ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Here is the kind of kid I think Duke could do things with. TJ had Duke on his list at one point. He may be a little undersized but he won't be outworked by anybody. I believe last year he had scores passing, rushing, receiving, INT return, fumble return, KO return and punt return. He was also the punter. Was named to the NC Shrine Bowl team. Also great in the classroom.

Here is the kind of kid I think Duke could do things with. TJ had Duke on his list at one point. He may be a little undersized but he won't be outworked by anybody. I believe last year he had scores passing, rushing, receiving, INT return, fumble return, KO return and punt return. He was also the punter. Was named to the NC Shrine Bowl team. Also great in the classroom.

Agree smash! Good post. OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
so just looking at the roster for next year as of today
OT
devery hamilton sr (still on roster thru pro day) graham barton soph, patrick leitten sr, john gelotte rsoph, peace addo jr, ron carr soph, justin pickett frosh.
DE
ahmad craig , rj oben, caleb oppan, michael reese and incoming freshman aaron hall and mandela tobin as either dt/de
DT
gary smith, dewayne carter, aeneas peebles, christian rorie and transfer ja'mon franklin. ben frye is still on roster as of right now.
looks to me like a DE or DT is needed and if frye ends up leaving i would like to see tobin to DT and 2 DE kids
also think an OT might be good to have on the hook. devery and peace are two i would watch. devery because of nfl and peace just because he wont get in shape and hasnt broken into the 2 man rotation yet. DROP 30 DAMMIT

Last edited:
so just looking at the roster for next year as of today
OT
devery hamilton sr (still on roster thru pro day) graham barton soph, patrick leitten sr, john gelotte rsoph, peace addo jr, ron carr soph, justin pickett frosh.
DE
ahmad craig , rj oben, caleb oppan, michael reese and incoming freshman aaron hall and mandela tobin as either dt/de
DT
gary smith, dewayne carter, aeneas peebles, christian rorie and transfer ja'mon franklin. ben frye is still on roster as of right now.
looks to me like a DE or DT is neede and if frye ends up leaving i would like to see tobin to DT and 2 DE kids
also think an OT might be good to have on the hook. devery and peace are two i would watch. devery because of nfl and peace just because he wont get in shape and hasnt broken into the 2 man rotation yet. DROP 30 DAMMIT

Thanks for all this terrific info surf! OFC

so the center of our o-line seems to be solid and deep (positions to be determined) LG casey holman 290 lbs, brian foley 314 lbs, caleb perez 310 lbs RG jacob monk 310 lbs, maurice mcintyre 330 lbs, kade parmelly 308 lbs C jack wohlabaugh 305lbs, elijah wroten 330lbs, addison penn 300lbs

while hart and i may not agree on the good/evil of the transfer portal (as a former college player i wish to hell it had been around in my day) i agree wholeheartedly with a statement he made earlier. i think the weight, strength and conditioning aspect of the program needs a hard hard look. why was rumph to small for 3 years? why has addo been 25-30 lbs overweight for 3 years? why were rak, wroten and mcintyre so huge (all at 330 or bigger) last year? why has frye been 30 lbs underweight for years? could BB have been better here if he had better strength and conditioning training? is that why he finally stayed healthy in a shortened season this year? just seem to be way to many questions in my mind. there is a fine line between adding just weight and good weight and i dont think duke has done it right for years now.
And Cut has been bragging for years about the alleged quality of his conditioning program.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't know about y'all, but two teams I was really impressed by yesterday were Cinncy and NW. One might assume that they just must have better players. Not necessarily so. Having retired this year and with nothing to do right now, I took a look at Rivals' average star ratings for their recruits compared to ours over the last 5 years. This is what I found: 2017 - Duke 2.91, Cinncy 2.73, NW 2.84; 2018 - Duke 3.00, Cinncy 2.91, NW 2.94; 2019 - Duke 2.91, Cinncy 2.58, NW 2.95; 2020 - Duke 2.88, Cinncy 2.95 , NW 3.06; 2021 - Duke 2.83, Cinncy 2.68, NW 3.07. It boggles my mind that Duke has recruited better players than Cinncy every year but one and that Duke is not that far below NW. Cinncy played UGA even, and NW beat the crap out of Auburn. I do not know how much of Cinncy's and NW's success yesterday, if any, was attributable to transfers; but most of the huge gap which exists between their football programs and Duke's, in my mind, results primarily from clearly inferior coaching and not from recruiting.

OFC

Last edited:
The Northwestern coach is clearly a rising star. I follow NW closely because they are equal to Duke academically and I must assume are recruiting the same players as Duke. We should be following the same path as they are.

Keep in mind that we played NW a few times and (without looking it up) lost some but one at least once. Now we're not in the same ballpark.

I don't know about y'all, but two teams I was really impressed by yesterday were Cinncy and NW. One might assume that they just must have better players. Not necessarily so. Having retired this year and with nothing to do right now, I took a look at Rivals' average star ratings for their recruits compared to ours over the last 5 years. This is what I found: 2017 - Duke 2.91, Cinncy 2.73, NW 2.84; 2018 - Duke 3.00, Cinncy 2.91, NW 2.94; 2019 - Duke 2.91, Cinncy 2.58, NW 2.95; 2020 - Duke 2.88, Cinncy 2.95 , NW 3.06; 2021 - Duke 2.83, Cinncy 2.68, NW 3.07. It boggles my mind that Duke has recruited better players than Cinncy every year but one and that Duke is not that far below NW. Cinncy played UGA even, and NW beat the crap out of Auburn. I do not know how much of Cinncy's and NW's success yesterday, if any, was attributable to transfers; but most of the huge gap which exists between their football programs and Duke's, in my mind, results primarily from clearly inferior coaching and not from recruiting.

OFC

Proves CLEAR LACK of "DEVELOPMENT" of players at Duke in recent years DI....Great research by the way.... OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
The Northwestern coach is clearly a rising star. I follow NW closely because they are equal to Duke academically and I must assume are recruiting the same players as Duke. We should be following the same path as they are.

Keep in mind that we played NW a few times and (without looking it up) lost some but one at least once. Now we're not in the same ballpark.

Yeah Pat Fitzgerald does have a definite plan in recruiting. However, its his development of kids which cause his NW teams to frequently pop up higher on national radar than Duke.OFC

Yeah Pat Fitzgerald does have a definite plan in recruiting. However, its his development of kids which cause his NW teams to frequently pop up higher on national radar than Duke.OFC

Now Fitzgerald has been EXTREMELY LOYAL to NW. It proves YOU CAN get a coach of his quality, and KEEP HIM when bigger programs come calling...., OFC

Fitzgerald is a Northwestern alum. That helps. They were last in the BIG 10 a year or two ago
Yea, they had a really bad year in 2019, but in 2020 they were 7 -2 overall, 6 -2 in the Big Ten and West Div first place; in 2018 they were 9 - 5 and 5 - 2 in Big 10; in 2017 10 - 3 and 6-2. They have not strung together embarrassing seasons. I don't know that being an NW alum makes him a better coach. Didn't help in 2019.

OFC

Last edited:
Duke has played Northwestern twenty times in football. Ten wins and ten losses. Duke won the last two games in 2017 and 2018

I'm a horrible writer. Fitzgerald is a wonderful coach. I went to the trouble of looking up Northwestern's record against Duke. Cuttcliffe is a good coach, but the program is sinking. Some fabulous assistants, or a complete change is needed

I'm a horrible writer. Fitzgerald is a wonderful coach. I went to the trouble of looking up Northwestern's record against Duke. Cuttcliffe is a good coach, but the program is sinking. Some fabulous assistants, or a complete change is needed

You're a darn GREAT writer ged!!! However you are so right about "complete change needed" for Duke football staff! Cut definitely showed some good coaching qualities over '13-'15, but has shown no flexibility for change over last five years.....Indeed change is overdue... OFC

Howell for UNC has the neck strength of a hyena. He takes shots that would put most QBs on the bench and pops up every time.

ged you know me, I am a straight shooter on my thoughts, opinions, etc. I despise Carolina, but I really admire and respect the incredible abilities of Sam Howell. I was really glad to see UNC lose, but I think Howell has the best upside of any college qb to play at the next level. He should be a favorite for next year's Heisman. Best pure passer I have seen in ACC since Duke's Ben Bennett. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Assante, the LB who replaced Surratt tonight, was fantastic. I wonder why he didn't play more this season

True Surratt was not missed. UNC did miss those RBs however. They might have won had those guys played. Put it this way, I don't think they would have been outscored 21-0 down the stretch.

I understand the new culture of sitting out a bowl game if you're a pro prospect. Still doesnt mean I have to like it. Thats the PURIST in me of the old days when a Jeff Saturday or LT would have played in the Orange Bowl despite the big money days ahead in the pros. There's no "I" in
"TEAM." OFC

True Surratt was not missed. UNC did miss those RBs however. They might have won had those guys played. Put it this way, I don't think they would have been outscored 21-0 down the stretch.

I understand the new culture of sitting out a bowl game if you're a pro prospect. Still doesnt mean I have to like it. Thats the PURIST in me of the old days when a Jeff Saturday or LT would have played in the Orange Bowl despite the big money days ahead in the pros. There's no "I" in
"TEAM." OFC
I do not understand surratt sitting out I don't even think he makes a NFL team. His brother sit out the whole year at Wake.

Sagarin has Duke FB ranked 109 this year (and last in the ACC, even behind Syracuse). Even factoring in a skewed data base due to incomplete seasons, this is pretty abysmal.

Sagarin has Duke FB ranked 109 this year (and last in the ACC, even behind Syracuse). Even factoring in a skewed data base due to incomplete seasons, this is pretty abysmal.
Abysmal yes, but not surprising at all. I am surprised that we are ranked as high as 109 overall. Cannot wait to hear Cut expound on haw fast this team is and what good shape they are in.😎

OFC

Most of the teams below us are AA teams, many of which did not even play a game this year. We’re the lowest ranked Power 5 team, I believe. Brings back bad memories of the Goldsmith, Franks, Roof eras, where we lived in the bottom 10 parody rankings.

I was wrong. Vandy is ranked 120 and Kansas is ranked 127. And we would barely edge Princeton (at 112) for highest ranked Ivy team.

I was wrong. Vandy is ranked 120 and Kansas is ranked 127. And we would barely edge Princeton (at 112) for highest ranked Ivy team.

Jeffrey its probably why AD Kevin White and Cut have Kansas on the schedule next year! I am not even counting Kansas as a win although we should be favored.
Abysmal yes, but not surprising at all. I am surprised that we are ranked as high as 109 overall. Cannot wait to hear Cut expound on haw fast this team is and what good shape they are in.😎

OFC

No doubt DI!! Following spring practice, Cut will go into his annual propaganda spiel about our strong team depth, and his obligatory "this is the most talent we've had since I've been here!!!"

OFC

Another transfer blow today. 6'2" 185 pd wide out Dennis Smith entered the portal. Kid's just a sophomore, and displayed some talent and good hands this year. Dennis caught 16 balls in 2020 in 7 games for 235 yards, 1 TD, and a long of 44 yds.Can't blame him for going elsewhere for more PT. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT