ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

It gets worse. 247 shows him as a lock to UNCheat. Why can't Cut hold on to 4-stars?

I have a feeling opposing coaches use our half filled stadium for home games as a major liability for us. Its also been awhile since Duke landed a high quality NFL player in the pros. ( Jamieson Crowder true, but thats been several years.)

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: surfdevil
yeah there is ammo to use against us. half empty stadiums suck. higher academic standards so that 90 percent of the guys you know and play with cant even get a look. very limited forward movement of players to nfl. apathy in the city of durham to duke itself (deserved i think because duke has looked down on the city for decades). to me it seems that nc high school kids are the bulk of our flips. plus it seems to be our early commits that drop. is it peer pressure? high school coaches? the thing that irks me is that these kids are mostly flipping to state and wake and unc. the qb who flipped to so cal i get. pollard to clemson i get. different level of football. but to lose a wr to wake? just dont know what the answer is

yeah there is ammo to use against us. half empty stadiums suck. higher academic standards so that 90 percent of the guys you know and play with cant even get a look. very limited forward movement of players to nfl. apathy in the city of durham to duke itself (deserved i think because duke has looked down on the city for decades). to me it seems that nc high school kids are the bulk of our flips. plus it seems to be our early commits that drop. is it peer pressure? high school coaches? the thing that irks me is that these kids are mostly flipping to state and wake and unc. the qb who flipped to so cal i get. pollard to clemson i get. different level of football. but to lose a wr to wake? just dont know what the answer is

Excellent and spot on post...

OFC

Unfortunately as long as Wallace Wade is empty and there's little national attention to Duke FB, we have to settle for lesser bowls. Still, that's a looonnng way from 0-11 so I'm not complaining, just venting.

Unfortunately as long as Wallace Wade is empty and there's little national attention to Duke FB, we have to settle for lesser bowls. Still, that's a looonnng way from 0-11 so I'm not complaining, just venting.

The only academic team really competing for conf superiority is Stanford, and that is a joke FB conference. Clemson or FSU might not have lost 2+ games in the last 5 seasons in that conf, and VT and Miami would be at or near the pinnacle of that conf in recent years.
Recent Stanford teams would have outperformed Duke in the ACC in recent years, but not by much.
Really, the ACC is probably the 2nd or 3rd best FB conference in the nation now. The bottoms of the Big 10 and Big 12 are much worse than the ACC, even if their tops are deeper than the ACC.
Stanford basically gets all the top tier academic players west of the rockies, while Duke and Vandy are a stone's throw from each other (with Vandy being in the SEC).
Plus, fan support or academics aside, Duke is a basketball school. Very few, if any, BB schools field powerful FB teams, and vice versa.

The only academic team really competing for conf superiority is Stanford, and that is a joke FB conference. Clemson or FSU might not have lost 2+ games in the last 5 seasons in that conf, and VT and Miami would be at or near the pinnacle of that conf in recent years.
Recent Stanford teams would have outperformed Duke in the ACC in recent years, but not by much.
Really, the ACC is probably the 2nd or 3rd best FB conference in the nation now. The bottoms of the Big 10 and Big 12 are much worse than the ACC, even if their tops are deeper than the ACC.
Stanford basically gets all the top tier academic players west of the rockies, while Duke and Vandy are a stone's throw from each other (with Vandy being in the SEC).
Plus, fan support or academics aside, Duke is a basketball school. Very few, if any, BB schools field powerful FB teams, and vice versa.
Excellent point. Look at Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Northwestern, UVA, Twerps, Syracuse, UConn, Wake, UNCheat.

Very few, if any, BB schools field powerful FB teams, and vice versa.

Excellent point. Look at Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Northwestern, UVA, Twerps, Syracuse, UConn, Wake, UNCheat.

It is hard to find "BB schools" that field good football teams, but there are quite a few "FB schools" with nice BB programs such as Michigan, Michigan State, Florida.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It is hard to find "BB schools" that field good football teams, but there are quite a few "FB schools" with nice BB programs such as Michigan, Michigan State, Florida.
What this means is that football schools typically have a larger fan base which can feed a successful basketball program. It does not work the other way around.

Reactions: Mac9192
What this means is that football schools typically have a larger fan base which can feed a successful basketball program. It does not work the other way around.

I'd be hard pressed to say that MSU is good enough at FB to qualify as a "good" FB team, nor that UM has been good enough to field what we'd call a good BB team. UF's BB team won two titles, back to back, nearly a decade ago. And haven't sniffed success since then.
We've been more successful at BB than MSU or UM have been at FB or BB, while being respectable, again in a tougher conference, in FB.
I stand by my statements. We are winning at a high rate in the toughest BB conference in America (by a wide margin). We are, at worst, treading water in arguably the second toughest FB conf.
The only two conferences that matter in the revenue sports are the SEC and ACC. They are number 1, by a wide margin, in FB. And they are, arguably, number 2 in BB. I'd say the ACC is the mirror image of that, only we are way ahead in BB, and arguably 2nd in FB.
What Duke has done is remarkable, all the more so given our academic requirements and our proximity to two power public schools.

Reactions: Liftee
I'd be hard pressed to say that MSU is good enough at FB to qualify as a "good" FB team,
How many P5 conference titles would a football team need to win in order to be considered "good." In the last 10 years, Duke has 0 in football, 4 in basketball. MSU has 3 in football. Virginia has 3 in basketball. Florida State has 3 in football. Florida, LSU, and Georgia each have 1 in football. Villanova has 3 in basketball. MSU football is the lone not "good" program in that list?
nor that UM has been good enough to field what we'd call a good BB team.
In the last 10 years, 2 title games, 4 sweet sixteens, 2 conference titles.
[/QUOTE]

UF's BB team won two titles, back to back, nearly a decade ago. And haven't sniffed success since then.

So the same number of titles as Duke over the same period?
In the last 10 years (so since the titles), Florida has won more regular season and conference titles than any team in the SEC not named Kentucky. Later here you say the SEC is the second best conference in basketball. Florida has been the second best team in the second best conference, but haven't sniffed success?

We've been more successful at BB than MSU or UM have been at FB or BB, while being respectable, again in a tougher conference, in FB.

We've been more successful in BB than arguably any program if you pick the right time period. The only rival in football is Alabama. I don't think setting the Duke Basketball = good and everything else less than that isn't good is a reasonable yard stick.
MSU is better at FB than Duke is at FB. Michigan is better at basketball than Duke is at football. That's only two of probably several more examples of schools doing both well.

I stand by my statements. We are winning at a high rate in the toughest BB conference in America (by a wide margin). We are, at worst, treading water in arguably the second toughest FB conf.

This is fair.

The only two conferences that matter in the revenue sports are the SEC and ACC. They are number 1, by a wide margin, in FB. And they are, arguably, number 2 in BB. I'd say the ACC is the mirror image of that, only we are way ahead in BB, and arguably 2nd in FB.

Only Kentucky fans believe the SEC is number 2 in basketball. I'll listen to ANY stats you can point to (other than achievements by Kentucky alone) that supports that claim.
The ACC is clearly the top BB conference. And yes, lately, arguably 2nd in football, though that is a pretty recent development.

What Duke has done is remarkable, all the more so given our academic requirements and our proximity to two power public schools.
Probably the truest thing you've said on this message board.

Reactions: surfdevil
I think this is absolutely true. Having attended a "football school" as an undergrad, I went to basketball games because I like the sport and because season tickets were an additional $30 after purchasing season football tickets (which were very expensive).

You wanna know the ABSOLUTE WORST types of fans??
I live in an area where it's very common to be a UK basketball fan, AND an Ohio State football fan. The most trashy basketball fans in the country, combined with a bunch of spoiled, overrated, bratty football fans. It doesn't get any worse!

Attendance is important. You have to figure out a way to fill the stadium. We have several things that work against us.

#1 is a small regional fan base at a basketball school

#2 is 2 large state schools in very close proximity (State, UNC) and two other’s Wake Forest and ECU just over an hour away.

#3 Televised non-conference games are a killer for a school with small fan base like Duke. Most of these games are against schools that have small traveling fan bases. Kansas, Tulane’s, Northwestern and Baylor.

#4 To many of our games start at noon. Noon games kill attendance early in season with bright sunshine and temps in 90’s. The ACC and TV create this situation.

NCCU. I see nothing gained by this game other than a Sure Victory.

A few things that would create excitement and put more fannies in the seats:

Schedule ECU, App. State and N.C. State. Their fans would fill the empty seats. Offer ECU and Appy State a 2 for 1. Two games at Duke for one at their place. I think both schools would take that deal. Talk about excitement?

I think Duke and State should play every year. Even if it has to be classified as a non-conference game. Both schools should pressure the ACC to make this happen.

Drop NCCU and replace them with a good FCS opponent like a Georgia Southern or maybe ODU.
These games would be more competitive, create more excitement and attendance would be better.

Continue to play a service academy team most years,

Just a few of my thoughts on increasing attendance.

You wanna know the ABSOLUTE WORST types of fans??
I live in an area where it's very common to be a UK basketball fan, AND an Ohio State football fan. The most trashy basketball fans in the country, combined with a bunch of spoiled, overrated, bratty football fans. It doesn't get any worse!
Yea I don’t get pulling for one school in one sport and a different school in another sport. I am a Duke fan in all sports. I do however root for Appalachian St because my money and my daughter went there.....

Attendance is important. You have to figure out a way to fill the stadium. We have several things that work against us.

#2 is 2 large state schools in very close proximity (State, UNC) and two other’s Wake Forest and ECU just over an hour away.

#3 Televised non-conference games are a killer for a school with small fan base like Duke. Most of these games are against schools that have small traveling fan bases. Kansas, Tulane’s, Northwestern and Baylor.

#4 To many of our games start at noon. Noon games kill attendance early in season with bright sunshine and temps in 90’s. The ACC and TV create this situation.

Schedule ECU, App. State and N.C. State. Their fans would fill the empty seats. Offer ECU and Appy State a 2 for 1. Two games at Duke for one at their place. I think both schools would take that deal. Talk about excitement?

I think Duke and State should play every year. Even if it has to be classified as a non-conference game. Both schools should pressure the ACC to make this happen.

Drop NCCU and replace them with a good FCS opponent like a Georgia Southern or maybe ODU.
These games would be more competitive, create more excitement and attendance would be better.

good post . agree with most except adding GS or ODU would do nothing to help attendance. NC ST every year should be given. ECU would add a lot of fans. Also, why has ND not been mentioned . It has high standards and they are going to be good this year. Adding Appy would draw a lot of interest, but , not sure how they would travel. I would like to see Duke draw good football crowds, just not sure they ever will.

I get the feeling that Duke has to play NC Central to maintain its relationship with Durham. Otherwise you're right, it's a wasted game.

Playing ECU at Wallace Wade would be an away game. Maybe worth it anyhow to have a full stadium.

I don't know how to increase interest in the student body. Duke isn't exactly attracting the hardcore football sector as students at this point.Maybe have half time lectures on rocket science might help.

I have been harping to get NCCU off of the schedule for years. That game provides absolutely no benefit to the football program and was added principally to appease Durham city government, thereby preventing interference with stadium renovations. Having NCCU on the schedule is actually harmful because it prepares Duke for nothing and wastes an opportunity to play someone from whom we could learn something.

Reactions: hpnole
Food for thought. In the 2016 class we had 4 4-star commits and 1 decommit, Surratt. In 2017 we had 3 4-stars, of whom 2 decommitted. In 2018 we had 2 4-stars, of whom 1 decommitted. This year we have had 3 4-stars, all of whom have decommitted. This is a disturbing trend for which I do not know the cause. Coaching changes? I don't think it is poor attendance because the decommits in every instance knew about that before they first committed. Preparation for the pros does not explain a loss of a recruit to Wake of all schools. All I know is that the decommits have reduced us to a mediocre 2019 class and to the mere hope that we get lucky and find a number of diamonds in the rough.

I read somewhere that Cut will pull an offer for a kid that has committed that then visits another school. Once a kid commits, he's expected to not take any more visits to other programs. (can't verify that this is correct)
I see why you would do that, but I also see the other side. Some of these kids "commit" VERY early in the process. They should be able to continue to at least visit other places and if at the end of the day they still want to be at Duke, that is great.
Perhaps this contributes to the number of decommits?

I get the feeling that Duke has to play NC Central to maintain its relationship with Durham. Otherwise you're right, it's a wasted game.

Playing ECU at Wallace Wade would be an away game. Maybe worth it anyhow to have a full stadium.

I don't know how to increase interest in the student body. Duke isn't exactly attracting the hardcore football sector as students at this point.Maybe have half time lectures on rocket science might help.

The student section is adequately full. The problem is that Duke has a minuscule local alumni base. Further, a lot of the non-academic, non-administrative employees are active fans of ANOTHER local university. As are the non-affiliated people who live around the university. At essentially every other university in the USA, many of the locals are "fans" of the local university. It provides jobs, and many locals settle near the school upon graduation. Not so at Duke. We just don't have the population around Duke to fill a stadium. With the advent of modern TV tech, that number is going to get worse.

Duke and NCCU used to have (may still) a course deal and the football game was part of it. Duke students could take courses at NCCU, and NCCU students could take courses at Duke.

The student section is adequately full. The problem is that Duke has a minuscule local alumni base. Further, a lot of the non-academic, non-administrative employees are active fans of ANOTHER local university. As are the non-affiliated people who live around the university. At essentially every other university in the USA, many of the locals are "fans" of the local university. It provides jobs, and many locals settle near the school upon graduation. Not so at Duke. We just don't have the population around Duke to fill a stadium. With the advent of modern TV tech, that number is going to get worse.
Classic Catch-22. If we had the players and a really good team, plenty of people would come; but if people don't come, we will not have the players.

Reactions: PatrickYates
In order to get through that, I would place a major emphasis on recruiting the absolute best players in Durham and keep them local. Durham has lots of athletes. Whether they can consistently pass the entrance requirements at duke is another matter....

Classic Catch-22. If we had the players and a really good team, plenty of people would come; but if people don't come, we will not have the players.

Yes. With a strong "however" thrown in. If Duke magically became a consistent top 25 team, the stadium might be "full" but it would be most hostile home stadium (to the home team) in the nation. It would be pro Duke of course, but we'd have more dissenters than any other home team in the land. Because we'd still have to have the lowest ticket prices to fill up, and IMO they'd be low enough to attract haters.

Never underestimate how far some Duke haters will go, or spend, to boo the devils.

In order to get through that, I would place a major emphasis on recruiting the absolute best players in Durham and keep them local. Durham has lots of athletes. Whether they can consistently pass the entrance requirements at duke is another matter....

My guess is that probably at least 75% of the top 50 player’s in this state each year are academically challenged.

Them and probably their families have little to no interest in academic’s. This is why they end up at UNC, State and power 5 out of state football schools. Duke has no chance at these kid’s.

I read somewhere that Cut will pull an offer for a kid that has committed that then visits another school. Once a kid commits, he's expected to not take any more visits to other programs. (can't verify that this is correct)
I see why you would do that, but I also see the other side. Some of these kids "commit" VERY early in the process. They should be able to continue to at least visit other places and if at the end of the day they still want to be at Duke, that is great.
Perhaps this contributes to the number of decommits?

Plenty of Duke's players have made other visits after committing to Duke.

But they were upfront about it. Several who weren't did have their offers pulled.

Plenty of Duke's players have made other visits after committing to Duke.

But they were upfront about it. Several who weren't did have their offers pulled.
Thanks for clarifying. As I said, I couldn't confirm what I had read. That is a much more defensible policy regarding visiting other schools.

Yes. With a strong "however" thrown in. If Duke magically became a consistent top 25 team, the stadium might be "full" but it would be most hostile home stadium (to the home team) in the nation. It would be pro Duke of course, but we'd have more dissenters than any other home team in the land. Because we'd still have to have the lowest ticket prices to fill up, and IMO they'd be low enough to attract haters.

Never underestimate how far some Duke haters will go, or spend, to boo the devils.
Oh, I don't know about that. South Bend, Indiana, is not exactly a garden spot, but ND has always filled it up. I think if Duke were ever a consistent top 25 team, out of state alumni would flock to the games. Also, there are plenty of people who would pay just to see really good football. There are haters at every college football game. Hell, there are haters at Duke and UNCheat basketball games. But, so what?

Oh, I don't know about that. South Bend, Indiana, is not exactly a garden spot, but ND has always filled it up. I think if Duke were ever a consistent top 25 team, out of state alumni would flock to the games. Also, there are plenty of people who would pay just to see really good football. There are haters at every college football game. Hell, there are haters at Duke and UNCheat basketball games. But, so what?

South Bend is within reasonable distance of Chicago. No Catholics there, right? And South Bend is full of ND alums and general well wishers. Duke is in Durham. It is surrounded by UNC fans. We just don't have enough local fans to consistently fill a FB stadium.
To be fair, I think stadiums will be less and less full as TV tech advances.

people are always bringing up attendance woes and wondering why it seems to be more of an issue with duke than say wake forest. i have a lot of friends from winston salem and they all love wake. unlike duke, wake has been part of the city and have been a very active part of the social landscape. duke has had a much more adversarial relationship with the city and its people. for the last 30 or 40 years it seems to me that the university has had a holier than than you attitude and it has really hurt us. if you go back and look we had better attendance numbers in the 40s and 50s and into the 60s than now which is sad when you realize how much bigger durham is now. the university must try to be better partners with the city and bridge the gap we have created.

the thing about the stadium, from my view point is this. I dont expect to see a full stadium, but damn make it so it isn't embarrassing. every season with more success I think this is the year, this is the year. every year I am disappointed. if Cameron was ever to become a 20,000 capacity stadium and tickets were sold to the public it would sell out every night. there is no reason, for the price you can pay for football tickets, that the stadium be so empty. no excuse!

Reactions: eastspartan
Isnt that the truth- a ringleader in the shoe sales, Surratt is suspended 4 games. He truly showed he belongs at the hole!

OFC

Does this mean that he's not going to be an All-American this year? Well the suspension will give him some time to work on his basketball skills so he can play for hof coach roy williams. OFC

:(
Does this mean that he's not going to be an All-American this year? Well the suspension will give him some time to work on his basketball skills so he can play for hof coach roy williams. OFC
It's about time for Bilas, with that cracking legal mind, to step in and explain that it was not Surratt's fault but the fault of that evil NCAA system which enslaves college players and forces them to cheat. We all know that Surratt agonized long and hard over his decision to sell the shoes, but felt powerless to resist the urge because of the pressure which the cruel and unsympathetic system placed on him. That decision created an irreconcilable conflict with his deep-seeded morality, leaving him no choice but to sell the shoes for as much money as he could get for them. In short, it was not his fault.:(

Reactions: QC Dukie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT