ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

wow, so we are through 3 rounds of the nfl draft and we have a 2nd round pick from lenoir-rhyne plus 3rd round picks from app state and uncc. none for unc, duke, wake or ncsu. good thing we can call ourselves a power 5 conference.

Reactions: hart2chesson
wow, so we are through 3 rounds of the nfl draft and we have a 2nd round pick from lenoir-rhyne plus 3rd round picks from app state and uncc. none for unc, duke, wake or ncsu. good thing we can call ourselves a power 5 conference.

Wow, interesting......Wonder if Daniel Helm will be selected....OFC

surf, you will know better than I my friend, but heard Duke had no one drafted. Hope some guys can at least sign as free agents....OFC

only trevon mcswain to the bears as an UDFA so far. very poor showing by duke. app, ga southern, marshall, tulane and uncc got 2 drafted but 0 from us.
only 5 draft picks in Cutts 12 years
in the same time period wake has had 22 picks. kansas, the worst team in football, has had 13.
i dont even know how to feel about this

Last edited:
none of those drafted kids from the small schools were highly rated so i say meh to the recruiting thought BUT i think Devilinside is right and we have to take a hard look at coaching, specifically development. our classes almost always rank higher than Wakes yet they have over 4 times as many draft picks? we are so far below any other team in the ''P5'' division it is pathetic. temple, a team we destroyed on the field, has had 15 draft picks in the last 5 years. we had 1. lets hope the new oline and db coaching changes pay off.

just fyi
jontavis robertson, wr commit in our 2020 class was named class AAAAA offensive player of the year by the georgia sports writers association.
georgia must have really poor high school football because rivals has him as a 5.6 mid level 3 star kid (lol)
also, 2021 verbal db cole bishop made all-state db in same class as a junior

Last edited:
so here is the slap in the face on paper per raleigh news and observer
unc 2 draft picks 4 udfa
ncsu 2 draft picks
wake 2 draft picks 5 udfa
uncc 2 draft picks 1 udfa
appy 2 draft picks 1 udfa
lenoir-rhyne 1 draft pick
ecu 1 udfa
nccu 1 udfa
unc pembroke 1 udfa
wcu 1 udfa
duke 1 udfa

unc 2 draft picks 4 udfa
ncsu 2 draft picks
ecu 1 udfa
nccu 1 udfa
unc pembroke 1 udfa
wcu 1 udfa
duke 1 udfa

Surf its an embarrassment, and lets hope the off season moves help us develop talent better... OFC

unc 2 draft picks 4 udfa
ncsu 2 draft picks
ecu 1 udfa
nccu 1 udfa
unc pembroke 1 udfa
wcu 1 udfa
duke 1 udfa
so, what, if anything, does that tell us about the quality of the staff and/or recruiting, past and future?

Very weak assistant coaching. OL regressed sharply following Cut's forced exit of OL coach John Latina. We went from one of the best OL coaches in country to ultimately one of the worst, Jim Bridge (fired thankfully at end of this year). The Zach Roper move to OC failed miserably. Sure Daniel Jones was one Blue Devil who went high in draft, but amazing under Roper he NEVER made ALL-ACC. Glad Cut is taking reigns over.Good riddance also to Derek Green, DB coach who spent too much time on twitter and not enough developing talent.
#ChangeIsGood

OFC

Very weak assistant coaching. OL regressed sharply following Cut's forced exit of OL coach John Latina. We went from one of the best OL coaches in country to ultimately one of the worst, Jim Bridge (fired thankfully at end of this year). The Zach Roper move to OC failed miserably. Sure Daniel Jones was one Blue Devil who went high in draft, but amazing under Roper he NEVER made ALL-ACC. Glad Cut is taking reigns over.Good riddance also to Derek Green, DB coach who spent too much time on twitter and not enough developing talent.
#ChangeIsGood

OFC
What worries me even more is how these abysmal draft results will affect ongoing recruiting. How can our staff explain to a recruit with pro prospects that he can depend on us to get him ready?

I would blame the half filled stadium, but I doubt these other schools fill their stadiums. Lenoir-Rhyne? UNC Pembroke?

Reactions: hart2chesson
i also think that due to some big misses in recruiting that we don't highlight kids in the best way. chris rumph II is still going to play de for us and yet this is not where a nfl team will be looking for him. he is 6'3'' and only 225 lbs. there was talk of moving him off the front line to maybe the jeremy cash type hybrid lb/safety but we haven't done that because we did not get a de recruit 2 years ago and he is stuck due to lack of depth. maybe one of the freshman from last year steps up? jacob monk is never going to be a nfl tackle at 6'3'' 305 lbs. he is a guard that is stuck on the edge because we missed on so many OT kids. casey holman is the same story. 6'4'' 295 is way too small for a left tackle. if he stays at OT (recruited as a guard) he needs to be on the right side. maybe the kid from stanford or one of the other kids steps up for us hopefully.
just to illustrate my point here are the OT sizes from the first 3 rounds of nfl draft
6'5'' 315, 6'4'' 312, 6'7'' 364, 6'5'' 320, 6'7'' 350, 6'6'' 311, 6'5'' 319, 6'6'' 315, 6'7'' 318, 6'5'' 331.
notice a slight size difference

Last edited:
I won't take the time to check it out but I must assume there are loads of 3 star players who are drafted. That's a simple metric for how our players develop. I don't know enough to know if Hart's opinion that the assistant coaches simply aren't doing their jobs, but I'm hard pressed to find another reason.

just an fyi
recruiting services have now caught up to the duke class and actually we look good.
espn has our lowest commit at 75 so no one less than a mid level 3 star.
247 has raised our guys as well.
the big one that has ''huh'' is sahmir hagans. espn is a 77. 247 is an 83. rivals at 5.4 he doesnt belong at a division one school. guess he is that guy this year

just an fyi
recruiting services have now caught up to the duke class and actually we look good.
espn has our lowest commit at 75 so no one less than a mid level 3 star.
247 has raised our guys as well.
the big one that has ''huh'' is sahmir hagans. espn is a 77. 247 is an 83. rivals at 5.4 he doesnt belong at a division one school. guess he is that guy this year

Glad we're doing pretty decent Surf! Thx for update! OFC

new commit. cb brandon johnson from newton nc commits today
5' 10'' 170 lbs
really really really fast.
P5 offers include duke, ncsu, wake, northwestern and tennessee
others incluse appy, army, charlotte, ecu, coastal carolina and liberty. very solid mid-levels
espn rates at 75. 247 at 85. rivals at 5.4 but i would think that means they havent rated yet

Last edited:
hello mcfly's (dating myself with old movie reference)
crystal balls coming in today for us for an interesting kid
riley leonard
6'4'' 200 lb pro style qb from alabama
has offers from duke, syracuse, vandy and nebraska
two sport star that just became a full time qb last year. also has mid level interest as a basketball player.
very athletic. man between he and jordan moore we are really going after interesting and way athletic kids for our qb spot
really like this offer because with 3 of the kids we already have on the roster rating a 4 star on at least one of the rating boards i really like taking some high ceiling but need time to develop kids. perfect time to get and sit these type of kids.

Last edited:
So Surf, you were wayyy ahead today! I just got a message from Rivals that Leonard committed! Wonderful news. Sounds like he's a great athlete.

Boy the coaching staff is very active right now isn't it? Wonderful to see.

so with tahj rice leaving that puts a crimp in our front four rotation and depth. that being said, through 3 years (one red shirt) he had not been the impact player we were all hoping for. showed small flashes but not much on field impact. seemed like a good kid and i hope he does well wherever he goes. now looking forward
DT depth chart by class
derrick tangelo 6'2'' 285lb senior. obvious leader and a starter
ben frye 6'3'' 255lb junior. another kid we seem to bounce around. way way to small at 255 so lets hope he is putting on some good weight thru this time. going back inside per a ben albert comment back in the spring
elijah brown 6'4'' 280lb soph. good size. did he muscle up during his red shirt year?
dewayne carter 6'3'' 300lb rfr. really good looking kid. will he be ready to step up?
aeneas peebles 6'2'' 265lb true frosh. really good high school player who probably needs to add 25 to 30 lbs of muscle for college.
DE depth chart by class
victor dimukeje 6'2'' 265lb sr. leader and starter i would think.
drew jordan 6'2'' 260lb sr. other starter to me.
r j oben 6'4'' 245lb rfr. will he be recovered from his knee injury? looked really good as a true frosh
caleb oppan 6'4'' 240lb rfr. will he be ready to step up?
ahmad craig 6'5'' 255lb rfr. fantastic size. will he be ready?
QUESTION THE POSITION PLAYERS
chris rumph 6'3'' 225lb jr. obvious impact player but is he a de or a lb? read where he was saying he will be around 240lbs this year. do we pigeon hole him as an undersized college de or try to let him be an outside pass rushing lb like all the nfl scouts project him at?
christian rorie 6'6'' 300lb rfr. height of a de but the weight of a dt. he did not play last year due to high school knee injury so where do we put him?
gary smith 6'2'' 300lb true frosh. played both ways in high school. it was assumed that he would be a dt but cut made a comment in an interview that he sure would like to see him try og, like we dont already have enough of them. oh wait, they are all having to play ot due to crappy recruiting and some bad injury luck.
michael reese 6'4'' 260lb true frosh. will we try to grow him into a dt or will he be a de?
we have a lot of players but not much experience. kinda scary when you realize jordan, victor and probably rumph will all be gone after the year. need to play the youth and get some game experience i think.

Last edited:
Those 260 pound defensive linemen will be giving up 40 pounds to most offensive linemen they see. Doesn't bode well no matter how hard they play.

Reactions: surfdevil
so the 2020 roster is now up on goduke.com
looking at it we have 15 position seniors ( 3 safeties, 1 rb, 1 cb, 1 lb, 1 c, 2 de, 1 dt, 1 og, 2 ot and 2 te)
we also have 3 kickers in jackson hubbard, jack driggers and matthew cone who are seniors. dont know if one is on scholly or not
also long snappers john taylor and ben wyatt are seniors.
add in 18 rjr or true jr players and i think we max out on the 25 limit this year.
the new world is that if you are rjr or jr and can graduate and think you can play somewhere else then do it and see what is out there.

Those 260 pound defensive linemen will be giving up 40 pounds to most offensive linemen they see. Doesn't bode well no matter how hard they play.
yeah the perfect dt is 6' 2'' or 3'' and weighs 290 to 310 lbs depending on mobility
de seems to be 6'4'' to 6'6'' and 265 to 280 lbs
we are getting better on size but we had a year or two of meh recruiting on the dline a while back. a guy like drew jordan was 4 star or high 3 star on the boards but we got him because he was too short for most P5 schools. he has been really good for us but as liftee points out when you are giving up so much size (weight and height) you tend to wear out late in games which unfortunately has been our issue.

yeah the perfect dt is 6' 2'' or 3'' and weighs 290 to 310 lbs depending on mobility
de seems to be 6'4'' to 6'6'' and 265 to 280 lbs
we are getting better on size but we had a year or two of meh recruiting on the dline a while back. a guy like drew jordan was 4 star or high 3 star on the boards but we got him because he was too short for most P5 schools. he has been really good for us but as liftee points out when you are giving up so much size (weight and height) you tend to wear out late in games which unfortunately has been our issue.

Good points surf! Thanks for update. Duke Pres Vince Price was on one of the cable networks today. Said no decision at this time on Blue Devil athletics for upcoming season... OFC

I won't take the time to check it out but I must assume there are loads of 3 star players who are drafted. That's a simple metric for how our players develop. I don't know enough to know if Hart's opinion that the assistant coaches simply aren't doing their jobs, but I'm hard pressed to find another reason.
just to follow up on this thought
1st round 2020 nfl draft
5 star 6
4 star 15
3 star 10
2 star 0
1 star 0
unranked 1
i personally think football is much harder to project a recruits rise than basketball. so many of these kids are not physically developed enough till their jr and senior years especially in the trenches. bball is just so much easier to forecast.

just to follow up on this thought
1st round 2020 nfl draft
5 star 6
4 star 15
3 star 10
2 star 0
1 star 0
unranked 1
i personally think football is much harder to project a recruits rise than basketball. so many of these kids are not physically developed enough till their jr and senior years especially in the trenches. bball is just so much easier to forecast.

Surf agreed! Football much more of an INEXACT SCIENCE!!!!

Reactions: surfdevil
okay so a nice review of the duke wr's on another board.
two huge stats slap you in the face from last year
last in acc for catch rate beyond 10 yds
12th in acc in yac on short routes
OUCH!!!!!!!!
did the qb cause all of the problems or did the wr corp help by no separation and MEH route running? just to highlight, jalon calhoun, a true frosh, led the team in receiving (46) and 4 tds. no other receiver had more than 29 catches.
hopefully we get a step up with trooper coaching the group. the other thing to look at is how young we are now
jalon calhoun 5'11'' 185lb soph
darrell harding 6'4'' 210lb soph
jake bobo 6'4'' 200lb junior
eli pancol 6'3'' 195lb soph
damond philyaw-johnson 6'1'' 170lb rjr
dennis smith 6'2'' 185lb rsoph
jarett garner 6'3'' 195lb rsoph
lots of potential BUT someone has to step up
jontavis robertson 6' 190lb frosh
malik bowens-sims 6'3'' 195lb frosh
good looking pair of freshman. really think jontavis will be explosive for us.

Reactions: skysdad
Thanks for your update. Lots of potential. But potential doesn't translate to success without a line that will give time for deeper routes and a quarterback who can deliver the pass on time and on target.

Great rundown and review @surfdevil , good commentary by you and @Liftee. I think we need to run longer routes to get better separation. The. passing attack was limited to doink-dunks near the LOS, and must be OPENED UP!!!! As Liftee noted the OL needs to get back to its performance in the Coach Latina days.....OFC

Reactions: skysdad and Liftee
athlon magazine came out with preseason ''all acc'' rankings
dean jackson 3rd team rb
noah gray 2nd team te
chris rumph 2nd team dl
victor dimukeje 3rd team dl
damond philyaw-johnson 1st team kick returner
jack wahlbaugh c 4th team
michael carter s 4th team
not a bad showing by duke. ps they pick us 6th in coastal with a 2-5 record

JACKSON GETTING OVER HYPED IMO. He had great '18 season, but was only mediocre last year.

OFC

so riley leonard was named the edward jones/A1.com coastal male athlete of the year. now rated as the #1 qb in the state of alabama over a wva and tcu commit. the two kids we are bringing in as qbs this year are nutsy athletic

so 247 just updated and several duke commits got bumped up.
jordan moore and riley leonard both now rated as dual threat qbs instead of athletes. moore to an 87 and leonard to 86.
the HUGE jump was OT andrew jones all the way to 93 (4 star) and #129 nationally. wowzers
before anyone worries his mom went to duke and his uncle is in the duke sports hall of fame. solid commit.
just need 3-4 more 4 star kids and this could be a groundbreaking class for duke.

Reactions: PixelDevil
What are some of your predictions on won loss record this coming year. I have cheater u fan that if we don't beat the cheaters this year we will never beat them again because cheater mack brown is back. OFC

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT