ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

I’ll give it to week three of the regular season. After manning throws his 12th pick, Giant fans will be screaming for Daniel Jones.

I just hope Gettleman saw something on Daniel's pro day that everyone else missed.

I just hope Gettleman saw something on Daniel's pro day that everyone else missed.
I am betting that Gettleman was impressed by what Daniel was able to accomplish at Duke, the lack of protection from the offensive line, the absence of a running game to take pressure off of the passing game, and the receivers who were less than surehanded. Place Daniel with a quality team like Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, or Alabama, I believe that he would rank right up there with the QB's at those schools. I saw the UNC game, and Jones was unreal. OFC

so just to finish this draft
joe giles harris udf to jville
t j rahming udf to skins
helm udf to chargers
kop udf to green bay

do you realize that since 2015 that uncc and nc a&t have more draft picks than us? ouch

do you realize that since 2015 that uncc and nc a&t have more draft picks than us? ouch[/QUOTE]

Surf doesnt concern me in the least. "Do you realize" 2015 was the last time UNC defeated us in FOOTBALL??? If your point Is trying to indicate UNC, UNCC OR A&T has better players, think what that says about how Cut has made UNC (for instance) his b_ _ _ _ , and CLEARLY OUTCOACHED THEM.(USING UNC because they' re much more monetarily backed as a UNC system school than your examples.)Plus we havent played those other schools you mention-

In fact for the record, Cut has 5 wins over UNC in the last 7 years, AMAZING when you consider the academic admissions standards at both schools, AND the resources available to the state's largest public institution.

Furthermore I think the magnified coverage of Jones going so early, casts a pall over any differences in quantity of NFL draftees. Lets just keep winning on Saturdays, NFL DRAFT picks will take care of themselves. OFC

Last edited:
hey was not trying to bash cut at all. i think what he does with how limited our talent is year by year is amazing. if you went back and looked it up i was one of the few who backed daniel jones at the start. he was the charlotte metro area player of the year over several highly ranked qbs that year. we just need to start pulling that extra 3 to 4 high ranked kids a year who can qualify at duke but go elsewhere. notre dame, stanford, uva and a few others (penn state) are consistently beating us on the upper end kids. we need to win a few of these kids because the acc is only going up in quality of competition. we need to ride the wave also

Reactions: hart2chesson
hey was not trying to bash cut at all. i think what he does with how limited our talent is year by year is amazing. if you went back and looked it up i was one of the few who backed daniel jones at the start. he was the charlotte metro area player of the year over several highly ranked qbs that year. we just need to start pulling that extra 3 to 4 high ranked kids a year who can qualify at duke but go elsewhere. notre dame, stanford, uva and a few others (penn state) are consistently beating us on the upper end kids. we need to win a few of these kids because the acc is only going up in quality of competition. we need to ride the wave also

Good post from good friend! OFC

so duke just gave CUT a 2 year extension. that takes him to 15 years. good for both parties. CUT is 67-72 in his duke time with 3 straight bowl wins. we were 10-82 in the previous 8 years. just some perspective

Amen Surf, and any early thoughts on this beast of an in-state OL we offered? Class of '21, 6'8" and 290 already! OF

OFC

so our OT commit for next year evidently had a very good showing at the opening nashville. per the 247 guys he was the BEST OL guy at the opening. the down side was they had him a 6'4'' and were playing him at left guard.

well 247 wasnt kidding about how impressed they were with graham barton OT at the opening. they just upped him to a 90/4star and now have him in the top 247 kids. good for us that he is a brute. bad for us now that eveyone will know

well 247 wasnt kidding about how impressed they were with graham barton OT at the opening. they just upped him to a 90/4star and now have him in the top 247 kids. good for us that he is a brute. bad for us now that eveyone will know

I can smell Mack Brown a mile away...OFC

Reactions: skysdad
so tonight is the saturday night live invitation only event for football prospects. this normally is the start of a rapid fire offer and commitment month. lets hope we find some talent and that we impress them.

not a lot going on right now. seems like a number of the guys we were strong with are moving on to other schools. we knew this was going to be a small class and they were shooting at a higher level of kids BUT it seems like we are not closing them out. starting to get nervous

not a lot going on right now. seems like a number of the guys we were strong with are moving on to other schools. we knew this was going to be a small class and they were shooting at a higher level of kids BUT it seems like we are not closing them out. starting to get nervous

Not good, and the biggest potential "poacher" of other teams verbals is right down the road in Mack Brown.

OFC

yeah not really happy with whats going on right now. seems like cut has ordered an all quiet on the durham front. just seems like the opposite thing we need to be doing to generate interest in the team. i know most duke fans are bball only fans but dang lets try to generate buzz and talk football. guess they are happy with being a mid to low level bowl team but man i think we could be more.

yeah not really happy with whats going on right now. seems like cut has ordered an all quiet on the durham front. just seems like the opposite thing we need to be doing to generate interest in the team. i know most duke fans are bball only fans but dang lets try to generate buzz and talk football. guess they are happy with being a mid to low level bowl team but man i think we could be more.

Things do seem too quiet. I hope this team doesnt turn what many of the so-called "experts" are saying into a self fulfilling prophecy. Best prediction I have seen so far is 5-7. We can be better than this I truly feel.

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
what a lot of experts seem to be saying/thinking is that duke has hit a plateau and that this is where we will stay at with cut at coach. while 5-8 wins a season and a low level bowl is much better than the pre cut days, i dont know if that will keep what few fans that duke football has happy and invested in the program. i think when you get a taste of something like winning you want more. right now we are struggling to get OT players to come to duke. why? we let our oline coach that had a great reputation go a few years ago and now 2 coaches later there are still questions about the OL coaching. kids are advised by their high school coaches and they seem to be saying maybe not duke right now. look what a difference bringing in a KNOWN coach like ben albert has done for the dline. i think we have more kids rated as a 4 star by a service on the dline than any other spot. i think cut will need to sit down and look at the coaches and need to make some hard choices but can he? this is why they fired him at ole miss.

Last edited:
what a lot of experts seem to be saying/thinking is that duke has hit a plateau and that this is where we will stay at with cut at coach. while 5-8 wins a season and a low level bowl is much better than the pre cut days, i dont know if that will keep what few fans that duke football has happy and invested in the program. i think when you get a taste of something like winning you want more. right now we are struggling to get OT players to come to duke. why? we let our oline coach that had a great reputation go a few years ago and now 2 coaches later their are still questions about the OL coaching. kids are advised by their high school coaches and they seem to be saying maybe not duke right now. look what a difference bringing in a KNOWN coach like ben albert has done for the dline. i think we have more kids rated as a 4 star by a service on the dline than any other spot. i think cut will need to sit down and look at the coaches and need to make some hard choices but can he? this is why they fired him at ole miss.

Surf I hear what you are saying. Cut can be very stubborn per his coaching staff. You mentioned Albert, but its VERY SELDOM he brings in an outsider, and thats hurt us to an extent.

I am very glad you referenced Latina. He was forced out, yet it was announced as retirement. That was a crock. I had heard from an insider like you he wanted Latina on the road recruiting more, and Latina balked. Regardless Cut erred on that one! OFC

I am not as attuned to the coaching situation as you guys are, but if Cut reaches a ceiling at 5-7 wins a season for the next 3 or so years, and lays the groundwork for the next guy to come in and get us to 6-9 wins, I'd be a very happy fan.

I agree there's been a plateau in recruiting but that's not the same as a drop-off which was my real fear about 5 years ago.

I am not as attuned to the coaching situation as you guys are, but if Cut reaches a ceiling at 5-7 wins a season for the next 3 or so years, and lays the groundwork for the next guy to come in and get us to 6-9 wins, I'd be a very happy fan.

I agree there's been a plateau in recruiting but that's not the same as a drop-off which was my real fear about 5 years ago.
There has been a drop-off from 4 - 5 years ago. Not optimistic about the current recruiting class. Waiting for some good news. Please, soon.

so maybe some news coming. a few crystal ball picks have come in for duke today. reece atteberry,OL, who is visiting duke this week, just got a couple for us. also gregory spann,QB, got a couple in for us today. both are rated 5.7 by rivals so borderline low 4 star/ high 3 star type kids. would make for a really nice week for us.

so maybe some news coming. a few crystal ball picks have come in for duke today. reece atteberry,OL, who is visiting duke this week, just got a couple for us. also gregory spann,QB, got a couple in for us today. both are rated 5.7 by rivals so borderline low 4 star/ high 3 star type kids. would make for a really nice week for us.

Will definitely take!!!

OFC

also just saw where kedrick bingley jones (de) is visiting at the same time as reece. one of the top kids in the country coming on his third official visit. hmmm maybe there is no news coming out because the coaches are working hard. would be an amazing get.

Last edited:
Do verbals even matter for football? Haven't we lost several of our higher verbal commits lately as they receive more offers from top schools? It makes me very cautious about football verbal commits.

Do verbals even matter for football? Haven't we lost several of our higher verbal commits lately as they receive more offers from top schools? It makes me very cautious about football verbal commits.

NO,unfortunately this is true. You are also correct in we have ultimately lost out to others after they said "Coach I am coming to Duke." Must be sickening for a staff after going so hard for a player.

Personally I think "poaching" another team's recruits is wrong, and unfortunately syrupy good ol boy Mack Brown will be even worse than Larry Fedora about it if thats possible. Cut doesnt play the game. I have heard him say "we will not flip another team's commits." Very honorable!

OFC

Last edited:
Some verbal commitments renege. The overwhelming majority do not. So, yes, I would argue that verbal commitments mean something.

Reactions: surfdevil
I predict you will see us lose more verbals since Brown is at UNC. The ol' slap on the back smiling and gift for gab unfortunately serves him generally quite well. Hes also a master at making in-state hs coaches his pals.Liftee I dont really start OFFICIALLY start counting our recruits until SIGNING DAY....OFC

OK thanks for your opinions. College football is a tough business. I'm sure Cut and his staff stay in close touch with their commits to try to reduce losses. I also hope that they are proactive once a recruit to another school announces his intention to decommit.

bang bang. the first firework has been shot
calib perez OT from texas commits. 6'6'' 285 lbs. 5.5 on rivals 86 on 247.
total of 29 offers, dbl digit power 5 offers
list includes ok state, texas tech, ariz state, baylor, boise state, boston college, houston, illini, indiana, kansas, minny, tcu, vandy plus others.
maybe a little underrated? thats a lot of offers for a low level 3 star.

Last edited:
bang bang off goes the second firework. michael reese 6'3'' 270lb DT commits. 5.6 on rivals. solid 3 star on espn and rivals. chose us over offers from arkansas, kentucky, tenn, vandy, wake and some smaller schools. nice to get 2 lineman on back to back days. i am a big believer that you win in the trenches.

Last edited:
bang bang it is a firework free for all. aeneas peebles 6'2'' 265lb DT from knightdale nc commits. picked up 5 offers this week alone. had a number of small college offers before he camped at louisville. won the Player of the Camp award over 150 other ol/dl kids. think we might of found a real quality late bloomer. so i think we get one DE prospect and the dline is done.

Reactions: PixelDevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT