ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Several weeks ago I posted on one of the threads about meeting an old Duke football player by the name of Coy Clayton. He was a running back from the 50's. Told me some good stories. Saw him again yesterday at the post office. The man has so much class and a sharp mind. Told me he has been to 13 final fours. He loves being a Dukie and a Duke fan. Made me proud to be a Duke fan. OFC

Found out a couple of more things about Mr. Clayton. He was an all-state running back out of Walter M. Williams High School in North Carolina and played in the North Carolina . South Carolina Shrine Bowl in 1954. OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
RE: that 1960-61 team.

Don "Ace" Altman was the starting quarterback for the 1960 Duke team, which defeated Lance Alworth and Arkansas 7-6 in the 1-2-61 Cotton Bowl game. Five months later, he was pitching for Duke in the College World Series.

Now, that's a pretty cool few months.

so just thinking thank god we get NCCU this week. we are beat up right now. not knocking them but hopefully we can play our depth most of the game and try to heal up for VA TECH then we get the bye week.
list of injuries
D JONES coller bone
M GILBERT hip (out for year)
T LUCAS ankle
J MCDUFFIE knee
M CARTER II knee
R CHAMBERS ankle
B BROWN leg
E CERENORD lower body
C HARRIS ankle
D JACKSON banged up
B HUMPHRIES banged up
thats a bunch of bruises. LUCAS and MCDUFFIE didnt even travel to BAYLOR. need to heal up for the end stretch

Have any reports come out on these injuries? There are some key people here. Chambers, Carter, Brown/Jackson, Cerenord.

probably get info/update with cuts press conference tomorrow.

Surf because of the new conference rule, Cut technically have to make injuries available to media I think til Game Day. However Cut is pretty straightforward w/media, and I think we can expect a fairly candid report tomorrow.Zach Harmon is pretty banged up as well but could have played Saturday (starting center). However transfer Jack Wohlbaugh played so well in his place Saturday he was named conf OL of week....Hopefully we get Aaron Young (hamstring) back soon as well at wideout!

OFC

Found out a couple of more things about Mr. Clayton. He was an all-state running back out of Walter M. Williams High School in North Carolina and played in the North Carolina . South Carolina Shrine Bowl in 1954. OFC

Sky A number of your homies were former Duke players. Former Denver Bronco, Billy Bryan and his nephew Bubba(last name escapes me) are from Burlington. Bubba started at center for Steve Spurrier teams. Also, there was a former Burlington player who played at Duke named Troy Slade. He was a good player at Duke.

Reactions: skysdad
Sky A number of your homies were former Duke players. Former Denver Bronco, Billy Bryan and his nephew Bubba(last name escapes me) are from Burlington. Bubba started at center for Steve Spurrier teams. Also, there was a former Burlington player who played at Duke named Troy Slade. He was a good player at Duke.

I know Billy well. I consider him a friend although it's been years since I've seen him. He worked for the F.B.I. after his N.F. L. career and has now retired from there. I think you are talking about Bubba Metts. I sort of know Troy Slade . Worked with one of his brothers for a while back in the day. Story about Troy while he was still at Duke. A bunch of us were playing tackle football one Sunday on a practice field in Elon. Troy drives up and starts playing. He was so much faster and elusive than the rest of us. He was running down the sideline on the way for a T.D. when one of the guys got the angle on him (an obvious unc fan) and gave him one heck of a shot. Troy got up, brushed himself off, got back in his car and went home. OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
Did you know the Youmans brothers? I can’t remember their names but both played football for Duke and were from Burlington area.

Murray and Scott

OFC

They went to Eastern Guilford in the neighboring county. If so Torry and Terrance Holt went there also. Of course Torry had a great NFL career mainly with the Rams. I think Terrance played a little in the NFL also. I'll check about the Youmans. OFC

Last edited:

I believe you are referring to Carey Metts.

Current Duke receiver Johnathan Lloyd attended Southern Alamance H.S.

You are right. I think Bubba went elsewhere. OFC
They went to Eastern Guilford in the neighboring county. If so Torry and Terrance Holt went there also. Of course Torry had a great NFL career mainly with the Rams. I think Terrance played a little in the NFL also. I'll check about the Youmans. OFC

There was also from the Alamance area Don Brannon from Western Alalmance in the late 60's, a QB from Burlington Williams that I can't remember the name. W.R. Doug Green was from Burlington Williams ans just recently the wide receiver last name Foster from Burlington Williams. There were more I'm sure but don't let us forget coaches Red Wilson, Sam Story, Rich McGeorge and Micky Brown all coaches with Red Wilson. Shout out to Mark Robertson, current clock operator for the football Blue Devils and Western Alamance grad. OFC

Carey's nickname is Bubba. Brother Adam played at unc, another brother Bryan played at App. St. and father Carey Senior played at NCSU. OFC

Last edited:
I had forgot Doug Green. He was a pretty good receiver.

The ex Burlington Williams Bulldog led an improbable comeback at UNC in '85.Duke trailed the Heels 21-3 late in the 3rd qtr when Devils qb Steve Slayden hit Doug Green for a touchdown pass. With just over 2 minutes in game, the Slayden-Green combo struck again and the Devils cut it to 21-16. Duke failed to recover an onside kick, and the game appeared over.

All UNC had to do was basically run the clock out...BOOM! Tar Heel RB (and later ACC basketball official) William Humes coughed up the football on a handoff play into the line, and Duke had NEW LIFE at midfield with just over a minute left! Slayden furiously led the Devils down the field and hit THAT MAN DOUG GREEN AGAIN in the corner of the end zone on an unbelievable catch and Duke led! They clinched it 23-21, when ex Duke and All-Everything LB Mike Junkin picked off a desperation 4th down Jonathan Hall pass!Pandemonium, and the boys from Durham took the Victory Bell home. They painted it Duke Blue, but could just as easily painted it GREEN!!!!!!

OFC

The ex Burlington Williams Bulldog led an improbable comeback at UNC in '85.Duke trailed the Heels 21-3 late in the 3rd qtr when Devils qb Steve Slayden hit Doug Green for a touchdown pass. With just over 2 minutes in game, the Slayden-Green combo struck again and the Devils cut it to 21-16. Duke failed to recover an onside kick, and the game appeared over.

All UNC had to do was basically run the clock out...BOOM! Tar Heel RB (and later ACC basketball official) William Humes coughed up the football on a handoff play into the line, and Duke had NEW LIFE at midfield with just over a minute left! Slayden furiously led the Devils down the field and hit THAT MAN DOUG GREEN AGAIN in the corner of the end zone on an unbelievable catch and Duke led! They clinched it 23-21, when ex Duke and All-Everything LB Mike Junkin picked off a desperation 4th down Jonathan Hall pass!Pandemonium, and the boys from Durham took the Victory Bell home. They painted it Duke Blue, but could just as easily painted it GREEN!!!!!!

OFC

Great play by play call Hart. I was at that game with a UNC fan friend. After the failed onside kick we started to leave. We stopped near the seating entrance so he could go to the bathroom.

All of a sudden we hear a loud commotion in the stands. I look back onto the field and Duke offense is trotting back on the field. We rush back to our seating and I enjoyed watching the finish that you so eloquently described. My UNC fan friend, not so much. He cursed Dick Crum and William Humes all the way home.

Think I will pull out my recording of that game and watch it again tonight.

FYI tony davis will be at the NCCU game saturday and has set a new commit date of october 18 (his homecoming)
i think all this is very good for us. this game is close to a sellout and if he comes back next week for the va tech game (the atmosphere will be electric with a night time espn game) .........done

Reactions: hart2chesson
Great play by play call Hart. I was at that game with a UNC fan friend. After the failed onside kick we started to leave. We stopped near the seating entrance so he could go to the bathroom.

All of a sudden we hear a loud commotion in the stands. I look back onto the field and Duke offense is trotting back on the field. We rush back to our seating and I enjoyed watching the finish that you so eloquently described. My UNC fan friend, not so much. He cursed Dick Crum and William Humes all the way home.

Think I will pull out my recording of that game and watch it again tonight.

Dukeman thanks for the very kind words.Its fantastic to communicate w/someone who was at that game!!! I used to have a tape of Duke play-by-play guy Bob Harris describing the final frantic minute of that game.....One for the books my friend!

OFC

Dukeman thanks for the very kind words.Its fantastic to communicate w/someone who was at that game!!! I used to have a tape of Duke play-by-play guy Bob Harris describing the final frantic minute of that game.....One for the books my friend!

OFC

Hart if you like I will get a copy of that game to you. I have many hundreds copies of Duke football and basketball games over the last forty year.

Hart if you like I will get a copy of that game to you. I have many hundreds copies of Duke football and basketball games over the last forty year.

I might be in touch DM! Appreciate the opportunity!Funny I think Ben Bennett did the Raycom commentary for that game, and couldnt contain his excitement on the air during the epic Duke comeback! OFC

How far back does your collection go back?If you have any of Verga’s game would be happy to pay you as many as you have

How far back does your collection go back?If you have any of Verga’s game would be happy to pay you as many as you have

Unfortunately Topps I didn’t start recording basket ball games till 1979. I would only keep win’s. The football game which Hart described was one of the first football games I kept. Not many televised Duke football games in the 1980’s and only a few wins.

Unfortunately Topps I didn’t start recording basket ball games till 1979. I would only keep win’s. The football game which Hart described was one of the first football games I kept. Not many televised Duke football games in the 1980’s and only a few wins.
Thanks anyway have been looking for Verga games for years.Anyone have any idea on how to get them

Good news on Daniel Jones. Ten days after surgery he is back at practice. No contact but he is throwing and running again. Fracture was on left side not on throwing side. He want play again until he is healed. I’m thinking he will be back after bye week.

Good news on Daniel Jones. Ten days after surgery he is back at practice. No contact but he is throwing and running again. Fracture was on left side not on throwing side. He want play again until he is healed. I’m thinking he will be back after bye week.

Thanks for the update. OFC

What I'd love to see is footage of george "the actor" karl flopping. Talking about innovating give him credit for the flop. He would jump back and slide across the floor. He had long hair that would flop as he went into his act. He always got up slow like he was hurting. I've tried you tube and just about everything. He came out of the locker room flopping. OFC

BANG BANG
2nd commit for 2020
Jason Romero a 6'4'' 230lb wde from scotland county just committed.

ps around 75 prospects coming to sat night game vs va tech. huge huge opportunity for duke to make a statement in front of recruits. another way CUT is showing we are now a program. there were probably years where we couldnt even get return calls from 75 kids let alone having that many at one game. WOW

Last edited:
About 24 hrs till VT kickoff and hardly any buzz here about the game. Interesting.

I suppose I am not chirping too much because I have NO IDEA how this one will go. There is the SHOCKING upset the Hokies suffered last week, and I see a team coming into WALLYWORLD w/blood in their eye.

Quite frankly I wish we were a slight underdog rather than a 5 point favorite.Taking my Duke heart out of the equation just a moment if I were a betting man I would jump ALL OVER Va Tech at +5 and take the points.

However in any game like former Blue Devil great and ex Duke radio color man Wes Chesson used to say, it comes down to turnovers. Duke's done quite well in that department this year, and must continue tonight to win. No more blocked punts! Va Tech is a beast on special teams play.....
#GoDukeFootball

OFC

yeah the table is set for duke. national nighttime tv game. lots of recruits on the field. picked over a normal powerhouse. this is a game that could really send the message/statement that we are a valid program. this could be the biggest game of CUTS coaching career to this point. my queasy feeling in my stomach is that duke has not handled these moments very well so far. if we could go 5-0 going into the bye week.......

Last edited:
yeah the table is set for duke. national nighttime tv game. lots of recruits on the field. picked over a normal powerhouse. this is a game that could really send the message/statement that we are a valid program. this could be the biggest game of CUTS coaching career to this point. my queasy feeling in my stomach is that duke has not handled these moments very well so far. if we could go 5-0 going into the by week.......

Surf per as almost 100% of the time, I completely concur w/your analysis.I share that "queasy feeling."I want this game, and would say this is much more than a regular season game. Its a PROGRAM GAME for the Blue Devils.....

OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
I think the reason is about 90% of the posters here are Duke basketball “fans” only.
I for one am very excited about the game tonight. A chance to go 5-0 on National tv and really send a message that we are for real.

Q most of the fans here are only Duke hoops fans, and unfortunately that mirrors much of our student body. I think we can really start to turn that around w/a win this evening.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT