ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

I saw the score and was like, at least they played them close. Then I saw VT was without 21 players today. Holy shit we are not very good.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I saw the score and was like, at least they played them close. Then I saw VT was without 21 players today. Holy shit we are not very good.
meh not really giving them this. they had 23 out against ncsu and crushed them. yes they were missing their top 4 cb's, but we were missing our top 2 cb's plus our starting safety in lummie young. with the six open schollies, gilbert, blackwell, jack w and young out you could say we were 10 players short plus any others that did not play today.

Hung in there better than I thought they would, but our Devils, just can't seem to close the deal. As bad as Chase and offense were first half, there was significant improvement by the unit in 2nd half. Unfortunately our defense was so worn out from being on field 1st half, they were sucking wind 2nd half.

A tight 10-7 Hokie halftime led to plenty of offensive fireworks 2nd half. Unfortunately Tech just seemed to flip a switch WHEN IT HAD TO, and Duke lost 38-31. 0-4 now, and Cut and Duke have some really hard questions to answer and some serious soul searching.Does this team know HOW TO WIN??? Does this team EXPECT TO LOSE? Does this team WANT TO WIN BADLY ENOUGH????

Also, lets face it- Cut's no spring chicken, is the burden of being OC AND HEAD COACH TOO MUCH FOR HIM? Really sick of losing these games, and we should be NO WORSE than 2-2 right now. Oh well its on to Syracuse next Saturday, and we'll find out how badly this Duke team wants to avenge the Orange embarrassment of us last year at Duke.....

OFC

When you know the opponent is going to run the ball and you can't stop it it's pretty sad.
two problems with this. i have been saying all season that when we run into a big veteran offensive line we are in trouble because we are so undersized. when 300 hits 260 over the course of a game the 300 lb guy wins in the fourth quarter 99 out of 100 times. with brown leaving late and tahj getting dismissed this fall, our dline depth and size took huge hits. if you want to be upset with someone, i am still trying to figure out why cut left 6 open schollies and didnt fill them with veteran grad transfers. since he chose not to, we have small veterans to lead our bigger true frosh who are getting better but are still learning.
victor 6'3'' 265 lb de
drew 6'2'' 270 lb de
rumph 6'4'' 235 lb de
all these guys have talent but they are either to short or to light to set the edge against the run all game.
tangelo 6'2'' 310 dt
frye 6'3'' 255 lb de
when you are a power 5 program and you are having to start a 255 lb dt you are in big trouble. we have to play who we have so it is not going to get better. i think the book is out. run it at us and we wear out simply because of size.
nd 178 yds rushing
bc 84 yds
uva 188 yds
va tech 324 yds

Virginia Tech had their starting QB back today. Except for the secondary, the 21 missing players weren't expected to be contributors

Reactions: surfdevil
The point about defensive line depth is very important. A grad transfer or two would make a world of difference. The reason UNC beat BC today is because of a defensive lineman named Ray Vohasek. He went to Junior College because he didn't have any D-1 offers. He actually had good high school grades. He's not the greatest athlete, but he is relentless. He was the best defensive lineman in the game. He is the type of player Duke needs to find

Early today, Georgia State and Coastal Carolina were on TV. Georgia State took ECU to the woodshed! There were plenty of players from Coastal and Georgia State who would start at every ACC school except Clemson and Notre Dame. I would rather be a preferred walkon at Duke with a financial aid package than a scholarship player at Coastal.

Calls for Cut's dismissal are only mounting up on Blue Devil social media!!! I agree, hes too old and now the program is back in Roof/Franks mode!

OFC

i watched the second half after recording it on double speed. There were so many passes poorly thrown by Brice. He's just not an accurate passer. At least the running game saw signs of life. Other than that I agree with the comments above. I don't see a win on the schedule this year.

i watched the second half after recording it on double speed. There were so many passes poorly thrown by Brice. He's just not an accurate passer. At least the running game saw signs of life. Other than that I agree with the comments above. I don't see a win on the schedule this year.
he does miss a lot of throws high but i dont think our receivers help him sometimes. the interception throw was high but the receiver had hands on it without jumping but deflected it up for a db to get. as the announcers said that ball should be caught. the biggest play of the game to me was when we recovered the va tech fumble and had all the momentum. first down they stuff a run. second down, he hit deon jackson square in the bread basket on a slant where there was no defender in sight and deon dropped it. just dropped it. he could have picked up good yardage and we were ramping up the pressure on the va tech defense but instead of a big pass play we had 3rd and 10 and the oline let them in for a sack. momentum gone and d back out on field with no rest. at our talent level we have to take advantage when we can. we let them off the hook.

I don't know if you guys watch Daniel Jones play but he's going through a lot of the same thing. Doesn't have a running game to speak of, and gets no help from his receivers if the throw is slightly off but catchable. The Brice throws I thought of were short throws that don't let the receiver catch in stride, that are behind or beyond the reach of the receiver. It still starts with the lines, the offensive line can't move people off the ball and the defensive line tires too easily because they are to small.

he does miss a lot of throws high but i dont think our receivers help him sometimes. the interception throw was high but the receiver had hands on it without jumping but deflected it up for a db to get. as the announcers said that ball should be caught. the biggest play of the game to me was when we recovered the va tech fumble and had all the momentum. first down they stuff a run. second down, he hit deon jackson square in the bread basket on a slant where there was no defender in sight and deon dropped it. just dropped it. he could have picked up good yardage and we were ramping up the pressure on the va tech defense but instead of a big pass play we had 3rd and 10 and the oline let them in for a sack. momentum gone and d back out on field with no rest. at our talent level we have to take advantage when we can. we let them off the hook.

Excellent synopsis on that sequence surf! Told the whole story. You want to get the ball to your backs in space, and wow did DJ have it if he simply catches the ball..... OFC

I don't know if you guys watch Daniel Jones play but he's going through a lot of the same thing. Doesn't have a running game to speak of, and gets no help from his receivers if the throw is slightly off but catchable. The Brice throws I thought of were short throws that don't let the receiver catch in stride, that are behind or beyond the reach of the receiver. It still starts with the lines, the offensive line can't move people off the ball and the defensive line tires too easily because they are to small.

Good points Liftee, and I especially like what you said about the trenches. One reason now IMHO we were all so sold on Chase from the start was the O-Line he had at Clemson. It made him look good because he had time to throw, thus really masking his lack of mobility to scramble well.Chase is one of the slower signal callers we've had in a while, and mixed with a weak o-line is a recipe for failure.

Hopefully the adjustments made at halftime Saturday will be sustained at Syracuse. The offense was much more effective vs Va Tech 2nd half..... OFC

Reactions: Liftee
meh not really giving them this. they had 23 out against ncsu and crushed them. yes they were missing their top 4 cb's, but we were missing our top 2 cb's plus our starting safety in lummie young. with the six open schollies, gilbert, blackwell, jack w and young out you could say we were 10 players short plus any others that did not play today.

The "six open schollies" really bothers me surf. I saw a quote attributed to Cut after the game referencing not having enough players this year. It goes back to what you mentioned about "why werent those spots filled?" Geez if you cant recruit 'em, its not that difficult to go to the grad transfer route.....Still it never seems to stop Cut from gushing in preseason about our solid depth at various positions.....OFC

The "six open schollies" really bothers me surf. I saw a quote attributed to Cut after the game referencing not having enough players this year. It goes back to what you mentioned about "why werent those spots filled?" Geez if you cant recruit 'em, its not that difficult to go to the grad transfer route.....Still it never seems to stop Cut from gushing in preseason about our solid depth at various positions.....OFC
Or is the
It may be that Cut could not attract enough quality players, whether transfers or recruits, who could meet Duke's standards and who actually wanted to play for him. Why waste schollies on 1-stars and 2-stars? We do not know if there were any quality transfers out there or whom Cut actually may have talked to.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Or is the

It may be that Cut could not attract enough quality players, whether transfers or recruits, who could meet Duke's standards and who actually wanted to play for him. Why waste schollies on 1-stars and 2-stars? We do not know if there were any quality transfers out there or whom Cut actually may have talked to.

Its entirely possible. Of course the way the season is going Cut isn't going to have to worry about recruiting next year. He'll be shown the door... OFC

Just sitting around with nothing else to do, so I tried to get a feeling for the progress of our football program. So far it is a really bad feeling. Since 2015, Duke is 32 - 35 against all opponents. Take out the cupcakes (non-conference, non-FCS teams), and we are 24-35. In the ACC, we are 10-32. These numbers may be a little off, but I think they paint a fairly accurate picture. At best, we are mired in mediocrity with a downward trend. How we can possibly be favored over Syracuse which has had a week off, which won their last game handily, which is playing at home, and which beat us 49-6 last year, has me totally stumped. Has anyone figured it out?

I think writers have great respect for Cut. I think there is talent on this team. We can't seem to put it together though, especially on the two lines. This may be one of our 2 or 3 remaining winnable games so we'll see.

Cutt is very good to reporters, and they reciprocate. I think that he is a good person. It should be a wonderful game. Their QB, Devito, showed potential two years ago, but he hasn't developed

Cut is a very good person, but I have noticed a more gloomy demeanor. This is not surprising given the mounting losses. Press coverage of Cut tends to still be favorable, but I am sure he will get more criticism if trend continues.

Certainly Duke fans on social media and various Duke websites has been quite critical. I would guesstimate three quarters of those registering concerns want Cut out as head coach. Frankly if I was a Syracuse player or coach I would view Duke in the favorite's role as an insult.

OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
If Cut gets fired this year who are on you guys hire list? What now succesful or up and coming coach would be willing to come to Duke that would make Duke better than what Coach Cut has done for the program overall. Yes the last couple if seasons have really sucked but how soon we can forget what it was like before Cut. You know he hasn't had a lot of luck over the last couple of years with a healthy roster especially key positions. If any of you were the head football coach at Duke the last three years what would you have done differently than Coach Cut to make Duke a winning program and by that I mean 7 to 8 wins a year and bowl game wins.? I'm not trying to beva smart ass I just want to know from people who know a lot more about college football and an understanding of the game than I do. I am a Cut supporter. I also think even without being fired he is going to retire within three years. Please convince me that you know what he should have done. OFC

If Cut gets fired this year who are on you guys hire list? What now succesful or up and coming coach would be willing to come to Duke that would make Duke better than what Coach Cut has done for the program overall. Yes the last couple if seasons have really sucked but how soon we can forget what it was like before Cut. You know he hasn't had a lot of luck over the last couple of years with a healthy roster especially key positions. If any of you were the head football coach at Duke the last three years what would you have done differently than Coach Cut to make Duke a winning program and by that I mean 7 to 8 wins a year and bowl game wins.? I'm not trying to beva smart ass I just want to know from people who know a lot more about college football and an understanding of the game than I do. I am a Cut supporter. I also think even without being fired he is going to retire within three years. Please convince me that you know what he should have done. OFC

Hired better assistants. NEVER EVER made
Zac Roper (A CONVERTED SPECIAL TEAMS COACH) , OUR OC in '16. Thats when the slide started. Should have Never fired O-Line coach John Latina several years ago. Best O-line coach we ever had. We havent blocked since '15 for our qbs. Recruiting has declined. I will stop for now, as thats just a few. There are more REASONS, like hes lost 9 of last 10 games.
#CutTies

OFC

No answer from me about a replacement. I love watching the triple option. Paul Johnson was competitive at Georgia Tech. Navy, except for this year, is good. Stanford recruits excellent offensive Linemen despite academic standards. Army is well coached. I don't think that Duke could get the Navy coach, but perhaps the Army coach.

Hired better assistants. NEVER EVER made
Zac Roper (A CONVERTED SPECIAL TEAMS COACH) , OUR OC in '16. Thats when the slide started. Should have Never fired O-Line coach John Latina several years ago. Best O-line coach we ever had. We havent blocked since '15 for our qbs. Recruiting has declined. I will stop for now, as thats just a few. There are more REASONS, like hes lost 9 of last 10 games.
#CutTies

OFC

So if he had done the things you suggested how many more games would Duke had won every year. Why was Latina fired? Weren't there a lot if DI fans that wanted him fired? Who out there should be our next coach? You have to have someone in mind that will turn things around. In hindsight should Duke have never hired Cut and hired a really big time and bigger name. Maybe if so we wouldn't be in the bad shape we are now. Surely there had to have been some big names out there chomping at the chance to coach at Duke. Why didn't the Duke AD shoot for the best instead of settling for a B rated coach. OFC

No answer from me about a replacement. I love watching the triple option. Paul Johnson was competitive at Georgia Tech. Navy, except for this year, is good. Stanford recruits excellent offensive Linemen despite academic standards. Army is well coached. I don't think that Duke could get the Navy coach, but perhaps the Army coach.

The Army coach? Who is he? The triple opition. How would that go over with Duke fans? Just asking OFC

Sorry for the rambling. I think that Duke needs a scheme that works with players not recruited by Clemson and Alabama. I think that the scheme probably involves smaller, nimbler linemen. It should be easy enough to find great option QBs.

skysdad, I like the wishbone. Just speaking for myself. I don't think that it will happen. The Army Coach is Jeff Monken. He's successful at Army, and excelled at Georgia Southern.

I definitely think Cut was a lucky hire. I am proud to have him as the Duke football coach. I don't have any illusions about competing with Alabama or Clemson on a regular basis. I don't want Duke to make the compromises necessary to do so. I would like Duke to be at the level of Stanford and now frankly Wake Forest or a little better. I want Duke to compete in the ACC rather than be its doormat.

What really bothers me is when I realized that not only is Duke's recruiting ranking not improving from the 50's in the country, but in fact Duke is getting beaten by teams like BC who are ranked even lower in recruiting. That was a sobering discovery. Cut is no longer coaching up his players to exceed expectations. Whether it's him or his assistants, that is very concerning.

Well it's obvious that things are not going to turn around any time soon so maybe it is best to go ahead a let him go after the next loss and get a good head start on the next search. It's also obvious that Cut may have been overrated and is way behind behind times. Name an interum coach and then cut ties with the whole staff as soon as the unc loss and forge ahead for better days. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT