ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

okay so the latest on football recruiting. we are really only looking at 2 more kids.
ron carr the 6'5'' 250 lb OT is the guy we are looking at for last line spot.
ainias smith is a 5'10'' 187 lb athlete who we are looking at best available/slot wr.
thats kinda it. if we miss on these two i think we look at grad transfers. the curveball we are now looking at is that with the injuries to gilbert and jhg they are not 100% early exit draft guys now. if they were to come back then we are really going to have an issue with schollies. even read somewhere that edgar might qualify for a medical 6th year if he wants it.

WOW! Interesting stuff surf. JGH,Gilbert, Cerenord all possibly returning???? What a possible twist. Of the three, I would say Harris is the most likely to go, because hes had an excellent career and I think the NFL has a large enough sample size of his solid play to allow him to go fairly high....

OFC

Reactions: Whutadrag2
just want to clarify that there is talk and a small small chance of them staying. nothing is set in stone. gilbert basically lost the whole year due to a freak injury. will an nfl team want to give a top 4 draft pick on a kid who has been out a year? will gilbert be okay being a low draft pick or will he want to come back and show he is elite? heck i dont know and havent seen anywhere how his rehab is going? edgar could get a medical sixth year per another site but does that mean he even wants it? does he want to go thru a whole year of rehab and training or does he want to start his post football career with his duke degree or does he dream of the nfl? jgh is the really interesting one for me. nfl draft sites have never had him in top two rounds, usually 3 to 5. now with a strained mcl who knows? the other interesting tidbit i saw on another site by a poster is that there are some in his camp who are trying to get daniel to stay on more year to try and polish up his game. he still has a habit of locking on his first option sometimes and then there are 4 to 5 times a game where he holds the ball to long and gets sacked or hit. another year would help him a lot but if what they are saying holds true can you/should you turn down early round nfl draft pick money? long term (fixing issues for longer career) vs short term (money now). the other factor is that we have recruited and accepted verbals from kids with the idea that they would be gone. we have 14 to 15 seniors on schollie (not sure warehamm the kicker on full ride). we have 20 verbals with a chance of two more. that means 7 to 8 rjr kids will be asked to move on or take a medical out. welcome to REAL college football.

DJ would be crazy not to go(if projections are correct). Take the money now and learn on the fly in the league. Would love to see JGH and Gilbert back but would love to see them in the league also.

We will need playmakers next year with Alabama and ND on the schedule.

Its kind of a good news/bad news thing. Daniel has the chance to go very high, giving us some much needed NATIONAL EXPOSURE for recruiting, and developing talent. Also JGH, Gilbert, Cerenord could also be picked. Duke has had trouble w/gaining a reputation for developing NFL type talent, and this could be a huge potential boost.

By the same token, we really need veteran playmakers next year in particular for the very formidable schedule we face. I cant help but be selfish and hope all of them stay. Personally however, I feel DJ is gone(cant blame him).

OFC

DJ would be crazy not to go(if projections are correct). Take the money now and learn on the fly in the league. Would love to see JGH and Gilbert back but would love to see them in the league also.

We will need playmakers next year with Alabama and ND on the schedule.

DJ will graduate in December with a degree in Economics, so not a lot of reasons for him to stay.

Reactions: hart2chesson
so the hits keep on coming. in cuts presser he stated that jake marwede te tore his acl and is gone. this will really affect us next year when helm and kopp are both graduated. seems to me it really takes a year to heal fully from this injury

Last edited:
so the hits keep on coming. in cuts presser he stated that jake marwede te tore his acl and is gone. this will really affect us next year when helm and kopp are both graduated. seems to me it really takes a year to heal fully from this injury

Book it: Noah Gray will be 1st team all ACC TE before he leaves Durham! OFC

Reactions: Whutadrag2
senior day walkers
c clark bullet
rb griffin carter
s brandon feamster
lb kevin gehsman
c zach harmon
ot christian harris
s jordan hayes
te daniel helm
lb ben humphries
te davis koppenhaver
wr trevon lee
wr johnathan lloyd
s jeremy mcduffie
de twanza mugala
rb nicodem pierre
wr t j rahming
wr chris taylor
k collin wareham

few things i noticed. 4 rjr kids walking. feamster, hayes, lee and mugala. kinda surprising since feam and hayes are starters. also no edgar cerenord, mark gilbert or jgh on that list? hmmmmmm

fyi bullet, carter, gehsmann and wareham were non schollie guys

Last edited:
i have seen where it is being reported the paperwork has been filed to try to get cerenord a sixth year so that at least is happening. have you thought about our dline depth and talent if he comes back next year?
DE & DT
line 1 dimukeje, cerenord, mcswain , jordan
line 2 terrell lucas, tangelo, nyembwe, hornbuckle
line 3 okonya, rice, frye, chris rumph
line 4 r j oben (fr), brown, carter (fr), ahmad craig (fr)
red shirt guys caleb oppan (fr), christian rorie (fr)

have we ever seen this kind of depth at all 4 spots? with one more year of lifting and training under their belt? our young guys are becoming upperclassmen before our eyes. that new red shirt rule where all these guys can play 4 games and keep the red shirt is a huge game changer

Last edited:
i have seen where it is being reported the paperwork has been filed to try to get cerenord a sixth year so that at least is happening. have you thought about our dline depth and talent if he comes back next year?
DE & DT
line 1 dimukeje, cerenord, mcswain , jordan
line 2 terrell lucas, tangelo, nyembwe, hornbuckle
line 3 okonya, rice, frye, chris rumph
line 4 r j oben (fr), brown, carter (fr), ahmad craig (fr)
red shirt guys caleb oppan (fr), christian rorie (fr)

have we ever seen this kind of depth at all 4 spots? with one more year of lifting and training under their belt? our young guys are becoming upperclassmen before our eyes. that new red shirt rule where all these guys can play 4 games and keep the red shirt is a huge game changer

We’re going to need it because our LB corp will be a definite drop in production.

Reactions: hart2chesson
so just to put this back on front page
cut said in his presser that nicodem pierre injured and done for career. bad way to finish your senior year. nico may not have been a starter but he was a great special team player. will miss his effort.
also coaches out visiting all our recruits this week. after the wake game they are probably having to do some more sales pitches to keep them coming.
also paul johnson retiring at ga tech.

so a quick fyi
jason romero de from scotland county backs off his self quoted 10000% percent commitment for 2020.
being a pinecrest kid i cant say i am surprised by this lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Mack Brown back in town. Lots of money and impermissible benefits to offer recruits to decommit from opposing programs.
I bet you a pair of unc football cleats that mack is going after former Clemson qb Kelly Bryant. OFC

So projections have us in the Belk Bowl. You hearing anything surf?

Last edited:
walk-on independence bowl vs temple
temple went 8-4
lost first 2 games then got hot. losses were to villanova, bc, ucf and buffalo
wins included maryland, cincy, houston and their last game was a drubbing of uconn 57-7
good team that got better as the year went on. kinda opposite of us.
gonna be a tough game

Last edited:
walk-on independence bowl vs temple
temple went 8-4
lost first 2 games then got hot. losses were to villanova, bc, ucf and buffalo
wins included maryland, cincy, houston and their last game was a drubbing of uconn 57-7
good team that got better as the year went on. kinda opposite of us.
gonna be a tough game
No positives from playing Temple. If we lose, will be even more difficult to recruit. If, somehow, we win, well, it's Temple. I am still having trouble getting past 59-7 against Wake.

the problem a team like duke has with playing the bamas, clemsons and notre dames of the worlds is the injury/physical beat down aspect of these games. these teams are so deep that their 5th string guys were rated better than our starters. we may play with them for a half or so but the physical beat down we take lasts for weeks (ala clemson this year) nick saban once said look at the record of the teams they play the week after the game because bama beats you up so much that most teams really really struggle for a week or two after playing them and lose the follow up games.
our schedual next year is rough. bama, nd, nc a&t plus mid ten state. all winning programs.

the problem a team like duke has with playing the bamas, clemsons and notre dames of the worlds is the injury/physical beat down aspect of these games. these teams are so deep that their 5th string guys were rated better than our starters. we may play with them for a half or so but the physical beat down we take lasts for weeks (ala clemson this year) nick saban once said look at the record of the teams they play the week after the game because bama beats you up so much that most teams really really struggle for a week or two after playing them and lose the follow up games.
our schedual next year is rough. bama, nd, nc a&t plus mid ten state. all winning programs.
The Tide is our first game.

so next weekend will be a big weekend for football. most of our commitments plus recruits ron carr (OT) and anias smith (SLOT WR) will be at duke this weekend. huge to get them on campus together the week before the early signing day. so far the only one that has not confirmed he will be signing early is isaiah kemp (who also is not coming this weekend so far). if this is our only loss due to mac brown disease i guess thats okay IF thats whats happening. he has been the quietest of all our verbals and there really has been no info flow

Last edited:
Plus, I am thinking DJ does not stay another year. He graduates in December, so what has he got to gain by staying and plying behind our O line?

I really, really hope he goes pro. If not, I truly fear a grad transfer situation wherein some other team would take credit for him turning into a quality pro.

just a little fyi for you guys
we have 5 guys in the shrine bowl. jacob monk is getting huge praise and Bama asked if he would be interested in visiting. he said no. wants to turn duke into a football school. love this kid.(as i keep saying the rivals rating is a joke)
mac brown visited tony davis and was told no thanks.

just a little fyi for you guys
we have 5 guys in the shrine bowl. jacob monk is getting huge praise and Bama asked if he would be interested in visiting. he said no. wants to turn duke into a football school. love this kid.(as i keep saying the rivals rating is a joke)
mac brown visited tony davis and was told no thanks.

I love Davis turning down Mack more than Monk rejecting 'Bama.....Mack Brown is one of college football's biggest crooks of all time. He only turned UNC football around because he piggybacked the AFAM program started by Dean Smith.

#MackKnew

OFC

so the latest scuttlebutt
anyone else notice daniel jones still has not declared?
think gilbert and jgh are coming back. heard gilberts rehab going well but probably not ready at start of the season.
early enrollies are jaylen alexander, jacob monk, eli pancol, tony davis and darrell harding.
bowl game status jgh, cerenord, singleton, gilbert out. humphreys will play.

more scuttlebutt
gavin spurrier QB is coming but not on schollie (hmm just like daniel jones)
6'4'' 205 lbs senior year 69.5% completions 41 td vs 3 interceptions
team went undefeated and won class 5A kentucky state title vs the #1 overall team regardless of class
gavin went 17-30 for 237 and 2 tds. he ended up just outside the kentucky top 25 seniors list i saw but was in the 5 honorable mentions. also named to the ''best of the bluegrass'' all star game

more scuttlebutt
gavin spurrier QB is coming but not on schollie (hmm just like daniel jones)
6'4'' 205 lbs senior year 69.5% completions 41 td vs 3 interceptions
team went undefeated and won class 5A kentucky state title vs the #1 overall team regardless of class
gavin went 17-30 for 237 and 2 tds. he ended up just outside the kentucky top 25 seniors list i saw but was in the 5 honorable mentions. also named to the ''best of the bluegrass'' all star game

Jones came to Duke when Duke was without a scholarship but with the understanding that he would get one as soon as one became available. I believe it was Kelby Brown's final knee injury that opened up a scholarship, which was immediately given to Jones.

So, it's a bit misleading, IMO, to compare other walk-ons to Jones. The situations are just different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT