ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

And we aren't really the team that lost to Wake, and they aren't really 49 points better. It was their best day and our worst day.

That's how football goes sometimes. Personally I'm really looking forward to what we roll out next year. The ACC is getting better but so long as Clemson is in the opposite division we still have a shot at our own crown lol.

Obviously I would love to beat Clemson and win the ACC but I'm also realistic with current expectations... Bama will show us exactly how far we have to go on that note. Duke will probably never be a football power but could get to the level of tripping up big programs like Stanford does at times.

Obviously I would love to beat Clemson and win the ACC but I'm also realistic with current expectations... Bama will show us exactly how far we have to go on that note. Duke will probably never be a football power but could get to the level of tripping up big programs like Stanford does at times.

Daniel Jones officially gone.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
so we now at 86 schollies with DJ and JGH declaring. if we add A SMITH like they hope the we are at 87. this means at least 2 more kids will be asked to move on or take a medical. hmmmm
in other news usa today did their all state lists and 7 commits are on it
jacob monk ol 1st team nc
jaylen coleman rb 2nd team nc (rivals rating is idiotic)
tony davis db 1st team nc
dewayne carter dt 2nd team ohio
r j oben de 2nd team nj
elijah wroten dt 1st team pa (rivals has as entry level 3 star)
matthew smith te 1st team ma (rivals pans this kid also)

my thought is if we are short at the dt spot why are we converting a 1st team all state guy from pa into a guard? plus he has the body weight to play now.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Wouldn’t have an interest in Duke. Since Alabama would be his first game.

Very true- he has said he harbors no grudge towards the Tide, and he may have to sit a year anyway-

OFC

Last edited:
jalen isnt coming. he is a grad transfer so no sitting but we are a huge step down in class. have heard that we may be getting a visit from john rhys plumlee, a 4 star qb who verballed to georgia but did not sign in the early period. that would give is 2 ea 4 star kids for the future (holmberg).
also Gerad Parker our wr coach has taken the same job at penn state.

jalen isnt coming. he is a grad transfer so no sitting but we are a huge step down in class. have heard that we may be getting a visit from john rhys plumlee, a 4 star qb who verballed to georgia but did not sign in the early period. that would give is 2 ea 4 star kids for the future (holmberg).

Thank god Parker left. Our wide outs were terrible way too many times this year. Not sure what penn state saw in him.

What about Tate Martell? We’ve done VERY well with Ohio state transfers

Surf thanks, this smells a little fishy. Are we losing a qb via transfer perhaps? If I was Katrenick particularly I wouldnt be too crazy about it....

OFC

we only have three qbs on schollie. QH, Katrenick and Holmberg. most teams have 4 if not 5. my understanding is that we will not be expecting any grad transfer type guys and IF we get any they will not be with us till the fall practice sessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
in reguard to coach gerad, i dont know that you can trash him for all the drops by the wr group. do we blame coach k and say he sux for all the bball players that the term '' hands of stone'' were used (casey sanders etc) all a coach can do is put a player in the best spot to make a big play. our kids dropped open pass after open pass but his system had them in the right spots.
FYI
receiving tds by wr went from 5 in 17 to 18 in 2018
total yds went from 1894 in 17 to 2252 in 2018
also lost our best wr after game 1 (young)
those are pretty good advances for one year as the wr coach. add in the recruitment of eli and harding who are as highly thought of as wr prospects as i can remember us getting (outside of bracey). also like the fact that we are now getting guys with size.
eli 6'4''
harding 6'3''
waters 6'1''
smith 6'2''
garner 6'3''
bobo 6'4''

in reguard to coach gerad, i dont know that you can trash him for all the drops by the wr group. do we blame coach k and say he sux for all the bball players that the term '' hands of stone'' were used (casey sanders etc) all a coach can do is put a player in the best spot to make a big play. our kids dropped open pass after open pass but his system had them in the right spots.
FYI
receiving tds by wr went from 5 in 17 to 18 in 2018
total yds went from 1894 in 17 to 2252 in 2018
also lost our best wr after game 1 (young)
those are pretty good advances for one year as the wr coach. add in the recruitment of eli and harding who are as highly thought of as wr prospects as i can remember us getting (outside of bracey). also like the fact that we are now getting guys with size.
eli 6'4''
harding 6'3''
waters 6'1''
smith 6'2''
garner 6'3''
bobo 6'4''

Surf you make a VERY VALID case for Coach Gerad Parker. Also those are POSITIVE NUMBERS representing obvious improvement. However very respectfully I beg to differ.

I still saw TOO MANY drops this years from our wides.Despite Rahming's great year it could have been even better. Lioyd dropped a few year end ( usually surehanded). However the biggest problem I had this season per drops and last year was senior Chris Taylor.He showed the same hands of stone last year. I know we wanted his speed on the field, but I would have sacrificed some of his speed for Bobo's presence on the field more. Bobo had the best hands in preseason practice and should have been on field more.I cannot forget Taylor dropping two potential tds vs Va Tech early (costing us chance perhaps to win the game). He still had a number of other drops this year.Also Plays (a couple for Jarrett Garner) were drawn up and he dropped BOTH. One was a perfect throw from DJ (OPENING PLAY of UVA game- cost us TD....)Jury out on him.

Sorry but I have to say good riddance to Parker. Heck Cut gave him a job when no one else would anyway after his DUI arrest....
I say try Scotty Montgomery at WR coach only, not OC.Hes a good recruiter as well....

OFC

Last edited:
guess duke shut the door on austin due to him having 2 years of availabilty left. onward and forward.

Interesting Surf and I understand that decision by Cut....Keep us posted, understand Plumlee MAY visit....

OFC

fyi next years schedule has been released
8/31 bama
9/7 nc a&t
9/14 @ mid ten state
9/21 bye
9/27 @ va tech
10/5 pitt
10/12 ga tech
10/19 @ uva
10/26 @ unc
11/2 bye
11/9 notre dame
11/16 syracuse
11/23 @ wake
11/31 miami

With this schedule being as brutal as it is... I will be very happy if we can just get to any bowl game! Go Duke!

Niv I LOVE your optimism!
Alabama - L
NC A&T - W
Middle Tennessee - W
Va Tech - W
Pitt - W
Ga Tech - W
Virginia - W
UNC - W
Notre Dame - L
Syracuse - W
Wake - W
Miami - L

Va Tech would be the the top of my list to change. Duke is better than Pitt - regardless of what the 100 point games have shown. Ga Tech will be a question with the new coach. Syracuse was a fluke this past season (I think) and Wake is improved, but not to the level they looked like against Duke last season.
And, big caveat, the Blue Devils need to stay out from under the ambulance. That think hit the team hard last season.

Alabama - L
NC A&T - W
Middle Tennessee - W
Va Tech - W
Pitt - W
Ga Tech - W
Virginia - W
UNC - W
Notre Dame - L
Syracuse - W
Wake - W
Miami - L

Va Tech would be the the top of my list to change. Duke is better than Pitt - regardless of what the 100 point games have shown. Ga Tech will be a question with the new coach. Syracuse was a fluke this past season (I think) and Wake is improved, but not to the level they looked like against Duke last season.
And, big caveat, the Blue Devils need to stay out from under the ambulance. That think hit the team hard last season.

Very possible......

Need to survive Alabama game without mass casualties. Saban will have them ready to make a statement out of the gate after the Clemson debacle.

so quietly duke had a junior prospect visit weekend these last 2 days. around 15 kids. got a commit.
malik bowen 6'2'' 180 lb wr from tenn. offers from memphis, ole miss and rutgers
has a 5.7 rating from rivals

so quietly duke had a junior prospect visit weekend these last 2 days. around 15 kids. got a commit.
malik bowen 6'2'' 180 lb wr from tenn. offers from memphis, ole miss and rutgers
has a 5.7 rating from rivals

I saw that. Good pick up looking forward to seeing him on the field making great catches. OFC

well we knew two more had to go to hit 85 schollies. chidi okonya DE and aaron young WR both announce they are leaving the program. chidi never panned out so not a big loss but damn we never got to see a healthy aaron this year which sux.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT