ADVERTISEMENT

Duke games online...

Sep 13, 2017
I have a question about watching Duke play online. I am a little behind on technology in today's world and was wondering if you guys could give any ideas. I pay a lot for cable and with a recent layoff I need to cut back. With the monster team Duke has this season I really hate to miss the games. What are my options as far as watching the games online. It doesn't even have to be live. I just want to keep up. Thanks in advance.

Well, I suggest Sling Tv. It's 20 dollars a month (plus tax) and includes ESPN, which most of the Duke games are broadcast on. There are a few more games on ESPN2, and you can add that with an 'add on pack' that adds 5 bucks more to the cost. All you need is a streaming device, and you're ready.

Oh, and I don't have any affiliation with Sling, other than the fact I'm a suscriber.

Well, I suggest Sling Tv. It's 20 dollars a month (plus tax) and includes ESPN, which most of the Duke games are broadcast on. There are a few more games on ESPN2, and you can add that with an 'add on pack' that adds 5 bucks more to the cost. All you need is a streaming device, and you're ready.

Oh, and I don't have any affiliation with Sling, other than the fact I'm a suscriber.

ODD do you have to commit to Sling for 2 years or is it cancel when you want? How fast speed you need? Like 10 mb or 25mb? I'm trying to cancel Direct Tv next year and am looking at all options. Thought about Play Station Vue as well.

ODD's answer is correct, and the cheapest option I know of. If you know a friend or family member with a cable account, you can simply use their login info to watch ESPN and many other channels via Roku or Firestick. I watch ESPN by using my dad's login info. In return, he uses my Amazon prime account. We've tested it and we can watch ESPN online from two separate locations at the same time, but not a third. If he gives up cable, I'll go to SlingTV.

Many duke games are streamed on the ACC's website too, but the quality kind of sucks and you would need a web browser interface on your TV.

ODD do you have to commit to Sling for 2 years or is it cancel when you want? How fast speed you need? Like 10 mb or 25mb? I'm trying to cancel Direct Tv next year and am looking at all options. Thought about Play Station Vue as well.

Skee, there is no commitment. You can quit at anytime, and just be billed for the rest of the month (depending on when you started). You can add packages on which are 5.00 a month more (per package), and I've changed multiple times and had no problems. You don't even have to call at all, you're able to add packages, start or quit Sling...all online in your account. Just 'check or uncheck' services and hit the button. I don't regret dropping my Directv at all. And I can still get my 'TCM' channel by adding on the movie channels package for $5.00 a month...I'm old and I love my 'TCM'!!!.

Oh, I think there are two 'basic' Sling packages now. The 'Orange' (which includes ESPN---this is the basic package I have), and the 'Blue' which has other sports channels instead of ESPN, plus different channels. Each 'basic package' is 20 bucks or get them both for 35 (I think).. You can add 'genre' packages of multiple channels for 5 bucks each. Hope that helps. I'll leave a link to the site, if you're interested. You can try for free for 7 days to see if you like it.

Anyway, I've had great success with it so far, and I've had it for around a year. I can't say you'll like it, but I think it's a good service at a good price.

EDIT...Just noticed you asked about internet speed. I live in an area where the only internet I can get (except for satellite internet) is AT&T, and my speed is only 6mb (fastest I can get) and it works well for me...and that's with a wireless connection to my Roku player.

2nd EDIT...I The ESPN package comes with ESPN2 & 3, the ESPNU channel is included in an 'add on pack'.

https://www.sling.com/?cvosrc=drtv...._acq_001000000t_jun2017_picky30​​

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Skeelow22
If you know a friend or family member with a cable account, you can simply use their login info to watch ESPN and many other channels via Roku or Firestick. I watch ESPN by using my dad's login info. In return, he uses my Amazon prime account.
I cheat on my taxes and use the money to finance my excessive cable TV bill.

That's what I use. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
a jail broken fire stick is a one time fee of about $90. once you have it, there is an add-on called Mobdro and it has all the espn channels. No need to have a login for watch espn or pay a monthly fee. just another option.

OFC is down with Sling TV.

Sling%20TV%20OFC%20gif.gif

OFC

Sling!!
All of the games so far have been on Watch ESPN which is a separate app that you have access to when you sign up for sling. With sling you can also sign up for HB02GO. I signed up for that for about four months in the summer to watch game of thrones. As soon as it finished I cut it with no penalty too.

a jail broken fire stick is a one time fee of about $90. once you have it, there is an add-on called Mobdro and it has all the espn channels. No need to have a login for watch espn or pay a monthly fee. just another option.
Interesting. Did Roy tell you about this?

Reactions: GillJET
Sky, you think Sling would give us old farts a discount if the OFC endorsed their product? Of course, I'm not sure any product is worthy of that prestigious endorsement.:D

OFC

I think if enough of us use sling instead of a discount they would take over thr PTRF for us. That way the NCAA couldn't trace the funds back to us. I'll see what I can do. I talked to a customer service rep from sling once and may some pull with them. OFC have

I think if enough of us use sling instead of a discount they would take over thr PTRF for us. That way the NCAA couldn't trace the funds back to us. I'll see what I can do. I talked to a customer service rep from sling once and may some pull with them. OFC have

Oooh, a pay the refs fund from Sling TV...I like it Sky! We'll need some of that big ol' corporate money to compete with UNC's slush fund.

OFC

Skee, there is no commitment. You can quit at anytime, and just be billed for the rest of the month (depending on when you started). You can add packages on which are 5.00 a month more (per package), and I've changed multiple times and had no problems. You don't even have to call at all, you're able to add packages, start or quit Sling...all online in your account. Just 'check or uncheck' services and hit the button. I don't regret dropping my Directv at all. And I can still get my 'TCM' channel by adding on the movie channels package for $5.00 a month...I'm old and I love my 'TCM'!!!.

Oh, I think there are two 'basic' Sling packages now. The 'Orange' (which includes ESPN---this is the basic package I have), and the 'Blue' which has other sports channels instead of ESPN, plus different channels. Each 'basic package' is 20 bucks or get them both for 35 (I think).. You can add 'genre' packages of multiple channels for 5 bucks each. Hope that helps. I'll leave a link to the site, if you're interested. You can try for free for 7 days to see if you like it.

Anyway, I've had great success with it so far, and I've had it for around a year. I can't say you'll like it, but I think it's a good service at a good price.

EDIT...Just noticed you asked about internet speed. I live in an area where the only internet I can get (except for satellite internet) is AT&T, and my speed is only 6mb (fastest I can get) and it works well for me...and that's with a wireless connection to my Roku player.

2nd EDIT...I The ESPN package comes with ESPN2 & 3, the ESPNU channel is included in an 'add on pack'.

https://www.sling.com/?cvosrc=drtv...._acq_001000000t_jun2017_picky30​​

OFC

Awesome thanks on the info! I may try the trial for free here soon just to check it out. My DirecTv bill is about to have a jump for year 2 but I plan on getting out the contract the day I can. A $100 + is way too much for this day and age with all the options out there. Thanks buddy.

Own a virus scan (AVG?)? Batmanstream.net and firstrowsports.tv both are free but have a lot of ad's, I use for PPV events. Just click all the X's and closeout the pop-ups, refresh or use another link if the stream freezes.

Awesome thanks on the info! I may try the trial for free here soon just to check it out. My DirecTv bill is about to have a jump for year 2 but I plan on getting out the contract the day I can. A $100 + is way too much for this day and age with all the options out there. Thanks buddy.

That's good. Need to keep the dish and cable companies in check. They have become arrogant and over confident in their services.OFC

Slings junk ...espn and a free 7 day trial of direct tv now..after game cancel , til next game u gotta watch online...make new email and repeat. best part it’s .. free...u gotta have the tv subscription for ESPN.

Question about Sling TV...do you get local channels with that like ABC,NBC,CBS etc? Or how do you get those??

Glad to help, Skee!

OFC

Question about Sling TV...do you get local channels with that like ABC,NBC,CBS etc? Or how do you get those??

Koach, I don't think you can get all the locals, maybe Fox or NBC (in some areas). Streaming local channels is a problem because of local restrictions (or fees?)...not sure.
The best thing is to get a good antenna and catch them over the air imo.

OFC

Slings junk ...espn and a free 7 day trial of direct tv now..after game cancel , til next game u gotta watch online...make new email and repeat. best part it’s .. free...u gotta have the tv subscription for ESPN.

Different strokes for different folks. IMO it works pretty well and at a fair price...ymmv.

OFC

That's good. Need to keep the dish and cable companies in check. They have become arrogant and over confident in their services.OFC

You are right!
Their customer service is horrible having to go through so many people to get something done. It truly is a failing business and I think they try to push their current customers for as much $ as possible. They see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Now they have all this competition with streaming services and that's the best thing that could happen. Competition will push everybody to change their service or go out of business.

Why pay for 1 or 2 exhibition games? To stream at That ..but some folks got plenty money I reckon

I'm not sure what you're arguing, Ipsycho. This isn't just about 1 or 2 exhibition games, but Duke's entire schedule. You can get almost every one of Duke's games through ESPN programming...which you can get through Sling TV. And as for price, it's not free, but it seems reasonable enough to me. It also includes other channels for entertainment, not just sports.

I'm not endorsing this streaming service, just answered the op's question, and several other posters by offering up my personal experience with Sling. That doesn't mean it's the right fit for everyone.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I'm not sure what you're arguing, Ipsycho. This isn't just about 1 or 2 exhibition games, but Duke's entire schedule. You can get almost every one of Duke's games through ESPN programming...which you can get through Sling TV. And as for price, it's not free, but it seems reasonable enough to me. It also includes other channels for entertainment, not just sports.

I'm not endorsing this streaming service, just answered the op's question, and several other posters by offering up my personal experience with Sling. That doesn't mean it's the right fit for everyone.

OFC

eAIscfi.jpg

I pay for DirecTV, simply because I gotta have my DVR Services. I rarely watch games live... and even when I'm able to, I prefer not to watch it live because I hate waiting through commercials and other breaks in the game. I generally watch a full basketball game in less than an hour. It's probably over-priced, but I've heard the playback features through streaming services don't work as well - skipping and the inability to fast-forward, as a couple of examples. So I'm content for the time being.

OFC
I watched every single game last year with basic cable service ...Duke will be on tv 99% time, especially this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT