ADVERTISEMENT

Duke signature plays.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Got this from DukeDenver's post about Tre going into the draft. You can name as many as you want but just one at a time so we can get more posters involved. Got to keep the board going during off season some how. My 1st signature play is by Jason Tatum assault dunk on kennedy meeks. I love watching that replay so much. Please posters just one signature play at a time. Do not be a hoarder. :D OFC

Reactions: jwill133
This thread should fill up. There have been so many I forget about like the ones from politicsasusual and huffyJB. OFC

Singler's reaction to the Plumlee alley oop during 82-50.

There's one more I want to post, but I'm sure someone will get it.

I’ve got a few that come to mind but I’m going to start with one that I’m surprised nobody has said yet and that’s the Austin Rivers dagger 3 against UNC in Chapel Hill.

Last edited:
I know Christian Laettners shot against Kentucky gets all the love and rightfully so, but the buzzer beater against UConn was pretty awesome too. A little double pump....nothing but nylon.

Reactions: skysdad
Not a signature play, but a signature sequence....Mike Dunleavy making three 3’s in 45 seconds against Arizona in the 2001 national championship game.

Reactions: GillJET
I’ll post one for the OFC s as they deserve some recognition. Johnny Dawkins block of Rivers against Norte dame in Cameron.

Tyus’s dagger 3 in the 2015 title game.

Singler’s defense on Hayward the final possession of the 2010 title game.

Tre’s pull up jumper to win the 2020 title game.

Not a signature play, but the 97-98 season has 2 moments in the same game. Playing the tar holes, senior day in Durham. They are having their way with us in the 1st half. The first moment is Coach K walking to the bench before the 2nd half starts, no jacket. Then we peck away, pulling it out.
The second moment is the full on sprint to K from Wojo. That still makes the hair on my neck stand up.

Not a signature play, but a signature sequence....Mike Dunleavy making three 3’s in 45 seconds against Arizona in the 2001 national championship game.

I’ve heard quoting yourself is cool, so I’m doing it.

Completely forgot about Shane’s big block right before Dunleavy’s third three. I should say, I remember the block, just didn’t realize it was during that specific sequence.

That block and behind the back pass to start the break was amazing. To finish with the 3 is almost too good to be true. That and the backhanded tip also mentioned were unbelievable.

Little known tidbit. I asked Grayson to dedicate a big time play to Sky before that game. And, yes, he did Sky in for that slam.

Reactions: dbav and skysdad
I guess this one is special to me. Marshall Plumlee's 3 pointer in C.I.S. I'm older than old as dirt devil and .I came out of my recliner in one smooth motion. I will never forget the smile on his face. You could tell it was a special moment for him and how his team mates were so happy for him. No it wasn't a buzzer beater but to me it was a signature moment. OFC

Reactions: dbav
I guess this one is special to me. Marshall Plumlee's 3 pointer in C.I.S. I'm older than old as dirt devil and .I came out of my recliner in one smooth motion. I will never forget the smile on his face. You could tell it was a special moment for him and how his team mates were so happy for him. No it wasn't a buzzer beater but to me it was a signature moment. OFC
I was just about to post about that, so since you beat me to it, I’ll go with what was going to be my next play that I was going to post. When Coach K ran up and gave Mason Plumlee a huge bear hug after he threw down a nice dunk. That play was the reason that I got banned from THR for the first time. lol

I love senior days especially when we win and seeing our seniors walk off the court for the last time at C.I.S. to a ovation from the fans always makes my eyeballs sweat a little . I have a lot of special signature moments to remember one of which includes Gene Banks passing out the roses to the fans along with J.J. Redicks moment with Coach K. But my favorite is when Grayson Allen came off the court and embraced all the coaches but seeing him with Coach K. just broke me down. Here was a young man who because of lack of control of his emotions stuck it at out Duke . He lost his role as team captain and stood up to the opposing fans ridicule and the media's criticism. That moment he shared with Coach K showed me his character and Coach K's love and respect he had for Grayson. Signature moment. OFC

92 National Championship Grant Hill 2 nd half reverse dunk and the crowd standing straight up behind the goal as the ball went through basket in sequence

Another Zion play. When he ran down the court and threw down a nasty dunk, I believe it was the 360 dunk and from one of the camera angles you could see RJ jump in the air simultaneously with Zion. So many opposing fans were saying throughout the season that there was jealousy between the 2 of them and that play was just one piece of proof that there wasn’t any jealousy between the 2 of them.

Last edited:
Sky beat me to the Gene Banks jumper on senior day so I'll take Johnny Dawkins reverse slam vs Navy in the NCAA's as well as Phil Henderson's dunk on Alonzo in the East Region final.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT