ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

daniel was a gray shirt which meant he had to pay his own way the first semester and was to get a schollie in the spring. he was a very very under the radar QB (growth spurt etc) in high school by the recruiting services. i got blasted in the day for saying i liked him and pointed out that he was the charlotte metro player of the year over several highly ranked qbs. this being said, lets wait and see what happens. i have not heard of any gray shirts yet this year probably due to us being so far past the schollie limit. if jgh and gilbert both come back then cut and the staff will have to make some calls on who to boot. with the verbals we have right now plus maybe smith to be added we are WAY past the limit. they are going to have to ask some to move on or take medical outs.
ps both baker mayfield and josh allen were both walk ons at one point in there career. NOT that i am saying gavin will ever be more than practice squad player but who knows? he's got good genes! let it play out

Last edited:
daniel was a gray shirt which meant he had to pay his own way the first semester and was to get a schollie in the spring. he was a very very under the radar QB (growth spurt etc) in high school by the recruiting services. i got blasted in the day for saying i liked him and pointed out that he was the charlotte metro player of the year over several highly ranked qbs. this being said, lets wait and see what happens. i have not heard of ant gray shirts yet this year probably due to us being so far past the schollie limit. if jgh and gilbert both come back then cut and the staff will have to make some calls on who to boot. with the verbals we have right now plus maybe smith to be added we are WAY past the limit. they are going to have to ask some to move on or take medical outs.
ps both baker mayfield and josh allen were both walk ons at one point in there career. NOT that i am saying gavin will ever be more than practice squad player but who knows? he's got good genes! let it play out

Hey Surf, I'm with you -"let it play out." You mentioned the "good genes," thus I am excited to have another Spurrier. Son Stevie (as he was known in his Duke days during the ill-fated Barry Wilson years) wasnt a bad WR for the Devils!

OFC

i thought so too until you look at snaps on the field. dimukeje 647, hornbuckle 441, jordan 391, rumph 312 and then lucas at 226. he is no longer in the 2 deep and they are not going to take snaps away from rumph next year. add in 4 DE kids coming in this year with the new redshirt rules and i think he saw the writing on the wall. right now we are at 88 schollies if daniel stays. if he leaves 87 but we are still trying to get anias smith to commit which takes us back to 88 or 89. that means 3 or 4 more kids will have to move on by transfer or medical hardship. probably reed (k), parker (p) and maybe will taylor on medical? part of football now is the moving on.

Reactions: hart2chesson
i thought so too until you look at snaps on the field. dimukeje 647, hornbuckle 441, jordan 391, rumph 312 and then lucas at 226. he is no longer in the 2 deep and they are not going to take snaps away from rumph next year. add in 4 DE kids coming in this year with the new redshirt rules and i think he saw the writing on the wall. right now we are at 88 schollies if daniel stays. if he leaves 87 but we are still trying to get anias smith to commit which takes us back to 88 or 89. that means 3 or 4 more kids will have to move on by transfer or medical hardship. probably reed (k), parker (p) and maybe will taylor on medical? part of football now is the moving on.

Surf thats reassuring news on the lucas departure for certain! Hayes also had his moments, but we played so many youngsters in secondary I would think the impact of his loss would be offset?

OFC

so all letters in. evidently they have porter wilson (k) signing a gray shirt due to schollie numbers. guess as of right now reed is staying thru the fall.
BIG NEWS patrick leitten under goes surgery on his leg again this am. cut presser today so we will know what it was for then. good picture of him in the hospital bed on his facebook page.

acl again. crap. plus evidently rorie tore his acl during his high school senior year so damn.

Last edited:
Notice that Roper was not hired as OC. Was not that good an OC at Duke. Horrible at Fla and South Carolina. Glad Cut did not reach out. Hope Cut hires a real OC, but fat chance of that happening.

He would still have been an improvement over Zach with less to work with at qb.....Kurt had Anthony Boone in '13, Zach still hasnt achieved those lofty heights with pro prospect Daniel Jones.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Intangibles can't be measured... Thaddeus, Sean and Anthony all had tremendous intangibles as leaders...

Thadd played on horrible teams and always made it so they at least had a punchers chance... Most underrated player in Duke and maybe ACC history. Jmo

not a big roper fan either. think n c state did okay by making him the qb coach only. pretty sure cut is in charge of the offensive game plan. if we want to bitch about too many bubble screens, running only up the middle or throwing the fade to the shortest player on the team every time then i think you have to look up top.

not a big roper fan either. think n c state did okay by making him the qb coach only. pretty sure cut is in charge of the offensive game plan. if we want to bitch about too many bubble screens, running only up the middle or throwing the fade to the shortest player on the team every time then i think you have to look up top.

It does all start w/Cut, and 7 points vs Wake was pitiful.....

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
Intangibles can't be measured... Thaddeus, Sean and Anthony all had tremendous intangibles as leaders...

Thadd played on horrible teams and always made it so they at least had a punchers chance... Most underrated player in Duke and maybe ACC history. Jmo

Thad was tremendous at giving us a fighting chance. His game vs Russell Wilson at Raleigh where he led us to a win was one of the highlight qb performances in the Cut era!

OFC

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
so just saw that duke set or tied a bunch of independence bowl records
* 12 receptions by rahming ties record with va techs isaiah ford
* 240 yds receiving by rahming a new record
* 276 total yds a new record by rahming
* 85 yd td jones to rahming new longest td pass record
* 5 td passes by jones new record
* 6 td responsible for by jones a new record
* 56 points highest team scoring record

Last edited:
so just saw that duke set or tied a bunch of bowl records

Are these Independence Bowl records?

Thanks surf! Appreciate all the info. The ideal 2nd half where Duke put a 35-0 PASTING on Temple was a thing of beauty! Tremendous adjustments by staff at halftime. Surf dont be a stranger!!!! Theres plenty to keep up with offseason, and I only wish now we had some more games!

Surf just some observations and please add your inside scoop and thoughts:

1/ I think w/o question DJ is gone, and the timing appears excellent for him!

2/Joe Giles-Harris: just have a FEELING he wont be back...Your input please...

Any other observations, thoughts as we head into offseason? Cut said in presser this week we might sign one more player. Thoughts? Great job this year buddy-from another AVID DUKE FB FAN-

OFC

Thanks for posting this surfdevil. I worked at the lake today and 2 unc cheating fans were with me and and we watched the game. Of course they made fun of Duke when we fell behind early with the long return and the pick 6. One of them said "it looks like it's gonna be a long day for the dookies." I told them at least we were having a day. The the Devils got rolling and all a could say was "man I hope we can hang on." Wonderful day to be a Dukie. OFC

yeah i think/hope daniel goes to the nfl. i really dont think the ol will be improved at all over this years and with bama and nd in our first 4 games i expect a lot of injuries. GO MAKE MONEY.

JGH is interesting. i dont think he will go in the top 4 rounds. he just doesnt have great speed and that seems to be the main want/need of nfl teams these days. have read where if he gets drafted it will be as an inside lb. god he is a tackling machine though. if he were to stay one more year can he increase his speed enough to work up in the draft? i dont think so.

as i stated before the last kid we are going after is ainias smith a 5'10'' slot receiver from texas. it is between us and texas a & m. we are in a good spot but they are the home team. gonna be fun.

the biggest issue we have right now is the schollie numbers. with our signings earlier this month we are now at 88. if daniel and jgh go we are at 86 but add in ainias we go to 87. that means at least 2 more kids will need to transfer out or take a medical hardship route to hit the 85 number. truthfully if another 2 more kids would leave then we could maybe look at qb and ot grad transfers. just have a lot of balls in the air that will work themselves out over the next week or two.

yeah i think/hope daniel goes to the nfl. i really dont think the ol will be improved at all over this years and with bama and nd in our first 4 games i expect a lot of injuries. GO MAKE MONEY.

JGH is interesting. i dont think he will go in the top 4 rounds. he just doesnt have great speed and that seems to be the main want/need of nfl teams these days. have read where if he gets drafted it will be as an inside lb. god he is a tackling machine though. if he were to stay one more year can he increase his speed enough to work up in the draft? i dont think so.

as i stated before the last kid we are going after is ainias smith a 5'10'' slot receiver from texas. it is between us and texas a & m. we are in a good spot but they are the home team. gonna be fun.

the biggest issue we have right now is the schollie numbers. with our signings earlier this month we are now at 88. if daniel and jgh go we are at 86 but add in ainias we go to 87. that means at least 2 more kids will need to transfer out or take a medical hardship route to hit the 85 number. truthfully if another 2 more kids would leave then we could maybe look at qb and ot grad transfers. just have a lot of balls in the air that will work themselves out over the next week or two.

APPRECIATE the speedy reply my friend....Please keep us posted! OFC

edited. yes independence bowl records. been playing this bowl since 76 so this is impressive.

I hate to make more work for you, haha, but I believe a number of those were Duke and ACC records as well. Do you have a breakdown on those?

I believe Rahming's yardage total was an ACC record and Jones day was a Duke record.

really havent had time to research yet but have seen
3 straight bowl wins first time ever for duke
duke school record for points
DJ school record for td passes in a game

on all the boards there seems to be two main threads/concerns. we need to recruit better and we need better coaching. i think the recruiting is in general good. our low end is much better than it ever has been. i would like to see us grab that extra 2 to 3 upper end 4 star playmaker type kid per year. i think that is what we are missing is that one elite type wr or rb or ..... i really would like to see us open up the playbook more. run outside the tackles. less bubble screens. can coaches teach better hands for the wr? with all the injuries we had this year and we still won 8 games. at least two of the losses were on the coaching staff. the pitt loss to me was the most frustrating. run the ball and kill the clock. basic fundamental football. instead 3 straight incomplete passes that burns 17 total seconds leaving pitt time to drive and win. STILL PISSED. this team could have won double digits if the coaching had been a little sharper. all this being said, how far up the ladder has CUT brought duke football that i am frustrated with 8 wins in a season?

Reactions: dbav
really havent had time to research yet but have seen
3 straight bowl wins first time ever for duke
duke school record for points
DJ school record for td passes in a game

on all the boards there seems to be two main threads/concerns. we need to recruit better and we need better coaching. i think the recruiting is in general good. our low end is much better than it ever has been. i would like to see us grab that extra 2 to 3 upper end 4 star playmaker type kid per year. i think that is what we are missing is that one elite type wr or rb or ..... i really would like to see us open up the playbook more. run outside the tackles. less bubble screens. can coaches teach better hands for the wr? with all the injuries we had this year and we still won 8 games. at least two of the losses were on the coaching staff. the pitt loss to me was the most frustrating. run the ball and kill the clock. basic fundamental football. instead 3 straight incomplete passes that burns 17 total seconds leaving pitt time to drive and win. STILL PISSED. this team could have won double digits if the coaching had been a little sharper. all this being said, how far up the ladder has CUT brought duke football that i am frustrated with 8 wins in a season?

Great points. WRT to "better recruiting," I think that needs to fleshed out a little. In general, recruiting is going well. Everyone wants more play makers, including Bama, OK, and Clemson. There simply aren't that many to go around. Wanting more of those is like wanting more players like Rj and Zion in hoops. No duh.
Recruiting at certain positions needs to improve. WR's in general. We've got some good ones, but we have gotten some guys that seemed to have underperformed their rankings. And I continue to be underwhelmed about OL recruiting, because it is the lifeblood of successful teams. Bama, UGA, and Clemson don't crow about their skill positions success in recruiting, they focus on line recruiting. We are OK on DL, but OL is problematic. To me, it is the one area where Duke really lags. This bothers me because poor OL play is what got Cut into trouble at Ole Miss. I think Cut considers this year to be a mild disappointment. Obviously the Def injuries were devastating. Even so, our D was good enough to have us in a lot of games. The O really let us down a few times, and I attribute that about 85% OL play, and 15% WR drops. WR play was "fine" in general, it simply could have been a little better. The RBs were good, and the OL was good at run blocking. Pass protection was bad. DJ had to get rid of the ball quickly, and given our WRs, that rarely worked out for Duke.

yeah i agree. we need that impact OT or DL kid every year plus a skill type player that can help. i said that i think we are recruiting well its just that we cant seem to get those 2 or 3 4 star kids on the line or in the skills area that can send us to the next level. every year we seem to get a verbal or two that we end up losing. greene and knight are going to be impact type kids. we had them this year then lost them to other instate teams. sux. the ol line issues are huge right now. between misses and injuries we are just hurting especially at ot. look at rimmer. huge offer list. multiple acc and sec offers. did everyone just figure this kid wrong? now we have a 6'7'' kid as a 3 deep back up guard? patrick leitten just underwent second acl sugery. 2 years 2 surgeries. will taylor gets voted captain at his high school all american game but gets injured and we dont know if he will ever play. liam smith is a miss. reno rosen was a miss. we now have a new oline coach who we need to see how he coaches and how he helps recruit. everyone seems to like the 2 ot guys we signed this year but they both will need to fill out over the next year or two before they will have any impact. if we were an sec team we would just kick these guys to the curb but that is one of cuts good qualities in that if you sign you get 4 years. after that he might say look for other options but you get a full chance at a duke education.
this is why i think dj should move on. whoever is qb next year is gonna get killed. i think next year will be our worst oline showing but we should be ascending after that i hope

so on another site there was a well done breakdown on our dline issues for next year and yes we do have some. albert normally likes to do a 3 deep rotation to keep players fresh and impactful so injuries really hurt us the last half of the season which is why they struggled to finish this year.
DE is okay with the top 4 kids coming back but where do we go after them? dimukeje, hornbuckle, jordan and rumph are solid. some were hoping to see rumph try the hybrid role (think jeremy cash) but with lucas transferring out i dont see that happening. after these four we have chidi okonya and the four incoming frosh. chidi has not lived up to his ranking yet and the frosh are frosh. maybe oben or craig can pitch in as a true frosh but thats a lot to ask. also dont forget rorie tore his acl at his high school this year so i pretty much think he will redshirt along with oppan.
DT is a little scarier. edgar cerenord and ben frye both will be recovering from acl surgeries. fryes happened so late in the season i doubt he plays next year. egdar has a better chance to get back but after a long rehab how will his conditioning be? will he be in football shape? also dont forget that twazango mugala walked with the seniors so he will be gone. that leaves us with 6 guys total. trevon mcswain, derrick tangelo, axel nyembwe, tahj rice, elijah brown and incoming frosh dewayne carter. one of the reasons that our d started getting bullied late in the year was injuries which caused our remaining guys to play way to much. mcswain played 655 plays this year (7th on team) which is just way too many to stay fresh and effective. axel played 471 plays and derrick 208 plays. tahj only played 83 and elijah got 0. we really need edgar to get well, tahj to get into better shape and elijah to bring some impact next year if we are going to be effective next year. they keep saying that elijah is a work out warrior so hopefully he can bring that to the field.

so on another site there was a well done breakdown on our dline issues for next year and yes we do have some. albert normally likes to do a 3 deep rotation to keep players fresh and impactful so injuries really hurt us the last half of the season which is why they struggled to finish this year.
DE is okay with the top 4 kids coming back but where do we go after them? dimukeje, hornbuckle, jordan and rumph are solid. some were hoping to see rumph try the hybrid role (think jeremy cash) but with lucas transferring out i dont see that happening. after these four we have chidi okonya and the four incoming frosh. chidi has not lived up to his ranking yet and the frosh are frosh. maybe oben or craig can pitch in as a true frosh but thats a lot to ask. also dont forget rorie tore his acl at his high school this year so i pretty much think he will redshirt along with oppan.
DT is a little scarier. edgar cerenord and ben frye both will be recovering from acl surgeries. fryes happened so late in the season i doubt he plays next year. egdar has a better chance to get back but after a long rehab how will his conditioning be? will he be in football shape? also dont forget that twazango mugala walked with the seniors so he will be gone. that leaves us with 6 guys total. trevon mcswain, derrick tangelo, axel nyembwe, tahj rice, elijah brown and incoming frosh dewayne carter. one of the reasons that our d started getting bullied late in the year was injuries which caused our remaining guys to play way to much. mcswain played 655 plays this year (7th on team) which is just way too many to stay fresh and effective. axel played 471 plays and derrick 208 plays. tahj only played 83 and elijah got 0. we really need edgar to get well, tahj to get into better shape and elijah to bring some impact next year if we are going to be effective next year. they keep saying that elijah is a work out warrior so hopefully he can bring that to the field.

Surf thanks for the update! Wow didnt realize we were in a potential depth crisis on the D-Line. Hopefully the football gods will smile on Duke next year and injuries will not play near as big a role. Here's HOPING!!

OFC

just an fyi
duke had 15 starters miss 3 or more games due to injury this year. ouch
do you realize that 11 of the 13 teams we played this year made a bowl game?
in respect to the dline we just need to hope a couple of kids show up and man we cant have another year of injuries like this last year. i am just worried because with bama and nd in our first 4 games i am worried about the bangs our guys will be taking.

Yea. But Temple ain’t no Wake Forest.;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts