ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

well that game was a disaster and it gets worse. jaylen miller out for the year. ankle surgery tomorrow.
i know our depth has gotten better but holy crap
mark gilbert season
aaron young ?
zach harmon ?
daniel jones ?
jaylen miller year
edgar gerenord year
britton brown ?
michael carter ?
jeremy mcduffie ?
koby quansah year
marvin hubbard year
? is multiple games and ongoing misses

well that game was a disaster and it gets worse. jaylen miller out for the year. ankle surgery tomorrow.
i know our depth has gotten better but holy crap
mark gilbert season
aaron young ?
zach harmon ?
daniel jones ?
jaylen miller year
edgar gerenord year
britton brown ?
michael carter ?
jeremy mcduffie ?
koby quansah year
marvin hubbard year
? is multiple games and ongoing misses

Surf the injuries do rise, but honestly we just showed no fight today.Very disappointed in lack of effort. We were favored against Va Tech and UVA at home, yet lost both VERY HANDILY! This team better come together or it could be another swoon like last year.

OFC

Reactions: PixelDevil
Virginia Tech got slapped around big time by GT last night. Virginia looking more and more like the eventual division winner. They get the holes this week, i hope they don't lay down after their performance against us.

The way I see it, the ACC has a lot of average to good teams that beat each other up, and then there's Clemson. Clemson is the superpower right now and even established schools like Miami, FSU and Virginia Tech are having trouble getting anywhere in this league. NC State is good but not great. Louisville is a dumpster fire, both literally and figuratively. GT is decent but can't get out of their own way at times. Same for us. Virginia looks ready to take the division, we shall see how they end up against their rival VT.

Cryalotta sucks. Nuff said.

Reactions: hart2chesson
so wanted to bring this thread back to front page
per stephen wiseman
cutcliffe said initial word is joe giles-harris has an mcl injury. very preliminary pending mri. cutcliffe said no one is talking about him needing surgery at this point. NOT AN ACL. again preliminary.

by the way look at the teams we have played this year
army at 7-2. play a lot of midlevel type teams so shows we are much improved as a program
northwestern 5-4 with losses to notre dame and michigan
baylor 5-4 with losses to oklahoma, wva, texas and US
georgia tech 5-4
virginia 6-3
va tech 4-4
pitt 5-4 with losses to penn state, ucf and notre dame
miami 5-4 with losses to LSU and boston college

we have played a good schedule and except for nccu have not played a bad team. we have competitive talent just need a little better coaching.

Last edited:
Duke is a true program now that can beat anyone on any given day. With that said we still don't have the talent of the blue bloods to guarantee wins against equal or better talented teams. The win last night was in Miami, meaning we got a lot of attention in a win we usually don't get. Trust me, players from the southeast saw that and it probably made their eyes get wide. Duke?

We need to take advantage of this win in recruiting. Particularly in the state of Florida. If we beat unc this coming week it will also help with in state prospects.

Carolina is used to getting more good players than anyone else from this state that don't have blue blood or SEC status. Nc state is already cutting into that and we need to as well. The coach at wake is also recruiting better than expected. If carolina starts losing out on prospects they are used to getting, larry is officially done lol...

okay 3/4 of season done so lets reset recruiting a bit.
welp while i was typing this we just got a BANG BANG
jalon calhoun 5'11' 177lb wr (slot) just committed. had backed off his ga tech verbal friday. also a south carolina shrine bowler. really good pick up

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
so now back to recruiting updates
guys we wanted but have given a verbal elsewhere
wandale robinson wr to kentucky
genson hooper-price wr to northwesten
bryce benhart ot to nebraska
nick jackson lb to uva
new targets
jalon calhoun (see above) slot wr takes the sting out of wandale
ron carr ot 6'5'' 250 lbs verbal to yale but really blowing up right now. has suddenly added offers from
arizona state, duke, minnesota, pitt and vandy.
wisdom asaboro ot 6'8'' 275 lb native nigerian who is just starting to play football in nc. lots to learn but as they say you cant teach size.
david spaulding cb 6'2'' 185 lb still hasnt given a verbal anywhere but kinda think we might be done with dbs

we are really close to done. maybe a flyer on a qb?

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I think we should offer or at least look at the best quarterback in NC every year to every two years that may be a bit undersized. They wouldn't be able to afford to walk on, by and large, but there are good hs qbs in this state that go on to play other sports. Joe Butts at North Davidson is one I think of from a few years ago. Plays baseball at Catawba now.

Even if they never started for us they would be great for in state recruiting ties and would give us a player waiting in the wings if the recruiting projections didn't work out.

okay so good news just keeps coming this week. beat miami at miami. bball routes kentucky. boogie i think committing friday at 7 pm. now ron carr the 6'5'' 250lb ot that has been committed to yale but has blown up has set an official to duke on 12/7 (when all of our commits are on campus together). he is a former bball player who has the frame to put on 40 lbs easily and still keep his footwork skills. would be a really great get for us. rescent offers include duke, vandy, so cal, arizona st, boston college, minnesota, pitt, rice, uconn and cincy. WE REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED THIS KID.

Surf - what is the status on #’s:

11-didn’t see him yesterday?

Are they coming back or are they out for the season?

11 scott bracey just cant seem to break into the rotation. frustrating but cant seem to get it. i look for him to become a factor next year. cut stays loyal to people sometimes to a fault. taylor dropping passes while bobo (best hands on team) sits is frustrating.
22 brittain brown is still week to week but suiting up for games. maybe against wake? i wouldnt run him out against clemson unless deon gets hurt
8 aaron young must have had the worst pulled muscle in history. basically we have not been able to use him all season
44 joe giles-harris still havent heard a time table. we need him back bad.

none of these guys are reported as out for year. god we need aaron back to replace taylor. he is killing us with dropped balls. i think the coaches are kinda holding guys out a little longer this year because the depth has really kinda stepped up.
so as i said earlier on another thread we lost ben frye and dylan singleton for the year. ben had an acl injury wednesday in practice and dylan broke his leg in game. cut also said jake bobo is fighting an ankle injury. i think quansah might have reinjured also which is why we saw so much of hill in that game.
so we have lost our best dl, cb, s for the season plus have 2 of our 3 best lbs missing games due to injuries. throw in our best rb and our deep threat receiver missing a ton of games it makes the 7-3 record kind of amazing.

11 scott bracey just cant seem to break into the rotation. frustrating but cant seem to get it. i look for him to become a factor next year. cut stays loyal to people sometimes to a fault. taylor dropping passes while bobo (best hands on team) sits is frustrating.
22 brittain brown is still week to week but suiting up for games. maybe against wake? i wouldnt run him out against clemson unless deon gets hurt
8 aaron young must have had the worst pulled muscle in history. basically we have not been able to use him all season

none of these guys are reported as out for year. god we need aaron back to replace taylor. he is killing us with dropped balls. i think the coaches are kinda holding guys out a little longer this year because the depth has really kinda stepped up.
so as i said earlier on another thread we lost ben frye and dylan singleton for the year. ben had an acl injury wednesday in practice and dylan broke his leg in game. cut also said jake bobo is fighting an ankle injury. i think quansah might have reinjured also which is why we saw so much of hill in that game.
so we have lost our best dl, cb, s for the season plus have 2 of our 3 best lbs missing games due to injuries. throw in our best rb and our deep threat receiver missing a ton of games it makes the 7-3 record kind of amazing.

Worse Duke injury situation since '71 when they had guys going both ways....

OFC

Great info and comments my friend. Like your point about the depth "has really kinda step up." We have had a number of contributions: Quentin Harris, Chris Rumph, Brandon Hill, Deon Jackson,Brandon Feaster have all made contributions. Jake Bobo has now recovered 2 onside kicks....

Per the players specifically you addressed:
Scott Bracey: To my recollection, he came in as a 4 STAR, and had success written all over him. I think he was redshirted two yrs ago (injury), last year was less than we expected on cameos, and has been similar this year in very spot duty. I am hopeful he will be a breakout player as well.

Aaron Young: as you say must be worse worse muscle pull possible. I recall him coming back and playing one game, and thats it. Yes we MISS HIM BADLY, and his hands! Sometimes Taylor couldnt catch a cold!

Brittain Brown: Havent heard a lot of specifics, primarily "lower body issue." Been out much longer than I anticipated, but obviously Deon Jackson's emergence has been a HUGE PLUS at rb!

Joe Giles-Harris: probably biggest loss because you DO NOT replace him. Personally I would hold him out Clemson game because it will be SUCH A PHYSICAL CONTEST w/their overpowering strength, and hopefully have him ready for Wake!
OFC

This season has had it's ups and downs but I primarily feel like we've met expectations at this point. If we play lights out against Clemson, awesome. If we get killed, that's what is supposed to happen.

Not looking a week ahead but beating wake would be sweet and get us in better position for a bowl game... LET'S GO DUKE!!!

I bet recruits have loved us the past two weeks...

It wound be wonderful to pull off the greatest upset in
Duke football history. As long as we can complete I'm also for leaving our starters in the game but if it does get to be ugly let's get Daniel , Humphreys and others out of the game. We still have games to play this season. If the game is out of hand and Cut. Pulls our starters I feel Dabo will do the same. He doesn't want his guys hurt eiter. It may take 70 points to win this game. It sounds lIke I' my throwing in the towel but let's see how it's doing at the half. OFC

It wound be wonderful to pull off the greatest upset in
Duke football history. As long as we can complete I'm also for leaving our starters in the game but if it does get to be ugly let's get Daniel , Humphreys and others out of the game. We still have games to play this season. If the game is out of hand and Cut. Pulls our starters I feel Dabo will do the same. He doesn't want his guys hurt eiter. It may take 70 points to win this game. It sounds lIke I' my throwing in the towel but let's see how it's doing at the half. OFC

Sky you make very VALID points my friend!

OFC

This season has had it's ups and downs but I primarily feel like we've met expectations at this point. If we play lights out against Clemson, awesome. If we get killed, that's what is supposed to happen.

Not looking a week ahead but beating wake would be sweet and get us in better position for a bowl game... LET'S GO DUKE!!!

I bet recruits have loved us the past two weeks...

BLACK KNIGHT I would LOVE to post an 8-4, but Wake has momentum from State win, and Duke-Wake is always nip and tuck it seems. Still its definitely in reason we beat the Deacs....OFC

so just a few updates
jatlen coleman our rb recruit for next year 154 carries for 1537 yds and 16 tds. this kid is a freak. we stole him.
injury totals for starters by lost games
defense gilbert 8 cerenord 6 mcduffie 3 carter 2 jgh 1 humphries 1 jordan 1for a total of 22 so far
offense young 8 miller 3 brown 4 harmon 3 jones 2 for a total of 20 so far
42 total missed so far this year
we still have 3 games to go. last year the teams with most starter games missed
unc had 44 with 3-9 record
cal had 46 with 5-7 record
fla had 49 with 4-7 record
ball state had 57 with 2-9 record
tenn had 58 with 4-8 record
kinda puts how good we are doing in perspective. our missed starters total is going to be very very high and yet we will have a much better record than anyone could have dreamed of. i think this is a credit to cut and staff in that they see what a kid can be as opposed to what rivals, 247 and espn say and they are being proved right more than not. we have depth depth and more depth.

Last edited:
so just a few updates
jatlen coleman our rb recruit for next year 154 carries for 1537 yds and 16 tds. this kid is a freak. we stole him.
injury totals for starters by lost games
defense gilbert 8 cerenord 6 mcduffie 3 carter 2 jgh 1 humphries 1 jordan 1for a total of 22 so far
offense young 8 miller 3 brown 4 harmon 3 jones 2 for a total of 20 so far
we still have 3 games to go. last year the teams with most starter games missed
unc had 44 with 3-9 record
cal had 46 with 5-7 record
fla had 49 with 4-7 record
ball state had 57 with 2-19 record
tenn had 58 with 4-8 record
kinda puts how good we are doing in perspective. our missed starters total is going to be very very high and yet we will have a much better record than anyone could have dreamed of. i think this is a credit to cut and staff in that they see what a kid can be as opposed to what rivals, 247 and espn say and they are being proved right more than not. we have depth depth and more depth.
Dude, thanks for all of the work you do in these by recruits and updates, I’m sure it’s a lot. We appreciate it!

yeah i would like to see a few more highly ranked kids every year but i really dont know that cut and his staff look at that. we have one 4 star on all sites but espn has us with 5 players at 79 which is just under their 80 4 star rating. 247 has 3 players within 1 point of 4 star on the composite. rivals has us with 7 players with a 5.6 or higher. even 10 years ago we would have 1 or 2 players ranked that high. we are getting really nice classes but missing the 3 to 4 ''difference maker'' type kids to put us on an even field with the va tech type teams.
that being said our staff does a great job finding the hidden gems that rivals/247/espn dont find or see. i like our rb verbal this year (jaylen coleman) better than the kid who decommitted for state (zonovan knight) and who is rated higher. knight plays in a triple option offense so i put an ''MEH'' on his yardage. i like jaylens stats much better out of a traditional offense. look at the two star kids that rivals dinged us with the last few years and realize how they screwed up. axel nyembwe, derrick tangelo, noah grey, tre hornbuckle and brandon feamster. notice a bunch of starters/impact players? heck they disliked noah so much they graded him at a 5.3. they didnt even think of him as a d1 level player. WRONG. not all our kids work out but we seem to be well above the curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whutadrag2
anybody see mel kiper this morning on get up? said david jones of duke is his #2 qb on the board and they showed video of DUKE FOOTBALL on a weekday on espn. have to think he is gone at end of the season. gotta be good for duke football to get an early draft pick. BAD for the opening game vs bama next year.

Last edited:
yeah i would like to see a few more highly ranked kids every year but i really dont know that cut and his staff look at that. we have one 4 star on all sites but espn has us with 5 players at 79 which is just under their 80 4 star rating. 247 has 3 players within 1 point of 4 star on the composite. rivals has us with 7 players with a 5.6 or higher. even 10 years ago we would have 1 or 2 players ranked that high. we are getting really nice classes but missing the 3 to 4 ''difference maker'' type kids to put us on an even field with the va tech type teams.
that being said our staff does a great job finding the hidden gems that rivals/247/espn dont find or see. i like our rb verbal this year (jaylen coleman) better than the kid who decommitted for state (zonovan knight) and is rated higher. knight plays in a triple option offense so i put an ''MEH'' on his yardage. i like jaylens stats much better out of a traditional offense. look at the two star kids that rivals dinged us with the last few years and realize how they screwed up. axel nyembwe, derrick tangelo, noah grey, tre hornbuckle and brandon feamster. notice a bunch of starters/impact players? heck they disliked noah so much they graded him at a 5.3. they didnt even think of him as a d1 level player. WRONG. not all our kids work out but we seem to be well above the curve.

Heck I think Noah Gray has the best hands of our 3 TE's.....

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
yeah noah actually had the most snaps at TE for us last week and 4 receptions. just goes to show you dont know how players will progress when they hit college. both noah and bracey were high school qbs. rivals hated noah and loved bracey. noah got it quickly and scott hasnt yet. heck you can add in mark birmingham (TE) out of the previous class. 4 star on 2 boards and a high 3 star on rivals and he cant even get on the field. you also dont know if rivals (the other services seem to) go back and readjust their rankings due to the position the colleges recruit them for as opposed to what they play in high school. this years class has sayyid stevens a 6'2'' 225lb kid. rivals has him as a de and a 2 star which i get since he is very small for a de. duke brought him in as an outside linebacker for which he is well sized for. will rivals readjust? probably not. the other recruit i scratch my head over with rivals this year is ahmad craig DE. look at his offer list. wow. the other services have him borderline 4 star and rivals has him as a low 3 star. i think in a couple of years he will be another one we look back at and go ''what was rivals thinking?''

Last edited:
okay so the latest on football recruiting. we are really only looking at 2 more kids.
ron carr the 6'5'' 250 lb OT is the guy we are looking at for last line spot.
ainias smith is a 5'10'' 187 lb athlete who we are looking at best available/slot wr.
thats kinda it. if we miss on these two i think we look at grad transfers. the curveball we are now looking at is that with the injuries to gilbert and jhg they are not 100% early exit draft guys now. if they were to come back then we are really going to have an issue with schollies. even read somewhere that edgar might qualify for a medical 6th year if he wants it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT