ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

to me the biggest thing about brice is the ''big game atmosphere'' experience he is going to bring to us. this kid has played in and prepped for conference and national championship games and i think that he will be able to share that knowledge to luca (fr) and gunnar (rfr). having 2 really good freshman qbs getting a chance to learn leadership and winning from chase is huge to me.
Agree with your points surf! Chase blends talent AND the WINNING CULTURE to Durham.Hooted and Hollered much when I heard the good news. Surf any news on devery hamilton? Thx OFC

My feeling is that this also says more about a potential change in the playcalling for this coming season. I think in order to get Bryce to commit, they must've had something better to sell him than the horrendous offensive numbers Duke put up last year.

This may either go along with what Surf already said about Cut taking over playcalling duties or even something better, an OC that noone knows about yet. More likely is option #1 unfortunately.

Agree with your points surf! Chase blends talent AND the WINNING CULTURE to Durham.Hooted and Hollered much when I heard the good news. Surf any news on devery hamilton? Thx OFC
Perfect fit for us. Cutt and Dabo have very similar relationships with their players, and my guess is that That had a lot to do with Chase's decision. Been waiting for awhile for something good to happen to the program. I am psyched.

Reactions: hart2chesson
so i just noticed on the commitment list that rivals is once again doing their yearly ''screw a duke kids rating'' and therefore dukes overall ratings
Calib Perez OT 6'5'' 275lbs from texas
rivals with a 5.4, 2 star rating
32 overall offers (yeah 2 star kids get 32 offers lol)
13 Power 5 offers include duke, arizona state, baylor, boston college, colorado, illinois, indiana, kansas, minnesota, nebraske, oklahoma state, texas tech and vandy
this is why some people say you have to look at the offers along with the ratings.
i think this is a big miss by rivals again. hopefully it turns out as well for us as their screw up on Noah Gray (the low 2 star all conference jr TE)

Last edited:
PWO
grissim anderson from tennessee
6'2'' 220 lb rb/olb
played basketball, baseball and track along with football
4.0 gpa and 30+ act
seems like a good walk-on. congrats to the young man

PWO
grissim anderson from tennessee
6'2'' 220 lb rb/olb
played basketball, baseball and track along with football
4.0 gpa and 30+ act
seems like a good walk-on. congrats to the young man

Wow that's some impressive size for a RB/OLB as a high school senior. Plenty of room to grow. And didn't have to use a scholarship.

addison penn signed!!!
coffey to announce at 5 pm but crystal balls changed from duke to memphis so......

fyi i didnt mention this before but we also got a PWO from colin ross a long snapper
needed because ben wyatt our currant LS is a senior this year

Last edited:
just FYI
javon jackson transfers to georgia southern
scott bracey to JMU

we need to pay attention to spring ball this year. the portal has changed how football works and i think a couple of kids may transfer out if they dont make the 2 deep. we have 2 open spots now and could go higher so portal transfers might not be done.
kids i wonder about
mark birmingham sr TE already behind noah gray. jake marwede pushing. might want to spend his senior year playing more
robert kraeling sr OL never has really panned out. will new line coach light his fire?
chris katernick jr QB with the Brice transfer in and 2 each highly touted freshman (each was a 4 star on a board) will he be happy riding the bench?
IF, and i repeat IF, they do look for greener pastures then we would have 5 open schollies that we can fill with grad transfer prospects because there in no signing date restrictions put on them

okay just to put down on paper here is what the coaching staff pulled off after the first signing date
j'marick woods (s) michigan>duke via transfer
jaylen stinson (db) purdue>duke via flip
addison penn (c) boston college>duke via flip
da'quan johnson (db) troy>duke via flip
chase brice (qb) clemson>duke via transfer
devery hamilton (ot) stanford>duke via transfer
an'darius coffey (cb) ole miss>duke via flip
3 former 4 star transfers and 4 new 3 star flips. PRETTY SOLID WORK BY THE STAFF

okay just to put down on paper here is what the coaching staff pulled off after the first signing date
j'marick woods (s) michigan>duke via transfer
jaylen stinson (db) purdue>duke via flip
addison penn (c) boston college>duke via flip
da'quan johnson (db) troy>duke via flip
chase brice (qb) clemson>duke via transfer
devery hamilton (ot) stanford>duke via transfer
an'darius coffey (cb) ole miss>duke via flip
3 former 4 star transfers and 4 new 3 star flips. PRETTY SOLID WORK BY THE STAFF

Surf this is the MOST EXCITING OFF SEASON for Duke football in recent memory!!! Thanks for all the updates!

OFC

so we seem to have a little drama going on. we still have not gotten coffey's LOI in so he is not officially a commit yet.
evidently some in his family want him to stay closer to home. we shall see

a j reed transfers to arkansas

Last edited:
so we seem to have a little drama going on. we still have not gotten coffey's LOI in so he is not officially a commit yet.
evidently some in his family want him to stay closer to home. we shall see

a j reed transfers to arkansas
Surf, I have been curious about this. Why did Reed transfer? Was he about to lose his spot to someone better? Was he in the doghouse for something?

a j reed is an interesting case. he REALLY REALLY struggled his freshman year as our kicker and and never got back on to the playing surface. walk-ons were kicking before him. people on various boards were asking why we kept him on scholly. he was considered a bust. Cutt lived up to his promise that if you come to duke and live by the rules then whether you play or not you will have time to get your degree. we brought in a new kicker last year to take over and then ''boom'' a j was reborn in the spring practice sessions. we gray shirted his replacement but Cutt is putting him on scholly this year as he should. i am happy for a j that he was able to rebuild himself and be a factor last year. wish him nothing but well in his step up to SEC pressure.

a j reed is an interesting case. he REALLY REALLY struggled his freshman year as our kicker and and never got back on to the playing surface. walk-ons were kicking before him. people on various boards were asking why we kept him on scholly. he was considered a bust. Cutt lived up to his promise that if you come to duke and live by the rules then whether you play or not you will have time to get your degree. we brought in a new kicker last year to take over and then ''boom'' a j was reborn in the spring practice sessions. we gray shirted his replacement but Cutt is putting him on scholly this year as he should. i am happy for a j that he was able to rebuild himself and be a factor last year. wish him nothing but well in his step up to SEC pressure.
I still do not get it. If he was scheduled to be the starting placekisker for next year, why did he Bail? Got to be more to it.

I still do not get it. If he was scheduled to be the starting placekisker for next year, why did he Bail? Got to be more to it.

DI I know what you are saying but I seem to recall his successor is VERY GOOD. Cant think of his name, but perhaps AJ thought he would have to EARN his starting job this year, because the successor would put up a strong fight. However, AJ was really successful this year! Wish him well! OFC

so a clearing slightly on the coffey recruitment sags. he evidently sent his loi to memphis first and then flipped and then sent it to duke per the memphis site on 247. they have to release him for it to be official to us.

Last edited:
so a clearing slightly on the coffey recruitment sags. he evidently sent his loi to memphis first and then flipped amd then sent it to duke per the memphis site on 247. they have to release him for it to be official to us.

Surf think thats a matter of simple protocol for Memphis to release him? Certainly would think so'- obviously we don't play Memphis, and they're not conference member......OFC

Charlie Ham was a highly-regarded prep kicker and was always on scholarship. He kicked off a few times late in the season but not enough to imperil his redshirt.

Reed got his Duke degree and moved on. He was not pushed out. His 2019 season was a great redemption story and he deserves the thanks and appreciation of the Duke football community.

wow derek jones leaving duke to join texas tech staff.

Think we will be better off. Don't get me wrong Derek has been a solid recruiter, but the technique of Duke DB's has appeared to slide noticeably the last several years.Duke DB's have routinely had NO IDEA where the ball was, and either give up long pass plays or commit interference. Good luck to Derek and his family, but I feel like we're bound to improve pass coverage.

OFC

Think we will be better off. Don't get me wrong Derek has been a solid recruiter, but the technique of Duke DB's has appeared to slide noticeably the last several years.Duke DB's have routinely had NO IDEA where the ball was, and either give up long pass plays or commit interference. Good luck to Derek and his family, but I feel like we're bound to improve pass coverage.

OFC
I agree, Hart. Could not have been that big a deal as a recruiter - no 4-stars in the 2020 class. So any loss is minimal, and this may be a positive, depending upon whom Cut replaces him with.

I agree, Hart. Could not have been that big a deal as a recruiter - no 4-stars in the 2020 class. So any loss is minimal, and this may be a positive, depending upon whom Cut replaces him with.

AMEN D-I, just really hope we bring someone in from outside rather than an in-house promotion....OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
so it looks like we got our db coach.
chris hampton the db coach out of tulane. he has been there for 4 years. had 2 dbs drafted and one invited to the combine this year. just to put into perspective we had one db draft pick in 12 years under DJ. i dont want to slight DJ because he did develop several all ACC kids but has never gotten the bar this high. everything i am reading states that he is a young up and comer.

so it looks like we got our db coach.
chris hampton the db coach out of tulane. he has been there for 4 years. had 2 dbs drafted and one invited to the combine this year. just to put into perspective we had one db draft pick in 12 years under DJ. i dont want to slight DJ because he did develop several all ACC kids but has never gotten the bar this high. everything i am reading states that he is a young up and comer.

Hearing other solid reports of Hampton from fans like yourself surf , close to the program w/solid insights. I think we will improve in the secondary, and am excited about the change. No cause to fret for Jones, I heard hes got a fancy title, and am sure the money's better. Regardless, I stiil think his niche is recruiting, not coaching...OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
Hearing other solid reports of Hampton from fans like yourself surf , close to the program w/solid insights. I think we will improve in the secondary, and am excited about the change. No cause to fret for Jones, I heard hes got a fancy title, and am sure the money's better. Regardless, I stiil think his niche is recruiting, not coaching...OFC
Maybe Jones was not a guru at either.

Last edited:
Maybe Jones was not a guru at either.

Could be DI.....Jones seemed like a good guy, brought a lot of intensity and enthusiasm. I think those traits far exceeded his coaching knowledge of the DBs. Jones was somewhat of a self promoter too, constantly posting tweets of his coaching philosophy....,OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT