ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Well there he goes again. Cut just claimed that this team has "the most balance and competition" of any team he has had in the last 14 years, based probably on the fact that Duke is losing almost 1/2 of last year's starters. Hart, is a reality check needed again?

OFC

• Haha
Reactions: hart2chesson
Well there he goes again. Cut just claimed that this team has "the most balance and competition" of any team he has had in the last 14 years, based probably on the fact that Duke is losing almost 1/2 of last year's starters. Hart, is a reality check needed again?

OFC

OFC
Kinda like a coach saying , we'll be exciting to watch.

There is a bigger issue going on, which is the possible collapse of the Big 12. There could be another realignment which will make the ACC want to reach out to bigger state schools at the expense of the Dukes and Wakes of the world.

Will Duke keep up and take football success on the field and in the stadium seriously?

There is a bigger issue going on, which is the possible collapse of the Big 12. There could be another realignment which will make the ACC want to reach out to bigger state schools at the expense of the Dukes and Wakes of the world.

Will Duke keep up and take football success on the field and in the stadium seriously?
II would not be real worried about that. I am pretty sure that the ACC could not exclude Duke Legally, any more than it could exclude BC, Wake, Pitt, and other smaller private schools. Moreover, The Duke/UNC rivalry earns way too much money for the conference. Also, there are not a whole lot of big foortball schools in the East who are not already fixed in a conference. Not worried about it one bit.

OFC

OFC
Pure ad nauseum from Cut DI. Unfortunately, this has turned into pretty much an annual rite of preseason for him. "We've got more depth than any Duke team I've had," "Its the most talented group," "This group has more speed..."
and so on, and so on.

Well the fun's over Cut, your good ol' boy in the AD Chair is no more. Its Nina King, and I think she will want to leave her footprint on a turnaround in Duke Football. This year, its put up or shut up coach. We're tired of losing#!!! OFC

Good points, but NCCU is not capable of beating any of the teams you named. I just cannot get used to politicizing our schedule, especially when doing so does not help Duke in preparing for real games. I do not think that appeasing a local community is a worthwhile endeavor for a football program. Since 2015 Duke has enrolled exactly 2 Durham area players. One of them had only 1 offer from a bigger school, that being Wake.
i dont want to get into a long debate over this but we signed two from durham last year. both were among our earliest commits. you are right freeman only had a wake offer besides us but hall had other offers from arizona st, syracuse, uva and va tech. thats more than 1.
i only broach this because we might be getting another durham kid soon.

Reactions: geddoughton23
bang bang vincent anthony 6'5'' 240 DE from durham commits
P5 offers from ga tech, nc state, ole miss and indiana plus high academic like harvard, howard and army
unrated on any board yet BUT has been invited to the All-America game after getting the ''alpha dog'' award as BEST PLAYER at the FBU TOP GUN showcase in florida a few weeks ago. he had been a silent commit for a while but there was a lot of nervous energy because some big dogs like michigan, oregon and louisville all reached out to try and sway him in the last few weeks.
really big get but albert will have to hold on to him.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I believe that I read on this board that Duke is under the scholarship limit. Many schools are going with small classes this year due to the free covid year pushing them way over the scholarships limit. Sounds like a recipe for a top 35 class

bang bang vincent anthony 6'5'' 240 DE from durham commits
P5 offers from ga tech, nc state, ole miss and indiana plus high academic like harvard, howard and army
unrated on any board yet BUT has been invited to the All-America game after getting the ''alpha dog'' award as BEST PLAYER at the FBU TOP GUN showcase in florida a few weeks ago. he had been a silent commit for a while but there was a lot of nervous energy because some big dogs like michigan, oregon and louisville all reached out to try and sway him in the last few weeks.
really big get but albert will have to hold on to him.

You mentioned an offer from State. That scares me the most. Doeren seems to make a living poaching our recruits. State won't back down.

OFC

Thanks, Hart. It appears that it is now down to South Carolina and Va Tech.
So typical.... I think we get a lot of our offers in early, and they're merely insurance policies for the better players until something better comes along.

However, the even larger issue is the fact this is an area kid.The fact we cannot land the better ones symbolizes the total free fall of the program since '15, and the sorry product we put on the field. OFC

So typical.... I think we get a lot of our offers in early, and they're merely insurance policies for the better players until something better comes along.

However, the even larger issue is the fact this is an area kid. The fact we cannot land the better ones symbolizes the total free fall of the program since '15, and the sorry product we put on the field. OFC
Evidently, Duke's scheduling of NCCU and other handouts to the Durham community were not very important to this kid.

OFC

• Haha
because every kid from raleigh goes to state and every kid from chapel hill goes to unc. oh wait, they dont. yes he is from durham but if you could be bothered to check he plays for a school in virginia hence the va tech love. last year 9 of the top 25 in state recruits went out of state. guess we should let every coach go. i guess that 1 game out of 12 that we keep playing against a fellow durham school is single handedly holding us out of the national playoffs. i surrender to the mob

Last edited:
thank god K is retiring. the reason we havent won a title lately is because he has powers like elon, central arkansas, gardner-webb, charleston southern, winthrop, woffard and that noted powerhouse brown on the schedule in just the last two years. yes i am being snarky. sorry

Last edited:
Scheduling cupcakes is smart. The Miami Hurricanes did it effectively in the Big East. They would schedule Temple before the showdown with Florida State, then an Open Date etc

Reactions: surfdevil
thank god K is retiring. the reason we havent won a title lately is because he has powers like elon, central arkansas, gardner-webb, charleston southern, winthrop, woffard and that noted powerhouse brown on the schedule in just the last two years. yes i am being snarky. sorry
Sorry, Surf, NCCU cannot compete in football with a single one of the schools you named. I do not mind scheduling non-powerhouses, just the one we know we are going to beat by 40 or 50 points every time. You and I are on the same page 99% of the time. But scheduling a really sorry football school for no other reason than to make the city of Durham happy just makes no sense to me. Durham benefits way more from Duke's presence, than Duke does from being located in Durham. That is just the way it is, so snark on, Bro'.

OFC

Sorry, Surf, NCCU cannot compete in football with a single one of the schools you named. I do not mind scheduling non-powerhouses, just the one we know we are going to beat by 40 or 50 points every time. You and I are on the same page 99% of the time. But scheduling a really sorry football school for no other reason than to make the city of Durham happy just makes no sense to me. Durham benefits way more from Duke's presence, than Duke does from being located in Durham. That is just the way it is, so snark on, Bro'.

OFC
As long as Cut is at Duke he'll keep those early season cupcakes coming.The man is running scared and should be. As I have said before, Duke should schedule home and home every year at least w/APP ST or ECU. Have one at home, one on road. We would learn more about our team early on, AND it would definitely put more butts in seats!

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
You are so right, Hart. I remember that before Cut became entrenched here, we played Richmond a couple of times, and lost at least one of them. App State would be great. But NC A&T, not so much. Western Carolina would be OK, as would Wofford, ETSU, William & Mary, and even Richmond again.

OFC

You are so right, Hart. I remember that before Cut became entrenched here, we played Richmond a couple of times, and lost at least one of them. App State would be great. But NC A&T, not so much. Western Carolina would be OK, as would Wofford, ETSU, William & Mary, and even Richmond again.

OFC
DI I so remember. I was at that Richmond loss. Suddenly we don't see the Spiders on the schedule any longer. Those ultra-lightweights you mentioned in Central and A&T simply will not pay dividends for program development long-term or early season enthusiasm. OFC

Ouch. I'm still looking for somebody who said something nice about Duke in that article. I don't think I'm going to find it.

Wonder if the administration (a) doesn't care; (b) doesn't want to spend money on two coaches; or (c) cares less about the performance on the field and more about allowing Cut to leave on his own terms. If (c), the next guy REALLY is going to have his work cut out for him. Unless by that time Duke is in the Big East.

Ouch. I'm still looking for somebody who said something nice about Duke in that article. I don't think I'm going to find it.

Wonder if the administration (a) doesn't care; (b) doesn't want to spend money on two coaches; or (c) cares less about the performance on the field and more about allowing Cut to leave on his own terms. If (c), the next guy REALLY is going to have his work cut out for him. Unless by that time Duke is in the Big East.
Agreed Liftee, the longer Cut stays, the further Duke football gets run into the ground I am afraid. I sure as heck hope I am wrong and we turn it around this year. OFC

Duke not good enough for Big East Football. More likely Duke could become a mediocre Ivy League team.

OFC

Duke not good enough for Big East Football. More likely Duke could become a mediocre Ivy League team.

OFC
Its a valid point DI in sense we could end up like say, a Villanova type-basketball school in purest sense. With all the talk of Power 5 realignment(for instance the ACC merging with the SEC) , where in heaven's name would it leave Duke? I mean recruiting iis bad enough as it is......Yeah, lets get Georgia, 'Bama on the schedule....SMH......

OFC

GUYS, sncerest regrets I cannot come on here and be a sunshine pumper with David Cutcliffe running the show....I pray we turn it around this year, but right now I am seriously worried about Charlotte. 27 days away... OFC

GUYS, sncerest regrets I cannot come on here and be a sunshine pumper with David Cutcliffe running the show....I pray we turn it around this year, but right now I am seriously worried about Charlotte. 27 days away... OFC
Hart, you are not the only one. But look on the bright side. Losing to Charlotte could be the straw that breaks the Camel's back and gets Cut fired. OFC

DI I have never and could not pull in a million years for Duke to lose. However if it FINALLY raises a RED FLAG to administration and they begin compiling a list of potential replacements, I can deal with it pal! OFC

Hart2chesson, I don't know you, but I admire your dedication to Duke football. I suspect that Cutcliffe will retire at the end of the season. The TV networks want Duke to be included in the major college football money, but the Administration must exhibit some interest in the sport. If they want to play competitive football at a lower level like Villanova, I would respect the decision. But a firm decision must be made.

I played basketball at a small Catholic high school. We were in a conference with big public high schools. We didn't have a chance. It seemed like we were trying, but in retrospect, we gave up. In athletics, you should always start the year sensing that you have a chance.

For a few years, I was a professional gambler. I didn't intend to specialize on Duke games, but it was pretty easy back then. It was obvious that Duke had given up perhaps 2000? Duke was only a 10 or 10.5 underdog against ECU. Steve Logan said that he wanted to win by 40. Final score to start the season was 38-0.

I sense no sign of life going into this season. I hope for you that better days are ahead

Hart2chesson, I don't know you, but I admire your dedication to Duke football. I suspect that Cutcliffe will retire at the end of the season. The TV networks want Duke to be included in the major college football money, but the Administration must exhibit some interest in the sport. If they want to play competitive football at a lower level like Villanova, I would respect the decision. But a firm decision must be made.

I played basketball at a small Catholic high school. We were in a conference with big public high schools. We didn't have a chance. It seemed like we were trying, but in retrospect, we gave up. In athletics, you should always start the year sensing that you have a chance.

For a few years, I was a professional gambler. I didn't intend to specialize on Duke games, but it was pretty easy back then. It was obvious that Duke had given up perhaps 2000? Duke was only a 10 or 10.5 underdog against ECU. Steve Logan said that he wanted to win by 40. Final score to start the season was 38-0.

I sense no sign of life going into this season. I hope for you that better days are ahead
You're a good man ged, and very kind- thanks for the kind words! Yeah I have had a passion for Duke football since the 60s(hence the nickname, obviously). I remember that embarrassing loss to ECU from the Franks era _(ugh!). Anyway you're right new AD Nina King and the BOT are going to have to make some decisions!

I too have an idea somewhat that Cutcliffe will hang 'em up at the end of the year. A tipping point might be his stunningly bizarre move to shuffle the cards with his staff and reassign them as position coaches. It was bizarre because most have no expertise or specialty in their particular new position on staff. Some insiders tell me thats because Cut knows he will be gone at season's end. Thus he wanted to pad staff resumes in hopes they can find other jobs.Good luck on that!!! Lol...

OFC

You're correct! Hopefully a graduate student will write a thesis about the play that changed the direction of college football in North Carolina. A first year defensive coordinator was able to tell a great athlete playing linebacker for the first time in his life that the opponent would try a stupid jump pass at the goal line . It was worse than the Russell Wilson interception at the goal line against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. And to have both Surratt brothers to renege on their commitments to Duke to play for Wake Forest and UNC is ridiculous

You're correct! Hopefully a graduate student will write a thesis about the play that changed the direction of college football in North Carolina. A first year defensive coordinator was able to tell a great athlete playing linebacker for the first time in his life that the opponent would try a stupid jump pass at the goal line . It was worse than the Russell Wilson interception at the goal line against the Patriots in the Super Bowl. And to have both Surratt brothers to renege on their commitments to Duke to play for Wake Forest and UNC is ridiculous

I don't agree necessarily the ill-fated hb jump pass "changed the direction of college football" in NC. An argument could be made that happened when Surratt at UNC was playing qb in 2017 against Duke. He tried to throw a two handed overhead basketball pass that led to the Blue Devils clinching a win AT CHAPEL HILL on a PICK SIX.So I dispute the "game's direction in our state" was changed. However I would say it should have been a red flag for the Duke administration.Btw, how about the "shoestring" play Duke pulled against UNC in '69? Would you say that play "changed the direction of college fb in our state?"

Really don't know where you're going with the Surratt transfer. The kid never stopped liking UNC, and should have never signed with us. Of course the scumbag who poached him from us is history now anyway.I am not going to hang Cut out to dry on that one. OFC

@geddoughton23 you are SPOT ON Cut called a "stupid play" at the UNC goal line.in 2019. I submit it had a carryover effect into last season. Duke had used it successfully in the past, but Cut was out to lunch that day.

Cut should have realized the new DC at UNC in 19 had held the same post at Army a year earlier.(Duke had run the same play successfully vs the Cadets.) The UNC asst recognized the formation immediately, and sniffed it out perfectly. Cut obviously had a brain fart, and it spiled over into last year. The Seahawk call in the Super Bowl at the goal line was a nice comparison. OFC

It seemed like a monumental play to me. Maybe because I saw Belichick diagram the goal line interception when Seattle would have scored with Marshawn Lynch. I never thought that the Mack Brown staff was smarter than the opposing staff until that jump pass. I was confident that he would win the recruiting battle, but that one play convinced me that more than a single battle had been won

It seemed like a monumental play to me. Maybe because I saw Belichick diagram the goal line interception when Seattle would have scored with Marshawn Lynch. I never thought that the Mack Brown staff was smarter than the opposing staff until that jump pass. I was confident that he would win the recruiting battle, but that one play convinced me that more than a single battle had been won
Brown is killing us in recruiting. No one has a "gift for gab" like Mac. Hes not what I would call a good game strategist, but surrounds himself with excellent staff. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT