ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

That’s absolutely tremendous news. I am really getting excited about next year. I know Spring practice is usually accompanied with lots of positive reports, surprise developments in some players, optimism about the upcoming season, etc., but I’m nonetheless anxious to see how it plays out this year. In particular, i won’t be surprised if there are some positional changes for our personnel.
Special teams coordinator is the most important coach. Most would say offensive or defensive coordinator , but special teams in the hands of a great coach has the greatest opportunity to sway results from a 4-8 record to 8-4

That’s absolutely tremendous news. I am really getting excited about next year. I know Spring practice is usually accompanied with lots of positive reports, surprise developments in some players, optimism about the upcoming season, etc., but I’m nonetheless anxious to see how it plays out this year. In particular, i won’t be surprised if there are some positional changes for our personnel.
Yea, except this year the positive reports emanating from spring practice will not be misleading fantasies. OFC

so me and my friends were having a roundtable debate about how to divvy up the 85 schollies. this is my take. what do you guys think?
special teams 3 kicker, punter, long snapper
offense 42 qb's 4, rb's 6, te's 5, ot 7, iol 10, wr 10
defense 40 de's 8, dt's 8, lb's 6, s/lb hybrid 4, cb's 7, s 7
my iol is both guards and centers
my s/lb is that oversized but fast safety everyone is using now for 4-2-5

Looks like 4 def backs in portal now. Looked down roster, and numbers look pretty good of young dbs. Two with probable good upsides are Jaylen Stinson, and Isaiah Fisher-Smith.

Stinson is a baller-couple KO returns I think for TDs, and lethal speed. Fisher-Smith is very athletic, blocking some punts so far at Duke. Does Jmarick Woods have a covid year left? OFC

okay i have no life. here are the kids still on the roster as of right now and their class as of right now
CB's
cameron bergerson 6'0'' 185 fr
tony davis 6'2'' 195 so
dylan merrell 6'1'' 175 fr
ken torain 6'3'' 180 jr
jeremiah lewis 6'1'' 190 jr
S
trent broadnax 6'1'' 190 fr
placido djungo-sungu 6'1'' 170 fr
isaiah fisher-smith 6'0'' 205 so
da'quan johnson 6'1'' 200 so
brandon johnson 5'11'' 210 fr
COMMITS
chandler rivers cb 5'11'' 175
kenzy paul db 6'1'' 193 ( i am thinking safety)
nathan vail s 6'2'' 195
terry moore db 5'11'' 185 ( i think rb where he was recruited BUT elko did mention db option in one interview)

we are really really really young BUT some of these kids were among our top recruits. we are 3 deep at every spot plus 1 to rotate. if you look at my dream scholly chart i had 7 each for cb and safety and thats where we are at. the other unknown is where these kids will be in 8 months now that we have a new strength and conditioning coach who has already started working with them. i would love to see all the safeties get to 200-220 lbs of pure muscle which given how young they all are i would think they could do in a year or two. can we add weight and develop speed/footwork at the same time? it will be interesting to see what the new staff does with these kids and who ends up where. all up for grabs right now

Last edited:
more info
WR's
malik bowen-sims 6'3'' 190 so
jalon calhoun 5'11'' 190 jr
sahmir hagains 5'10'' 190 fr
darrell harding 6'4'' 225 jr
eli pancol 6'3'' 200 jr
jontavis robertson 5'11'' 195 so
COMMITS
mekhi wall 5'10'' 165
jaden watkins 6'3'' 175

TE
nicky dalmolin 6'4'' 215 so
cole finney 6'7'' 250 fr
matt smith 6'5'' 235 so
COMMITS
jake taylor 6'5'' 220

so my thoughts are do we make darrell harding a te? he has the height and only needs 15-20 lbs and he is NFL sized. does cole finney become an OT? with that height and frame and i think he could easily put on the weight.
i think we need a te or two in the portal and the same for wr.

Last edited:
so me and my friends were having a roundtable debate about how to divvy up the 85 schollies. this is my take. what do you guys think?
special teams 3 kicker, punter, long snapper
offense 42 qb's 4, rb's 6, te's 5, ot 7, iol 10, wr 10
defense 40 de's 8, dt's 8, lb's 6, s/lb hybrid 4, cb's 7, s 7
my iol is both guards and centers
my s/lb is that oversized but fast safety everyone is using now for 4-2-5
Best question I've ever seen. I've asked many times, and never received a satisfactory answer. I would encourage lots of preferred walkons. My first guess would be copy whatever Alabama does. My second guess would be copy what new England does and multiply by 1.5. I would recruit fewer offensive linemen. Get them from the portal, junior college, or eat their way from other positions. I'm not wasting a scholarship on 3 years of development

Reactions: surfdevil
At Duke, I'm using two scholarships on kickers. I convince the team that we're winning four games a year by a field goal. I'm definitely using a scholarship on a kicker who can kick the ball through the endzone. No one gets injured on kickoff coverage

duke hiring adam cushing as o line coach
spent 11 years at northwestern as o line coach before leaving to be head coach at eastern illinois the last 3 years
think this is a really good hire
I will take a hire from The Big Ten for the trenches!!! OFC

names rolling in.
iashmael aristide as cb coach. formally at u of miami. worked with elko at texas a&m
zohn burden is being targeted as wr coach. at maryland now but formally from va tech.
thats the limit for field coaches. lots of support staff still to come

so here is the coaching staff
head coach mike elko
oc/qb's kevin johns
rb's trooper taylor
oline adam cushing
wr zohn burden (confirmed last night)
spec teams/te's patrick dougherty
dc/lb's robb smith
de's harland bower
dc/dline sean spencer
safties lyle hemphill
cb's ishmael aristide
there are various associate/co titles involved but these are their spots. lots of experience here

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT