right now. It is what it is. There's no point hoping for anything different going forward we just have to grind out as many wins as we can here on out

We would have under 10 wins TOTAL without Luke and Jayson on this squad.

Happy to see Frank coming on. Grayson did look healthier than last week, however he played awful.

We are what we are at this point....a collection of individual scorers with no team cohesion and 1 great defender. We will need a barrage of 3-pointers to make a run in either tournament we have left.

After the game Coach K told Frank "The Mormon Megladon" Jackson that he is the key for this team. Frank is currently Bane in the Dark Knight Rises and Grayson is the crippled batman in the jail cell. Feel bad for Grayson, but he definitely does not have the composure Duke needs to make a run in March.
So if Jackson has a bad game and Grayson comes back hard does that mean Jackson ends up like Bane?

This is pretty spot on. Regarding Giles, I think he's in an impossible spot. He only gets a few minutes here and there so it's tough to build confidence. The offense and rebounding are there you can see it. The defense is shockingly bad. He's awful in pick and roll scenarios and he's scared to death to contest anything at the rim. Coach trusts Amile much much more and who am I to doubt him. But what Harry needs, sizeable consistent game minutes, we can't afford him right now. It is what it is. There's no point hoping for anything different going forward we just have to grind out as many wins as we can here on out

It would be hard, IMO, to give Harry the sizeable and consistent game minutes because he can't stay on the floor. The last few weeks it seems he's averaging a foul for about every three minutes he plays.

The problem isn't who we can and cannot beat. Its the fact that we don't have the intangibles to hold leads and close teams out. Tatum's basketball IQ is one of the lowest I have ever seen for a player with his talent. His errors will be our downfall.

I'll respectfully disagree and say our lack of defensive prowess will undo us.

Well, this is the first of two (2) seasons left, Survive and Advance! We are 1-0 with 9 to go. It wasn't always pretty, but it is a "W". Look at the bright side, we haven't played our best basketball yet, and we're still here! The kids really hung in there. Next play!
Go Duke!
OFC

I keep hoping, Grayson can get his shot back- the way he was shooting around the 1st UNC game. Frank and Jayson are coming into their own, Amile is healthier and Luke is Luke. Think of all this, and you put up a W over a desperate Clemson team with Grayson not scoring...If G can get it back, we can beat anybody the rest of the way I truly feel...

OFC

I keep hoping, Grayson can get his shot back- the way he was shooting around the 1st UNC game. Frank and Jayson are coming into their own, Amile is healthier and Luke is Luke. Think of all this, and you put up a W over a desperate Clemson team with Grayson not scoring...If G can get it back, we can beat anybody the rest of the way I truly feel...

OFC
Agreed. Some on this board have already packed it in for the season. I truly feel we can make a run. If it's so painful to watch, then just don't watch. I'm not giving up on this team.

Agreed. Some on this board have already packed it in for the season. I truly feel we can make a run. If it's so painful to watch, then just don't watch. I'm not giving up on this team.
I'm with you QC. It's not like we haven't had a chance to win every game since late January. I enjoy every minute of my Duke basketball.
It always helps me get through the winter.

The problem isn't who we can and cannot beat. Its the fact that we don't have the intangibles to hold leads and close teams out. Tatum's basketball IQ is one of the lowest I have ever seen for a player with his talent. His errors will be our downfall.
Quite possibly the dumbest comment of the year. We lose today without Tatum. We would have lost to UVA, ND, UNC etc. without Tatum too.

Reactions: Duke It Out

I have never given up on the Devils, and never will.....This team stepped it up in the 2nd half today against a desperate club fighting for a bid....

OFC

Quite possibly the dumbest comment of the year. We lose today without Tatum. We would have lost to UVA, ND, UNC etc. without Tatum too.
Actually, what is dumb is for you to assume that we would have no chance to win specific games because we dont have a certain player. You have no clue how the game would be different with a different lineup. I am confident you would have said we had no chance to beat Kansas without Tatum but we ended up a play or two away from doing so. I could easily go through and find numerous games we MIGHT have won without Tatum's dumb shot selection and mistakes at the end of the game. But as I said, that would be dumb.

A player with a high basketball IQ knows when he has a mismatch and can take his guy to the hoop everytime. A guy with a high basketball IQ knows he shouldn't keep jacking up 3 pointers when he isn't a great shooter. A player with a high basketball IQ knows when to pull up for a jumper instead of driving further and getting offensive fouls. Very talented? Yes. High basketball IQ? Nope.

Actually, what is dumb is for you to assume that we would have no chance to win specific games because we dont have a certain player. You have no clue how the game would be different with a different lineup. I am confident you would have said we had no chance to beat Kansas without Tatum but we ended up a play or two away from doing so. I could easily go through and find numerous games we MIGHT have won without Tatum's dumb shot selection and mistakes at the end of the game. But as I said, that would be dumb.

A player with a high basketball IQ knows when he has a mismatch and can take his guy to the hoop everytime. A guy with a high basketball IQ knows he shouldn't keep jacking up 3 pointers when he isn't a great shooter. A player with a high basketball IQ knows when to pull up for a jumper instead of driving further and getting offensive fouls. Very talented? Yes. High basketball IQ? Nope.
Justin Robinson has a high basketball IQ. I guess he should be playing over Tatum.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
You do reliase these are 18 19 year old kids right....Tatums IQ is one of the best on our team wow...for a freshman too it's even more impressive ...He makes mistakes yes mental lapses yea who on this team doesn't he'll any team

I think ever since his great performance against uva we've relied to much on him to create late in the shot clock ..little much imo.edpecially with Allen struggling

Justin Robinson has a high basketball IQ. I guess he should be playing over Tatum.
First, how do you know what Justin Robinson's basketball IQ is? Secondly, No one is saying that he shouldn't play. He is too talented not to. Just saying that he does not have a high basketball IQ and in my opinion, one of his mistakes or bad shots at the end of a game is going to do us in this year.

First, how do you know what Justin Robinson's basketball IQ is? Secondly, No one is saying that he shouldn't play. He is too talented not to. Just saying that he does not have a high basketball IQ and in my opinion, one of his mistakes or bad shots at the end of a game is going to do us in this year.
Its 134. And I was just making a point.

You do reliase these are 18 19 year old kids right....Tatums IQ is one of the best on our team wow...for a freshman too it's even more impressive ...He makes mistakes yes mental lapses yea who on this team doesn't he'll any team
I mean, relatively speaking, yes he has one of the best basketball IQs on the team but I'm not sure that is saying much since we have 15 or so players. Amile, Grayson, Luke, and Frank all have a much high basketball IQ in my opinion and don't make the dumb mistakes that Tatum does. How often do you see any of those guys taking numerous bad shots in a game? Not often.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I mean, relatively speaking, yes he has one of the best basketball IQs on the team but I'm not sure that is saying much since we have 15 or so players. Amile, Grayson, Luke, and Frank all have a much high basketball IQ in my opinion and don't make the dumb mistakes that Tatum does. How often do you see any of those guys taking numerous bad shots in a game? Not often.
2nd dumbest comment of the year.

Last edited:
it's not just about bad shots ...how often do you see Grayson take bad shots!??? All the time! he's just been making them .not lately though .jackson turns the ball over a lot also js..I love all our guys though not getting into negatives tonight ...gthc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT