ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

What the hell, 1st down on the 18 yard line and 3 straight holding penalties, 2 throw away out of bounds. Twenty seconds left in the half and then take a knee. WHY, we had a time out left and only needed ten yards to be in field goal range, why take a knee!!!
OFC

well at least we only had 4 turnovers today lol. first quarter was the difference. actually outscored them 5 to 4 tds after spotting them 28. really really dont like the 3-3-5 defense we employed today. we just dont have the speed to the outside this d requires. they owned the edges all day and when our guys would anticipate it and lean to the outside they would go right up the middle. the kids could have folded but showed heart today i think.

Last edited:
Stephen Wiseman of the Raleigh News and Observer reports Cut will at least get another year to clean up the mess in Duke football. Wiseman acknowledges most schools would present a pink slip under such circumstances, but Duke is not such a place.

Its really sad with the legacy of the great Iron Duke teams, the coach Bill Murray years, an ACC title, and a Coastal title, Duke remains loyal to a man who has made the program a dumpster fire.
Will ANYTHING CHANGE? Will Kevin White force Cut to GIVE UP OC duties, and hire a young dynamic Spurrier type to lead the offense(and bring his own playbook????). Will Chase Brice be HANDED the qb job after a DREADFUL campaign as Duke signal caller? Will Holmberg and/or Diamont transfer? Keep your eyes and ears open, and LETS HOPE for at least SOME CHANGES!!!! (Watch that Duke transfer portal).

OFC

so it is starting quickly. marquise waters to portal. he was a bright light this year at safety. Don't know if he was coming back anyway because he is graduating. To me the best of both worlds, a duke degree then go somewhere to play real football

Last edited:
You know, the really sad thing about it is that Cut apparently cares only about Cut. He does not care about, or even acknowledge, the serious harm he is now doing to the Duke football program. Deja vu Mississippi all over again. He refuses to make needed personnel changes, or to even change his alleged system. If he had even a little bit of gratitude for what Duke has done for him, he would resign, rather than putting Duke players and fans through yet another disheartening, embarrassing season. He is going to put us through another year of hell with absolutely zero hope of improvement. This is mild. You do not want to know how I really feel.

OFC

You know, the really sad thing about it is that Cut apparently cares only about Cut. He does not care about, or even acknowledge, the serious harm he is now doing to the Duke football program. Deja vu Mississippi all over again. He refuses to make needed personnel changes, or to even change his alleged system. If he had even a little bit of gratitude for what Duke has done for him, he would resign, rather than putting Duke players and fans through yet another disheartening, embarrassing season. He is going to put us through another year of hell with absolutely zero hope of improvement. This is mild. You do not want to know how I really feel.

OFC

DI I can identify pal.....,Hes stealing a paycheck at this point....I am angry as well! OFC

DI and H2C, I agree that Cut should step down, but I can’t impugn his character or motives. I believe he truly cares about Duke, and I am grateful that he showed we could be competitive. Whether the game has passed him by, or he’s being too loyal to his assistant coaches who aren’t up to the task (which was supposedly why he got fired at Ol’ Miss), I don’t know, but either way it’s time for a change. I will say that the proverbial up and comer we’d all like to get will be on everyone’s short list if he comes in and does well. One good thing about Cut is that he could have left years ago for a lot more money after we had several winning seasons, but chose to stay, likely because he no longer aspired to get on the hot seat of the power programs. That won’t be the same for a young Turk.

Cut is going to end up leaving the program somehow worse than when he got here. It’s embarrassing bringing him back, go ahead and count on a small recruiting class as well. What an absolute joke

I share your theory and concern VERY MUCH!
well
cb's coach chris hampton leaving after one year to go back to tulane for the dc spot. congrats

also reports out there that jim phillips the northwestern ad to be the new acc conference head

Interesting about Hampton surf! I would love to know his true feelings about our program after being here this year.Btw, some other notes- please confirm what you can: Read where we offered a OL transfer from Holy Cross for next season.Also, the DL transfer we are picking up from Notre Dame- anything on his credentials?

Thx surf!!!! OFC

It was time for both Brice and Duke to move on. I wonder where he thinks he can play next year. It will tell us a lot where he lands and how he does next year.

Liftee if he doesnt have adequate protection from his O-Line, hes in trouble because he lacks mobility. I dont see a Power 5 school taking a chance on him, even though Dabo Swinney thinks he can play professionally. Yes, Cut fell for the story....OFC

viewing that bull city site, so far there are no shockers to me besides chase brice (who per 247 only told the coaches yesterday afternoon that he was transferring) who needed to go. never connected with the team. marquise waters, deon jackson, victor dimukege, drew jordan are all seniors and have given us 4 years of service with 2 bowl game wins. kinda seems per that tweet thread that bruce frye might be gone also. i cant really tell. if he is thank you for your effort if you are. too slow to be a P5 de and way to small to be a true dt. i think chris rumph is still declaring for the draft. probably a third day pick. none of these guys so far were being counted on for next year. i still think there will be more portal kids to come but right now nothing the coaches hadnt planned on being without, except brice.

Last edited:
viewing that bull city site, so far there are no shockers to me besides chase brice (who per 247 only told the coaches yesterday afternoon that he was transferring) who needed to go. never connected with the team. marquise waters, deon jackson, victor dimukege, drew jordan are all seniors and have given us 4 years of service with 2 bowl game wins. kinda seems per that tweet thread that bruce frye might be gone also. i cant really tell. if he is thank you for your effort if you are. too slow to be a P5 de and way to small to be a true dt. i think chris rumph is still declaring for the draft. probably a third day pick. none of these guys so far were being counted on for next year. i still think there will be more portal kids to come but right now nothing the coaches hadnt planned on being without, except brice.

Nice post, and I think there was a definite disconnect between Brice and the team. Furthermore per this tweet from Jacob Monk this morning, the team has perhaps supported someone else for qb the entire time:

Certainly I cant say if Monk was speaking for the team, but I think it probably reflects your theory. After all Gunnar has been there a couple years, rehabbed from an injury, and probably grown close with other team members.

Interesting Chase waited all the way up to yesterday afternoon to let coaches know. He had it planned in my way of thinking, and was probably surmising he could run up some decent numbers, some nice video vs a weak FSU defense for his next stop.I will have to check the thread again for the Ben Frye info. Thx for all the info! OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
Nice post, and I think there was a definite disconnect between Brice and the team. Furthermore per this tweet from Jacob Monk this morning, the team has perhaps supported someone else for qb the entire time:

Certainly I cant say if Monk was speaking for the team, but I think it probably reflects your theory. After all Gunnar has been there a couple years, rehabbed from an injury, and probably grown close with other team members.

Interesting Chase waited all the way up to yesterday afternoon to let coaches know. He had it planned in my way of thinking, and was probably surmising he could run up some decent numbers, some nice video vs a weak FSU defense for his next stop.I will have to check the thread again for the Ben Frye info. Thx for all the info! OFC

You're right. If Chase made it known earlier he was transferring he would not have played this past Saturday.

Here's my take: a QB comes in with a freshman class, all the linemen get behind him to be their guy, the coaching staff brings someone in from another school who tells stories about how great it was at a football school and does nothing on the field, the linemen are happy to see him go so their guy can get a chance. Maybe that's Monk's position.

yeah just to jump on liftee's comment, people forget he is a local kid who committed to us and was a DUKE FOOTBALL FAN. yes injuries sucked the life out his first 2 years but he was highly rated in high school (.8743 composite) and i cant wait for him to get a real shot after a spring and fall practice season. our qb room is going to be so athletic next year. gunnar, luca and the new guys of riley leonard and jordan moore are all so much more athletic than chase. chase was a square peg we tried to fit in a round hole. i think of him more as a dropback/ designed roll out passer than a read option guy. good kid but not what we needed.

An immobile, slow footed drop back passer and a less than mediocre offensive line...sounds like a 2 win season to me.

Always optimistic, perhaps an offense built around a mobile QB will work better with a subpar O line that can't maintain a pocket. It's worth a try.

Reactions: hart2chesson
i mean he was a senior. victor was a senior. derrick is a senior. marquis was a senior. they were never in next years plans. rumph will be gone to nfl draft and also frye i would assume is leaving per ben alberts tweet in that bull city thread. we were looking at this all year pre covid. they were seniors and gone. if they are getting an extra year due to covid then i wish them well. they gave us 4 years and 2 bowl victories. find a landing spot where the administration and the fans support football and enjoy your final year guys!!!!!! go look at my dl breakdown last page and none of these kids is on the list. the only one i had hope for was that maybe drew jordan might put on 20 lbs and come back but oh well. if we get one more de/dt either verbally or as a transfer then we will have a big and properly sized 3 deep on the dl and i dont ever remember that before. ben albert needs to coach them up.
the one that i really regret was brandon hill lb. he announced his portal transfer earlier in the season so people have forgotten about him. that really set us back this year to lose an all-acc potential kid this year at a HUGE spot like lb.
also dont forget about chris at qb going to the portal. the brice affect keeps giving

Reactions: hart2chesson
just fyi everyone 247 actually has a transfer portal section in their recruiting section
as of right now these are the portal totals
bc 3, clemson 1, fsu 8, ga tech 13, miami 1, ncsu 5, nd 5, unc 9, pitt 1, syr 6, uva 5, va tech 3, ville 19 and wake at 3
we are just middle of the road and i bet the bowl teams totals go up soon

the one that i really regret was brandon hill lb. he announced his portal transfer earlier in the season so people have forgotten about him. that really set us back this year to lose an all-acc potential kid this year at a HUGE spot like lb.
also dont forget about chris at qb going to the portal. the brice affect keeps giving

Brandon Hill had some really good games at Duke in '19, and yes his loss had a big impact this year. We really missed him and could have used him at LB. Having him might have won us a couple more games. He was THAT good, and of course he opted out before the season started. I look for more transfers, and the future to further cloud before it gets better at Methodist Flats.

OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
Speaking of the future further clouding,Duke AD Kevin White gave Cut a ringing endorsement today. He told Steve Wiseman of the Raleigh N&O our head coach is definitely keeping that title for next year.

Seems to me White bought into Cut's sell of Covid limited spring practice and preseason camp, as well as Duke's ability to stay healthy in a pandemic. White also lauded Cut's emphasis on academics, citing fb team's high grad rate.

All those factors above are priorities of course, but at some point there needs to be accountability for W's and L's. Its not what I was hoping to hear, but expected it. White's contract comes up for renewal BEFORE Cut's, and I think White will take the easy way out. He'll leave it to his successor to try and fix football.

OFC

so everyone has signed but tobin in the class. not worried about tobin since he is cali kid and expect him to sign soon.
PS tobins now in.

Good news is scarce about Duke Football these days surf. So far, its a GOOD DAY! Thx pal! #GoDuke

OFC

What was White going to say? I didn't see anything about an extension in the quote Hart. So we'll be OK. Eventually.

Kevin White's response is a MASSIVE INSULT to anyone WHO TRULY CARES about Duke Football. I certainly didnt expect an extension for Cut, and as you noted he did not receive one. Iron Dukes WOULD HAVE SLAMMED HIM for such a move.

White IMO, should have at least said something along the lines of "We need to see a better product on the field, our fans deserve it." David Cutcliffe is the most babied coach in all of college football. He can FURTHER RUN THE PROGRAM DOWNWARD between now and next year.Its only going to make the rebuilding job MORE DIFFICULT for his successor! Yes perhaps "EVENTUALLY."

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT