ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Those would be upgrades over some of the teams we schedule.

Thats really about the truth...Three out of last 5 seasons have been losing campaigns. The two years we squeaked into bottom-tier bowls '(17, '18) were enabled by enough cupcake type wins and just enough conference wins to get us there...AD Kevin White and Cut have tinkered enough w/schedule to make folks think Duke had turned the corner. Nothing but "Fool's Gold" in reality, as we truly learned this year.

OFC

OFC

Thats really about the truth...Three out of last 5 seasons have been losing campaigns. The two years we squeaked into bottom-tier bowls '(17, '18) were enabled by enough cupcake type wins and just enough conference wins to get us there...AD Kevin White and Cut have tinkered enough w/schedule to make folks think Duke had turned the corner. Nothing but "Fool's Gold" in reality, as we truly learned this year.

OFC

OFC
Not only that, but some of those teams are so bad that they provide nothing to help us get ready for legit competitors.

that was the thought but he put out on twitter today that he had signed an agent so.....
he has already been in college for 5 years so i get it.
hopefully we are looking at the portal for an OT that can pass block as well as run block. i see UDF in his future

Last edited:
Sad to inform our Duke football fans that former Coach Red Wilson has passed away at 95 years old. No further details right now. OFC

Thx for posting Sky!!! Sad time for us OFC's who remember Red on the sidelines in Durham '79-'82. Red was hired to replace Mike McGee who was fired after 8 years. Red's first two teams only won two games in each season. Then he did something no Duke fb coach had done since Bill Murray: post back to back winning seasons of 6-5 in '81-'82.He was fired under controversial circumstances, but most Duke fans NEVER FORGOT, AND NEVER STOPPED LOVING RED WILSON!!!R.I.P. coach, God bless you and your family!

OFC

Thx for posting Sky!!! Sad time for us OFC's who remember Red on the sidelines in Durham '79-'82. Red was hired to replace Mike McGee who was fired after 8 years. Red's first two teams only won two games in each season. Then he did something no Duke fb coach had done since Bill Murray: post back to back winning seasons of 6-5 in '81-'82.He was fired under controversial circumstances, but most Duke fans NEVER FORGOT, AND NEVER STOPPED LOVING RED WILSON!!!R.I.P. coach, God bless you and your family!

OFC
His wife Katie passed away just last week also. They were both living at Twin Lakes Center a retirement home in Burlington. He was a very kind and nice man. I didn't know him personally but growing up in Elon I would run into him from time to time and he would make you feel like you knew him personally. OFC

Duke has offered Brown University (yep I know, Ivy League) grad transfer Scott Boylan. He does have tremendous speed and can play wideout and running back. Brown also used him effectively as a kick and punt returner. Only other offers I know of so far:Western Carolina, Campbell and Central Conn. Still the kid can motor, runs a 10.7 100.

OFC

Speed is wonderful in football. You can't win without speed. Always give the fast man a chance. Particularly if he has an Ivy League Degree
Yea, right. Let's fill up our roster with Ivy League and minor league (Colgate and Abilene Christian) players. Great path to success. Let's keep our scholies open for promising players who can help us for more than one season. Can't really be excited because a player from that football powerhouse, Brown, has condescended to play for Duke. I'm Just sayin'.

OFC

Yea, right. Let's fill up our roster with Ivy League and minor league (Colgate and Abilene Christian) players. Great path to success. Let's keep our scholies open for promising players who can help us for more than one season. Can't really be excited because a player from that football powerhouse, Brown, has condescended to play for Duke. I'm Just sayin'.

OFC

Cannot dispute it DI.....We do have academic prestige for grad transfers, but REALISTICALLY what can we offer them in the way of our football program???

1/Playing time-YES

2/ Further development of skills-NO

3/A WINNING PROGRAM-NO

4/A chance to really get noticed by NFL-NO

5/GREAT GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE at home-NO

As the program continues to spiral downward, quality of incoming recruits and transfers takes a dive......Cutcliffe do us a favor and leave already!!!!! OFC

Cannot dispute it DI.....We do have academic prestige for grad transfers, but REALISTICALLY what can we offer them in the way of our football program???

1/Playing time-YES

2/ Further development of skills-NO

3/A WINNING PROGRAM-NO

4/A chance to really get noticed by NFL-NO

5/GREAT GAMEDAY EXPERIENCE at home-NO

As the program continues to spiral downward, quality of incoming recruits and transfers takes a dive......Cutcliffe do us a favor and leave already!!!!! OFC
Boylan received only one offer, Brown; and he was a 0-star recruit. So, why did we offer him? The Transfer Portal lists innumerable players from big time schools. Why are we reduced to offering players like Boylan? Could it be because they do not want to risk their futures on Cut's program?

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Boylan received only one offer, Brown; and he was a 0-star recruit. So, why did we offer him? The Transfer Portal lists innumerable players from big time schools. Why are we reduced to offering players like Boylan? Could it be because they do not want to risk their futures on Cut's program?

OFC

DI you answered your own question! They do "not want to risk their futures on Cut's program."Its pretty obvious we've given up as well on bigger names from Power 5 schools.Cut's going to ride the money train the next 2 seasons...No staff changes so far either...

OFC

so a bunch of blah coaching changes announced today.
calvin magee is new to staff and named rb coach.
boyette to wr coach and co-0ffensive coordinator
faris to qb coach and the other coordinator.
zach roper to te coach
trooper taylor off the offensive side and now cb coach
kirk benedict to special teams coordinator
greg frey now offensive recruiting coordinator
lanier goethie now defensive recruiting coordinator
still no real OC so i guess cut will call the same 6 plays next year

Last edited:
so a bunch of blah coaching changes announced today.
calvin magee is new to staff and named rb coach.
boyette to wr coach and co-0ffensive coordinator
faris to qb coach and the other coordinator.
zach roper to te coach
trooper taylor off the offensive side and now cb coach
kirk benedict to special teams coordinator
greg frey now offensive recruiting coordinator
lanier goethie now defensive recruiting coordinator
still no OC so i guess cut will call the same 6 plays next year
looks like he just rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic.. I had hoped for more real changes. Oh well.

looks like he just rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic.. I had hoped for more real changes. Oh well.
you have a wonderful way with words, bro'.

OFC

Sums it up perfectly.....Wholesale changes????
No way.....Just a lot of card shuffling by Cutcliffe to make ONE THINK he's making big changes. Its virtually the SAME STAFF, SIMPLY ROTATED. No firings on a TWO WIN TEAM????? Ridiculous.One inconsequential hire of a running backs coach-and hes been everywhere from here to Kalamazoo. This kind of stubbornness led to Cut's firing of course at Ole Miss. He wouldnt unload his staff. Of course our AD doesnt care about football....

Don't be fooled into thinking Cut giving up OC role is a big deal either. Its Cut's playbook, the one which never changes. Defenses will continue to jam the box, and dare us to throw downfield.
Grade on Cut's changes: D minus. OFC

Hart, I want you to be sitting down when you read this. This is a quote from Cut: "I think the play-calling itself, I mean, if we honestly critique this, I don't think that was ever really our problem...." I got on you a while ago for inferring that Cut was not mentally all there. I was wrong. If he does not think there was a problem with his play-calling, he belongs in a loony bin. You have given numerous examples of bonehead plays Cut and Zac Roper have called.

Last edited:
There was an article on the site where the Cut interview was located, Fan Nation, where the writer tracked Duke's football recruiting where Duke offered a player who also had an offer from other schools. In those cases, 13 chose UNX instead of Duke, 7 out of 8 chose State over Duke, and the picture was equally as bleak against any other ACC school except Wake, which Duke beat out more than 50%. Duke's failure to get guys being offered by other big conference schools really tells part of the story of why we are where we are. i don't know the rule about links so I won't try to do one.

Hart, I want you to be sitting down when you read this. This is a quote from Cut: "I think the play-calling itself, I mean, if we honestly critique this, I don't think that was ever really our problem...." I got on you a while ago for inferring that Cut was not mentally all there. I was wrong. If he does not think there was a problem with his play-calling, he belongs in a loony bin. You have given numerous examples of bonehead plays Cut and Zac Roper have called.

DI thx. I have not seen that quote. Yeah, its amazing isnt it???? Thats his stubbornness shining thru as well, because those are the same plays all of our OC's have run for years. Cut's playbook. He refuses to get a sharp, young OC
to bring in HIS OWN FRESH NEW SYSTEM..... OFC

What makes you think the next AD will care about football? The Duke dedication to football always is fragile. I think White cared about football but wasn't about to make waves in a Pandemic year and his last 6 months on the job.

The next AD will have a huge job. Hiring K's successor (as if K himself won't have the biggest vote) and hiring a new football coach. At least the women's coach looks like she'll be there for a while.

Reactions: hart2chesson
What makes you think the next AD will care about football? The Duke dedication to football always is fragile. I think White cared about football but wasn't about to make waves in a Pandemic year and his last 6 months on the job.

The next AD will have a huge job. Hiring K's successor (as if K himself won't have the biggest vote) and hiring a new football coach. At least the women's coach looks like she'll be there for a while.

Lift you're right. However, as I told @surfdevil we do have HOPE at least. White did us a grave disservice keeping David Cutcliffe around.A NEW AD SHOULD CARE that he or she is inheriting a football program that is the laughingstock of the ACC. I am going to remain OPTIMISTIC about the transition to White's successor.

I think part of the reason White retired is because he didn’t want to be the one to fire (or nudge into retirement) Cutcliffe. The new AD won’t feel so restrained. I think Cut has one more year and that’s it.

Lift you're right. However, as I told @surfdevil we do have HOPE at least. White did us a grave disservice keeping David Cutcliffe around.A NEW AD SHOULD CARE that he or she is inheriting a football program that is the laughingstock of the ACC. I am going to remain OPTIMISTIC about the transition to White's successor.

Hart, as I have said often before, I admire your passion for Duke football. However, I fear you overestimate the amount of attention the Duke administration gives to football. I suspect the next AD will care less about football, less than White did, unless some heavy donors threaten to pull their support from Duke. They will not even notice if I made that threat.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Assuming that donors don't pull their support, how much more revenue would Duke earn by having an 8 wins per year program compared to a 3 win team?

Assuming that donors don't pull their support, how much more revenue would Duke earn by having an 8 wins per year program compared to a 3 win team?
It would be a little bit like turning the Queen Mary, but if we were a perennial 8 wins team, you’d see fans showing up at WW (and traveling to bowl games), more football-related merchandise sold and more donations by happy alumni. That all drops to the bottom line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT