ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

I don't know anything about Wyatt. I do know that NFL long snappers can make a very nice salary for doing very little work. The new rules protect them from getting hit. A free year of education with the chance of playing in the NFL sounds great to me
yeah i think that is his exact thought process
trey hornbuckle now our new graduate assistant dline coach. i really like tre so good for him and duke
per david harding brice looked very good at qb today. also christian rorie (red shirt last year for high school knee injury) seems to have really worked on his body and looked very good on the dline

Last edited:
yeah i think that is his exact thought process
trey hornbuckle now our new graduate assistant dline coach. i really like tre so good for him and duke
per david harding brice looked very good at qb today. also christian rorie (red shirt last year for high school knee injury) seems to really worked on his body and looked very good on the dline

Surf good news about Brice! Cut had little or nothing to say about him at the presser, mostly praising Katrenick. Nothing against him, but Katrenick is not going to rev up an offensive engine much IMHO. Cut also spoke well of Holmberg and some qb walk-ons. Maybe Cut just hasnt seen enough of Brice yet running our offense. OFC

some camp updates
robert kraeling to guard
elijah wroten taking snaps at center (next year only penn at that spot)
true frosh graham barton at takcle and calib perez at guard. this is just the opposite of what i expected. i wonder if that will last

Reactions: hart2chesson
The day that the offensive line is stable and we don't have to move players around like chess pieces, is the day we know we are big time. I don't know if that day will ever come.

I don't see it happening. Look how screwed up MLB is right now. You have teams that have played 17 games, some only 10 and one club with only 5 games played. But are expected to finish out the regular season at the same time. And that's with a third of the roster size of football and no contact.

I hope that you don't think that I'm ridiculous. I've always thought that a school like Duke could find plenty of offensive linemen and fullbacks by recruiting Rugby players from England or New Zealand. The skills required are very similar. It would be easy to find smart, powerful players who couldn't make it as pro rugby players.

so two more players opt out for covid. myles hudzick a back up running back and no great loss. the BIG HIT is brandon hill our starting senior lb opts out. ouch

The way things are going now with other conferences. I will be shocked if we play at all this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!
OFC

I was looking forward to this year, because I thought we have a good mix of returning starters and talent on both sides of the ball, but it seems unlikely at this point.

I believe that Duke should always be able to get good, smart offensive linemen and quarterbacks just by nature of the school, and that looking at rugby players internationally is a good idea as well.

Reactions: geddoughton23
so two more players opt out for covid. myles hudzick a back up running back and no great loss. the BIG HIT is brandon hill our starting senior lb opts out. ouch

Hill's loss hurts for sure surf. Thats too bad because our LB's have been pretty high quality and provided leadership in recent years.Hill's a stud for sure. OFC

I'm still pretty convinced that there won't be a season. I wonder why some players opt out and others don't. Do you think it's because a relative of theirs got sick, or they have an undisclosed underlying disease?

so with justin pickett and almarion crim on board i think we are now set at guard (unless drew kendall, a high 4 star, wants to commit but we seem to be a back up offer). we are running the race with michael myslinski C but thats it for interior guys. i think now we go for 2 DT, 2 DE, 2 OT, 2 RB and one more WR. i think they will go for the cap limit of 25 this year. just my thoughts

Last edited:
so Cut had a fall camp update
chris katrenick is running 1st team qb and has been very impressive. gunnar and chase splitting snaps on second team. not all that surprising for first week. running second team qb last year gives a huge step up early.
damond philyaw-johnson, jake bobo and jalon calhoun running 1st team wide receivers right now
mark gilbert is full speed and looking good
says we are a little light in upper class experience at safety. only 2 senior and 2 juniors ( one being j'marick woods, a new transfer in)

Last edited:
Surf, just my opinion from watching him play in spurts previously: I can't see Kat' as our 1st team qb this season. Maybe he starts the opener, but I expect that will change.....

OFC

yeah i agree with you hart but right now he has a huge advantage by running the second team all last year. gunnar couldnt get to the field snaps due to injury and chase has had limited time with the play book. that being said, Cut has said earlier this year that he has seen a huge step up from chris. of course this is only practice and not a live game so..........

Last edited:
I can't believe Brice came here not to start. Unless he is a major disappointment I have to figure he'll start eventually. If there is a season.

I still think ultimately it will be Brice's job to lose. All due respect to our man Surf however, because his logic is obviously very sound. OFC

Reactions: Liftee
okay so i have to correct an earlier post. in an interview on 247 justin pickett said he was recruited to be an OT. per the 247 scout for that area (allen trieu) his footwork and bendability are vastly improved and much better than previously thought. as long as he keeps improving in those areas he might end up being really good for us. at 6'7'' 320lbs he will not be a person we need to ''grow'' into his position so that is a huge plus. so i now say one more OG and one more OT in this recruiting cycle.

Three weeks from today (9/12) we are STILL SCHEDULED to open in South Bend at Notre Dame. Theres still time for the ACC to pull the plug.However at this point they're doing a disservice to players and coaches who have poured their hearts into preparation for football season. Thats ESPECIALLY TRUE at Duke where Covid testing/preventative measures have been maximized! OFC

I'm really leery about getting through a season but I hope they get to play a number of games. Unfortunately they've taken some winnable games off the schedule which makes it tough to end with a good record.

I'm really leery about getting through a season but I hope they get to play a number of games. Unfortunately they've taken some winnable games off the schedule which makes it tough to end with a good record.
Yeah Lift, we went from at home to MTSU to NOTRE DAME On road... OFC

so first 75 play scrimmage in the books
deon jackson 50 yds on 9 carries
jordan waters 89 yds on 12 carries
brice 6-9 for 151 yds, 53 yd td pass to pancol and a 42yd completion to dp-j
gunnar 3-5 for 23 yds, 16 yd td pass to te matt smith
chris katrenick 4-8 f0r 49 yds.
noah gray led with 3 rec for 20 yds
rumph and oppan with a sack

Last edited:
so first 75 play scrimmage in the books
deon jackson 50 yds on 9 carries
jordan waters 89 yds on 12 carries
brice 6-9 for 151 yds, 53 yd td pass to pancol and a 42yd completion to dp-j
gunnar 3-5 for 23tds, 16 yd td pass to te matt smith
chris katrenick 4-8 f0r 49 yds.
noah gray led with 3 rec for 20 yds
rumph and oppan with a sack

Jackson's numbers more like the Deon of two years ago which we needed. Really impressed with Waters rushing stats- hes a converted db.Sounds like Chase played as advertised.Noah usual steady self....We need all of the above and MUCH MORE 3 weeks

Reactions: surfdevil
actually saw jordan play his senior year. he was a 2 way player in high school. while he was a good db, we have plenty of those. i posted on 247 back then that he was electric when he had the ball in his hands and i thought it was a mistake to bury him in the defensive backfield. he was a db/wr/rb/kick returner in high school and was just really good everywhere on the field.
FYI notice the td to matt smith TE. he is going to be the next ''flogging a dead horse guy'' with me due to his low (5.4) rivals rating. just like the noah gray miss (5.3 and now an ALL AMERICAN), rivals just cant seem to buy into the big high school qbs turn into good college TE players.

Last edited:
actually saw jordan play his senior year. he was a 2 way player in high school. while he was a good db, we have plenty of those. i posted on 247 back then that he was electric when he had the ball in his hands and i thought it was a mistake to bury him in the defensive backfield. he was a db/wr/rb/kick returner in high school and was just really good everywhere on the field.
FYI notice the td to matt snith TE. he is going to be the next ''flogging a dead horse guy'' with me due to his low (5.4) rivals rating. just like the noah gray miss (5.3 and now an ALL AMERICAN), rivals just cant seem to by into the ''big qbs transfer into good TE players

Terrific info on Waters, surf- had no idea of this kid's VERSATILITY!!! We obviously need him- we seem to be kind of thin at RB. Good to see the nice numbers not only for Brice, but Gunnar and 'Kat as well. I hope you are spot on with Smith, and imagine you are. Gray has been a wonderful surprise! 21 days and counting..... OFC

so the other info from the first scrimmage is starting oline seems to be what we expected. holman, monk, wohblaugh, rak and hamilton are the starters. really good size and experience. mcintyre (og) and leitten (ot) seem to be the first subs in and are pushing the starters . so happy for patrick that he might be healthy (knock on wood) for the first time in his college career. add will taylor (c) who started games last year when wohblaugh got hurt and we seem to have good depth thru first 8. what we need is one of peace addo, john gelotte, ron carr or graham barton to step up and grab the second OT sub spot. elijah wrotten has officially moved and is now listed at center so with true frosh addison penn we have really great depth here. the OG depth is the one questionable spot. we only have robert kraeling and true frosh caleb perez left so dont even have a ''three'' deep here. my guess would be either ron carr or graham barton would flip over here to help.

Last edited:
in an interview on 247 holman said that graham barton (true frosh) was really impressive and said he was going to be really good. based on that i would say he will get in the 2 deep rotation.

I'd hate to burn a redshirt on an offensive lineman if they end up playing a short season. We definitely need bulked up and mature large people on both sides of the ball.

bang bang first one pops
3 star trent davis RB 5'11'' from bama commits
jr stats
1400 yds rushing on 98 carries for 14 tds
412 yds on 21 receptions for 5 tds
14 offers but we were his only power 5. army also.
seems like a very thoughtful kid so we shall see.

new roster up on goduke.com
here are some highlights
john gelotte OT is 6'5'' 295 lbs. PLAY HIM AT TACKLE AND NOT TE
rak OG at 6'3'' 330 lbs. huge
elijah wroten C at 6'3'' 330 lbs
rumph DE/OLB at 6'3'' 235 lbs. better
drew jordan DE at 6'2'' 270 lbs. maybe some DT this year?
peace addo OT at 6'6'' 345 lbs. wish he would lose 25
ron carr OT at 6'4'' 275 lbs. getting bigger
maurice ncintyre OG at 6'2'' 330 lbs. wow he and rak are big

Surf, do you think these measurements are legitimate? We know that in basketball there is a 2 inch, 20 pound fudge factor.

And I see that our heaviest linemen are on the offensive side of the ball othe rthan Gelotte. Could use more of the size at DT.

Reactions: surfdevil
true freshman who might have an impact this year per camp reports
graham barton OT 6'5'' 310 lbs. huge true frosh
aeneas peebles DT 6'2'' 280 lbs. getting close to the right size
jontavis robertson WR 5'11'' 195 lbs. solid solid build for young wr
christian hood LB 6' 215 lbs. still needs 20 lbs but brings the lumber
dorian mausi LB 6'2'' 210 lbs. fast fast fast

yeah i kinda do think they are more legit. kept hearing rumph was up. ron carr is now an inch shorter. STILL HAVE FRYE AT 255 LBS WHICH SUCKS. wish rice had been booted earlier so that drew jordan could have put on more weight. i think he would have been really good as a 285 lb DT. that starting dline of dimukeje, a bigger jordan, tangelo and rumph would be nasty.

actually outside of frye and rumph we have great but inexperienced size
DT
christian rorie (rfr) 6'6'' 305 lbs
dewayne carter (rfr) 6'3'' 300 lbs
gary smith (frosh) 6'2'' 320 lbs
aeneas peebles (frosh) 6'2'' 280 lbs
ben frye (rjr) 6'3'' 255 lbs WHAT THE HELL
derrick tangelo (sr) 6'2'' 310 lbs
DE
michael reese (fr) 6'4'' 250 lbs is his body ''college'' ready
caleb oppan (rfr) 6'4'' 235 lbs needs to add 15 to 20 more in bulk muscle
ahmad craig (rfr) 6'5'' 250 lbs would love for him to add 20 over next 2 years
chris rumph (rjr) 6'3'' 235 lbs
drew jordan (sr) 6'2'' 270 lbs
victor dimukeje (sr) 265lbs
next year scares me. we are losing a ton this year

The young guys have more size than the older guys. Is that because we're finally recruiting the big guys or because they are carrying extra weight? If the latter, you know Cut will get them in shape.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT