ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

well we knew two more had to go to hit 85 schollies. chidi okonya DE and aaron young WR both announce they are leaving the program. chidi never panned out so not a big loss but damn we never got to see a healthy aaron this year which sux.

The Young departure seems very strange given he would likely have been the top target at wideout next year.

yeah evidently he was very close to coach parker so when he left decided to move closer to home. recruited by farris who then switched jobs, bonded with parker who left and then just decided that instead of third coach at duke he would start fresh somewhere else. duke wanted him back but the wr coach instability bit us. really sux because he had 2 years left he could have played.

He had offers from Alabama and Ole Miss among others. Let's hope we have better luck with him than we did with our last quarterback commit from California, who decommitted and is now riding the bench at USC (that's the fake USC, Southern California, not the "Cocks").

OFC

we have a very wide net this year on the qb spot. we are taking two. we already have a 4 star in house (luca) and are doing well with a number of others.
gregory spann 6'4'' 194 lbs 5.7 on rivals
tyler van dyke 6'4'' 212 lbs 5.8 4 star on rivals
beau allen 6'2'' 200 lbs 5.8 4 star on rivals
evan prater 6'5'' 190 5.6 on rivals
all of these guys are ranked higher than navy and i have heard much more about these guys. beau is the one i am pulling for.
spring football notes
still have a lot of injuries from the end of the year so many players not practicing.
gilbert, singleton, carter, cerenord, frye, hubbard, marwede, miller and leitten.
this is giving our depth guys a chance to get reps and shine. hearing casey holman making noise at ot. that would be a really really good thing because that is a worry spot. also harris seems to be stepping into the starting qb role and asserting his leadership. if this transfers into the fall that would be great news

we have a very wide net this year on the qb spot. we are taking two. we already have a 4 star in house (luca) and are doing well with a number of others.
gregory spann 6'4'' 194 lbs 5.7 on rivals
tyler van dyke 6'4'' 212 lbs 5.8 4 star on rivals
beau allen 6'2'' 200 lbs 5.8 4 star on rivals
evan prater 6'5'' 190 5.6 on rivals
all of these guys are ranked higher than navy and i have heard much more about these guys. beau is the one i am pulling for.
spring football notes
still have a lot of injuries from the end of the year so many players not practicing.
gilbert, singleton, carter, cerenord, frye, hubbard, marwede, miller and leitten.
this is giving our depth guys a chance to get reps and shine. hearing casey holman making noise at ot. that would be a really really good thing because that is a worry spot. also harris seems to be stepping into the starting qb role and asserting his leadership. if this transfers into the fall that would be great news

Knew you would come thru Surf! Thanks for ALL of the great info! OFC

Reactions: skysdad
so two injuries to report so far from spring ball
LB brandon hill has a right knee scope and out till fall practice
OL jacob rimmer massive labrum tear. had surgery this morning. happened during practice

also WR scott bracey injured again. no description but i bet its that damn hammy again

Last edited:
so two injuries to report so far from spring ball
LB brandon hill has a right knee scope and out till fall practice
OL jacob rimmer massive labrum tear. had surgery this morning. happened during practice

also WR scott bracey injured again. no description but i bet its that damn hammy again

Rimmer probably has me the most concerned Surf, considering our shaky status at OL last year.Let us know if possible about his possible timeline for rehab. Appreciate the update as always!

OFC

info from pro day
JGH couldnt do 40. still in recovery.
Harris with a 5.01
Koppenhaver with a 4.79
Rahming with a 4.46
LLoyd with a 4.53
DJ with a 4.65

really worried that JGH is going to go undrafted. really good times by Rahming and Kopp. dont think they will get drafted but invited to camp to try and make a team seems good

Too bad about Giles-Harris. Surf,What do you think about some of our other guys chances to make pros. Humphries, Daniel Helm for instance? OFC

friday night showcase in the books
tony davis has shoulder injury and surgery upcoming
harding was underrated. gonna be a stud wr
bobo looks like he will be a star wr
garner really really struggled catching the ball (dropped a td pass right in the bread basket)
peace addo nowhere near ready to play
jacob monk was running first team right tackle. kraeling ran 2nd team.
quansa and shaka look really good at lb
young looked solid at wr
bracey ran 1st team but missed a couple of tough catches. gotta start making these. jalen alexander had some really nice plays at cb
a j reed was #1 kicker. maybe a bounce back? lets hope so
we seem to have players and depth everywhere but OL.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
friday night showcase in the books
tony davis has shoulder injury and surgery upcoming
harding was underrated. gonna be a stud wr
bobo looks like he will be a star wr
garner really really struggled catching the ball (dropped a td pass right in the bread basket)
peace addo nowhere near ready to play
jacob monk was running first team right tackle. kraeling ran 2nd team.
quansa and shaka look really good at lb
young looked solid at wr
bracey ran 1st team but missed a couple of tough catches. gotta start making these jalen alexander had some really nice plays at cb
a j reed was #1 kicker. maybe a bounce back? lets hope so
we seem to have players and depth everywhere but OL.

Surf, Dev4Ev here (formerly hart2chesson). Thanks as always for your coverage. Garner's hands were shaky last year on two balls right to him he was targeted. Really hope he gets it together, because he has great speed! OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: surfdevil
yeah great speed but you have to CATCH the ball for it to matter.
quenton harris also looked very good.
7 - 11 for 69 yds and a td
31 yds rushing with 2 tds on 6 attempts.
not bad for a rainy night

Reactions: Leo2Wes and dbav
yeah great speed but you have to CATCH the ball for it to matter.
quenton harris also looked very good.
7 - 11 for 69 yds and a td
31 yds rushing with 2 tds on 6 attempts.
not bad for a rainy night

Not bad at ALL! Will this be the year Bracey FINALLY BREAKS THRU? OFC

bang bang new commit
Graham Barton a 6' 5'' 280 lb OT commits
huge position of need
kinda under rated if you go by offers
boston college, cincy, indiana, louisville, mich st, miss st, mizzu, purdue, vandy, uva, va tech, wake and wash st.

Surf fantastic! Followed Duke football since 60s- we can NEVER have enough OL guys...

OFC

bang bang new commit
Isaiah Fisher Smith a db from gboro page commits
6' 185 lbs
not to many offers. ecu app unc wake umass uncc and tenn state
like his size. 5.5 on rivals and 83 on 247. i really dont know too much here. he was on the low end of our offered kids "ratings wise" but when it comes to dbs i defer to the staff.

Last edited:
bang bang new commit
Isiah Fisher Smith a db from gboro page commits
6' 185 lbs
not to many offers. ecu app unc wake umass and tenn state
like his size. 5.5 on rivals and 83 on 247. i really dont know to much here. he was on the low end of our offered kids "ratings wise" but when it comes to dbs i defer to the staff.

THANKS SURF! Isiah becomes the first DB to commit to Duke from Page High since Wyatt Smith in mid 80s who blossomed under Coach Steve Spurrier.OFC

okay so i have read a little more about isaiah. plays a hybrid safety/lb type spot for page. seems to be a really good tackler and run stuffer. attacks the line of scrimmage. not much film on him in coverage. also runs track for page so will not be an early entree guy. runs the 100, 4x1, 4x2, 4x4. speed to burn and doesnt mind getting physical. hmmm starting to like him more and more

Reactions: Liftee and skysdad
Led Page in tackles last year with 73. Also had 2 sacks. Like was said, doesn't mind getting his nose in there. Love seeing NC kids heading to Duke.

Reactions: hart2chesson
i have read where gilbert is on pace with his recovery but if you recall that means the earliest is fall practice but more likely early during the season is when he returns. just a freak injury.

Reactions: hart2chesson
i have read where gilbert is on pace with his recovery but if you recall that means the earliest is fall practice but more likely early during the season is when he returns. just a freak injury.

TRUE SURF, As I recall no one was even around him...OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT