ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Duke is favored by 7.5 in the opener against Charlotte. Covered easily last year, a 53-19 Duke victory
I am not surprised in the least the line is that low. The projection underscores how far Duke has fallen in recent years. Its Charlotte's 1st EVER ACC HOME game, and the projected sell-out crowd would EMBRACE a Charlotte upset. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Thank you. I try to avoid Charlotte, but with the help of Google, I now know essentially where it is. It does look nice. Small and packed is a good combination for stadiums

Reactions: hart2chesson
Thank you. I try to avoid Charlotte, but with the help of Google, I now know essentially where it is. It does look nice. Small and packed is a good combination for stadiums
ged it is "a good combination" and unfortunately its a scenario we've been unable to achieve regularly. By Power-5 standards at least,we're considered small at under 40,000. Wallace Wade is typically maybe half that full unless we're playing NC State or UNC. I would rather see us playing ECU and Appalachian at home than some of the smaller in-state schools.Those fan bases travel well also.

OFC

ged it is "a good combination" and unfortunately its a scenario we've been unable to achieve regularly. By Power-5 standards at least,we're considered small at under 40,000. Wallace Wade is typically maybe half that full unless we're playing NC State or UNC. I would rather see us playing ECU and Appalachian at home than some of the smaller in-state schools.Those fan bases travel well also.

OFC
Not to mention the fact that Duke derives virtually no help in preparing for our conference schedule from playing smaller in-state schools like NCCU. In fact, Duke loses a lot of money when it schedules those schools which could be earned by filling those dates with schools which are on the same or higher competitive level.

I assume that the game vs. NCCU is not only for an automatic win, but also to fulfill a commitment by the administration to partner with a Durham traditionally black institution.

bang bang
wr/db savion riley commits
6'2'' 190lbs
offers from wake, maryland, memphis, tulane, navy, air force and others
this another not yet rated kid who came to camp a few weeks ago and impressed the staff
just another highly athletic kid

stay tuned this has a chance to be a good weekend for us if it all breaks right

Reactions: Devilinside
Not to mention the fact that Duke derives virtually no help in preparing for our conference schedule from playing smaller in-state schools like NCCU. In fact, Duke loses a lot of money when it schedules those schools which could be earned by filling those dates with schools which are on the same or higher competitive level.
Very Sound Point DI!!!! OFC

going to have to question this in my mind. duke got two of our better commits from durham last year and looks like we are getting one more from durham in a few weeks. i think it is because duke is playing nccu and reaching out to the durham community that this is happening. just my opinion.

Last edited:
going to have to question this in my mind. duke got two of our better commits from durham last year and looks like we are getting one more from durham in a few weeks. i think it is because duke is playing nccu and reaching out to the durham community that this is happening. just my opinion.
Surf, you might be right about that, but UNCheat has consistently out-recruited Duke in the Durham area over the years without playing NCCU. OFC

this is a ''discussion'' that really cant be won. most popular public state university in a great college town vs small private elite school that was in a city that was down for decades but is now back and thriving. to me the fact that we are starting to get kids from durham schools is a sign that peoples perceptions are changing

Reactions: Liftee
just delving into the schedules
unc the school everybody keeps comparing us to plays woffard and georgia state this year. yeah THOSE help
clemson plays south carolina st and uconn
alabama plays mercer, so mis and new mexico state
ncsu plays furman and la tech.
all teams play a few winnable game a year. northwetern is a fine out of conference game for us. we should play them every other year. rotate them with say stanford or vandy and i would be happy. i think a rotating game between army, air force and navy would also be great every year. then a winnable team/game plus nccu and i am happy. i personally like the ''bull city classic'' and think it is helping our image

Last edited:
just delving into the schedules
unc the school everybody keeps comparing us to plays woffard an georgia state this year. yeah THOSE help
clemson plays furman and la tech.
alabama plays mercer, so mis and new mexico state
ncsu plays furman and la tech.
all teams play a few winnable game a year. northwetern is a fine out of conference game for us. we should play them every other year. rotate them with say stanford or vandy and i would be happy. i think a rotating game between army, air force and navy would also be great every year. then a winnable team/game plus nccu and i am happy. i personally like the ''bull city classic'' and think it is helping our image
Good points, but NCCU is not capable of beating any of the teams you named. I just cannot get used to politicizing our schedule, especially when doing so does not help Duke in preparing for real games. I do not think that appeasing a local community is a worthwhile endeavor for a football program. Since 2015 Duke has enrolled exactly 2 Durham area players. One of them had only 1 offer from a bigger school, that being Wake.

Last edited:
Reactions: hpnole
A sure win with game experience for the deep reserves is nice. Ideally, I think, the game would be played in the middle of the season allowing the regulars a week of rest , and rewarding the reserves with game action

Reactions: surfdevil
bang bang carter wyatt lb 6'2'' 215 lbs from shallotte nc commits
rated at 84 on 247
P5 offers from duke, ga tech and syracuse
every good G5 school in south offered. app, ecu, coastal, liberty, odu, army, navy, buffalo plus many more
also had offers from harvard and yale so....
guess we shall see if he is an acc level lb

we have now gotten 14 commits. i think we go for about 10 more.
this is my thoughts/count
1 ea qb check
2 ea rb one in house
3 ea wr one in house
2 ea te one in house
2 ea ot none yet
3 ea interior line check
1 ea dt none
2 ea de one in house
2 ea lb check
3 ea safties two in house
3 ea cb one in house
if at the end of the season we need more then i think we look at the portal again

so i just read an interesting article on the evolution of nfl ''mike'' lbs. they no longer want hulking murderers like ray lewis. the new middle lb or strong side lb is about speed and the ability to tackle as well as pass defend. here are some of the top modern nfl guys
eric kendricks 6' 232lbs 4.61 40
lavonte david 6'1'' 233 lbs 4.65 40
devin bush 6' 233 lbs 4.65 40
roquan smith 6'1'' 236 lbs 4.51 40
fred warner 6'3'' 236 lbs 4.64 40
devin white 6' 237 lbs 4.42 40
bobby wagner 6' 240 lbs 4.46 40
shorter, lighter but much quicker seems to be the way right now

Last edited:
so i just read an interesting article on the evolution of nfl ''mike'' lbs. they no longer want hulking murderers like ray lewis. the new middle lb or strong side lb is about speed and the ability to tackle as well as pass defend. here are some of the top modern guys
eric kendricks 6' 232lbs 4.61 40
lavonte david 6'1'' 233 lbs 4.65 40
devin bush 6' 233 lbs 4.65 40
roquan smith 6'1'' 236 lbs 4.51 40
fred warner 6'3'' 236 lbs 4.64 40
devin white 6' 237 lbs 4.42 40
bobby wagner 6' 240 lbs 4.46 40
shorter, lighter but much quicker seems to be the way right now
So, how many of those guys do we have a chance of getting?

Not a big surprise that Gunnar Holmberg was ranked 125th out of 130 FBS QB's projected to start this year. I thought our head coach was a QB Whisperer. Every ACC team plus Charlotte are ranked ahead of Duke. That Duke could not attract a better QB than the many nothing teams on the list is scary to say the least.

OFC

I have never understood why Cut could not recruit a top QB, especially after Daniel Jones made it big. I guess QBs want to play in front of a big crowd with a solid offensive line and neither can be guaranteed at Duke.

Not a big surprise that Gunnar Holmberg was ranked 125th out of 130 FBS QB's projected to start this year. I thought our head coach was a QB Whisperer. Every ACC team plus Charlotte are ranked ahead of Duke. That Duke could not attract a better QB than the many nothing teams on the list is scary to say the least.

OFC
I have never understood why Cut could not recruit a top QB, especially after Daniel Jones made it big. I guess QBs want to play in front of a big crowd with a solid offensive line and neither can be guaranteed at Duke.
Both you guys make points that are EXTREMELY TRUE!!!! OFC

Good points, but NCCU is not capable of beating any of the teams you named. I just cannot get used to politicizing our schedule, especially when doing so does not help Duke in preparing for real games. I do not think that appeasing a local community is a worthwhile endeavor for a football program. Since 2015 Duke has enrolled exactly 2 Durham area players. One of them had only 1 offer from a bigger school, that being Wake.
I agree, Duke has no
biz playing NCCU for any reason. ECU or APP st. should be on the schedule every year, if nothing else , they would draw a good crowd.

Again, I thought Cut did a good job with QB's who were not highly rated his first 10 years. Then, there has been a decline since Jones left, just like there's been a decline in the play calling and in my opinion the enthusiasm of the team. We just recently started having these debacles of giving up 50+ points when our team gave up. For some reason Cut has lost the mojo (no other way to put it). He may not realize it and nobody will tell him which is what happens when you surround yourself with your own disciples who owe him their jobs.

Going back to 2006, the only QB's who could be labelled "good" were Sean Renfree (4*) and Thad Lewis. After them and excepting Daniel Jones, we suffered consistently at QB. Quentin Harris could not have started for any other team in the ACC. Connette had the wisdom to transfer. I am sure that Hart might be able to add a few more forgettable names.

OFC

I may be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, but considering that Cut had very few decent QB recruits, I thought he got what he could out of them. Devil you proved my point about Cut not being able to attract decently recruited QB's although Diamont and Holmberg might be the highest ranked QBs since Lewis.

Then there's the "almost got" ones, Sears and Surratt.

I may be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, but considering that Cut had very few decent QB recruits, I thought he got what he could out of them. Devil you proved my point about Cut not being able to attract decently recruited QB's although Diamont and Holmberg might be the highest ranked QBs since Lewis.

Then there's the "almost got" ones, Sears and Surratt.
The almost "got ones" were "almost "got ones" for a reason. Why come here?

OFC

Going back to 2006, the only QB's who could be labelled "good" were Sean Renfree (4*) and Thad Lewis. After them and excepting Daniel Jones, we suffered consistently at QB. Quentin Harris could not have started for any other team in the ACC. Connette had the wisdom to transfer. I am sure that Hart might be able to add a few more forgettable names.

OFC
Oh yeah DI, lets see Bobby Campbell comes to mind in the Goldsmith era after Spence Fischer graduated. (He was switched to special teams).Add more forgettable names like Mike Schneider, Joe Pickens, Chris Dapolito, Zack Asak,and I am sure I could think of a few more! Hated Connette leaving. He definitely helped us. At first he was just a runner I thought, but he proved he could throw the ball too! OFC

Oh yeah DI, lets see Bobby Campbell comes to mind in the Goldsmith era after Spence Fischer graduated. (He was switched to special teams).Add more forgettable names like Mike Schneider, Joe Pickens, Chris Dapolito, Zack Asak,and I am sure I could think of a few more! Hated Connette leaving. He definitely helped us. At first he was just a runner I thought, but he proved he could throw the ball too! OFC
Thomas Sirk had one pretty good season.

True. He did. Does not really change the ultimate conclusion though.
I liked Sirk. Tough kid. Tough luck w/his multiple achilles tears. Led us to our 1st bowl VICTORY in 50+ years with the win over Indiana in Pinstripe Bowl. Anthony Boone fell short of being a great qb, but did run the show when we won the Coastal in '13.

However, no DI. It does not negate your narrative.For all the hype Cut gets about coaching the Mannings, its really amazing the great "qb whisperer" Cut hasnt been able to garner a Ben Bennett type for instance. OFC

ESPN predicts Duke at 3 - 9 with no ACC wins. Favored only over Charlotte, NC A & T, and Kansas. Seems spot on to me, except I would be surprised with a win vs Kansas. Duke burdened by a QB with no meaningful experience, a porous and usually overworked defense, unpredictable offensive line play, and (oh, I almost forgot) a stagnant and predictable offensive scheme. But I am an optimist - wait til next year!!

OFC

ESPN predicts Duke at 3 - 9 with no ACC wins. Favored only over Charlotte, NC A & T, and Kansas. Seems spot on to me, except I would be surprised with a win vs Kansas. Duke burdened by a QB with no meaningful experience, a porous and usually overworked defense, unpredictable offensive line play, and (oh, I almost forgot) a stagnant and predictable offensive scheme. But I am an optimist - wait til next year!!

OFC

Also just noticed this morning the line from Vegas has dropped Duke from a 7.5 favorite at Charlotte to 7, and 6.5 from some handicappers. Not much faith from the college fb world right now in the Blue Devils. Understandably so. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT