ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

hmmm not sure about that hart. i just kinda question deon's drive to be better. mataeo sure stepped up and developed and took the limelight away from deon so the coaching seems to be working with some of the kids..
i agree our coaching has gone down but at the same time NOT fumbling is a personal demon the player needs to help fix. deon just never seemed to want to be the best to me
Valid arguments my friend. I know it got to the point where I wanted Mateo to be the #1 back. Seems like he would have a good series, and poof DJ was back on the field. I think there was too much rotation, and Mateo should have been on the field MORE.

Fumbling can be a "personal demon" as you say, but we've just had WAY TOO much of it last couple years.I would think a capable coach could HELP a player, or in our case a TEAM w/the necessary mental processes a player needs to conquer the inner battle. Heck, call a sports psychologist in to help if nothing else. Mental lapses are a big stumbling block to this program right now. In many respects, we're our own worst enemy... OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
Talking about turnovers, whether it demons, fundamentals, etc, something MUST BE DONE between now and 13 weeks from today-

OFC

Surf thanks for the info. I am just going to withhold opinion til I actually see the kid make the jump from high school to power 5 football. I kept waiting for RB Deon Jackson to blossom after his early career success,but didnt see it. Wonder though if that goes back to our inability to develop talent??? OFC
I am with you, Hart. The only offer he got from a major conference team other than Duke was Kentucky. So, I cannot be real excited about this signing...yet.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Hey, exactly DI....FOREVER HOPEFUL these 3 star kids we get work out...Seems like more of them do work out lately at UVA, Wake, etc....

OFC
The sad thing, Hart, is that we will never know how good these kids are or can be. They won't be properly prepared physically and will have to play in an unimaginative, predictable, and easy to defend Cut system.

so goduke.com put out a roster update today.
freshman and transfers were added. a few surprises on the list and some questions answered.
patrick leitten to te from ot. with his lighter weight probably a good move
monk and holman both still listed at ot. hmm we shall see. only 4 og listed on roster so......
barton to og from center. good move
incoming freshman andrew jones listed at c and mandela tobin at dt.
incoming freshman trent broadnex (our highest rated incoming wr) listed at safety
CENTER
jack walabaugh 6'4'' 305 r-sr
will taylor 6'3'' 305 r-sr
elijah wroten 6'3'' 330 r-so (wish he would lose 15-20)
addison penn 6'3'' 300 r-fr
andrew jones 6'4'' 260 frosh played this position some in high school. must add good weight down the road
GUARD
maurice mcintyre 6'2'' 330 r-jr another i wish would lose 15-20
graham barton 6'6'' 315 soph
brian foley 6'4'' 315 grad transfer
kade parmelly 6'3'' 305 grad transfer
TACKLE
jacob monk 6'3'' 310 jr
casey holman 6'4'' 290 r-jr
john gelotte 6'7'' 295 r-so
ron carr 6'5'' 275 r-so
calib perez 6'5'' 310 r-fr
peace addo 6'6'' 345 r-jr guess he will never get to a good playing weight
justin pickett 6'7'' 315 frosh probably get some playing time but i would think they save redshirt
carson van lynn 6'5'' 295 grad transfer with some acc starting experience

so 4 deep at ot and only 2 deep at og. really really need either gelotte or perez or lynn to step up and take a tackle spot in the fall so that either holman or monk can go inside in my mind. maybe wrotten? 5 deep at center is a lot but as we learned last year it can happen.

DT
ja'mion franklin 6'1'' 310 r-jr is he fully recovered from covid?
christian rorie 6'6'' 305 r-so
dewayne carter 6'3'' 300 r-so
aeneas peebles 6'2'' 280 soph when this kid gets a little more weight watch out
gary smith 6'2'' 320 soph
mandela tobin 6'4'' 270 frosh when he adds weight he will be real good
DE
zamari ellis 6'5'' 240 r-jr late position swap but has the frame
caleb oppan 6'4'' 235 r-so weight weight weight
r j oben 6'4'' 255 r-so
ahmad craig 6'5'' 250 r-so
michael reese 6'4'' 240 soph
aaron hall 6'4'' 240 frosh
trey brown 6'3'' 210 frosh going to be that ''rumph'' type pass rusher they hope

ben frye (6'3'' 255 grad) is listed as a dt/de player so we shall see

we are really young on the dline. i like the dt size just wish we could put 10 lbs of muscle on every de

okay so more of the goduke roster update
QB
gunnar holmberg 6'3'' 205 grad he gets first dibs
luca diamont 6'3'' 180 r-fr
jordan moore 6'2'' 180 frosh
riley leonard 6'4'' 205 frosh the future i think

all these guys are much more athletic than what we had last year and i look forward to many less to's

RB
mataeo durant 6'1'' 195 sr obvious starter
scott boylan 5'10 185 grad transfer meh we shall see if he gives us anything. just an unknown
jordan waters 6'1'' 210 r-so if only we would let him run outside of the tackles. sigh.
jaylen coleman 6'1'' 205 r-so if fully recovered this year from frosh injury might help
jaquez moore 5'11'' 195 frosh
trent davis 5'10'' 170 frosh

well we shall see. depends on play calling plus oline. mataeo is real good and if he has a good year an nfl draft pick

TE
patrick leitten 6'8'' 270 grad late career position move but as a blocking tight end maybe what cut has wanted
jake marwede 6'6'' 245 r-sr probable starter
matt smith 6'5'' 235 r-so
nicky dalmolin 6'4'' 215 so will he play up to potential
cole finney 6'7'' 250 r-fr

boy we got height in this group. will we use it?

WR
jake bobo 6'5'' 215 sr
jarett garner 6'3'' 210 r-jr fully recovered from acl this year?
darrell harding 6'4'' 225 jr
jalon calhoun 5'11'' jr
eli pancol 6'3'' 200 jr
malick bowen-sims 6'3'' 190 so
jontavis robertson 5'11'' 195 so
sahmir hagans 5'10'' 190 frosh

have to say i was surprised when i wrote this out how many big receivers we have. can we get them the ball this year? also look at the experience we have here. might be why trent broadnax is at safety this year. would be tough to get snaps for a year or two.

overall we have lots of experience on the offensive side of the ball except qb (but much better athletes for our system). can we maximize it? football is not complicated. better qb play plus better o-line blocking equals eating up the clock and keeping the d off the field. add less turnovers and this gets us more wins. hope they all step up

Last edited:
just an fyi
i went thru espn box scores and we had 19 interceptions and 18 lost fumbles last year (not counting fumbles we recovered). wretched qb play. qb's also accounted for 9 (50%) of our fumbles. we need just mediocre qb play to be a much better team this year. maybe why ''d'' players tangelo, jordan and waters transfered? frustration with the qb play the last 2 years? no faith cut will make it better?

just an fyi
i went thru espn box scores and we had 19 interceptions and 18 lost fumbles last year (not counting fumbles we recovered). wretched qb play. qb's also accounted for 9 (50%) of our fumbles. we need just mediocre qb play to be a much better team this year. maybe why ''d'' players tangelo, jordan and waters transfered? frustration with the qb play the last 2 years? no faith cut will make it better?
Surf, I think you hit the nail on the head for those players leaving. But, even though we may be better with mediocre QB play, if Cut's "system" does not change, then Duke becoming a good team is still a massive longshot. OFC

alright might as well finish this up
LB
shaka heyward 6'4'' 220 r-jr obvious leader
colby campbell 6'0'' 230 grad good pick up
sayyis stevens 6'3'' 225 r-so
dorian mausi 6'2'' 210 so needs 15-20 good lbs
ryan smith 6'2'' 210 so also needs to put on good weight
tre freeman 6'1'' 230 frosh
nick morris 6'3'' 225 frosh

so why do incoming freshman weigh more than kids in their second year in the program? where is rocky shelton? not listed on roster but also not in transfer portal.

CB
josh blackwell 6'0'' 175 grad
domonique long 6'2'' 195 grad
leonard johnson 6'1'' 190 r-sr
jeremiah lewis 6' 1'' 190 r-jr
ken torain 6'3'' 180 r-jr
cameron bergeron 6'0'' 185 frosh
joshua pickett 6'1'' 180 frosh
dylan merrell 6'1''175 frosh

really good size and experience here. like that every corner is 6' or over

S
j.marick woods 6'3'' 215 grad
lummie young 6'1'' 205 r-sr
cole carteaux 6'2'' 210 sr
nate thompson 6'3'' 200 r-jr
jalen alexander 5'11'' 160 jr
james hopson 6'0'' 190 soph
isaih fisher-smith 6'0'' soph
jaylin stinson 5'8'' 165 soph
da'quan johnson 6'1'' 200 soph
trent broadnax 6'1'' 190 frosh
placido djungu-sungu 6'1'' 170 frosh

another good blend of size and experience

we seem to have good experience and size behind the front line on defense. can we generate a good pass rush with our front 4 or will have to constantly blitz with a db or a lb to help out? lots of questions on the defensive side this year

Last edited:
PS
we have on the roster 18 grads and seniors plus 13 jr or rjr players for a total of 31 who could move on. not all will but wow. the biggest positions with these upperclassmen are safeties with 5, cb with 4, center and te with 2 each, og and ot with 3 each and finally wr with 4.
ol, dbs, te and wr seem to be the positions they need to go hardest at.

alright might as well finish this up
LB
shaka heyward 6'4'' 220 r-jr obvious leader
colby campbell 6'0'' 230 grad good pick up
sayyis stevens 6'3'' 225 r-so
dorian mausi 6'2'' 210 so needs 15-20 good lbs
ryan smith 6'2'' 210 so also needs to put on good weight
tre freeman 6'1'' 230 frosh
nick morris 6'3'' 225 frosh

so why do incoming freshman weigh more than kids in their second year in the program? where is rocky shelton? not listed on roster but also not in transfer portal.

CB
josh blackwell 6'0'' 175 grad
domonique long 6'2'' 195 grad
leonard johnson 6'1'' 190 r-sr
jeremiah lewis 6' 1'' 190 r-jr
ken torain 6'3'' 180 r-jr
cameron bergeron 6'0'' 185 frosh
joshua pickett 6'1'' 180 frosh
dylan merrell 6'1''175 frosh

really good size and experience here. like that every corner is 6' or over

S
j.marick woods 6'3'' 215 grad
lummie young 6'1'' 205 r-sr
cole carteaux 6'2'' 210 sr
nate thompson 6'3'' 200 r-jr
jalen alexander 5'11'' 160 jr
james hopson 6'0'' 190 soph
isaih fisher-smith 6'0'' soph
jaylin stinson 5'8'' 165 soph
da'quan johnson 6'1'' 200 soph
trent broadnax 6'1'' 190 frosh
placido djungu-sungu 6'1'' 170 frosh

another good blend of size and experience

we seem to have good experience and size behind the front line on defense. can we generate a good pass rush with our front 4 or will have to constantly blitz with a db or a lb to help out? lots of questions on the defensive side this year
Bad news, and @surfdevil
noticed this mystery last nite-

OFC

Fresh off the press at "Go Duke" comes the following Quote from Duke's Co-OC's, Faris and Boyette:
"We've always been balanced here at Duke with the run and the pass, and the beautiful
thing is this system goes back a long way, even pre-dating Coach Boyette and myself.
We've been working within it a long time."
So what does this all mean? To me, it means that our offense will be guided by two former Duke
players who have really known no system other than Cut's system and that we will be getting more of the same this year. It also means that the future of Duke Football looks bleak, really bleak. I guess the quote merely confirms what Surf, Hart, I , and others have suspected for a couple of years.

OFC

Fresh off the press at "Go Duke" comes the following Quote from Duke's Co-OC's, Faris and Boyette:
"We've always been balanced here at Duke with the run and the pass, and the beautiful
thing is this system goes back a long way, even pre-dating Coach Boyette and myself.
We've been working within it a long time."
So what does this all mean? To me, it means that our offense will be guided by two former Duke
players who have really known no system other than Cut's system and that we will be getting more of the same this year. It also means that the future of Duke Football looks bleak, really bleak. I guess the quote merely confirms what Surf, Hart, I , and others have suspected for a couple of years.

OFC
No doubt DI. Really sad thing is other ACC teams have figured out Duke's offensive game plan over the last several years. Its stale as month old bread. As DI mentioned Faris/Boyette have ZERO experience at OC, AND this idea of co-OC's is ridiculous. Look for more runs into the line and horizontal pass routes.....,Disgusting!!!!! OFC

Last edited:
So here's a question. I never ever root against Duke, in any sport, but if we win let's say 4 or fewer games this year, are we better off than squeezing out 6 and perhaps getting to a low level bowl, from the standpoint of the future of the program? 3 wins might force the hand of the powers that be whereas a minor bowl might allow them to stay the course for another year.

bang bang
TE max klare commits. 6' 4'' 225 lbs
plays at st xavier in cincy ohio
P5 offers from duke, ga tech and purdue
major mid-level like cincy, buffalo and liberty among other
3 star per rivals and 247
surf what grade was you give this recruiting class so far? OFC

So here's a question. I never ever root against Duke, in any sport, but if we win let's say 4 or fewer games this year, are we better off than squeezing out 6 and perhaps getting to a low level bowl, from the standpoint of the future of the program? 3 wins might force the hand of the powers that be whereas a minor bowl might allow them to stay the course for another year.
Lift you raise a VERY interesting point.I can NEVER pull against Duke between the lines, there's just no way. HOWEVER, at the end of the day, long term - a mediocre bowl and 6 wins buys an old, stubborn coach a stay of execution, and he's allowed to coach in '22, his final year of contract. Biggest fear is the master politician Cut coaxes a (horrors!!!!) contract extension. In short, best case scenario FOR CHANGE is 2 wins or less again this year. OFC

so i kinda probably am going easy on them right now but i will say b-. i like the cb and the de a lot. the te is interesting and comes out of a powerhouse program. the rb is small but per his 247 interview he is smart and has a chip on his shoulder due to people questioning him. also said he will be an early enrollie. are any of them starters as freshman i say no but if they stick around and develop then who knows.

i will also point out that northwestern went from 3-9 in 2019 to 7-2 in 2020. they did it with better qb play and by decreasing the turnovers by dropping them -1.2 a game. they went from 118th nationaly in turnovers in 2019 to 33rd last year. sounds like us this year we hope.

so i kinda probably am going easy on them right now but i will say b-. i like the cb and the de a lot. the te is interesting and comes out of a powerhouse program. the rb is small but per his 247 interview he is smart and has a chip on his shoulder due to people questioning him. also said he will be an early enrollie. are any of them starters as freshman i say no but if they stick around and develop then who knows.
Thanks. I really trust your intake on Duke football. While Duke basketball has been the main focus for years it's refreshing to have someone who is so loyal to Duke football. I used to go to a lot if games in the 70's and early 80's. Remember how excited a Duke friend and I heard on thrpe radio that .be Bennett had committed to Duke. Miss those days. Wish I could still go to some football games butvgoing from parking to the stadium has become difficult for me in both basketball and football even with the handicap parking. You and some other football guys on this board really helps me keep up. Grateful for the football thread. OFC

fyi per 247 it seems shelton is not in the transfer portal but not playing for other reasons. as of right now he is expected back the following year

i will also point out that northwestern went from 3-9 in 2019 to 7-2 in 2020. they did it with better qb play and by decreasing the turnovers by dropping them -1.2 a game. they went from 118th nationaly in turnovers in 2019 to 33rd last year. sounds like us this year we hope.
Agreed, Surf, but we are much worse than Northwestern was. Over the last 2 years, we had 67 turnovers, which was 19 more than the next worst team. Also, during that period, on average, we turned the ball over once every 5 plays, or 20.4% of the time. I do not see us having the quality of the Northwestern coaching staff. Faris, as new Co-OC, will be coaching QB's for the first time, after 7 years of coaching wide receivers and tight ends. Why does Cut promote a totally inexperienced coach to do something he has never done before rather than going out onto the market to find an experienced OC/QB coach? My guess is that he refuses to deviate from his predictable system and does not want an OC with different (and possibly better) Ideas. OFC

They have a much better coach. OFC

Notice NW did their remarkable turnaround in ONE SEASON per turnovers. Inexplicably we've been bitten by the turnover bug two consecutive years. Goes back to teaching, leadership (or lack of same) from top. OFC

Agreed, Surf, but we are much worse than Northwestern was. Over the last 2 years, we had 67 turnovers, which was 19 more than the next worst team. Also, during that period, on average, we turned the ball over once every 5 plays, or 20.4% of the time. I do not see us having the quality of the Northwestern coaching staff. Faris, as new Co-OC, will be coaching QB's for the first time, after 7 years of coaching wide receivers and tight ends. Why does Cut promote a totally inexperienced coach to do something he has never done before rather than going out onto the market to find an experienced OC/QB coach? My guess is that he refuses to deviate from his predictable system and does not want an OC with different (and possibly better) Ideas. OFC
BINGO!!!! Cut does not want to risk being upstaged by an assistant. Hire a Spurrier type with his own OC playbook and let him run his own show from upstairs????!!! Not happening with the "great qb whisperer." OFC

Speaking of Northwestern, Pat Fitzgerald's not leaving anytime soon. Hes really established Northwestern Football. Duke needs a coach like this-

OFC

wow per college football player stats we had the number one and two players IN THE NATION for fumbles lost last year. brice number one with 6 lost fumbles and deon second with 5. also were 126th in the nation with 1.7 interceptions per game, only maryland was worse at 1.8. (no stats on 3 small school teams)

Last edited:
Yes Brice was a human turnover machine. I'm surprised and disappointed with Deon. I remember we lost to Cincinnati in a bowl due to a bad late fumble. Doesn't seem our running backs learn how to hold onto the ball.

Yes Brice was a human turnover machine. I'm surprised and disappointed with Deon. I remember we lost to Cincinnati in a bowl due to a bad late fumble. Doesn't seem our running backs learn how to hold onto the ball.
going to have to respectfully disagree. went back to the espn box scores for last year and the ONLY rb that lost a fumble last year was ''hands of stone'' deon. the wide receivers had 4 fumbles, gunnar had 3 and 2 on kick returns. i had big dreams for deon after his early years but man he lost it. think if only one kid has ''fumblitis'' that is more on him not rising to the challenge since no other running back had that issue.

I'm actually happy to be proven wrong. I still do remember that costly Bowl fumble. 3 fumbles by Gunnar is a bad look for a guy who hardly played.

just an fyi. liftee got me curious so i went back to 2019 to check fumbles. no surprise but quenton harris led the team with 7 fumbles lost. mataeo was next with 3 lost then deon with 2 lost. 2 qualifiers... deon had 2 more fumbles that were recovered and mataeo came back the next year and had none showing growth.

also of the 4 fumbles by wr in 2020 two of them were by damond phillya johnson who transfered this year so 50% of their fumbles gone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT