ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Slight correction: Catch has to be made behind the line. All depends on where Hagans was when he pulled it in.

Going to hunt for a replay tomorrow; I think the Bally games get uploaded through the ESPN+ service.
We'll look forward to your info. Regardless I still don't know if you make that call in that situation, it seems so borderline. Homecoming Home cooking in Atlanta. I would compare it to the Jeremy Roach nitpick foul call in the waning moments of the FF game vs UNC. Oh well I am just a Duke Football Diehard.

Couple other notes, and honest I will be done, at least til sundown today, lol: To think Duke almost pulled this comeback off was amazing with all the injuries; Linebacker Freeman and Def End Nelson we knew in advance. We learn from @ConorONeill in warm-ups RB Jaylen Coleman won't play. Suddenly wideout Jalon Calhoun is out (didn't catch a pass all day), the Bally TV bimbo announced the "upper body injury" at halftime. McIntyre goes down at OL.Heyward screws up!! He commits a truly dumb targeting penalty late first half. We lose Shaka 2nd half on ejection (THE CORRECT CALL), and 1st half of Cheaters game.Still, Duke almost won. Incredible.

Finally where and when was this game really lost?? Two trips deep into Jacket red zone 2nd half. Riley made a couple REALLY BAD THROWS: An interception on the five, and overthrew a wide open Jordan Moore down the middle. Only three points garnered from two trips into Jacket red zone. I still think Duke is the better team. Next play. OFC

Yeah I mean, it's just such a bang-bang call to make. Hagans' right foot is on the 20, left foot the 19, when secures the ball. I've got the screenshot of the NCAA rulebook in the following tweet -- my interpretation is the same as it was last night, that if the ball is caught at or behind the line of scrimmage, it's not OPI.

The problem I would have is *where* the call comes from. It doesn't come from the line judge who's on top of the play; it comes from the field judge, who's about 15-20 yards downfield.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yeah I mean, it's just such a bang-bang call to make. Hagans' right foot is on the 20, left foot the 19, when secures the ball. I've got the screenshot of the NCAA rulebook in the following tweet -- my interpretation is the same as it was last night, that if the ball is caught at or behind the line of scrimmage, it's not OPI.

The problem I would have is *where* the call comes from. It doesn't come from the line judge who's on top of the play; it comes from the field judge, who's about 15-20 yards downfield.
Screw job. Worse call against Duke football since the phantom defensive holding penalty at State in '88. Conor as I told you earlier, that cost us a bowl bid. State kicked a FG to end the game in a tie, and secure the PEACH BOWL BID. They only needed a tie to secure the bid, we needed a win. No OT in those days.

The Spurrier week-long suspension for calling it "the worse call in history of Duke football" is why college coaches generally hold their fire in the aftermath of screw job finishes to this very day.

I couldn't blame Spurrier after that game however, and didn't blame Elko for reaming an official on sidelines yesterday. Home Cookin' on Home Coming in Atlanta. Duke got jobbed. Hagens DID NOT catch the ball in a position downfield to warrant a game to sway one way or the other in that situation. Shame on those ACC Officials.

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Screw job. Worse call against Duke football since the phantom defensive holding penalty at State in '88. Conor as I told you earlier, that cost us a bowl bid. State kicked a FG to end the game in a tie, and secure the PEACH BOWL BID. They only needed a tie to secure the bid, we needed a win. No OT in those days.

The Spurrier week-long suspension for calling it "the worse call in history of Duke football" is why college coaches generally hold their fire in the aftermath of screw job finishes to this very day.

I couldn't blame Spurrier after that game however, and didn't blame Elko for reaming an official on sidelines yesterday. Home Cookin' on Home Coming in Atlanta. Duke got jobbed. Hagens DID NOT catch the ball in a position downfield to warrant a game to sway one way or the other in that situation. Shame on those ACC Officials.

OFC
I agree 100 percent

I will start looking into him and see if there's mutual interest.
Thanks, I was listening to the drive coming home today and they were talking with Mack Brown. He says the success all of the teams in North Carolina are having is a good thing and a lot of talent in the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Thanks, I was listening to the drive coming home today and they were taking with Mack Brown. He says the success all of the teams in North Carolina are having is a good thing and a lot of talent in the state.
No matter how good or bad things get for UNC, you can always count on Mack buttering up the high school coaches of the state. Not a criticism of him; just saying the man knows how to recruit the state.

Glad you're listening to Josh, too. I go on there with him about once every 3-4 weeks and we typically talk more Wake football than Duke football, vice versa in basketball season, but all bases usually get covered.

Wake has a heck of a Coach and I pull for them when they're not playing Duke
Speaking of Mack Brown, I pull for whoever is playing UNC. Yes unfortunately, 85-90% of the hs coaches in NC fall for Mack's gift of gab, also known as bs. He gushes false kindness to them, and establishes a first name basis.

The man can't coach a lick(glorified cheerleader),but top assts gravitate toward his bs, and develop the 4 and a few five stars slipping illegitimatelty under the admissions door. I will always love the moniker Steve Spurrier gave Mack, during Steve's Duke stint: "Mr. Football." Spurrier could and still does deliver some lovely jabs. Lmao....

OFC

Nice story and well explained. Clearly from the story perspective the catch was made in the neutral zone.Also, Elko is a straight shooter, no bs guy. I am confident he would have owned up to it if he felt it was the correct call.

OFC
Sorry to upset you, hart2chesson. I enjoy your passionate support of Duke football. I agree with Conor O'Neil's explanation of the offensive pass interference rule and that the receiver was straddling the line of scrimmage when the catch was made

I thought that it was offensive holding at the 14 or 15 well before the ball was thrown. Next time, I won't comment on your board about a play that influenced the outcome

Coach Elko is doing a wonderful job. I wish that Duke had won. It would have made the uupcoming game even more fun.

I've learned much more about Duke football in this thread than I've learned about UNC football at the UNC site

I thought that it was offensive holding at the 14 or 15 well before the ball was thrown.
Even in trying to make amends you slide in a dig, showing your true light blue colors.

"Offensive holding" against us on the play huh??? That controversial call has been discussed THREE DAYS now. You're the first to allege Duke committed "Offensive Holding" on the play.

Ged, you're not scoring any points on this board, and why do you wish to stick around?
As the late baseball Mgr Alvin Dark told a kid who peeped into the dugout once, "Take a hike son, Take a hike." (Back to THR).

OFC

Even in trying to make amends you slide in a dig, showing your true light blue colors.

"Offensive holding" against us on the play huh??? That controversial call has been discussed THREE DAYS now. You're the first to allege Duke committed "Offensive Holding" on the play.

Ged, you're not scoring any points on this board, and why do you wish to stick around?
As the late baseball Mgr Alvin Dark told a kid who peeped into the dugout once, "Take a hike son, Take a hike." (Back to THR).

OFC
HTC, I respectfully disagree. i have always appreciated GED’s comments, which are are largely unbiased and objective. As I always value yours.

BTW, I and 3 of my closest friends from Duke, along with our wives, are having a mini-reunion this weekend, the first time all 4 of us have been together in 44 years ( we all graduated in ‘75). Nothing could make it a finer weekend than to beat the TarHoles . 4 seat in Row V, 4 seats in Row W, on the 40 yard line on the duke side. Feel free to stop by and celebrate the win!

BTW, I and 3 of my closest friends from Duke, along with our wives, are having a mini-reunion this weekend, the first time all 4 of us have been together in 44 years ( we all graduated in ‘75). Nothing could make it a finer weekend than to beat the TarHoles . 4 seat in Row V, 4 seats in Row W, on the 40 yard line on the duke side. Feel free to stop by and celebrate the win!
It would be an awesome celebration for you guys if Duke can pull it off.

HTC, I respectfully disagree. i have always appreciated GED’s comments, which are are largely unbiased and objective. As I always value yours.
Jeffrey thank you for the compliment. I have no problem with you supporting a UNC fan on our board. I simply (as you say) "respectfully disagree." Enjoy the game!

OFC

Definitely a puncher's chance.

Some coach -- they blend together sometimes, apologies -- said recently that the key to turnover battle isn't so much winning it as it's winning by at least 2. I think the analytics show something like a 55-60% (completely guessing) chance of winning a game if you win TO margin by 1, but something like 70-75% chance if you by two (and higher with margin of plus-3, plus-4, etc.).

I tried to spell this out, but I think you can count on Duke's offense having some success. If they don't ... well, it'll be a long night. Because I'm not sure anybody on UNC's schedule is "stopping" them. It's about containing them, making them settle for field goals, and probably a degree of making them impatient.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT