ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

[QUOTE="2004Audi, post: 11280646, member: 1176" if Cameron was ever to become a 20,000 capacity stadium and tickets were sold to the public it would sell out every night. there is no reason, for the price you can pay for football tickets, that the stadium be so empty. no excuse![/QUOTE]

One of the reasons that Cameron has never been expanded to a 20,000 seat arena is that Duke feels that it would not sell out every night, not come close actually. I don't see how a mid-week game in December against Colgate or Presbyterian is going to draw anywhere near 20K.

Duke thinks they have a sweet spot. Demand is such that season-ticket holders pay big bucks to the Iron Dukes to get on the list to buy season tickets. Expand to 20K and that incentive largely disappears.

And the home-court advantage diminishes with size. I've been at RBC and the Smith Center during lackluster games and it's like a big, empty cave.

As for football, Duke is dealing with a demographic reality that isn't going to go away. Even in their home county, there are more Carolina fans, more State fans, probably more ECU fans at a time when entertainment options are expanding and even bigger programs are struggling with putting paying fannies in seats.

[QUOTE="2004Audi, post: 11280646, member: 1176" if Cameron was ever to become a 20,000 capacity stadium and tickets were sold to the public it would sell out every night. there is no reason, for the price you can pay for football tickets, that the stadium be so empty. no excuse!

One of the reasons that Cameron has never been expanded to a 20,000 seat arena is that Duke feels that it would not sell out every night, not come close actually. I don't see how a mid-week game in December against Colgate or Presbyterian is going to draw anywhere near 20K.

Duke thinks they have a sweet spot. Demand is such that season-ticket holders pay big bucks to the Iron Dukes to get on the list to buy season tickets. Expand to 20K and that incentive largely disappears.

And the home-court advantage diminishes with size. I've been at RBC and the Smith Center during lackluster games and it's like a big, empty cave.

As for football, Duke is dealing with a demographic reality that isn't going to go away. Even in their home county, there are more Carolina fans, more State fans, probably more ECU fans at a time when entertainment options are expanding and even bigger programs are struggling with putting paying fannies in seats.[/QUOTE]
I cannot be that defeatist. If we are a top 25 team, we can put 40,000 buts in the seats except for games against the likes of NCCU, Army, Richmond, etc.

:(
It's about time for Bilas, with that cracking legal mind, to step in and explain that it was not Surratt's fault but the fault of that evil NCAA system which enslaves college players and forces them to cheat. We all know that Surratt agonized long and hard over his decision to sell the shoes, but felt powerless to resist the urge because of the pressure which the cruel and unsympathetic system placed on him. That decision created an irreconcilable conflict with his deep-seeded morality, leaving him no choice but to sell the shoes for as much money as he could get for them. In short, it was not his fault.:(

Sorry to disagree but Surratt thought it was ok to do since he goes to unc. If he had stayed committed to Duke he would have not even thought about it but maybe that's because he would have been sitting on pine watching Daniel Jones. OFC

[QUOTE="2004Audi, post: 11280646, member: 1176" if Cameron was ever to become a 20,000 capacity stadium and tickets were sold to the public it would sell out every night. there is no reason, for the price you can pay for football tickets, that the stadium be so empty. no excuse!

As for football, Duke is dealing with a demographic reality that isn't going to go away. Even in their home county, there are more Carolina fans, more State fans, probably more ECU fans at a time when entertainment options are expanding and even bigger programs are struggling with putting paying fannies in seats.[/QUOTE]

On the spot. OFC

Heard Chazz is going to miss the 1st. 4 games this season at unc. No big deal. If he was at Duke he would miss the 1st. for games here also. In fact he would probably miss the entire season. Ther's a reason he chose unc besides the opportunity to be a shoe salesman on the side. Daniel Jones. OFC

Heard Chazz is going to miss the 1st. 4 games this season at unc. No big deal. If he was at Duke he would miss the 1st. for games here also. In fact he would probably miss the entire season. Ther's a reason he chose unc besides the opportunity to be a shoe salesman on the side. Daniel Jones. OFC

Chazz was payed well to go to UNC.

The only other Chazz I can think of is Chaz Bono. OFC

I dont want Cameron to change anything. I will say that the mid week wed night game against Colgate brings a lot of non iron dukes to the game. students are gone and im pretty sure those tickets go on sell to the public. also, the upper deck is not full either. For every ticket that has been purchased and not being used for that game there is a willing fan who wants to be in that seat.

as far as football, I do feel bad for cut and staff. they have done some great things to turn duke football around and make them competitive game after game. I wish the attendance wasn't so bad and was a little bit more respectable.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Sorry to disagree but Surratt thought it was ok to do since he goes to unc. If he had stayed committed to Duke he would have not even thought about it but maybe that's because he would have been sitting on pine watching Daniel Jones. OFC
Sky, I do agree that by going to UNCheat Surratt no doubt believed either that he would not get caught because they would not be paying attention, or that if he was caught, nothing would happen because UNCheat had the system rigged, or that if caught, he would get a slap on the wrist, or that it was OK because no one told him it wasn't, or that it was ok because any student could sell shoes at UNCheat. Duke would provide none of those benefits, so he switched. OFC

Last edited:
FB recruiting is much more exiting than BBall recruiting to me thats for sure. lot more balls in the air.
cutcliffe teleconference this afternoon.
mcduffie is going full speed and will be active in saturdays scrimmage
lots of kids at safety playing really well which is why they moved michael carter 2 to cb next to gilbert
peace ado is huge. impressing at OT already
the big surprise for me was they are trying trevon mcswain on the OL just to see. REALLY interesting to move your starting DT to the otherside as a junior but with his size (6'6'' 300 lbs) he is really oversized for a DT. cut says he has been impressed with him. also maybe would take the pressure off the OT recruiting for this year. focus on rouse? hmmmmmmmmmmm
the other side of this is that this would free up a lot of snaps for our young DL kids
axel nyembwe 6'2'' 310 lb soph
tahj rice 6'2'' 320 lb frosh
derrick tangelo 6'2'' 310 lb soph
elijah brown 6'4'' 305 lb frosh
ben frye 6'3'' 270 lb rs frosh
edgar cerenord 6'1'' 305 lb rs senior
twazanga mugala 6'3'' 250 lb rs junior
we are younger and larger than i can ever remember on the dline. one senior with edgar and one practice squad kid with mugala, we are still 3 deep even without trevon on this side of the ball. add in we already have DT stud DeWayne Carter 6'3'' 270 (rated as #31 dt in the us by 247) committed and just made the final group for Rodas Johnson DT 6'3'' 275lbs (rated as the #19 dt in the us by 247) we seem to be doing okay on DL.

Meh. Eff chazz, our qb is better.

I don't even know who your QB is but I tend to agree. I think Surratt has a lot of physical tools but he does not have the kind of demeanor and leadership skills to be a QB, IMO.

Well Chazz did throw the game clinching pass to us. A beautiful two hander at that.

lol. Right? It looked like a soccer throw in. But that stiff arm tho...

Why does the 247 Board say we have 17 "hard" commits, with only one Charlie Hamm, and this one says 16 commits with 2 Charlie Hamms? Evidently there are 2 commits on 247 that are not on this board. Who are they and why are they not on this board?

yeah i mentioned the dbl up on Hamm a month ago but they havent bothered to fix that yet. the one they are missing is the rb jaylen coleman who committed on 6/25. 247 has him at 85 and espn at 74 so 2 solid 3 star ratings. since rivals hasnt even put him on the board i expect the famous 5.4 cop out since they probably wont even look at him. i talked about him back in this thread. tons of potential.

Last edited:
okay so we are down to 3 - 5 spots left depending on need and quality. my list
OT think one spot left
walter rouse
troy fautanu
asim richards
cb/db think 2 spots
tony davis (he did decommit but did NOT flip. he and the coaches still in touch)
taj dodson
david spaulding
best available spot or two
rodas johnson DT
nick jackson LB
adnias smith slot wr

first scrimmage tonight. good stuff. bobo is a receiver like we havent had in a while. tall and high points the ball. caught everything thrown at him. didnt matter if single or dble teamed. STUD. end zone fades might actually work this year if we throw to him and not our shortest guy for a change.
daniel jones looked good.
kickers 9 for 9 on fg attempts
looking forward to this year so much

Cant wait for football season to start. College football is my first love of sports to watch . I really hate that a lot of the old rivalries have been dropped for one reason or another. I notice that the ND-Mich rivalry is back, which is good. Also, wish Duke played State every year. I know there would be more state fans that Duke fans, but , it would still be good to get that extra money. Not to mention, I just like seeing those two play. ECU would be better than NC Central. I think all this has already been mentioned but, I'll add it again anyhow. Go Duke.

bang bang bang
wow did not see this one coming. Ahmed Craig 6'6'' 240 SDE commits from Buford GA
offers include
arkansas, auburn, ga tech, kentucky, louisville, maryland, nc state, nebraska, ole miss, oregon,south carolina, syracuse, tenn, vandy, uva, va tech and wake plus other non p5 guys like usf.
18 power 5 offers on the dline. are you kidding me with the talent we are getting on the defensive front?

just thinking about this huge get for us. we now have 4 DE commits in this class
rj oben 6'5'' 240 lb
ahmed craig 6'6'' 240 lb
christian rorie 6'5'' 267 lb
caleb oppan 6'4'' 220 lb
while that seems like alot it really isnt. when you look at our DE line
victor dimukeje soph
tre hornbuckle jr
drew jordan soph
terrell lucas jr
chris rumph rs fresh
chidi okonya rs soph
basically if you look after their red shirt year we are losing hornbuckle and lucas. lots of talk about dimukeje going early to nfl if he keeps going the way he is (and we should all hope he does). okonya was very highly rated but so far has not panned out so after his red shirt junior year he may move on. that leaves us with rumph and jordan. with the new red shirt rule these guys will get a little game time next year and really be able to step in.

Reactions: dbav
bang bang bang
wow did not see this one coming. Ahmed Craig 6'6'' 240 SDE commits from Buford GA
offers include
arkansas, auburn, ga tech, kentucky, louisville, maryland, nc state, nebraska, ole miss, oregon,south carolina, syracuse, tenn, vandy, uva, va tech and wake plus other non p5 guys like usf.
18 power 5 offers on the dline. are you kidding me with the talent we are getting on the defensive front?

TRULY great my good friend, just hoping we can keep him committed! You're so right about the studs we're getting on D.I know our recruiters are doing a tremendous job, but surf I also believe the presence of defensive whiz and co-coordinator Ben Albert is paying dividends!

OFC

ps just reading up on him and he has over 30 D1 offers. he actually had cut his list down. wow. rivals has him at a 5.5 which is kinda head scratching. cant think of many entry level 3 star kids with 30 plus D1 offers from almost every acc and sec school.

Last edited:
he is a commit at the te position. still have not put our rb commit on the board yet either. still have not taken the dbl up of hamm off. no love for football on this board by the big guys.

just thinking about this huge get for us. we now have 4 DE commits in this class
rj oben 6'5'' 240 lb
ahmed craig 6'6'' 240 lb
christian rorie 6'5'' 267 lb
caleb oppan 6'4'' 220 lb
while that seems like alot it really isnt. when you look at our DE line
victor dimukeje soph
tre hornbuckle jr
drew jordan soph
terrell lucas jr
chris rumph rs fresh
chidi okonya rs soph
basically if you look after their red shirt year we are losing hornbuckle and lucas. lots of talk about dimukeje going early to nfl if he keeps going the way he is (and we should all hope he does). okonya was very highly rated but so far has not panned out so after his red shirt junior year he may move on. that leaves us with rumph and jordan. with the new red shirt rule these guys will get a little game time next year and really be able to step in.

Cut has a history of turning high-school defensive ends into college tackles. Some of these guys are already bigger than Mugala or Frye.

yeah you are right that cut used to do that but i think these guys are ''earmarked'' for DE. one of dukes biggest issues has always been DT recruiting but we seem to have turned the corner on that when he made the brilliant hire of ben albert. we are actually getting quality kids for dline right now. no more bulking lbs into the de spot and then taking our de guys and putting them at dt. that being said, the one kid i could see that maybe happen with is rorie. i know i put him at 6'5'' but the actual measurement from duke camp was 6'4.5''. he is borderline tall for a dt but like jimlsumner said he is already 267 lbs and larger than mugala and pushing frye ( i hear he is at 275 now). if he keeps getting bigger maybe he does shift to the dt side. rj oben and ahmed craig are absolute studs at de spot. oppan is also very good but really need to add some weight his red shirt year. who would have ever thought that as duke football fans we would be talking about where we need to put the ''mansters'' on our dline?
ps steve wiseman tweeted today that the mcswain experiment at OT is over. back to DT. said that cut felt more comfortable having him on that side of the line. said the two DT freshman are impressive but felt he wanted more experience on that side of the ball.

just a few tidbits from opening night high school football
jaylen coleman RB might just be the find/steal of the year. 4 tds and broke 300 yds rushing last night
jordan waters DB/WR caught 2 long tds and returned a kickoff for a td
tony davis CB/WR had 2 td receptions and 177 yds catching

Reactions: golfwang8
so with less than two weeks till the opening game and two scrimmages under the belt it seems that a few surprises are happening with the two deep. drew jordan seems to have taken the lead at our second de spot over tre hornbuckle. nothing that tre has done but drew seems to be playing like the highly reguarded 4 star recruit he was. the second cb spot seems to be josh blackwell. the backup OT tackles are kind of a surprise. true frosh casey holman and former og jaylen miller seem to be the guys. surprising to me. miller at 6'3'' is very short for a tackle. think this shows a few misses on the recruiting trail plus patrick leittens knee injury. also the biggest surprise seems to be that derrick tangelo is starting in front of trevon mcswain. guess when you think about it that it does make some sense. trevon at 6'6'' is very tall for a dt. he was great last year on the bull rush downs but not so much on running plays. derrick has a lower center of gravity and tougher against the rush. bet trevon plays alot of third and long where he gets to bull rush the qb.

Several weeks ago I posted on one of the threads about meeting an old Duke football player by the name of Coy Clayton. He was a running back from the 50's. Told me some good stories. Saw him again yesterday at the post office. The man has so much class and a sharp mind. Told me he has been to 13 final fours. He loves being a Dukie and a Duke fan. Made me proud to be a Duke fan. OFC

Last edited:
Several weeks ago I posted on one of the threads about meeting an old Duke football player by the name of Coy Clayton. He was a running back from the 50's. Told me some good stories. Saw him again yesterday at the post office. The man has so much class and a sharp mind. Told me he has been to 13 final fours. He loves being a Dukie and a Duke fan. Made me proud to be a Duke fan. OFC
I see Dwight Bumgarner, hope I spelled his name correctly about every week or so at the small diner where we eat. He still looks in good health. He played ,and I believe was MVP of the 61 cotton bowl game. Had a son played at Duke, and I believe one at Tarhole tech. We did a story on his son who played at Duke when I was working at the HPE back in time. Probably on his other son as well, but , I don't remember that one.
Also met Ace Parker back in time while covering the old GGO. Is great to see and meet these old players.

I see Dwight Bumgarner, hope I spelled his name correctly about every week or so at the small diner where we eat. He still looks in good health. He played ,and I believe was MVP of the 61 cotton bowl game. Had a son played at Duke, and I believe one at Tarhole tech. We did a story on his son who played at Duke when I was working at the HPE back in time. Probably on his other son as well, but , I don't remember that one.
Also met Ace Parker back in time while covering the old GGO. Is great to see and meet these old players.

I know the son Bill who played at unc. He is really one great individual. He's the head of Health and Human Resources for a large company here in North Carolina that I retired from a little more than 4 years ago. He came to my retirement lunch. He used to give me a hard time about Duke and I did the same about unc but it was all good natured. He was a D lineman for the heels. Still think a lot of him. OFC

Reactions: hpnole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT