ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Gunnar had fumbles on 2 of those 3 fumbles because of high snaps from center. Deon just petered out after his fresh/soph seasons, and obviously didnt work hard enough to get better. Josh Snead fumbled away for Duke deep in 4th in 2012 Belk Bowl as we were marching toward goal line for clinching score. Bearcats recovered, and we snatched defeat from jaws of victory against Cincinnati.

OFC

The first rule is make the other team beat you. Most teams playing us let us beat ourselves. Perhaps if the offense can hold onto the ball, and maybe move the chains, the defense won't have those horrible second half collapses that are so disturbing.

The first rule is make the other team beat you. Most teams playing us let us beat ourselves. Perhaps if the offense can hold onto the ball, and maybe move the chains, the defense won't have those horrible second half collapses that are so disturbing.
Lift I wholeheartedly agree. Duke had some games where defense stood up pretty well 2-3 qtrs last couple yrs despite numerous turnovers, 3 and outs from the offense.

Very best case scenario likely this fall as I look at it?? Gunnar Holmberg w/much better speed than Brice, does a better job moving the team in Cut's bland ball control offense. We move the chains, score enough to keep Northwestern/ACC games CLOSE with our defense, and have a chance to win in the 4th qtr. Probably about best we can hope for, AND we must do better job of scoring TD's and NOT FG's in red zone.

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
bang bang late night commit
OT brian parker from st xavier in cincy ohio commits
6'5'' 285 lbs
84 from 247 and 5.6 from rivals. solid pick up
duke, louisville, pitt cincy among offers

per hudl
40 yd dash 5.2
shuttle 4.81
vertical 28
bench 405
185 lb bench press reps 22
squat 425
dead lift 515

Last edited:
bang bang late night commit
OT brian parker from st xavier in cincy ohio commits
6'5'' 285 lbs
84 from 247 and 5.6 from rivals. solid pick up
duke, louisville, pitt cincy among offers

per hudl
40 yd dash 5.2
shuttle 4.81
vertical 28
bench 405
185 lb bench press reps 22
squat 425
dead lift 515
Duke can never have TOO MANY GUYS in trenches!! Sounds like upside of this kid is excellent!

Reactions: Liftee
we are recruiting surprisingly well for what we have shown on the field lately. I cant think these kids arent aware of our record but they are still picking us. we have another big weekend of recruits this week and it seems that our rb commit has become the '' recruit leader'' in the clubhouse. he is actively on facebook etc talking to targets and getting them pumped up about duke.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Are these guys who we might have trouble holding onto later in the recruiting season?
Wonder what the coaching staff is saying about who will be coaching these kids in 2022 and beyond?
Lift, 1st question- Mack Brown, Dave Doreen,etc have no problem with "poaching" Duke verbals. Its happened in the past and will happen again. Those two will get the most talented recruits first. If they fail to get more top of the line prospects they will try and coax Duke players to their squads.

Other coaches will say Cut "may not be coaching again hes going to be replaced." Nina King, our new AD, will have a decision on her hands per Cut's future if DC has another sorry year.

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
No, the first rule is to beat the other team. OFC

bang bang another good one
matt craycraft commits
6' 3'' 275 lb OL from dallas texas
had P5 offers from duke, maryland, colorado, miss st and arizona st
good G5 offers like smu, memphis, navy, air force and lots of others.
i would expect him to be an OG by size
Good deal surf!!! OL and OL depth in particular are perennial problems. OFC

Reactions: skysdad and Liftee
Good deal surf!!! OL and OL depth in particular are perennial problems. OFC
Glad we got one. But he is only 275, which means our crack physical development program will need to add at least 40 to 50 good lbs to him. As Surf has pointed out, our OL lines are woefully undersized. Maybe we could get a trainer from Penn State. or Michigan, or Michigan State, or whoever.

Glad we got one. But he is only 275, which means our crack physical development program will need to add at least 40 to 50 good lbs to him. As Surf has pointed out, our OL lines are woefully undersized. Maybe we could get a trainer from Penn State. or Michigan, or Michigan State, or whoever.

Take one from the local Gold's Gym right now.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Wish I could get more excited about our player selections for ACC preseason honors
in a college football publication earlier this week. As expected, NO BLUE DEVILS MADE 1ST TEAM.Duke had a combined number of ONLY FOUR make 2nd and 3rd teams.

The 2 MOST NOTABLE were RB Mateo Durant and LB Shaka Hayward. Keep those two healthy, and they CAN be impact players for us. Otherwise, its tough to get excited about selection of Porter Wilson and John Taylor. The two are the Duke punter and long snapper. They certainly get plenty of game reps.

OFC

Wish I could get more excited about our player selections for ACC preseason honors
in a college football publication earlier this week. As expected, NO BLUE DEVILS MADE 1ST TEAM.Duke had a combined number of ONLY FOUR make 2nd and 3rd teams.

The 2 MOST NOTABLE were RB Mateo Durant and LB Shaka Hayward. Keep those two healthy, and they CAN be impact players for us. Otherwise, its tough to get excited about selection of Porter Wilson and John Taylor. The two are the Duke punter and long snapper. They certainly get plenty of game reps.

OFC
It is sick, Hart. But if a player is not competently trained or coached how the heck can he be recognized for ACC pre-season honors? Cut and his coaching clones are not the answer. Hope like hell I am wrong. OFC

It is sick, Hart. But if a player is not competently trained or coached how the heck can he be recognized for ACC pre-season honors? Cut and his coaching clones are not the answer. Hope like hell I am wrong. OFC
Amen DI, and I too HOPE so BADLY WE ARE WRONG!

OFC

Last edited:
bang bang another really really good get
steve nahmais 6'3'' 290 og/c from atlanta commits
offers from auburn, fsu, ga tech, kentucky, mich st, nebraska and wake plus smaller schools

seems kids are really buying into coach frey.
by my count of grads, seniors, rjr and jr players i think we might be going for 5-7 oline guys. i think 3-4 interior and 2-3 ot guys wouldnt be a surprise.
just to remind everyone
OC jack walabaugh and will taylor both have had an extra senior year already
OG brian foley, kade parmelly are both grad transfers. will they want to stay more?
OT van lynn is a grad transfer, peace addo is a rjr who would not lose weight and with jacob monk there has been talk that if he has a good jr year he will declare

Last edited:
bang bang another really really good get
steve nahmais 6'3'' 290 og/c from atlanta commits
offers from auburn, fsu, ga tech, kentucky, mich st, nebraska and wake plus smaller schools

seems kids are really buying into coach frey.
by my count of grads, seniors, rjr and jr players i think we might be going for 5-7 oline guys. i think 3-4 interior and 2-3 ot guys wouldnt be a surprise.
just to remind everyone
OC jack walabaugh and will taylor both have had an extra senior year already
OG brian foley, kade parmelly are both grad transfers. will they want to stay more
OT van lynn is a grad transfer, peace addo is a rjr who would not lose weight and with jacob monk there has been talk that if he has a good jr year he will declare
Good we're stocking up! OFC

bang bang another good one
matt craycraft commits
6' 3'' 275 lb OL from dallas texas
had P5 offers from duke, maryland, colorado, miss st and arizona st
good G5 offers like smu, memphis, navy, air force and lots of others.
i would expect him to be an OG by size

This guy's father went to Duke so I guess that increases the likelihood that he'll stick with Duke. HIs highlight film is awesome, even accounting for the fact that he's pancaking guys 50 lbs. lighter than he is.

bang bang another one in the brotherhood
jeremiah hasley lb from gibsonia pa commits
6'3'' 225 lbs
came to a camp and blew everyone away with his ability
not rated by anyone yet but look at his hudl tape. quick quick quick.

FYI now rated by both rivals and espn as a 3 star

Last edited:
bang bang another one in the brotherhood
jeremiah hasley lb from gibsonia pa commits
6'3'' 225 lbs
came to a camp and blew everyone away with his ability
not rated by anyone yet but look at his hudl tape. quick quick quick.
Surf all reports I am hearing are good! Hope we got a steal and can develop the young man. Probably will hinge on what coach he will be playing for at Duke come '22..... OFC

yeah i am starting to wonder about his time running out. i have to say frey seems to be the best oline coach we had in a while (latina did an interview recently and said he was really good fyi). albert has it going on the dline. we are finally getting kids of the right sizes and body types out of high school on the lines for a change. all the recruits seem to love trooper. it seems like Cut is making good hires again. if he could get the weight/training table worked out and let the OC diversify the play calling some then that would answer all my complaints. all this being said if he doesnt win 5-6 this year then all bets are off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
I'd like to see better development among our linemen from signing through their redshirt year. I think the play calling would look a lot better with stronger line production.

i agree 100%. i am looking forward to seeing what frey can do in his second year as oline coach. this being said, his hands are tied by the poor ol recruiting that happened before he got here. frey having to play undersized monk and holman at ot when both are MUCH better og guys is a shame. can you imagine the center of our oline with monk at lg, walabaugh at center, holman at rg and barton and mcintyre as back ups? we would be just nasty and thats how they were recruited. the unfortunate truth is that our ot recruiting has been snake bitten for years.
robert kraeling gone due to injuries
liam smith gone due to back injury
jacob rimmer injuries
patrick leitten injuries
peace addo we know his issue
john gellote i have hope for him
ron carr still to small
caleb perez i like him also

hitting on 2 0r 3 out of our last 8 OT kids is not a good record. not freys issue but his problem he inherited

Last edited:
FYI seems like we might be getting a few or more commits in the next week or so. per twitter etc it seems like the coaches really did well with the last few recruiting weekends and lots of these kids left very impressed.

You guys are very much informed about Duke football than I am but it seems more promissing this year. I guess we wil know more next season or the season after that. It would be great to beat cheater u and dirty mack brown. Despised the crook when he was at cheater u in the 90's and more so now. Hoping we pull an upset and ruin his season. OFC

well just checked out the crystal ball board at 247 and duke had some go in today
qb henry belin
wr jaden watkins
de vincent anthony jr
athlete terry moore

Last edited:
bang bang next one in
terry moore 6'1'' 185lb athlete from little washington nc commits
another not rated kid who blew the coaches away in a camp
per his commitment article on 247 he is coming in as a safety
here are the numbers from his duke camp
4.45, 4.48 and 4.51 in his 3ea 40 runs
38.5'' and 40'' standing vert
10'10'' broad jump
515 squat
260 power clean

my take is this kid is a ''find''. he was ECU #1 kid for rb. i look forward to seeing him a year or two

Last edited:
At one tine, Cut was recruiting well in-state. We do need again to get some traction for sure. Thats why a game like Charlotte cannot be taken lightly!!!

OFC
Hiring Mack Brown augmented the CHEATS' in state recruiting to a point that Cut is really having a hard time competing for NC talent. OFC
I suspect that was a point of emphasis when Brown was hired.

sorry working at a job site today but since no one had filled in
bang bang
wr jaden watkins 6'3'' 175lb from ashville school commits
offers from illinois, maryland, nc state, pitt, rutgers, vandy, uva, va tech and wake from the P5 schools
lots of good G5 offers
really good in-state get

Getting guys from all over the East Coast. All sold 3 star athletes. The question remains, can he coach them up to 4 star level like he used to and the way BC/UVA/Wake do, or do they not develop to compete against the teams with 4 star recruits?
Liftee, thats the $2 mil a year Cut question. Player development!!!! OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT