ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

8 in the transfer portal with 4 already committed, 4 declaring for NFL, 2 contemplating possibly declaring. I do not know how this compares to other teams losing a lot of their best players, but the "sinking ship" analogy may be appropriate.

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
8 in the transfer portal with 4 already committed, 4 declaring for NFL, 2 contemplating possibly declaring. I do not know how this compares to other teams losing a lot of their best players, but the "sinking ship" analogy may be appropriate.

OFC

"Sinking ship" I think is quite appropriate. OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
As long as Duke plays 2-3 patsies next year, the record will look similar to this year even though we know our standing in the ACC is falling. I think that's about the best we can expect for next year, maybe a 3 win season.

As long as Duke plays 2-3 patsies next year, the record will look similar to this year even though we know our standing in the ACC is falling. I think that's about the best we can expect for next year, maybe a 3 win season.
Very sad but very true. Just for starters, the defense will assuredly be way worse than last year because of our losses and recruiting, if that is even possible. We may even be fair game for some of the "patsies".

OFC

Well a little good news. 1st string C Jack Wohlabaugh says right now he plans to come back. He suffered a season ending injury early last year and hes badly needed on the OL.Devery Hamilton (OL) is also leaning toward returning. I have this eerie feeling Josh Blackwell (torn meniscus last year) is leaving, hope I am wrong.

OFC

Last edited:
reports on 247 today that hamilton will not be back.
update he is going to the nfl pro dat camp to be evaluated and see how that goes. not a portal thing

Last edited:
i kinda think everyone needs to calm down on the transfer portal stuff a bit. yes we have had 8 kids declare. two more have declared for the draft. so what? despite what some people think/want we do not ''own'' these kids. brice came in and was a bad pickup. i blame the coaches. he did not fit what we need/use for a qb. last year was miserable for him and he wants to go somewhere and have fun playing football again. maybe he doesnt want to read the forum threads that are calling him crap week after week. good for him. the only kid who has opted out who wasnt a senior was hill (lb) and he did not play this season. he is very good and we missed him but he quit on the team this year so let him go. driggers just did kick offs. all the other guys are seniors who gave us four years and maybe would like to go to less stressful academic schools or have huge football followings. playing at penn state or texas tech or msu is a completely different atmosphere than playing at the worst game day experience in college football that is duke. hell, we wouldnt even let their parents come to games. what a miserable year this must have been for these kids. if we start getting a number of jr and soph kids transferring then i will really worry.
FYI transfer totals as of today
bc 7, clemson 1, fsu 11, gtech 13. lville 10, miami 1, ncsu 7, unc 13, pitt 2, syr 8, uva 7, va tech 7, wake 3
we seem to be right in the pack.

i kinda think everyone needs to calm down on the transfer portal stuff a bit. yes we have had 8 kids declare. two more have declared for the draft. so what? despite what some people think/want we do not ''own'' these kids. brice came in and was a bad pickup. i blame the coaches. he did not fit what we need/use for a qb. last year was miserable for him and he wants to go somewhere and have fun playing football again. maybe he doesnt want to read the forum threads that are calling him crap week after week. good for him. the only kid who has opted out who wasnt a senior was hill (lb) and he did not play this season. he is very good and we missed him but he quit on the team this year so let him go. driggers just did kick offs. all the other guys are seniors who gave us four years and maybe would like to go to less stressful academic schools or have huge football followings. playing at penn state or texas tech or msu is a completely different atmosphere than playing at the worst game day experience in college football that is duke. hell, we wouldnt even let their parents come to games. what a miserable year this must have been for these kids. if we start getting a number of jr and soph kids transferring then i will really worry.
bc 7, clemson 1, fsu 11, gtech 13. lville 10, miami 1, ncsu 7, unc 13, pitt 2, syr 8, uva 7, va tech 7, wake 3

Sorry surf I won't "calm down" until I at least see a FINALIZED ROSTER for next year. I check the portal quite frequently as a Duke fan, because I am sure we will lose at least a couple kids who thrive elsewhere. Take for instance Brittain Brown, the ex Blue Devil RB
who transferred last year to UCLA..

Brittain AVERAGED SIX yds a carry this year, scored 5 tds in seven games. and ran for about 250 yds in their finale! Sure he stayed healthy, something he did not do at Duke. However could THE BRUINS training regimen have had something to do with his durability this year???? PERHAPS. Get this, hes staying ANOTHER YEAR at UCLA next season, and Bruin fans are bombarding him w/approval on twitter! Imagine him and Durant next year????!!!!

As for Chase Brice, I have ZERO SYMPATHY. He was basically given the qb job by default, while the rest of our qbs who Cut spent last summer raving about, were treated like redheaded stepchildren. Goodbye and Good riddance. Wish I could say the same to Kevin White and Cut too. Nothing wrong with UNC having 13 leave. They're winning and are loaded. So much talent that other kids are leaving to play elsewhere. Ours are leaving to desert a sinking ship. OFC

But, Surf, we are not blaming the kids for doing it. We are attributing their departures to the football coaching staff which has failed to create an atmosphere that would prompt them to stay. to many, the grass absolutely looks greener on the other side.

OFC

Sorry surf I won't "calm down" until I at least see a FINALIZED ROSTER for next year. I check the portal quite frequently as a Duke fan, because I am sure we will lose at least a couple kids who thrive elsewhere. Take for instance Brittain Brown, the ex Blue Devil RB
who transferred last year to UCLA..

Brittain AVERAGED SIX yds a carry this year, scored 5 tds in seven games. and ran for about 250 yds in their finale! Sure he stayed healthy, something he did not do at Duke. However could THE BRUINS training regimen have had something to do with his durability this year???? PERHAPS. Get this, hes staying ANOTHER YEAR at UCLA next season, and Bruin fans are bombarding him w/approval on twitter! Imagine him and Durant next year????!!!!

As for Chase Brice, I have ZERO SYMPATHY. He was basically given the qb job by default, while the rest of our qbs who Cut spent last summer raving about, were treated like redheaded stepchildren. Goodbye and Good riddance. Wish I could say the same to Kevin White and Cut too. Nothing wrong with UNC having 13 leave. They're winning and are loaded. So much talent that other kids are leaving to play elsewhere. Ours are leaving to desert a sinking ship. OFC
Preach on, Hart. Truth.

But, Surf, we are not blaming the kids for doing it. We are attributing their departures to the football coaching staff which has failed to create an atmosphere that would prompt them to stay. to many, the grass absolutely looks greener on the other side.

OFC

No doubt about it!!!! Kids cant be blamed.... OFC

in no way blaming the kids. just saying that sometimes after 4 years at a brutal academic place like duke you might want easier courses or fans in the stands. this is not blame. sometimes kids would like to enjoy the game of football. duke has spent the last 40 years looking down their nose at the city of durham so we dont have the same local following like wake in winston-salem. i know several people in med grad school at duke right now and not one of them has ever gone to a football game. pathetic. we are a long way from having a great game day football culture at duke if we ever get one. as for brown, do you ever think that it might be better living in LA with their weather and lifestyle? he also is on a team that averaged about 250 yds per game rushing which we wont be able to do. also if he was here do you really think that durant would have had this chance to grow? nope
i agree our coaching is an issue but the portal is a new reality we are going to have to learn to live with. over 1900 kids transferred last year and probably more than that will this year. if as a junior you are not on the 2 deep then look somewhere else. if as a senior grad you want to go play at a football school then go do it.
i guess i will really fire everybody up and say if we are unhappy that seniors are going elsewhere then how do we feel about the mercenaries that the bball team takes?
happy new year

Last edited:
Surf your comments are really thought provoking. I have also noticed the double standard between football and basketball but then again, football has no championships, final four appearances or regular national TV presence.

If only there were a young football Coach K out there.

Reactions: surfdevil
as for brown, he also is on a team that averaged about 250 yds per game rushing which we wont be able to do. also if he was here do you really think that durant would have had this chance to grow? nope

Fair point, Durant had a chance to grow. However thats peeling back an awful lot of clouds to find a silver lining in an otherwise HORRENDOUS and FORGETTABLE season. We can do much the same running the ball if we find a competent O-Line coach, and upgrade recruiting.

i agree our coaching is an issue but the portal is a new reality we are going to have to learn to live with. over 1900 kids transferred last year and probably more than that will this year. if as a junior you are not on the 2 deep then look somewhere else.

I am not worried about the 1900 kids transferring. I am more concerned with the ones leaving Duke.I am also concerned about the LOSING and DISSENSION thats causing them to leave Duke. Happy New Year! OFC
OFC

[If only there were a young football Coach K out there.
[/QUOTE]

There are, but if we were able to hire one, it would be virtually impossible to keep him if he turned out to be successful. First time the team went 8-4, every major opening would have his name tossed in the ring. And he’d go.

in no way blaming the kids. just saying that sometimes after 4 years at a brutal academic place like duke you might want easier courses or fans in the stands. this is not blame sometimes kids would like to enjoy the game of football. duke has spent the last 40 years looking down their nose at the city of durham so we dont have the same local following like wake in winston-salem. i know several people in med grad school at duke right now and not one of them has ever gone to a football game. pathetic. we are a long way from having a great game day football culture at duke if we ever get one. as for brown, do you ever think that it might be better living in LA with their weather and lifestyle? he also is on a team that averaged about 250 yds per game rushing which we wont be able to do. also if he was here do you really think that durant would have had this chance to grow? nope
i agree our coaching is an issue but the portal is a new reality we are going to have to learn to live with. over 1900 kids transferred last year and probably more than that will this year. if as a junior you are not on the 2 deep then look somewhere else. if as a senior grad you want to go play at a football school then go do it.
i guess i will really fire everybody up and say if we are unhappy that seniors are going elsewhere then how do we feel about the mercenaries that the bball team takes?
happy new year
Comparing Wake to Duke now is apples to oranges. Wake has a credible team. We do not. When Spurrier was the HC, there were fans in the stands. Home games against the Cheats had a majority of Duke fans. Wake has not been consistently as bad as Duke was in the early 2000's and is now. Why would intelligent fans pay to watch what we are putting on the field? Was either of the transfers from Holy Cross and Abilene Christian even recruited by Duke out of high school? The kid from Abilene Christian started only a handful of games during his 4 years there. So, the long and the short of it is that we got two more warm bodies. I admit I know nothing about either kid, but it seems like a waste of schollies to me. Hope I am dead wrong.

OFC

brian foley 6'4'' 314lb OG from holy cross commits today
2 time all patriot league
finalist schools after this portal kid were stanford, texas, vandy and duke
thats now 2 OG senior transfer kids we have gotten.
now lets get an OT or 2 and i will be happy

Good news especially given current status of our line and propensity of our lineman getting hurt...
We need to be active in the portal, because I fear more departures. OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
Comparing Wake to Duke now is apples to oranges. Wake has a credible team. We do not. When Spurrier was the HC, there were fans in the stands. Home games against the Cheats had a majority of Duke fans. Wake has not been consistently as bad as Duke was in the early 2000's and is now. Why would intelligent fans pay to watch what we are putting on the field? Was either of the transfers from Holy Cross and Abilene Christian even recruited by Duke out of high school? The kid from Abilene Christian started only a handful of games during his 4 years there. So, the long and the short of it is that we got two more warm bodies. I admit I know nothing about either kid, but it seems like a waste of schollies to me. Hope I am dead wrong.

OFC

Good points as always DI. We're now LIGHT YEARS from even having the stability of a program like Wake. Heck the truth of the matter is Ga Tech is even in better shape than us, and proved it resoundingly on the field.....You could be spot on about the incoming OL transfers. I hate to sound cynical, but "we're not going to run away from our problems, we will run to them" ( a Cutism) really got old this year. Down on the program right now, but Duke football is in my blood for life! OFC

Very well said, hart2chesson! I think the transfer portal is an ideal way to recruit offensive linemen because they tend to have the best grades of any position and they need several years to acquire the necessary muscle. Kansas State frees up scholarships by recruiting junior colleges. Duke can use transfers from quality colleges such as Holy Cross in the same way

Very well said, hart2chesson! I think the transfer portal is an ideal way to recruit offensive linemen because they tend to have the best grades of any position and they need several years to acquire the necessary muscle. Kansas State frees up scholarships by recruiting junior colleges. Duke can use transfers from quality colleges such as Holy Cross in the same way

ged thx and its been a real pleasure getting to know you here this year! Point well taken on the best route to find the more beefed up linemen!! OFC

Don't disagree with anything you said. Holy Cross is a quality Academic college for sure, but football, not so much. My point was that I cannot get excited about recruiting just anybody out of the transfer portal. I hope the Holy Cross kid turns out to be a diamond in the rough and not just a roster filler who can make his grades. So far, we do not know anything else about the kid except his size and that he may be smart. Why do we not get more transfers from BCS schools?

so the center of our o-line seems to be solid and deep (positions to be determined) LG casey holman 290 lbs, brian foley 314 lbs, caleb perez 310 lbs RG jacob monk 310 lbs, maurice mcintyre 330 lbs, kade parmelly 308 lbs C jack wohlabaugh 305lbs, elijah wroten 330lbs, addison penn 300lbs

while hart and i may not agree on the good/evil of the transfer portal (as a former college player i wish to hell it had been around in my day) i agree wholeheartedly with a statement he made earlier. i think the weight, strength and conditioning aspect of the program needs a hard hard look. why was rumph to small for 3 years? why has addo been 25-30 lbs overweight for 3 years? why were rak, wroten and mcintyre so huge (all at 330 or bigger) last year? why has frye been 30 lbs underweight for years? could BB have been better here if he had better strength and conditioning training? is that why he finally stayed healthy in a shortened season this year? just seem to be way to many questions in my mind. there is a fine line between adding just weight and good weight and i dont think duke has done it right for years now.

so the center of our o-line seems to be solid and deep (positions to be determined) LG casey holman 290 lbs, brian foley 314 lbs, caleb perez 310 lbs RG jacob monk 310 lbs, maurice mcintyre 330 lbs, kade parmelly 308 lbs C jack wohlabaugh 305lbs, elijah wroten 330lbs, addison penn 300lbs

while hart and i may not agree on the good/evil of the transfer portal (as a former college player i wish to hell it had been around in my day) i agree wholeheartedly with a statement he made earlier. i think the weight, strength and conditioning aspect of the program needs a hard hard look. why was rumph to small for 3 years? why has addo been 25-30 lbs overweight for 3 years? why were rak, wroten and mcintyre so huge (all at 330 or bigger) last year? why has frye been 30 lbs underweight for years? could BB have been better here if he had better strength and conditioning training? is that why he finally stayed healthy in a shortened season this year? just seem to be way to many questions in my mind. there is a fine line between adding just weight and good weight and i dont think duke has done it right for years now.

Thanks surf, and happy new year! Thats a tremendous and TRUE fact about that aspect of our program!!! Unfortunately most of our assts are from Duke Grad Asst U. We really don't address the size/weight, conditioning aspect NEARLY ENOUGH. OFC

brian foley 6'4'' 314lb OG from holy cross commits today
2 time all patriot league
finalist schools after this portal kid were stanford, texas, vandy and duke
thats now 2 OG senior transfer kids we have gotten.
now lets get an OT or 2 and i will be happy

Surf think the Foley (Holy Cross transfer) to Duke chances might be pretty tough.....Anything new today on his signing???

OFC

Thank you, hart2chesson! I have some ideas for Duke football that are unconventional. I'll post them sporadically until you tell me to stop. Love him or hate him, Bill Belichik is the greatest football mind in the world. He loves lacrosse. Duke has a great lacrosse program. I would let Belichik know that he is welcome to watch practice, draw up schemes for the lacrosse team, hold a lacrosse camp at Duke, anything that would help build a relationship with the man.

Then I would let him know that if he wanted a new challenge that he could be the football coach at Duke. He would almost certainly decline, but I bet that he would give the Duke coach the names of some bright and eager young coaches.

Just something to consider. Happy New Year

Thank you, hart2chesson! I have some ideas for Duke football that are unconventional. I'll post them sporadically until you tell me to stop. Love him or hate him, Bill Belichik is the greatest football mind in the world. He loves lacrosse. Duke has a great lacrosse program. I would let Belichik know that he is welcome to watch practice, draw up schemes for the lacrosse team, hold a lacrosse camp at Duke, anything that would help build a relationship with the man.

Then I would let him know that if he wanted a new challenge that he could be the football coach at Duke. He would almost certainly decline, but I bet that he would give the Duke coach the names of some bright and eager young coaches.

Just something to consider. Happy New Year

Hey I love creative thinking like that! You do a great job of thinking outside the box ged. Good stuff! One of Smartest moves made by former Duke AD Tom Butters was following up on a tip from Bobby Knight to hire some young guy named Krzyzewski.... OFC and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Reactions: surfdevil
Jeff Monken, the current football coach at West Point, is doing a great job. If he became head coach and friendly with Coach Krzyzewski, I imagine that meeting Coach K on a recruiting visit would be helpful. He runs the triple option, an offense I love.

Northwestern will finish the season in the top 10. They have an abundance of quick, undersized players on the defensive line. Someone on their staff has a good eye for talent. Should give Duke fans hope that you can win at a university that stresses academics

Don't want to start a new thread so I will just post on our football thread. As much as I would like to see a rubber game between Clemson and ND and an all ACC title game I just cannot pull for ND football unless they are playing cheater u. It still chaps me because of their refusal to be a part of ACC football but willing to take the money ACC basketball brought them. Just another blunder by johnny "tar heel" swofford. His days as ACC comish can't come to an end soon enough. Let's roll Tide. OFC

There should be term limits on many jobs. Conference Commissioner is a comfortable position. I've heard only good things about the new Commissioner from Northwestern. Seeing the Alabama RB, Harris, jump over the Notre Dame defender for a 40 yard gain was spectacular

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT