ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Our work has just begun. There are a lot of scores to even. Let's start with Ga. Tech and then there's that pseudo-college down the road.

I'm feeling like at least 3 more wins is not out of the question.
Liftee absolutely! Ga. Tech stole one from us at home last year on a long pass with about a minute left. Like us, they were terrible but dare I say better coached. That's despite the fact they fired Coach Geoff Collins last week, and now have new leadership.

Turns out the move paid off, and the Yellow Jackets upset Pitt!! So a fire has been lit under their team. Let's hit the road, suck it up and pull out a W in Atlanta Saturday!! Then as you say it's that "pseudo- college down the road." Next week we can worry about the Cheats.

OFC

I’m glad we’re playing Tech after they’ve played 1 game under their new coach. Some of their emotional energy may have burned off, plus we get to see what differences may be implemented in terms of personnel, schemes and offensive philosophy. I think their win also ensures we won’t take them lightly and look past them to the next game. I’m feeling relatively confident going into the game.

Kansas worried about losing their head coach. When should we become concerned about Elko? Next year? The year after? I know it's very early, and we could lose all the rest of our games, but still......
OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
We've won one ACC game against what is probably one of the 3 worst teams in the league. I don't think we have to worry about losing Elko yet.

I worry that if he starts winning 8-9 games a year and still nobody is coming out to watch, he'll feel like he's maxed out. That would be a nice problem to have. Cutcliffe couldn't sustain that success.

A couple of notes on the injury front:

Tre Freeman (leg) and Anthony Nelson (lower body) will both be out for a couple of weeks, Elko said today.

Dorian Mausi didn't play against UVA and has been dealing with a back injury, but it sounds like they think he'll be back out there this week (at least, that's the thought right now).

A couple of notes on the injury front:

Tre Freeman (leg) and Anthony Nelson (lower body) will both be out for a couple of weeks, Elko said today.

Dorian Mausi didn't play against UVA and has been dealing with a back injury, but it sounds like they think he'll be back out there this week (at least, that's the thought right now).
Conor thanks! I listened to the presser live. Apparently also Jaylen Coleman will be ready to play. The way he limped off the field Saturday nite had me really worried!!

OFC

That's good news on Jaylen Coleman, Hart, but bad news about Anthony Nelson. His name was called a lot while he was in there Saturday.
Agreed Lift. Nelson was definitely very active before exiting Saturday nite. I hope Mausi can get his back improved to the point he can play consistently. He started the season extremely well at LB and was our leading tackler in one game I believe.

OFC

Kansas worried about losing their head coach. When should we become concerned about Elko? Next year? The year after? I know it's very early, and we could lose all the rest of our games, but still......
OFC
Will it's a valid concern always, but I would say just try to enjoy the moment. I am loving 4-1, and 1-0 in the ACC. OFC

Excellent article Conor. You asked really sound questions and really got their beat guy to open up.I especially liked you asking about the effect of last week's GT win over Pitt. Does it carry over, or basically was just a one shot deal after the Collins firing??

I am really concerned about their pass rush after reading your piece. Sounds like our OL is in for a tough battle in the trenches. Perhaps that's where Saturday's game will be won. Can Duke protect enough for our offense to move the football, and put say 30 points on the board?

We'll see how it plays out. Regardless I think the Kansas game on the road was an excellent measuring stick for a game like Saturday. I like Duke to win by at least a touchdown.

OFC

Definitely reads like a game that Duke will try/need to pound their running game again. Stay on schedule, avoid third-and-longs, get a combined 35-45 runs for Coleman/Waters/Leonard, and Jaquez Moore if needed.

Preview coming sometime this morning.

Definitely reads like a game that Duke will try/need to pound their running game again. Stay on schedule, avoid third-and-longs, get a combined 35-45 runs for Coleman/Waters/Leonard, and Jaquez Moore if needed.

Preview coming sometime this morning.
Good analysis and look forward to reading! Yes I would like Jaquez to get a few more reps!!

OFC

A lot of really inside analysis I truly enjoyed @ConorONeill .... For instance you touched on the status of Duke RB Jaylen Coleman- that's significant because I haven't seen any other media discuss his status for this week. I hope he's fine, he's a mainstay at RB in my opinion!

I do have confidence in Jaquez however, if Coleman is banged up. If we're running the ball adequately it should free us up to let Riley pass downfield, not just bubble screen passes Cut tried 90% of the time.

Hard to believe we've already exceeded overall wins and conference wins of last year in only five games! I like Duke by 7, and don't see the Jackets quite up for this game like Pitt last week.

OFC

We are lucky to be down only 7 at the half. Both of our lines are getting pushed around, we can’t cover their receivers, we’ve had some key penalties, and the playcalling has been tepid, to put it kindly. On top of that, the ESPN commentators are completely confused, as is their graphics crew (after a targeting call against Hayward, one offered that it was 4th down coming up). They need to have one fiery halftime speech by somebody….

Doesn’t look like there was much of a speech. 2 QB scrambles and a bubble screen. Is Cut calling in the plays?

I hate to complain about officiating because that's all cheater u fans do whether they win or lose but that bad call more than likely cost us the game and that official needs to be held accountable or at the least knows he blew the call OFC

I hate to complain about officiating because that's all cheater u fans do whether they win or lose but that bad call more than likely cost us the game and that official needs to be held accountable or at the least knows he blew the call OFC
Sky you are spot on, and even @ConorONeill agreed with your post. He's as professional and unbiased as they come.

Duke was hosed no question, and Conor had a good explanation: Riley was behind the line when he threw the ball so downfield blocking IS permitted.

Nonetheless Elko is my coach of the year: 4-2,1-1 and Duke had the ball about to score at end of both L's.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Sky you are spot on, and even @ConorONeill agreed with your post. He's as professional and unbiased as they come.

Duke was hosed no question, and Conor had a good explanation: Riley was behind the line when he threw the ball so downfield blocking IS permitted.

Nonetheless Elko is my coach of the year: 4-2,1-1 and Duke had the ball about to score at end of both L's.

OFC

We just have to be patient and let Coach Elko get his system in place. Next week is the game I really want. I hold grudges. I haven't forgot the vandalism and the whining from the cheater u head coach about how much it cost for the repairs. Takes a lot of arrogance to let your players have their way with the visitor lockeroom and then complain about what it cost to make repairs. mack brown is just as arrogant. Haven't forgot about their defensive lineman that came onto the field late and cleaned out our wide reciever when signals were still being called. To my recollection no penalty and the lineman's response was " I didn't see him." Yea I'm obsessed with that cheating university and I'm not gonna start about some of their arrogant fan base. I guess I need theropy. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
We just have to be patient and let Coach Elko get his system in place. Next week is the game I really want. I hold grudges. I haven't forgot the vandalism and the whining from the cheater u head coach about how much it cost for the repairs. Takes a lot of arrogance to let your players have their way with the visitor lockeroom and then complain about what it cost to make repairs. mack brown is just as arrogant. Haven't forgot about their defensive lineman that came onto the field late and cleaned out our wide reciever when signals were still being called. To my recollection no penalty and the lineman's response was " I didn't see him." Yea I'm obsessed with that cheating university and I'm not gonna start about some of their arrogant fan base. I guess I need theropy. OFC
Sky I need the therapy too when it comes to The Cheaters. I will never forget the nite of 2014. Yeah they walloped us at Wade but trashing our facilities, and complaining about cost was beyond ridiculous. They truly think they're an entitled bunch of @$$hats. GTHCGTH

Reactions: skysdad

OFC
Slight correction: Catch has to be made behind the line. All depends on where Hagans was when he pulled it in.

Going to hunt for a replay tomorrow; I think the Bally games get uploaded through the ESPN+ service.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT