ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

i kinda am on the other side of the ''why are we playing these teams'' argument. you have to play some games you can win and get playing times for your bench especially for a team like duke. every team does this. we are not notre dame getting 20 4 star kids a year. here are some of the other ACC 2020 teams that also have easier opponents
WAKE
app state
odu
villinova
UNC
jmu
uconn
N C STATE
@ troy
deleware
liberty
CLEMSON
akron
citadel
UVA
vmi
uconn
odu
VA TECH
liberty
mid tenn state
north ala
even a team like clemson who is playing for natties plays soft teams. alabama played western carolina and new mexico state last year. my only wish is that we would schedule one of these guys later in the year so the players get a break.
yes i realize app is not a cupcake for wake but charlotte also went bowling last year
I agree kind of. But Elon? Seriously? Only 3 ACC teams schedule 3 non-BCS teams: Miami, UVA, and Pitt. Others schedule at least one legit non-conference team: BC-Kansas and Purdue; Louisville - Kentucky;Syracuse - Rutgers; Clemson - South Carolina; UNC - UCF, Auburn; Va Tech - Penn State; FSU - W Va, Boise State; NC State - Miss State; Wake - App State (I know, not really BCS); Ga Tech - UCF, UGA. I get the experience/physical reasons, but I think we need to keep an eye on generating fan interest. In the recent past, we have scheduled Kansas, Baylor, NW, Ala, Tulane, Rice, Navy, Army, Stanford, and others. Any of those games would be a better draw than any of the 3 we have, and might better prepare us for the conference games. Finally, I am not a big fan of scheduling 3 creampuffs just to get into a nothing bowl game against a N. Ill. or a Temple. If we can be expected to win at least half of our conference games, then we should test ourselves against at least one really good team

Last edited:
boom boom two verbals today for 2021
andrew jones a 6' 4'' 255 lb OT from pfafftown nc verbals
anthony freeman a 5'11'' OLB from durham verbals
when is the last time two kids from durham verbaled duke?
all three kids this week are NC kids

ps adam on 247 says andrew jones will go inside for duke so count him as OG

Last edited:
duke vs notre dame is a non conference game. yes i would like 2 good games and 2 cupcake games ideally. how did bama and notre dame treat us last year? beat us down and left us out of the bowl games. a couple of years ago we played baylor back to back and people were ''why are we playing them and not instate schools''. now we are playing charlotte (from the BIGGEST high school area in the state) who went to bowl game last year and thats not good enough. we need to play them so the high school kids can see us. this is about recruiting. elon is the gboro/burlington area shool. i just dont think duke can win here in the polls so to speak. clemson plays the citadel and akron this year. these are powerful bcs schools? are people bitching at coach k for playing elon every year or so? how does that help the mens bball team any more than the football team? not arguing with you that the teams are softer this year. i would like us to have a running one year navy next year army and the same with say vandy and northwestern. having both bama and nd the same year was stupid.

Reactions: hart2chesson
boom boom two verbals today for 2021
andrew jones a 6' 4'' 255 lb OT from pfafftown nc verbals
anthony freeman a 5'11'' OLB from durham verbals
when is the last time two kids from durham verbaled duke?
all three kids this week are NC kids
Cool. Hope it is a trend. OFC
duke vs notre dame is a non conference game. yes i would like 2 good games and 2 cupcake games ideally. how did bama and notre dame treat us last year? beat us down and left us out of the bowl games. a couple of years ago we played baylor back to back and people were ''why are we playing them and not instate schools''. now we are playing charlotte (from the BIGGEST high school area in the state) who went to bowl game last year and thats not good enough. we need to play them so the high school kids can see us. this is about recruiting. elon is the gboro/burlington area shool. i just dont think duke can win here in the polls so to speak. clemson plays the citadel and akron this year. these are powerful bcs schools? are people bitching at coach k for playing elon every year or so? how does that help the mens bball team any more than the football team? not arguing with you that the teams are softer this year. i would like us to have a running one year navy next year army and the same with say vandy and northwestern. having both bama and nd the same year was stupid.
Surf, just saying that at a time when we really need something to incentivize fans to come to games, scheduling these 3 won't do it. Clemson does play 1 SEC team, South Carolina. I never complained about not playing in-state schools, and don't remember that being an issue. We play the Cheats, Wake, and, every now and then, NC State. I did bitch a lot about how wasteful it was to play NCCU. Playing Elon and Charlotte is not going to get us more interest in North Carolina recruiting-wise. I hope to heck that we are not competing against those schools for recruits. Finally, playing in just any bowl does not make a team a worthy opponent. Charlotte has had a football team for what? 3 or 4 years? I do not mind playing one in state school that can actually offer us some competition. I do mind playing one just for the sake of playing one. If you think playing Elon will help our recruiting or fan interest, then I respectfully disagree with you.

Reactions: surfdevil
Playing ECU would create interest and put a lot of fannies in the seats. I think our players would be pumped to play before a big crowd. Even if over half were ECU fans. Of course it would be more competitive than a Elon and could possibly result in a loss. However Cut and the powers that be weren’t concerned about losing to Bama. So why not ECU?

I would like to see us play Appalachian and E.Carolina, rather than Elon and Charlotte. Better games, and both schools are in-state w/huge fanbases. Duke would do better at the gate, and both compete w/some of same recruits as us!

Also, and this is Huge: both would be MUCH BETTER PREP for the HUGE MATCHUP game the following wk at Pitt. Thats been Cut's nemesis.

Of course thats just my dream per playing two in-state schools.While Charlotte and Elon are a step down, we do have a legit chance at 3-0, and both schools should bring respectable crowds. One major concern however: I do not know how much the 3 home games against this level of competition (and MTSU), preps us for 4th game at Pitt....

OFC

Last edited:
yeah i would really rather be playing ecu or appy rather than elon also. i just think charlotte is not a bad game. to me they are a team and a location on the rise.
I can be convinced that Charlotte is a legit program. However, of the 7 teams they did beat, the only one with a winning record was Marshall. Their bowl game was against Buffalo which was 6 - 5 going in. They did beat Middle Tennessee, which I would like to get rid of also. App state and ECU would be fine, as would Richmond again.

by the way when you look at the recruit list here ignore the rivals ranking of andrew jones. they are way behind as usual. they list him as a tight end which he did start his junior season at TE but switched to the OT spot after a few games and killed it.

by the way when you look at the recruit list here ignore the rivals ranking of andrew jones. they are way behind as usual. they list him as a tight end which he did start his junior season at TE but switched to the OT spot after a few games and killed it.

Right, he'll play OT I feel for certain at Duke.

OFC

just an update for your fyi on portal list
britton brown undecided
scott bracey undecided
aaron young florida atlantic
liam smith undecided
jaylen miller undecided
xander gagnon undecided
jacob morganstern undecided
isaiah kemp ecu
javon jackson undecided
a j reed undecided

just an update for your fyi on portal list
britton brown undecided
scott bracey undecided
aaron young florida atlantic
liam smith undecided
jaylen miller undecided
xander gagnon undecided
jacob morganstern undecided
isaiah kemp ecu
javon jackson undecided
a j reed undecided

Have a feeling Young will rack up some great numbers at Fla Atlantic if he stays healthy. Cant blame him at all for not desiring to stay mired in this sputtering offensive scheme.Kemp probably making a good move too. I wonder if ECU recruited him in high school?

Obviously the majority of others are undecided. Wonder if any of those skill position guys like Brown, Bracey are waiting to see if Roper is replaced? OFC

kemp is an attitude/academic casualty. was basically told to find somewhere else. britton wants much bigger pastures and i hope he can stay healthy for whomever he decides on but per some other sites insiders he is 100% gone. britton and miller are the only 2 of these guys that i hate losing but neither had
set the world on fire with duke. WHEN britton was healthy he was a very very good rb but he just couldnt stay on the field. miller was a solid 2 deep back up but that is all he ever gave us. wish all these kids well and hope a new start works out well for them.

kemp is an attitude/academic casualty. was basically told to find somewhere else. britton wants much bigger pastures and i hope he can stay healthy for whomever he decides on but per some other sites insiders he is 100% gone. britton and miller are the only 2 of these guys that i hate losing but neither had
set the world on fire with duke. WHEN britton was healthy he was a very very good rb but he just couldnt stay on the field. miller was a solid 2 deep back up but that is all he ever gave us. wish all these kids well and hope a new start works out well for them.
Surf thanks for all the info! Very much appreciated as ALWAYS.. OFC

It's looking more likely that Roper will again be our OC again next year. That's not a good thing!!!
OFC
what i am seeing on multiple boards is that Cutt is going to personally take over the play calling and roper basically a qb coach.
also we might be still in the market/talking to a qb and an ot grad transfer. would be huge gets if they happen and they would fill our two biggest needs left.
also hearing that leiiten is ready to go and will compete for an ot spot.

okay so the cat is now out of the bag and i am not giving away another sites ''insider'' info
chase brice QB from clemson will be at duke this weekend to check us out. will have 2 years left and can play right away
devery hamilton OT from stanford a former 4 star will also be at duke this weekend to check us out

what i am seeing on multiple boards is that Cutt is going to personally take over the play calling and roper basically a qb coach.
also we might be still in the market/talking to a qb and an ot grad transfer. would be huge gets if they happen and they would fill our two biggest needs left.
also hearing that leiiten is ready to go and will compete for an ot spot.
Cutt taking over as de facto OC is better situation, but still not ideal. I think we need some fresh, quality input on offensive schemes and strategy.

okay so the cat is now out of the bag and i am not giving away another sites ''insider'' info
chase brice QB from clemson will be at duke this weekend to check us out. will have 2 years left and can play right away
devery hamilton OT from stanford a former 4 star will also be at duke this weekend to check us out
The great thing about Brice is that he performs well under pressure. Would be a great get. Hopefully we work harder to get him than we did the last time a Clemson QB was transferring. Everyone thought that that kid would be coming to Duke, but he went to Northwestern instead. Don't know how he did there.

I don't have a problem with Cut taking over the offensive calls. Didn't we feel like there was a change for the better at the end of the season, and that was traced to Cut being more proactive? I think he was always known as having a good mind for the offensive side. But until it's announced, it's just rumors.

Cutt taking over as de facto OC is better situation, but still not ideal. I think we need some fresh, quality input on offensive schemes and strategy.

It will pacify some Duke football fans, but its just a change to please the masses. Do NOT expect drastic changes-the current offensive system in effect is actually Cut's system. However if Roper is at least off the headset upstairs its a step forward....OFC

huge huge weekend for duke. the coaches are going to throw out everything they got. if we can land both a quality qb and ot transfer it would change everything next year. dead period starts next week so this is a really big thing to get these kids on campus for the last open weekend.

huge huge weekend for duke. the coaches are going to throw out everything they got. if we can land both a quality qb and ot transfer it would change everything next year. dead period starts next week so this is a really big thing to get these kids on campus for the last open weekend.

Definitely significant! OFC

Just to possibly have a qb from a big time program that has experience playing in game with outcome on the line has to be a positive.

Reactions: hart2chesson
fyi
devery hamilton is 6'7'' and 301 lbs. he was a 4 star and ranked #252 overall coming out of high school
played in 11 games in 2018 and started 6 of them. got hurt early last seson.
will have one year left but if it goes well and he enjoys it he still has his medical hardship year available. 2 years would be huge

Last edited:
reading really good things about the visits this weekend.
both brice and hamilton got crystal ball picks for duke transfer today. (remember they can announce transfer whenever so not bound by signing day next week)
this would be HUGE for us. 3 quality qbs next year. experienced OT to help out the line.
add the two late ( i hope) signees in penn and coffey and the coaches will have hit a homerun in the late period.

Last edited:
to me the biggest thing about brice is the ''big game atmosphere'' experience he is going to bring to us. this kid has played in and prepped for conference and national championship games and i think that he will be able to share that knowledge to luca (fr) and gunnar (rfr). having 2 really good freshman qbs getting a chance to learn leadership and winning from chase is huge to me.

Brice is a huge get. Love adding Charlotte to the schedule. They are an up and coming team and with them adding grad transfer Tre Harbison to their ground game is a big pick up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT